Wednesday 17 March 2021

The cat's whiskers

Unbelievably, by the time you are reading this, the anniversary of Belgium first going into lockdown has come and gone. And not all that much has changed, really, as the pandemic is still very much with us. After the euphoria of coming out of Lockdown I in the early Summer, when for a moment it looked as if the end was in sight, and rules were being relaxed left, right and centre, things soon started to go pear-shaped again. It's been an uphill struggle ever since and, with infection numbers going up and down like a yo-yo, new variants popping up all over the place, and Belgium's vaccination strategy a painfully and shamefully slow process, it's no wonder that people are starting to lose heart and are quite literally at the end of their tethers.

For a couple of weeks now, I've reverted to my old la-la-la approach, giving the news a wide berth, and trying to concentrate on the positives, however trivial they might be.

Clothes for instance! When life continues to give you lemons, and you've had quite enough of lemonade, there's always that.



It was the last day of February, a sunny Sunday graced with balmy temperatures of up to 12°C. 

In spite of the weather, my back, shoulders and arms, stiff and achy from Saturday's rigorous pruning session, told me I wouldn't do much gardening that day.

Instead, I spent a happy half an hour or so in front of my wardrobe before deciding on this psychedelically patterned vintage dress with its glorious ochre, orange, lilac, purple, turquoise and burgundy colour scheme. I've got a gripe with it, though, as its collar refuses to stay put. Still, I can live with that, so it's not going anywhere anytime soon.



Taking advantage of its multiple colour options, I accessorized the dress with a lilac vinyl belt, purple beaded necklace and a gold-tone brooch featuring two rows of tiny turquoise beads.

Burgundy was represented by my charity shopped King Louie cardigan and the Fly London boots with their turquoise trim. I chose a pair of bright orange opaques to shake things up.



I know I said I wasn't going to do any gardening, but I did plant up the basket hanging from our awning, replacing the withered ornamental cabbage and cyclamen it contained with plum coloured pansies and red pompom daisies. They are joining the surviving yellow pansy, which at that moment wasn't in flower but has made up for that since.



The rest of that Sunday was spent on the couch, resting my weary limbs and devouring my latest read, Christina Baker Kline's 2017 novel, A Piece of the World.  Although a work of fiction, this atmospheric novel is inspired by Andrew Wyeth’s mysterious and iconic painting Christina’s World and is based on the life of the painting's subject, Christina Olson (1883-1968). 

That evening, while I was catching up with blogland upstairs, Jos came up and showed me the details of a cat for adoption at the animal shelter where his daughter had adopted her beloved cat Spookje from. The cat's name was Bees (colloquial for a berry or a sweet), born in 2019, and in need of a calm environment without children or other animals. Although the accompanying photo (which you'll see later in this post) only showed her head, we decided to take the plunge and texted the shelter's manager, Maria, as required.



After having been on tenterhooks all through Monday, waiting for Maria's call, we finally heard back from her in the early evening. An appointment was duly made to go and meet Bees on Thursday.

As I had to work on Wednesday, this only left us Tuesday to go shopping for cat equipment, as we wanted her to have her own things instead of Phoebe's hand-me-downs. We sneaked into the garden centre's pet department together and bought a scratching post, a snuggly cat bed, a litter box, a ceramic food dish and a starter pack of dry food.



I'm sure that you've already been ogling my dotty Diolen frock in the meantime! I dare anyone to stay down in the dumps for long wearing this navy delight liberally sprinkled with pink, green, yellow and white spots! I can actually vow for the fact that it is virtually impossible!

With its empire line, it did not need a belt, but I added a green cardigan on top, pinned with a white felted flower corsage, and wore my wooden beaded necklace which has all the colours of the spots. Mustard-y opaques and my charity shopped blue Western style boots completed my outfit.

Wednesday was another hectic and stressful office day, which made my boss and I decide it was time for an extra day a week, starting that Friday. This was unavoidable, although far from ideal, as it would mean I had to go into the office the day after our new fur baby had taken residence.




