Friday 2 July 2021

Should we talk about the weather?

As in most countries with temperate climates, moaning about the weather is a national pastime in Belgium.  And I'm guilty as charged, as I don't particularly care for weather that's too hot or too wet, nor am I a fan of snow and ice, all of which offer plenty of moaning opportunities.

Take Summer weather, for instance. In my book, the perfect Summer's day is a sunny one, with the temperature not exceeding 25°C and a light shower overnight to keep the garden happy. Surely that's not too much to ask?

The official Summer season being imminent on Sunday the 20th of June, the day was almost but not quite perfect. Initially overcast, there were sunny spells as the day progressed, reaching highs of about 24°C.


I'd already worn one of my favourite Summer dresses to work on Friday but, after a day's airing, I decided to wear it again that Sunday before chucking it into the laundry basket.

This sleeveless cotton shirt dress with its funky floral pattern was a Think Twice sales bargain back in June 2017. When I walked into the shop wearing it a couple of days later, I was stopped by a lady who told me she'd been dithering over the dress but didn't buy it as she didn't have a clue how to style it! Well, what can I say but that I'm glad she put it back. It just had to be mine, as its former owner was an Ann(e) too. Anne K Lindefjell, to be exactly, so I'm guessing she was either Norse or Swedish. 

With its different shades of green, and dashes of orange and pink, I actually think its's a doddle to style. 

This time, the starring role went to orange, which I added with a vintage necklace, a vinyl, half-elasticated belt and a polka dot cardigan. The latter two were once bought on the high street but have more than earned their keep in my wardrobe by now.  Oh, and I almost forgot to mention my orange shoes, which were a charity shop find.

The green swallows-in-flight brooch is modern and was bought in a lovely shop called Mundos on Cardigan High Street during one of our Welsh holidays.



It was the sudden drop in temperature - coming down from the low thirties - which made me grab for the cardigan to cover my bear arms. That, and the copious amount of rain which had fallen overnight, and which had left quite a bit of dampness in its wake.

The garden had received a thorough drenching and some of our plants were in desperate need of a helping hand. Swathes of Nepeta had flopped across the garden path and needed staking (top left), as did the pink Foxglove which was lying horizontally on a bed of Geranium sanguineum. I also gave a gentle push into the right direction to the herbaceous Clematis 'Mrs. Robert Brydon', who was refusing to grow towards the dead wood climbing structure we'd provided it with (bottom right).



Something old, something new! The old being our faithful Hydrangeas and the curry plant (Helichrysum italicum) which, after a year of dormancy, is now regaling us with clusters of bright yellow flowers.

New to our garden are Achillea ptarmica 'The Pearl' (top left), which turned out to be an absolute delight with its informal heads of lacy, button-like white daisies, as well as the two-tone pink Lupines, which have produced several flower spikes. Behind the Lupines looms Malva alcea 'Fastigiata', bought as a tiny scrap of a plant last Summer. Now it is absolutely huge and brimming with the promise of dozens of flowers.



I needed to stake Geranium 'Rozanne' as well, to give some breathing space to the woolly Lamb's Ear leaves (Stachys byzantina) growing underneath.  On its right, Helenium 'The Bishop' will soon provide delicious colour contrast.

We had some adulting to do that day, including applying for a free parking permit, as our street will soon become a restricted parking zone. I'm notoriously bad at adulting, I should add, always have and always will be, but quite often needs must. 



That finished, Jos discovered that the submersible pump in our basement had given up the ghost.

As our washing machine is in the basement, Jos has devised a clever construction to pump up the waste water to street level and, as we'd just done a load of washing, we were lucky our basement wasn't flooded! Obviously, Jos wasted no time in driving down to the DIY store to buy a new one, which was promptly installed. 

More adulting and more than enough to be the cause of the dreaded Sunday blues!



On Monday, the official start of Summer, we woke up to rain, which lasted for most of the day and came accompanied with a drop in temperature to 18°C. The upside was that we didn't have to water the garden, leaving me with plenty of time to catch up with blogland.

More of the same weather on Tuesday, too wet and cold to even contemplate any outdoor activities.

It was, however, the perfect weather for one of my beloved Diolen frocks and, as the day definitely needed brightening up, I opted for this mustard yellow one sprinkled with white, green and orange flowers. We were halfway through our photo session when Jos noticed that I wasn't wearing my necklace!



Again, I picked orange for some of my accessories, which included said necklace - which I'd quickly retrieved from upstairs - and a vintage flower brooch, a charity shop and flea market find respectively.

A green belt was added at my waist, and a green cardigan layered on top. On my feet, the green suede ankle boots I charity shopped a couple of months ago.

Speaking of charity shops, with anything outdoorsy ruled out, this is where we were headed to. The charity shopping gods must have taken pity on us, as we were amply rewarded.

