Tuesday 8 November 2022

Moving in circles

As I start writing this post, it's a wet and miserable November Sunday, with the rain beating incessantly against the windows. All of a sudden, Autumn has entered its nasty, soul-sapping stage, which rather takes getting used to after October's balmy, Indian Summer weather. With the mercury not showing any sign to climb out of the single figures, it's all I can do to keep warm. It's a toss-up between keeping on the move or putting the heating on, and I'm afraid I succumbed to the latter. I might be able to add an extra pair of socks and pile on the layers, but I'm drawing the line at fingerless gloves while I'm typing.



Such a difference with Sunday 23 October, when the weather gods were still lenient, treating us to temperatures effortlessly reaching 20°C.

It would have been a perfect day for a walk if it hadn't been overcast, the sky awash with angry black clouds threatening rain. As it was, the previous week's office ordeals had drained my energy levels, so we just strolled to the Museum of Folklore during a sunny spell mid-afternoon to take outfit photos in front of its rusty garden gates.




I was wearing a black, white, blue and yellow plaid skirt from Think Twice, picking up the yellow with a funky top by French retro brand Mademoiselle YéYé, which was a charity shop find in July 2019.

I matched the black in both the skirt and top with one of my stretchy chevron patterned belts and a black-based pin I'd picked up during Saturday's charity shopping trip. Finally, I paid tribute to the blue in the skirt's plaid by adding a teal-ish blue waterfall cardigan and blue flower ring.

Oh and I wore my denim blue embroidered Western style Sacha boots again. Everything including the boots was found second hand, by the way.




Our lazy Sunday enabled me to take photos of Saturday's finds, some of which I already offered a sneak peek of at the end of my last post.

But first up is a closer look at the pin I was wearing that day. It was one of a set of three creepy but cute badges, which came on a card. I couldn't find out much about La Marelle en Papier, other than that it is French, but at € 1,50 I wasn't going to leave them behind. They were on the jewellery display of the second shop we went to, which was the one near the park in Duffel.



The clothing rails of the same shop yielded this pink and green patterned wool blend vintage dress from the French Le Gaillard label, which I can't wait to wear when the weather gets really cold.

Quite unintentionally there seems to be a French theme going on here, as this dusky pink cord blazer I found in the first shop we visited is from the French mail order company 3 Suisses. Just seeing the label instantly takes me back to the 1970s, when I loved nothing better than poring over their hefty catalogues which arrived twice a year like clockwork. My mother often ordered from them, which I guess was easier than taking the bus into Antwerp and traipsing around the shops.



The company, which was initially called La Filature des 3 Suisses, and started life selling knitting wool, was established in Roubaix, France in 1932.  They launched their first Textile Catalogue in 1949. Apparently, in 1969 they caused quite a fuss by putting a photo of a woman wearing trousers on the catalogue's cover. Quite revolutionary at the time, it seems. If that surprises you  then let me tell you that as late as the early 1980s, when I was at college, I had a teacher who insisted on all girls wearing skirts during exams! Ever the rebelling feminist, I hated the guy with a vengeance.



The first shop, which is the one in Mechelen, can be very hit or miss, but this time it was a true treasure trove. Shortly after snapping up the blazer, I found this bottle green and off-white checked wool-blend skirt by Tommy Hilfiger. Both the skirt itself and its content label look pristine, so I'm guessing it was hardly worn. My camera, however, refused to properly pick up the green, which looks almost black here. I've got it earmarked for its first outing soon so I'm hoping to reveal its true colour when I'm out and about.


In spite of owning a plethora of cardigans, there's always room for one more. Particularly when it has an eye-catching zig-zag pattern in fuchsia pink and yellow on turquoise. And even more so when it comes with a matching short-sleeved jumper with a keyhole neckline. A twin-set with a twist, from the Belgian Van Hassels label.



More zig-zags and another short-sleeved jumper, in black, white and yellow this time and by the Belgian CKS label. I paid just over € 13 for the blazer, skirt, twin-set and jumper, which is a steal. This particular shop doesn't differentiate between labels. In those who do, I would have paid a lot more, as these would all be considered higher end labels.