Thursday was C-Day, and as we hadn't slept very well for the last couple of nights, doubts had been creeping up on us. Were we making the right decision in taking on what was clearly a traumatized cat? And were we ready for another cat in our lives in the first place? On top of it all, after a string of dry sunny days, it was now raining quite heavily, and we had a 40 minute drive ahead of us. But as you all know by now, we did go ahead as planned and brought her home. 

As for her name, we initially had a totally different one in mind. On the way home, however, while I was sitting next to her in her carrier in the backseat, trying to put her at ease as the poor thing was literally shaking with fear, we decided that it didn't suit her, and came up with the name Bess (as it was close to Bees, which is pronounced base) almost instantly.

On the top left is the photo from the shelter's Facebook page. The one on the bottom right was taken after we got her home and she had taken refuge at the back of her litter box. The white stuff you can see in the foreground isn't a fleecy blanket, but cat litter! She ended up in there after she'd accidentally knocked over a couple of empty bottles when she tried to hide behind our bin, after which she fled behind a chest of drawers and had to be detangled from the cables and wires which live there.





Fast forward two weeks, and while she is still a bit wary of us, slinking back under the dining table whenever we come too near, her eyes are no longer looking as sad and fearful as they did at first. She's inquisitive, playful and has a healthy appetite. She's taking steps into the right direction on a daily basis. At the time of writing, we're alright on the napping and playing front, but still need to work on meowing and stroking. She might as well be mute, as so far she hasn't uttered a single sound.

We were too preoccupied for outfit photos that day, and although I re-wore my outfit in its entirety on Friday, it being an office day meant we had no opportunity for photos either.

After Thursday's one-off rainy day, the sun had reappeared on Friday, and remained with us on Saturday, when we decided to give Bess some peace and quiet by going for a walk in the park.

Although the temperature was barely above freezing point, it was such a gorgeous day, and we certainly weren't the only walkers taking advantage of it. Geese were throwing hissy fits while a congregation of inland seagulls had gathered on the shores of the pond.



There were hosts of golden Daffodils aplenty and patches of March Violets (Viola odorata) to delight us. 

As I'd foolishly packed my warmest coats away, I was wearing the vintage plaid swing coat I charity shopped several years ago, combined with a red and purple knit scarf and my purple mohair beret.

To combat the inevitable muddy patches, my chocolate brown boots came out to play once more.



In spite of the low temperatures, the sun's warmth was benevolent enough to divest myself of my coat to show you the dress I was wearing underneath.

In a rusty red textured polyester (you can see its circle pattern in the close-ups), it is one of the dresses I was stumped to find in the flea market boxes. It was promptly rescued so that it could shine another day. And shine it certainly did.

On top, I was wearing a fluffy sage green cardigan to combat any lingering chills.



We strolled for well over an hour, delighting in the abundant signs of Spring we met along the way and, as usual, ended up at the picturesque castle ruins, where its current owner sat honking loudly to deter any likely trespassers.



Before going back home and probably scare the living daylights out of Bess, we made detailed outfit photos against the white painted brick wall of our garage building.

My hair is looking quite flat here. Gone is the volume Michel created so expertly!



Don't you just love that dress's notched collar? 

I picked several shades of green for my accessories, including the scallop edged gold-tone brooch with its emerald green stone, and my favourite mossy green suede belt.

My millefiori glass ring contains a primary coloured symphony of green, red, yellow and blue.



Finally, here's a closer looks at my necklace, which is a curious arrangement of plain green and black and white glass beads joined by felted circles in the same shades.

On the right, a close-up of my grey opaques sprinkled with rose buds.




So, that is all I've got time for today. I've got a cat waiting to play games with. She is currently quite fascinated by a plastic wind-up mouse so that's my entertainment sorted for tonight. 

See you next time, my friends. As always, do stay safe, sane and sensational!


38 comments:

  1. Oh, your posts always cheer me up immensely, Ann, and seeing Bess' sweet little face (that arm just sticking out there makes me laugh) is wonderful. I'm sure once she gets used to you both (Noisy Man and Woman!), she'll be out and sitting on your laps and meowing at you!

