Sunday 4 August 2019

A stream in the sky

We reached our holiday half-way mark on the last Sunday of June, when we were able to look back at a week full of adventure, with still a whole week of unknown pleasures in front of us.

Initially, the sun was playing hooky, but there was a gap in the clouds by late morning, leaving us with a warm and humid day. Too warm, in any case, for all the layers I was wearing.

We were off to Dudmaston near Bridgnorth again, the estate we visited during our blogger meet-up the week before. As we'd only had time to visit the house that day, we'd scheduled a return visit to explore the gardens, perhaps including a walk around the estate.

Setting off on the winding, single-track country lane which would take us to the nearest A road, little did we know that our journey would be a complicated one. Upon reaching the main road, there were signs warning us of a road closure but, stubborn as we are, we ignored the diversion signs, as this would take us into the opposite direction.


Obviously, upon reaching the actual road closure, we had to admit defeat and make a U-turn. Still persisting in being stubborn, we decided to make our own diversion with the help of our silly Satnav which, as anyone could have told us, didn't end well and made us drive around in circles.

Finally, with the aid of a good old road map - and a little help from my phone's GPS - we were set on the right track, arriving at Dudmaston about 45 minutes later than planned.

As it was lunch time by then, we took the picnic we'd brought with us and, while Jos secured a table under an apple tree in the orchard, I joined the queue for drinks.



After exploring the stables and courtyard, and a circuit of the walled garden, we walked down the sweeping lawns towards the water garden and the lake beyond, which is aptly called Big Pool.

As the weather didn't look too promising when we set out, I decided to wear another pair of trousers, which makes three in just under a week. The pair I'm wearing here was charity shopped on our short break to Bruges back in April. I don't remember where I bought the top, which I've had for absolutely ages, but the cardigan, another King Louie piece, was a charity shop find as well.


As it was a Sunday, there were lots of families visiting the estate, so in order to get away from the hordes of screaming children, we followed a trail downhill to The Dingle for a walk of just under a mile.


The Dingle is a rare and important landscape, a feature typical of the Picturesque movement in garden design that first became fashionable in the late 18th century. The idea was to create an artificial landcape that looked natural, with paths, seats and bridges, to encourage walkers to pause and take in the views.


After leaving the shade of The Dingle, we passed Mill Pond, which was all but obscured by reeds, before reaching Big Pool Dam. The trail then continued along the banks of Big Pool, eventually passing a boathouse, then crossing a meadow leading back towards the garden and hall.


I've included a close-up of my trousers, as Jos kept insisting there was a wilted dandelion on my bum!

Properly restored by afternoon tea, in our case substituted by coffee, we rejoined our car for the return journey, map at the ready to tackle any road closures. 

I guess I don't have to tell you that once again we got a bit lost. At one point, we followed a diversion which took us to the town of Church Stretton where we stopped to get our bearings. As some of the charity shops were open for business, we went for a little browse, leading to the purchase of this rather fabulous raincoat.


Back on the road again, we kept ignoring the silly Satnav as it kept nudging us into the direction of The Burway, a steep and scary road which would take us straight over the Long Mynd. We accidentally took this road last year and weren't all too keen on repeating the experience!


So we kept on driving on the busy main road until the silly Satnav finally proposed a safer alternative.

We still had to tackle a few narrow up and down roads, which rewarded us with some spectacular views, but finally made it home in one piece, if pretty frazzled.


On Monday, we had something quite different in mind. The day's itinerary took us to the Northern reaches of Shropshire, eventually crossing the border into North Wales.

Our aim was to go on a boat trip. Not just an oridinary boat trip, mind you, but one which would take us across a stream in the sky. I can see a few raised eyebrows here, but bear with me, as all will soon be revealed.

Once off the main road, we followed directions to a wharf along the LLangollen Canal belonging to Jones the Boats, who offers boat trips on their tradional, brightly decorated narrowboat, the Eirlys.

Here, we booked tickets for the 11 am departure.


They said to remember to bring your camera and a head for heights. No wonder I'm looking just a wee bit apprehensive here!

I was wearing a jade green vintage frock with a floral print featuring white, light green, yellow and pink, the latter prompting me to wear a pink cardigan on top, while choosing various shades of green for my accessories. I admit I was a bit green around the gills as well!

Once on board, we settled ourselves in our seats for the trip which would take us across the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, which takes the Llangollen Canal across the River Dee in the scenic Vale of Llangollen.