For my final find of the day, we have to return to the second shop. This cable knit short orange poncho has its origins in Belgian high street shop Lola Liza. Perfect for supplying extra warmth when I'm churning out blog posts, or to nip out into the garden on a cold Winter's day.



Speaking of nipping out into the garden, I have a confession to make. Apart from just outside our back door, I hadn't actually been into the garden since we returned from our September getaway. With next door's building work and the upheaval caused by seemingly never-ending story of The Wall in particular, I temporarily lost the will to do any gardening. It was all I could do to look at the mess through the kitchen window, so it slowly but surely reverted to its pre-Covid jungle state. 

The Ivy - which produced yellow and green blooms for the first time in its career - conspired with Akebia quinata, also known as Chocolate Vine, in twisting and climbing towards our neighbour's garden. We will tame it eventually but for the time being we let it be and secretly hope it bothers our neighbour who is not a fan of greenery - his word, not mine.



Our Fuchsia magellanica shrub really comes into its own this time of year and, just like the Cotoneaster berries there is no need to go out into the garden to appreciate them setting the garden alight.

When I finally plucked up the courage to walk down the garden path, I was delighted to see the splashes of purplish blues supplied by Monkshood (Aconitum carmichaelii 'Cloudy', top right) and some Campanula bells. The latter is growing in a pot we had to move to the back of the garden and it's doing better than ever, taking advantage of the warm weather to produce a second flush of flowers.


Pots, plant stands and ornaments, including our famous pot of marbles, are jostling for space in the grandly named courtyard at the very back of the garden. These are the former contents of the passageway, which we hope to be able to move back before too long. 

The Salvia who lives here permanently is still going strong, and keeps contrasting nicely with the yellow of the old enamel sign.

Other stalwarts which keep on providing colour are Red Valerian, Verbena rigida and the ubiquitous Nasturtiums which are the offspring of the climbing variety sown two years ago. The black berries belong to Liriope muscari, which is sharing space with the Heuchera in the window box that used to be in the passageway.


The working week which followed was only marginally less manic than the previous one, but I won't bore you with the details for now.

It remained unseasonably warm and mostly sunny. I know I should have made the most of the remaining handful of days when it was still light enough for outfit photos after work, but it took until Wednesday, which was the 26th of October, before I had enough get-up-and-go left to do so.



My dress was a € 2 Think Twice sales bargain about three years ago. I'd been stalking it in the shop until the girl whose basket it had landed in was discouraged from buying it by her friend, who declared it too granny-ish. Well, her loss, my gain!

Isn't that print, which manages to combine stripes, chevrons and diamonds in pinks and purples with the a splash of burnt orange, just fabulous?



I love purple and orange together, so I took my lead from the burnt orange diamonds and added an orange cardigan, belt, necklace and ring. The burnt orange background of my classic cameo brooch ties in with the colour scheme as well. 

Thursday was my last working day of the week. Now that my colleague is back I am able to take regular Fridays off again. 

Like Wednesday's outfit, Thursday's contained lots of orange, although I admit my cardigan, which is a very bright and deep orange, does look like more of a red in the photos. 




Whatever the case, I matched it to the orange leaves in my skirt's pattern. The skirt is a pre-blog Think Twice find, which has been in my wardrobe forever. 

The blue vintage blouse with its naive flower print came from Think Twice as well. My blog tells me I bought it in the Spring of 2019. 

The half-elasticated belt with its square buckle is a fairly recent high street find, which has been working overtime in the last couple of weeks. It appeared in one of the outfits in my previous post and I've worn it yet again since.

My necklace was charity shopped and the vintage brooch with its red berries I pinned to my blouse was a flea market find.




I was breathing more than just a sigh of relief at the thought of closing the office door behind me in just half an hour, when I got a phonecall which I would rather not have had. 