    I wonder if you could tack down the misbehaving collar on the first dress? Your second dress reminds me hugely of a cartoon about DNA! I love the bright pattern. I'm so glad you rescued that red dress - it's such a great basic.

    Take care, my dear friend, and give that little kitty some love for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you Sheila! She has rather a sweet face, hasn't she? I'm glad my posts are cheering you up! And yes, I do think I might just try and tack down that collar next time I find my sewing mojo :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. I love your navy dress with dots! The colors are lovely and the dress is very eye catchy! Bess is a wonderful name, and she looks adorable!
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lovely. I'm pleased you love Bess's name. We're still having a hard time not calling her by her predecessor's name, though :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. So happy to hear Bess (originally Bees) is adjusting well. She is a beauty. So lovely you decided to save her from the shelter, I'm sure she couldn't have better owners.

    Your outfits are lovely. I love your first vintage flock of many colours...how fabulous. The second dress with polka dots is fabulous as well. The polyester red flock is beautiful too. All of your outfits are so feminine and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! We are so glad we saved her too, even if it'll take a while for her to trust us completely! xxx

      Delete
  4. I do the lalala with you Ann. You look stunning in this amazing dotted dress. Your Bess is so cute. Great you adapted her. I am looking forward to her adventures ☺️
    with a very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By all means, Tina, do join me in doing the la-la-la! That dotted dress is an instant pick-me-up whenever I feel a it down! xxx

      Delete
  5. I'm not surprised you fell for Bess after seeing that photo, those beautiful eyes are so sad. She's a gorgeous girl and I love the relaxed way her paws are on the wicker chair. Frank didn't utter a sound for months. We were amazed when he first meiowed as his voice is really high pitched and babylike! His purr took ages too, now it's like a traction engine.
    Love the Morrocan type print if your first dress, the joy of the second and the restraint of the third.
    Your walk looks lovely and the sky is so blue! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew, I'm glad to hear Frank didn't utter a sound for months either. I'd love to hear Bess's meow as well as her purr. I do miss Phoebe's snoring, which I actually found very relaxing! xxx

      Delete
  6. Oh what a sweet cute cat face! I'm sure she will gek at home in no time. I know about the hair, I tried to style it the same way as my hair dresser did, didn't look like that at all! What beautiful dresses you always wear! I always enjoy looking closely at your outfits and discover all details!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! I always make sure to include some close-ups of my outfits' details :-) xxx

      Delete
  7. so good to hear that bess is warming up! she´s so cute in her pretty fur!
    the first dress i a fav of mine because of the pattern and colours.....
    @vaccination: germany is not a jota faster then belgium - it drives me mad. and the lockdown was finished last monday despite dramatically rising numbers of infections and mutations..... but a big election is on the horizon and the politicians want to make points at all the people who think there is no corona at all and restrictions are just chicane.
    try to avoid the news too.
    hugsies! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate! She does have a rather unusual fur, I think. I managed to make some proper close-ups earlier today. We also discovered that her front paws are differently coloured, one is lighter than the other.
      The vaccination thing is driving me mad as well, they're the only way forward, and this snail's pace is actually playing with people's lives! xxx

      Delete
  8. My dad adopted a cat once that insisted on sleeping in the unused but still dirty fireplace. That would have been ok if he didn't have white carpet-there were paw prints throughout the living room! Hopefully Bess will continue to adjust and soon be out of her hiding places and into your lap.