After leaving the wharf, we made our way at a walking pace towards Trevor Basin, which is located next to the aqueduct, where we had to wait our turn, as there's only space for one narrowboat at a time. The system is that the closest boat enters and the others wait.


Pontcysyllte is the longest aqueduct in the UK and, at 38 meters high, it is the highest canal aqueduct in the world. And now that we're talking measurements, it is 307 meters long, 3.7 meters wide and just 1,6 meters deep.

Designed and built by Thomas Telford and Williams Jessop, Pontcysyllte means 'the bridge that connects'. The 18-arched stone and cast iron structure was completed in 1805 having taken ten years to design and build.


Even though there's only a railing next to the towpath and there's quite a steep drop next to the canal itself, crossing the aqueduct by narrowboat wasn't nearly as scary as I'd imagined it would be.

At our turning point, I even swapped places with one of the people who originally sat outside in the front before recrossing the aqueduct.


Pontcysyllte Aqueduct and 11 miles of the Llangollen canal is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Its name is Welsh, obviously, and quite a tongue breaker - it is pronounced Pont–ker-sulth-teh - so no wonder that it's called 'Ponty' for short.


Back at the wharf after our 45-minute trip, we had a picnic before returning to Trevor Basin, where there is a Visitor Centre and where you can watch the coming and going of the busy canal traffic.

And look, here's our boat again. I stopped to wave at Ruth, our wonderful and knowledgeable captain's mate and guide.




From Trevor Basin, there's a woodland path descending all the way to the River Dee, which we took, catching several glimpses of the aqueduct along the way.

After negotiating a rather steep flight of steps, we finally arrived at the river bed, from where the aqueduct was revealed in its full glory.

Look at those toy narrowboat and Lilliput people crossing it!


Once we'd climbed all the way up to Trevor Basin again, Jos took a breather while I was feeling brave and foolhardy enough to venture onto the aqueduct's canal towpath.

I must admit that, in spite of the high railing, I didn't walk very far, as my legs turned into jelly almost instantly. There was no way I would have crossed and recrossed it on foot!



But I did manage a couple of photographs before turning back to safety. The view is really quite breathtaking from up there!

We finished our day with a short visit to tourist honeypot Llangollen, but we've promised ourselves a full day to explore the town and its surrounding scenery next year.


We did manage a browse in a charity shop though, where I found this gorgeous peacock feather brooch.

And that's all for today's episode. We'll be safely back onto ground level next time!


35 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! What an adventure--two day's worth! I would have had the same misgivings about standing on the aqueduct. You were brave to venture out onto it at all, but the rewards of those photos made it worth the heart-pounding fear.

    That raincoat, by the way--let's just say it's probably a good thing we don't leave near one another and we're not the same size, otherwise I might show up on your doorstep and sneak it away with me! I love it! :) Can't wait to see how you style it, but also hoping we might have a few more weeks before it's needed.

    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry! I'm still quite proud of myself for even daring to step onto that aqueduct. As for the raincoat, I can totally see you it on you. I might need it this week ... xxx

      Delete
  2. I do like that printed pair of trousers. I don't see you wearing trousers often and this pair looks lovely on you.
    I also really like the outfit with the jade green dress and green accessories. It is great that you braved your fears to take a ride on the aqueduct. It must have been a lovely experience in many ways and the views were amazing. I'm really amazed by the photographs. This whole area is so beautiful and filled with hidden gems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! It's true you don't often see me wearing trousers. And to think I wore them all the time up until my mid-forties. Braving the aqueduct was a lovely experience! xxx

      Delete
  3. That aqueduct is spectacular! I didn't even know that boats could cross such a thing. They had these all over the south of France when I lived there.

    My husband and I had a similar incident with road closures and detours recently. It's a big pain the butt. At least you were able to discover some cool vintage stores and pieces.

