Tuesday 9 March 2021

The seldom seen cat

Allow me to introduce you to Bess! She's almost two and we adopted her from an animal shelter last Thursday.

She's been with us for 5 days now, spending the first 2 hiding under our 1930s cupboard. In order to allow her to get used to her new surroundings, we left her in peace, although we talked to her whenever we passed. We put out food and water, as well as her litter box in the vicinity of her hidey hole, and were quite relieved when on Friday afternoon and Saturday we noticed she'd made use of all her facilities.


On Sunday morning, we found her in one of our wicker dining chairs. Apparently, overnight she'd played with almost all of the toys we'd provided her with, which we found scattered all over the dining room. She'd also devoured all of her wet and dry food. She's still extremely shy so although our hands are itching to do so, we refrain from trying to pet her, continuing to talk to her in a soothing way instead until she's used to us. By this time, she has already tried out all of our wicker chairs, from where she can spy on us in safety.

For now, she'll remain the seldom seen cat!



As is often the case, I'm getting ahead of myself, but how could I possibly have kept this wonderful piece of news from you? But now I'm inviting you once again to step back in time with me, to Saturday the 20th of February.

If I'd woken up feeling a bit morose, my mood was soon improved considerably courtesy of the sunny and Springlike weather. 

After our final fruit & yoghurt breakfast of the week, I got dressed. Actually, make that twice, as my first outfit of the day was the Clara Oswald outfit I dressed up in for Kezzie's virtual Dr. Who cosplay party. This is what I changed into afterwards! 



The thin magenta jumper, which I charity shopped in December 2019, has a bit of sparkle in its weave and a triangular inset at the collar, and is from the mail-order company 3 Suisses. The blue and pink brooch I pinned to it was a flea market find. 

I picked up the floral pleated skirt at Oxfam pre-lockdown II, in October 2020, while the bottle green belt was charity shopped in December, just after non-essential shops were allowed to re-open again. I'm sure you've already spotted the bright green ankle boots I found the other day.

As I wanted to pay tribute to all the colours in my skirt, I added a pair of sky blue opaques.



With the temperature a balmy 16°C, I gave in to the lure of the garden, which was in sore need of some TLC. Most of the plants on the plant tables just outside our back door had suffered during our recent week of sub-zero temperatures. There were plenty of geraniums still cheerfully flowering before the cold wave hit us. Now they were limp and blackened and, in all probability, dead. Nevertheless, I gave them the benefit of the doubt and cut them back, grouping the pots at the back of the garden.

There were several terracotta pots and a leaky enamel coffee pot of pansies which, although flowerless, seemed to have survived unscathed. As, remarkably, did the pots of pinks, one of which is now going into its third year!

My garden chores were accompanied by the heady fragrance of Sarcococca (Winter box), an evergreen winter-flowering shrub whose diminutive flowers are highly scented (top right and bottom left).



Another sunny, early Spring day awaited us on Sunday, with the temperatures reaching highs of 18°C.

How resilient we humans are! Only just over a week ago the thermometer indicated sub-zeros down to minus 10, a difference of almost 30 degrees Celsius!

After our Sunday breakfast of omelettes, I dressed in my gardening gear (rust cord skirt and green jumper) and hopped into the garden again. I finally cleared the remains of the climbing  Nasturtiums and cut back armfuls of ivy, of which Jos made two large bundles for collection by the council in the first week of March. Surely he deserved that pot of vanilla and chocolate pudding after all that hard work :-)



Afterwards, I rewore Saturday's sky blue opaques, this time combining them with a handmade purple floral frock I found in a vintage per kilo shop in the Autumn of 2019. In fact, until I was typing this, I'd quite forgotten the existence of that shop, which I regularly frequented, alongside Think Twice, in my Pre-Covid lunch breaks.



I added a sky blue belt with a double-prong buckle, a white and blue beaded necklace and my blush pink retro style shoes, all of which were charity shop finds.

The Lucite brooch is vintage, and was charity shopped as well. I found it in a shop in Oswestry, Shropshire, during our last UK holiday in June 2019.