    Vaccinations in Nebraska are stalled, but I successfully took Danny into a neighbouring state for his yesterday. Who knows when I'll get mine? Anyway, La La La sounds like as good a way as any to deal with it. That spotty/dotty dress is divine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear about the fireplace and the white carpet!
      I'm glad Danny got his vaccine. Not sure when I'll get mine either ... xxx

      Delete
  9. Lovely to read about how Bess was adopted and that she's playing and looking more happy. She's so cute!.
    Looking lovely in your first dress with purple details!, love the arabesque print and the brooch!.
    Totally agree about the joy inducing qualities of the polka dot dress, it's Stunning! and you rock it!. Love the matchy necklace too!
    And you look fab in the red dress too, lovely texture, lovely lapels and lovely accessorizing in greens!. So fab photos of you in the sunshine!
    Vaccinations are still painfully slow here, but we've been told that speed will improve soon. Hope that it is true!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! I agree, of course, that Bess is super cute :-)
      I'm keeping my fingers crossed that both our countries will speed up vaccinations soon! xxx

      Delete
  10. Bess is just lovely. I love the photo of her with her paw dangling down in from of the chair. She looks like the Queen in repose...

    What lovely outfits. I adore the spotty dress and red dress was lovely with the green accessories. I think I may have a similar pair of tights to you with tiny rosebuds on and I think they're grey, too. I haven't seen them for a while so I must dig them out. I hear you on collars that won't behave themselves; I have several like that!

    I am sorry that Belgium is carrying out it's vaccination programme so slowly. I think once you've had yours you'll feel more confident and upbeat about the whole pandemic.

    It's interesting Bess hasn't made any sounds yet but I'm

    sure with the loving care you and Jos give her; she will!
    I like the look of that book...
    Take care
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! Well, she might not know it yet, but she's definitely on her way to become the Queen of Dove Cottage! I'm sure I'll feel more confident once I've had my jab, it's the not knowing which is making me feel so deflated. xxx

      Delete
  11. This is wonderful news about the cat Ann. She's a beauty. I had a dog called Bess! I'm sure she will soon be purring in your lap. Much love to you both xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurie! Bess is a lovely name for a dog as well. xxx

      Delete
  12. Take heart that your country is not the only one that is being quite slow on the vaccine front. Best, best case scenario, I may be eligible to get mine in June. They're working largely in terms of prioritizing certain age groups, indigenous communities, and front line workers first (understandable, of course). As such though, being relatively young still and not falling into any of those three groups, even though I'm severely immunocompromised, I'm literally in the last group of people who will be eligible to get the vaccine because of my age. I'm not complaining, it's just a touch surprising.

    As such, we will continue to self-isolate for as long as needed. We've weathered a year, what's a few more weeks or months?

    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Autumn! I do know I'm not alone, nevertheless after all this time I do think a few more week or - heaven forbid - months are a big deal. Not having a light at the end of the tunnel is making it hard to stay positive and motivated. Mine might be in June as well, but there's no guarantee at all. xxx

      Delete
  13. I think if I ever saw you in a mono-chrome outfit I'd worry you'd had a stroke. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ann, you look so stunning, I love your outfits. Not surprised that you're adopting a la la la approach. It seems neverending. Thank goodnesng we're okay on Melbourne atm. Fingers crossed it stays that way. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jess! Dressing up has been my saviour during the pandemic. I'm glad to hear you're okay over there, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way for you! xxx

      Delete
  15. Your polka dots dress is very positivity inducing.
    Bess has beautiful eyes, she seems to be settling in well with you two.
    It's good to see the buds appearing. Your hanging baskets look good. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally! My hands are itching to properly get started in the garden! xxx

      Delete
  16. If Bess is quiet, it might well be a sign that she spent a lot of time on the streets - feral kittens keep quiet for safety. She will find her voice in time!

    I'm so glad you've adopted a timid cat. They do take a lot of work, but I often look at ours and wonder what sort of life they'd have had if we hadn't taken them. You'll feel all the more rewarded the first time Bess sits on your lap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mim! I'm sure she will. I've just looked at a cat whisperer's website, and we seem to do everything he recommends already. All we need is time and patience! xxx

      Delete
  17. Ah, Bess is so lovely-looking. I do hope she continues to grow in confidence and will welcome affection. I'm not used to silent cats! We had noisy ones!
    Your outfits are so cheerful and happy- you definitely cheer up surrounded by all that colour! I love the spotty dress particularly!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird to have a silent cat indeed. Although Phoebe didn't meow very often either. She made up for that by snoring loudly though :-) xxx

      Delete