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That aqueduct is quite something, isn't it? We would have been fine wiht that road closure, if we hadn't been too stubborn to follow the clearly indicated diversions! xxx

      Delete
  4. Oh what an adventure with the road closures! The GPS can be so confusing sometimes! I'm glad that you managed to find the way to your destination in the end, and while that bridge does look a bit too high for me the boat ride would be quite fun! :)

    Hope that you had a wonderful weekend :)


    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica! Crossing the viaduct with a boat wasn't actually scary at all. I even sat outside in the front, can you imagine? Walking on it, on the other hand ... xxx

      Delete
  5. I would have loved being up there-I'm a fan of seeing places from great heights. I think the Thrifting Gods sent you out of your way to find that beautiful raincoat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you believe I love seeing places from great heights too? But then, once I'm up there, my vertigo gets in the way ... xxx

      Delete
  6. wow an adventure trip! I am afraid of heights. Ann you are a hero! Thank you for so many stunning pictures ❤️
    Your find, this raincoat is amazing!
    Huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! I still can't believe I did that! xxx

      Delete
  7. Llangollen viaduct is on my to list. Well any canal viaduct really, I think they are fascinating and a magnificent structure of engineering. At home we overlook a railway viaduct in Healey Dell Nature Reserve. It’s long ago closed and is now a walkway through the dell.
    That coat was a great find. I would have picked it up too
    Lynn xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is rather spectacular, you really should visit it. One to put on the list for when the welder has retired! xxx

      Delete
  8. That aqueduct is absolutely amazing, Ann! I never knew such an experience of being able to cross a bridge like that in a boat was possible! What a great experience! I love your thrifted raincoat and pretty peacock brooch. Hope you have a wonderful week ahead, Ann! ;) XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sasha! It was indeed a great experience. And I already wore that peacock brooch twice! xxx

      Delete
  9. actually i know this aqueduct - from a travelogue of one of our old foldboat kamerads - yep - he (and his wife) crossed that valley in a kayak.
    but again i´m in awe about the engeneers work that early in time......
    the brooch is a beauty!!!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, really? How amazing! Now, did they cross the valley of the River dee below, or did they cross the aqueduct? xxx

      Delete
    2. they paddled in the kayak the aqueduct!!

      Delete
    3. Oh wow, that must have been quite the experience! xxx

      Delete
  10. Wow, that raincoat! It is splendid.

    There's no way you'd get me going across that aqueduct; I'm a massive coward when it comes to heights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually a massive coward too, but funnily enough it wasn't scary at all crossing it by boat! xxx

      Delete
  11. wow, so many breathtaking views and beautiful landscapes!, and you wore another pair of trousers (which look fabulous actually!, such a lovely print!)
    And I love a boat trip and this one looks amazing, the views from the top of the aqueduct are incredible!, and it's also a little bit scary!
    Lovely dress indeed, you look gorgeous in your florals!, and your cute bag looks really comfy too!
    Love all the 'tea time' pictures (or coffee time)
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! I love those trousers' print too. But I'm not used to wearing fast fashion even if it was bought second hand. Last week, I was shocked to see someone wearing the same pair! xxx

      Delete
  12. Lovely to see Dudmaston again! Your trousers are fantastic on you.
    Jon would have been in a right state negotiating that aquaduct, in fact I daren't even show him the photo or he'd complain of feeling funny!
    Your walking outfit is lovely, no boring old greige Gortex for our favourite explorers. How fab is that mac? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love being your favourite explorers! Goretex is for ninnies! I can imagine Jon being in a right state, since he wasn't comfortable crossing that bridge at Attingham Park which, frankly speaking, doesn't even compare! xxx

      Delete
  13. Ooh, that brooch and that raincoat are lovely! Great purchases, Ann!

    I love seeing all these places that I'll probably never see in person. That aquaduct is rather scary-high! I'd be a bit green too! I do see a wee kitty flopped in the courtyard at Dudmaston! Thank you for these lovely pictures - I feel like I've been there. :) Happy week to you, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scary-high is the correct word! I'm quite proud of myself for doing that! And yes, you're right about the kitty! xxx

      Delete
  14. You definitely took the road less travelled and I love the Joy Division reference ;)
    I've seen that aqueduct on telly, it looks amazing, I bet it was a fantastic trip.
    I love your trousers, they look gorgeous on you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, you've spotted the Joy Division reference! That album is iconic! xxx

      Delete
  15. The aquaeduct looks amazing! I didn't know that there is one, where you can "swim". xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is even more amazing in person, even though I don't think you're actually allowed to swim in it ;-) xxx

      Delete
  16. OOoh, what an exciting trip! I love seeing the aqueduct! You ARE brave for walking on the tow path, esp with jelly legs! The raincoat IS amazing!!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie! I only walked on it for a short stretch, as I was starting to feel rather dizzy. Annoying really, as what exactly could have happened? I do wish I didn't suffer from vertigo ... xxx

      Delete
  17. Looks and sounds like you had a wonderful trip! What a fun place to visit!

    https://colorandgrace.com/

    ReplyDelete