Monday was a cloudy day but, at 17°C, still unseasonably warm. It was insanely hectic at the office, leaving me a nervous wreck by the time I got home.

All clouds - except those inside my head - had dispersed by Tuesday morning, when we woke up to yet another gorgeous Spring day. However, realizing my days of leisure would soon be over, I was feeling jittery and unsettled all day. In a bid to dispel my apprehension, we thought a visit to the garden centre might be in order.

Of course, it was impossible to resist bringing home a box full of Spring colour!



The shop also has a pet department which, as we were thinking of adopting a new feline friend, we wanted to check out. Here, resistance was futile as well ... and money well spent, as they have all been played with already! Bess particularly likes the little balls, which came in a variety pack of three and have a tinkling bell inside.



Back at home, I planted up all my new treasures, which include tiny but striking Iris reticulata, which is one of the earliest Spring flowers, as well as a pink double flowered Bellis perennis (a cultivar of the common daisy) and a selection of Primulas.

Apart from the ubiquitous large-flowered polyantus Primulas, I was delighted to see several varieties of Primula acaulis hybrids for sale. These produce a profusion of smaller, individual flowers on single stems. I've read that they will self-seed profusely, so I might get some more for the garden as well. 



Here's the pot of yellow Primulas and Iris reticulata, taken a couple of days later, when courtesy of the continuing Springlike weather, most of the Irises had erupted into a firework of deep violet blooms with central yellow splashes.



I was wearing a firework of colour myself, picking an outfit whose main components (skirt, blouse, cardigan and even my ankle boots) were charity shopped during the pandemic.

The folksy skirt, with its print of blowsy pink roses towards the them, is vintage and wide and swooshy enough for a twirl or two. I wore it with a burgundy, flower infused Esprit blouse in a lightweight jersey fabric. On top, a mustard coloured cardigan by Belgian brand Van Hassels. It is slightly sparkly - which isn't easy to catch on camera - and is trimmed with red at its collar.



To the blouse, I pinned one of my vintage flower embroidered brooches. I added a multicoloured wooden beaded necklace and a tan belt with a rectangular buckle.

My outfit, combined with the Spring colour provided by the flowers, did wonders for my muddled soul.

In fact, the only thing that bothered me was my hair.  It might look reasonable enough in these photos, but its general unruliness and the grey which had appeared unbidden on the sides - if you look closely, you can see a wisp of grey on the right in the below photo - were doing my head in.


But not for much longer, as I'd managed to grab a slot at the hairdresser's on Thursday the 25th! 

All will be revealed in my next post!

In the meantime, what about this bevy of natural beauties? The daff on the top left is one of the few which are currently rearing their heads in our garden. They have re-grown from a pot of flowering bulbs I managed, with great difficulty, to procure in March 2020, when all non-essential shops were closed during the first stage of lockdown I.  I allowed them to die down in peace after flowering and planted them out in the garden back in Autumn.



See you next time, until then, it's the same year-old mantra: stay safe, sane and as sensational as possible!


42 comments:

  1. Eeeek! Bess is gorgeous, what a pretty little girl. I'm so happy that there's another cat in Dove Cottage. I was missing seeing Phoebe in your photos, now I can swoon over Bess!
    It looks like spring has sprung in your part of the world, lovely Spring like outfits, Jos dining al fresco, sunshine and pretty flowers.
    Your new-to-you boots look wonderful with the pleasted midi skirt, the handmade purple frock is fabulous and the patten mixing in the last outfit is sublime.
    I'm off to tell Jon the exciting news, there's a new cat in blogland! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! It's such a joy to have Bess in our lives, even at this stage! She's actually made both of us forget there's a pandemic going on! I'm afraid Spring has come and gone here ... can't wait for it to start in earnest! xxx

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your new family member. Before you know it she'll be ruling your lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm positive Bess will be in your lap before you know it. Cats know good people.
    We are still a way off from flowers in the garden so I'll enjoy yours. It is hard to believe this year's weather, worldwide apparently.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Goody! It's baby steps, but I'm sure we'll get there in the end. I can't believe this year's weather either, it has been quite stormy these last couple of days! xxx

      Delete
  4. How nice that you have a fury companion again. She will be with you sooner or later. :-) By the way, I love your green and red shoes very much.