Ever since coming back from our September getaway, there's been talk of renovating our office. For this, we will have to temporarily move to other premises on the same floor. That fateful phonecall established that we would be moving on the 10th of November which - eek! - is in just two days now! I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end, but I can't say I'm looking forward to yet another round of upheaval. I'm currently surrounded by a wall of boxes at the office, which feels quite claustrophobic.

I'll back with the final weekend of October's adventures in my next post. That is, if they haven't put me in a straightjacket after Thursday's move!


36 comments:

  1. Oh my pity that you had such a nasty weather. We actually still have pretty nice weather. No heating required so far. A candle is enough. 😉 I like your finds in these great autumn colors. Erika, berry💕
    You have „pink fridays“ 😁 in future. Great! With a huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had snow for the last week. Today was -16 when I left for work.

    There are never enough cardigans! I have a serious cardigan problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, -16 sounds quite horrible, but I guess you are used to these temperatures? xxx

      Delete
  3. Oh no, good luck with the move - those can be so chaotic!

    Your outfits are so lovely, Ann - you really have an excellent knack for pattern mixing! I'm agog at the cheap prices you pay - even the thrifts here don't feel very thrifty lately!

    I hope your weather is better than ours! Although the snow didn't last, the temps are hovering around 0!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! Prices aren't what they used to be here either, but I guess they're still pretty low compared to yours ... xxx

      Delete
  4. Between us, Jon and I have decided that it's rain we hate, cold temperatures and snow we can deal with, it's the endless rain that drives us to our wits end.
    The pattern mixing in your first outfit is an absolute delight. The other two are full of sunshine and warmth even if the weather isn't!
    The Three Suisses takes me back to my childhood, my grandma always used to have their catalogue! Lovely to find a few of their garments, their clothes were top quality. I like the Tommy Hilfiger checked skirt and your zig-zag knits, too. You did do well - I'm excited for this morning's trip into town, now. I hope we do as well as you.
    Your garden is looking wonderful. Other than sweep leaves we've done nothing in ours for months - a combination of festivals, holidays and the endless rain of the last few weeks. I really need to get the geraniums overwintered before the frost has them! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, we don't mind the cold - and snow if it doesn't hamper my commute - but the endless rain can be really mind numbing. Phew, I'm glad we're not the only ones who've been neglecting the garden! xxx

      Delete
  5. its a glorious grey november morning, i sit in my kitchen wearing fur slippers and waistcoat, drinking hot coffee...... love it :-D

    hugsies! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous outfits! And what wonderful finds from your charity shopping trips; you certainly found some brilliant bargains. Good to see you still have colour and interest in your garden even if you haven't spent much time out there.

    Hope the office move goes well.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni. Part 1 of the move went well, but we still have Part 2 to look forward to after our office has been renovated ... xxx

      Delete
  7. When the weather changes abruptly, it can startle us. I like that you acquired most of these items second-hand; that's good for the environment. And, btw, men have no business policing women's fashion; that teacher should have been criticized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite right about that teacher and it was sad that I was the only one to speak up! xxx

      Delete
  8. Hoping the work move proves not too traumatic.
    Gardens do seem to have a habit of thriving even if they are temporarily ignored for a time and yours seems to still be rewarding you with lots of colour.
    Despite your dreary weather you have brightened your days with all your wonderful outfits. You have had great success on the shopping front lately too I see. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill! Once everything has been sorted, we'll start afresh next Spring! xxx

      Delete
  9. Super pleased you've got your Fridays off again. But what is this? more commotion with an office move. It's a wonder you feel any sense of calm at all. I do feel for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean! I know, it's just never-ending at the moment, and it won't be finished until we've moved back to our renovated office ... xxx

      Delete
  10. Well I how that you by now are not in that straight jacket and just sipping a cup of tea thinking, that went well. What a extreme bargain for those items. I love the twinset always been a fan of twinsets. And that skirt is really lovely too. Our garden is still very colourful too, indeed because of the warm weather. And still a lot of birds! We are going to Rye this Saturday, enjoying the bonfire for Guy Fawkes day. And I'm planning on shopping the second hand shops in Hastings. I hope I will be as lucky as you often are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were quite right there, Nancy! And I'm quite envious of your trip to Rye! xxx