On our return, however, we noticed that the tangle of ivy, Winter jasmine and Clematis growing up the wall above the rock garden had taken a bit of a tumble. This called for emergency measures, so we cut back armfuls of the rampant climbers in the pouring rain, taking care not to damage the Clematis which had deigned to grow flower buds in the face of neglect.



There, much better, although it needs neatening once the weather stays dry for long enough.

And now, without further ado, here's what I found in the charity shops that day. 

First up are these two knee-length skirts, which are both lined and label-less. In the meantime, I already wore the one on the left, with its painterly watercolour print



Both these tops are modern. The green plaid-patterned one on the left is ... you guessed it ... King Louie, while the jewel coloured long-sleeved one with its sweetheart neckline is from retro label Zoë Loveborn.



This gauzy, lined maxi skirt is modern as well, originating from that quintessential high street shop, C&A, still going strong here in Belgium. It's a tiny bit too long for vertically challenged me so I'll have to wear a bit of a heel with it.



If you think this is another maxi skirt, well, you're wrong! It's a pair of palazzo trousers! The background colour is a deep bottle green, which was very hard to catch on camera. I fell head over heels for its colour and yellow, white and grey Dahlia pattern and was overjoyed to find it was my size.



One of the first things I pulled from the rails was this handmade cotton jumpsuit which, in spite of initial doubts, turned out to be a perfect fit. It's gloriously slouchy, with an elasticated waist and pockets! 

It looked totally rubbish when I photographed it on a hanger, and as it's not exactly a garment I can put on "legless" Angelica, there was nothing for it but to showcase it myself. As it was only 15°C at the time, I'm sure you'll appreciate the effort and dedication.



Last but not least are these orange and red Spanish made sandals. They are ridiculously comfortable to wear but, again, they will have to wait for their first outing until Summer is back on track. Brr, it did feel more like mid-Autumn these last couple of days!



If the temperature has been quite sub-standard, here's something to warm your hearts!

She might look like butter wouldn't melt, but she's the devil in disguise ...



I'm wishing you all a wonderful weekend, whatever your up to, and surely I don't have to remind you to stay healthy and happy!



32 comments:

  1. Oh, isn't wee Bess such a dear?!

    I love your dresses in both outfits here, Ann - that first one makes my heart sing! You can just ship that right over to me, thank you very much! :)

    Your use of orange in accessories is wonderful, very sunny and bright. I LOVE your new palazzo pants and that jumpsuit looks fabulous! Try just rolling the waistband of your maxi skirt to pull the hem higher - you can hide it with a belt. Or, don't do up the waistband, and just tuck it under and cover your work with one of your stretchy belts.

    I hope you're getting proper summer weather now! Your garden is looking gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila, yes she is, especially when she's sleeping :-) I think I'll keep that dress in my wardrobe, but I'll be thinking of you if I ever decide otherwise! xxx

      Delete
  2. Bess is so cute and how funny you wore the dress someone had been too unsure to buy - they were probably feeling bad for not buying it after seeing how well you wore it! :) I relaly like that jumpsuit on you too!

    Hope you get to enjoy proper summer weather. I have to say though a day with highs of 24 sounds like a nice winter day for us, haha! It got so warm on Monday I even considered taking my jacket off - think it got up to 23 on the coast where we were. Was a cold morning though!

    Now it's rainy and wet :(

    Hope you are having a good weekend :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica! I can't believe you're having 24°C in Winter! xxx

      Delete
  3. Moaning about weather is a popular American pastime as well. It has been giving us plenty to complain about.
    You have so many great orange accessories in your wardrobe. I do like how you styled the green and orange dress.
    Adulting has felt like a genuine challenge lately. Oh well, at least you know that ultimately you are capable of adulting which is more than I can say for many others.
    Bess is adorable.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Goody, and yes, you're right, adulting has been quite a challenge for me lately as well ... xxx

      Delete
  4. Today is the perfect summerday then. :-) However, I do not mind hot, but hate the cold. The perfect place to live regarding the weather would be the geografic latitude of Rome: one more month of high summer, spring starting in February and fall ending in December.

    Take care!

    Regula

    ReplyDelete
  5. cutie bess may or not melt butter - but she melt my heart!! aww******
    and you look great matching the black eyed susans and i´m very glad that you not freezed to death in the pretty jumpsuit ;-D
    we had very heavy rain here too, hydrangea needed some staging..... all the other flowers mastered the weather without any damage.
    have fun in your colourful garden! hugsies! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a little heartbreaker, that's for sure! I did a massive garden clear up on Friday and Saturday, only for it to rain heavily again on Saturday night! We need the rain, but it's been a bit too much lately! xxx

      Delete
  6. How did you know that the former owner of that dress was a Ann E??? I love that swallow brooche. If I ever decide to take a tattoo, it will have swallows in it. Enjoy the weekend, I just move from my grass to the lounge area as it started to rain. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly me forgot to mention that, Nancy: there's a name label sewn into the dress :-) xxx