    Have a lovely week!

    Regula

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello bess!!!
    so cute! i was wondering if you´r going to adopt a new one...... and there she is!
    spring is making big progress at your´s - so many flowers and you´r wearing a light skirt already........ love the colors and the plissé!
    here´s still winter - frozen soil and nights with subzero temps and snow in the forecast. the garden is still sleeping.
    hugsies! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate! We were always going to adopt another one, but obviously we needed to get over the worst of the mourning for Phoebe first. Didn't want it to feel as if she was easily replaceable! xxx

      Delete
  6. Its lovely to see more photos of Bess. You are being so gentle and welcoming that she is bound to love you both. I love that she's feeling at home enough fo play with her toys.
    I think the folksy style (that I so love) really suits you.
    Your garden is already looking gorgeous. I find myself getting excited everytime I see new spring flowers here and I've been flinging packets of wild flower seeds into all the borders, both to see what happens and to compete with some of the less attractive 'weeds' which I hate to just pull out if I can help it!xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally! It was made clear that Bess needed a quiet home, without children or other animals, where she could find her "paws" in her own time! Flinging packets of wild flower seeds int the border is a great idea! xxx

      Delete
    2. I've just read this after writing about Harry! So my lovely Morris solution would be no help to you!! xxx

      Delete
    3. All advice is welcome, Sally, who knows she'll benefit from a companion in the future! xxx

      Delete
  7. Oh Bess is just gorgeous! Bright eyed and possibly bushy tailed? I'm so glad she seems to be settling in well.

    I loved your outfits and the new footwear looked fantastic. You will be so happy when you come out of your hairdressers on 25th! Reading you writing about those beautiful warm February days seems like a long time ago. It's horrible here today, grey,wet, windy and cold!

    Lovely blooms from the Garden centre; I'm trying to stay away; I spend far too much when I go but OH did buy some lovely purple double flowering primulas and some pinks at the weekend; all of which have been planted now.

    We're looking forward to the next stage of easing out of lockdown here on 29th March; only 18 days to go!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni, she's bright eyed and bushy tailed indeed :-) Being able to go to the hairdresser was a blessing! I'm on the lookout for some double flowering primulas. I bet you're counting down the days until the 29th of March! xxx

      Delete
  8. Hello to Miss Bess, she is so lovely and I love the way you are letting her settle in, in her own way. I don’t think it will be long before she’s seeking you out for a cuddle.
    I love your Saturday outfit and I’m still convinced you’ve lost weight either that or lockdown agrees with you, you’re looking lovelier than ever.
    Philip is thrilled you’ve got a new fur baby
    We are hunkered down this afternoon after our shopping trip as the weather is foul.
    Take care xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn! We knew from the beginning that we needed to bide our time with Bess. We have all the time in the world to let her settle in and overcome her fears.
      Not having scales, I can't be sure I've lost weight, but I wouldn't be surprised :-) xxx

      Delete
  9. You should have seen my hair! I was white! Not even grey but white! Not anymore. Well Bess, you need to show yourself as we want to admire you more. I'm so happy for you that there is another fur ball in the house. What a joy. I just received two Zara dresses, unworn, with the tag still on. Yeah, happy. Love your folksy skirt! And the photo where Jos is enjoying his pudding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, didn't it feel fabulous to finally get our hair done?Bess will need to overcome her fear before we can take anymore pictures of her. We don't want to scare her off! xxx

      Delete
  10. You are so cute Bess. You found a wonderful home, you know.;)
    Ann she is so cute.♥ It takes a little time.
    You look gorgeous in your wonderful spring skirts. So many flowers ♥
    With a very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tina! I think Bess is slowly starting to realize how lucky she is :-) xxx

      Delete
  11. KITTY!! Oh, Bess is a darling little one, isn't she? I laughed at her coming out in the middle of the night to explore (as cats will do). I'm sure she will come around to snuggles and cuddles soon enough, as soon as she's done making your home HERS.