      Delete
  11. You are great at mixing patterns, and I too love the chevron design. Summer had its farewell here very quickly too! I actually wore a scarf and hat on my walk yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joni! I've been wearing my scarves and berets as well! xxx

      Delete
  12. Your colour and pattern combinations never cease to amaze me Ann...and they always work! I love the cute but creepy pins and that blue naive flower print blouse.
    I think your garden is looking lovely and it's sometimes good to let it go a little wild - particularly if it puts a certain neighbour's nose out of joint!
    Good luck with the move. Hopefully life will settle down in the near future! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! Putting a certain neighbour's nose out of joint is making things a bit more bearable :-) xxx

      Delete
  13. It is so hard when the weather turns and everything is cold and wet. I hope you are still staying warm! I absolutely love that first outfit. I can't get over how stunning that belt is. You always find the most beautiful and unique pieces. That pink cord blazer is incredible as well. What a gorgeous jacket! All of the flowers look so beautiful. It is nice to see lots of wonderful colours, especially now that everything is starting to turn. Oh, I'm sorry to hear there will be more upheaval at work. How frustrating! I hope the renovations will be done quickly.


    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon! I really hope there'll be less upheaval next year, as I'm quite done with it! xxx

      Delete
  14. You always find so many great pieces when shopping! I'm jealous you find so many great knits, although to be fair we don't need a lot of knits here in Brisbane so it's rare to find any at the opshops, and the ones I do find are not always the best condition. I like the print mixing in the first outfit but that purple dress is my favourite - lucky for you the first buyer didn't want it!

    Hope you have a good weekend ahead of you :)

    www.awayfromtheblue.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica! The thrift shops are full of knits here at the moment and as we're having to limit our heating, they are very welcome indeed! xxx

      Delete
  15. You just don't seem to be able to escape renovations, poor you. I hope by winter work, neighbour, etc. will all be quiet and you can relax with a cup of cocoa in quiet.
    You found some beautiful pieces, especially the cardigan sets. Our second hand shopping has been rather slim of late. People have gone from donating useful things to absolute garbage and the shops are just putting it all out on the sales floor when it ought to be binned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Goody! There doesn't seem to be a lack of donations here. At least not in the shops we're frequenting ... xxx

      Delete
  16. Totally in love with your plaid skirt and retro funky top which are a perfect match!, lovely colour combo and so cute accessories. particularly that pin! (such a great find!).
    Obviously, love to read about the company 3Suisses (which I also remember!) and have to nod my head in agreement about trousers in the 80's still considered unappropriate (even if only by older people!). Anyway, that cord blazer is a beauty, same for the plaid skirt and the cardigan.
    Love this supposedly granny-ish dress, totally her loss your gain!, so beautiful colours and delightful geometric print!. Love your orange cardi matching the orange leaves in your skirt pattern.
    I'm sorry to read that you'll have to deal with renovations at your office when The Wall is still not finished!. So chaotic situation, hope you can manage it and keep stress away!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! That teacher wasn't even that old, I guess he was a bit of a misogynist ...
      Except for next year's painting, the wall is now finished, although our neighbour still has to remove the scaffolding. Baby steps ... xxx

      Delete
  17. I hope the office move went ok and you are enjoying a Friday off today!
    Your flowers are lovely in the garden!
    You found some gorgeous pieces- I like the pink jacket and the twinset especially!
    I hear you on the not having the energy for outfit photos when dark and gloomy. I seem to have lost my husband 's camera which doesn't help!
    Xx
    Kezzie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie! It's not just the energy, though, the lack of light is throwing a spanner in the works as well.
      Oops about losing CBC's camera :-( xxx

      Delete
  18. That top reminds me of honeycomb! I love the little faery brooches!

    I am glad the plants are doing well! Your neighbour admitting to hating greenery makes me grit my teeth, but probably not hugely surprising given all I have heard about him!

    The purple "granny" dress is stunning! I love the cameo brooch on it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura, it'll be my honeycomb top from now on :-) xxx

      Delete