      Delete
  7. Grumbling about the weather is a world wide pursuit I,m sure. Your garden is showing so many colourful delights, giving me planting ideas come Spring here.
    You have founds some treasures in the charity shops, the skirts are wonderful as are the sandals.
    Well done on modelling the jumpsuit for us on the chilly day, hopefully warmer days will return soon. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it is, Jill :-) I'm hoping to be able to wear that jumpsuit out and about soon. July has been quite a disappointment so far ... xxx

      Delete
  8. Oh Bess ist soooo cute! 🥰💕
    This jumpsuit is amazing and fits you so well. oumhave a very good hand for charity shopping. Jos is very attentive to photography. He notices when a necklace is missing. 10 points for him! 😁👍
    By the way, I like this weather. ☺️
    with a very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina, and I agree she is very cute indeed :-) Jos isn't always that attentive, but I'm glad he caught the mistake :-) xxx

      Delete
  9. Bess is adorable.😍💕
    I love both of your dresses and outfits. The first dress with different shades of green and a pink red floral print is so fabulous. I love how you accessorized with orange. The second mustard yellow dress looks fantastic paired with green. I love that collage edit with your floral brooch that looks just like flowers in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! The first dress is definitely one of my favourites, and I'm always looking forward to wearing it in Summer! xxx

      Delete
  10. Awww, that picture of Bess all snuggled up is adorable!
    Talking about the weather is a national pastime - or used to be before Covid took over.
    Fancy that lady putting your dress back becuase she didn't know how to "style" it (I hate that phrase). More fool her! The print is fabulous and I love the colour combination of the green and mustard in the second outfit. The jumpsuit looks great and a perfect fit! Well done to Jos for noticing the missing necklace, Jon would photo me with my skirt tucked in my knickers and not say a word.
    Great finds in the chazzas, you do really well with your King Louie.
    The garden looks fabulous but I know what you mean, all this rain means constantly staking and cutting things back but we wouldn't have it any other way. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so tired of talking about Covid that I'll gladly switch to talking about the weather again :-) I hate that phrase too, by the way. Jos is becoming quite good at noticing things like that. I'm quite sure he'd point it out if I had my skirt tucked into my knickers :-) xxx

      Delete
  11. Dear Anne, I totally agree with you about the perfect Summer day, only that this perfect day would happen probably in the spring or autumn here!. Our summer tends to be hotter than this (even in our northern corner of Spain!) but I'm managing it!
    Totally in love with your cotton shirt dress and the way you styled it, the orange cardi enhances its bright colours, the accessories look so fab!, Gorgeous!! (a joy for my sore eyes!)
    And also lovely mustard, orange and green ensemble, you're so brilliant!, your brooch and necklace are particularly adorable!
    Your garden is looking so fabulously lush, everything is growing really fast and the flowers are amazing!.
    Admiring your fab finds!, the watercolour print skirt looks amazing and the jumpsuit has a lovely print too, so cute piece!.
    But concerning cuteness, nothing can beat your Bess!, she's melting hearts!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it would be more likely to happen here in Spring or Autumn as well. In my imagination, Summer days were like that when I was growing up, but perhaps I was more heat resistant back them :-) xxx

      Delete
  12. You have some beautiful plants in the garden Ann. I love trailing geraniums xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurie! I'm a fan of trailing geraniums myself! xxx

      Delete
  13. I'm with you on the perfect summer weather - that sounds just what I like, too!

    Loved the outfits especially the mustard and green ensemble and oh those green ankle boots are fab! I cannot imagine OH pointing out I wasn't wearing any beads/necklace in my outfit, so well done to Jos for being so observant. And also well done Jos for fixing a new pump. That sounds like such a good idea for waste water and I think it should be compulsory - but do you have to have a basement, I wonder?

    You certainly were on a roll in the charity shops. Loved the water colour skirt particularly and the palazzo pants and the fab sandals were my favourites. The jumpsuit looked great on you - I forgot Angelica doesn't have any legs! It's hard to dress a mannequin without legs as I discovered last week in my charity shop when the manager asked me to dress the legless mannequin in the window in shorts - I struggled...

    Hope your weather is more summery now,
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you'd appreciate my perfect Summer day too! I'm glad Jos has become quite observant in these things lately. I had to giggle at the mental imagine of you trying to dress up a legless mannequin in shorts :-) xxx

      Delete
  14. You have done well at the charity shops and how fabulous is your garden looking?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you got that dress too! It looks great on you. You've got a great eye for charity shop finds.

    Adulting is always a chore. It does feel good to get it done, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mim, and you're right, it does feel good once things are done! xxx

      Delete
  16. Yes, let's! It might be a Canadian thing, but I can happily chat about the weather from sun up to sun down. It's all but a national sport in this country! :D

    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    PS: The closing photo here is off-the-charts adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Autumn, I guess talking about the weather is a national sport in Belgium as well :-) xxx

      Delete