    Some fabulous outfits here, my friend! You look wonderful in that magenta in the first look (and I LOVE your longer hair!), and your deep purple dress is stunning. What an amazing skirt that vintage one is, with the flowers splashed near the border! It's immensely cheering.

    Lovely to see your garden, Ann - all those flowers are balm for my soul. What a year. Take care, my dear, and enjoy your time with the lovely little Bess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! Bess is still sneaking around, as she has yet to overcome her fear. But it's incredible how much progress she has made over just one week! xxx

      Delete
  12. Hello to Bess , I am sure she will soon settle in and find her place in your family .
    I do love all your outfits, there is Spring in the air.
    Spring is the best time in the garden , as the bulbs poke their little faces through. The new primulas are so joyful with the bright happy colours. Take care and enjoy . xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill! Spring is indeed the most exciting time in the garden and it's just impossible to resist all that colour in the garden centre! xxx

      Delete
  13. I was so pleased to see you'd got Bess! And she will come round in time. Do you know what sort of home she had before coming to you? My two were found as feral kittens and we didn't see them for two whole weeks after we got them. But once cats realise they've got a good home they settle in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mim! Unfortunately she was a foundling - did she run away or was she abandoned? We'll never know. We didn't know Phoebe's past either, but it seems that Bess is much more traumatized. We're giving her all the time she needs! xxx

      Delete
  14. Bess is adorable! I'm sure it won't be long before she warms up and is part of the family - it must be a lot for her! When we adopted our pup he was terrified - but he was almost the opposite from Bess - he couldn't stand to be apart from us and he would cry if he couldn't see us. We put him outside while we were building furniture and he howled the whole time poor baby. We had to go apologise to all our neighbours when we left the house for groceries as he howled so much! thankfully he settled in quickly when he realised we weren't leaving :)

    Hope you are having a good weekend :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica! Oh that poor pup! They all have their own way of settling in, haven't they? xxx

      Delete
  15. Warmest welcome, darling Bess! You are such a gorgeous girl! (Who looks remarkably similar to our cherished late Stella.)

    My heart is overflowing with joy for you three, dearest Ann. May you enjoy many beautiful, happy, healthy years together.

    Huge hugs to you and Bess, coupled with many a sunny wish for this penultimate winter weekend.

    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Autumn! She is indeed gorgeous, and we are giving her all the time she needs to settle in and overcome her fears! xxx

      Delete
  16. Bess is so cute spying on you from the chairs. She might be a seldom seen cat, but she is adorable:)
    The purple flock you're wearing is absolutely divine. I love the soft pink touches in the print. Such a feminine and beautiful dress and it looks perfect on you. I love your two outfits with skirts as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ivana! That purple dress is such a delight, isn't it? xxx

      Delete
  17. Welcome, little Bess, sweet kitten ... you are lucky to live in a house full of love ...
    Hugs, Carmela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Carmela! She'll still need time to adjust, though. I would so love to cuddle her, but she isn't ready for that yet! xxx

      Delete
  18. I forgot to comment on your wonderful new hairstyle in the last post! It really does look lovely!
    Very happy to read of Bess, what a darling! I hope you will all be happy!
    The flowers in your post made me really happy to see. So gorgeous and I look forward to being able to plant up our new planter with beautiful plants too!
    So many lovely outfits. I particularly like the last one- it hangs together so nicely.
    It's crazy to think there were temperature differences of 40 degrees!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie! It didn't look as good after a couple of days, though. I'm so looking forward to Springtime in the garden! xxx

      Delete
  19. She's so cute! I'm sure she'll gain her confidence soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nikki, she's gorgeous and I cannot wait for the day that she's ready for a cuddle. xxx

      Delete
  20. Glad to see Bess is playing and eating, this is good news!, she looks adorable!
    And so lovely to see your floral outfits matching these new plants in your garden!. Lovely floral skirt and pink top, lovely purple dress (a favourite colour!) and lovely firework of colour in your folksy skirt and cute floral blouse!
    (Sorry for being so late, Evil Blogger ate my comments!)
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica, for your comment and your perseverance! Naughty Blogger! xxx

      Delete