Friday 4 November 2022

Keep on smiling

Another weekend had come and gone in the blink of an eye. Sunday had tiptoed out on its stocking feet, disappearing into the night and leaving us with just another manic Monday. I might have given you - and myself - a whopper of an earworm here, so perhaps that's why I am smiling. As it was, it turned out not to be just a manic Monday but a manic week ...



Anyway, this is what I was wearing on Monday 17 October. 

Although I hadn't finished my seasonal changeover yet - with the weather still being unseasonably warm, there wasn't any incentive to hurry it along - my rail of short-sleeved Summer dresses was wearing thin, and choice was becoming rather limited. 

With a growing rail of long-sleeved frocks at my disposal, however, I often find myself reaching for those whose lightweight fabrics make them perfect for this transitional time of year. After all, and in spite of the mercury hovering in the high-teens in the daytime, the mornings tend to be quite chilly.



This navy, daisy infused frock was part of my birthday haul from Think Twice in September 2020. I hadn't been to the shops since before you-know-what and I admit to having had a bit of a spree.

It's from the Finnish Karelia label and originally came with a self-fabric tie belt, which of course I ditched in favour of a proper belt. This tan leather one trimmed with cream crochet lace was a charity shop find, as was the mustard cardigan. The Bohemian brooch was found on a flea market and my mustard beaded necklace was a gift from my friend Inneke.




It was cloudy but dry when we left home that morning but when I looked up from my PC minutes after I'd sat myself down at my desk, a sudden burst of golden morning sunlight had penetrated the layer of grey, illuminating the cityscape and the top half of the Art Deco skyscraper my office looks out on. It looked quite magical, so I whipped out my phone to make a couple of photos.


I had hardly finished doing so, when it started getting darker and darker, followed by torrential rain accompanied by a fire and brimstone thunderstorm. 

That's my view on both sides of the skyscraper. On the left, the street leading away from Antwerp's pedestrianized main shopping thoroughfare, bisected by tramlines. On the right, the entrance to a multi-storey car park, with a jumble of old and new buildings and part of Antwerp's cathedral beyond. In the foreground on the bottom left, one of the banes of my office life: the building site belonging to the skyscraper, which is currently being renovated. So yes, building work is truly ruling my life lately.



I was still smiling on Tuesday and although it was sunny and the temperature was rumoured to reach 19°C that day, I was wearing long sleeves again.

The blouse which, same as Monday's dress, sports a Karelia label, is an old Think Twice find. 
Charity shopped about a year ago, its companion, a fruitalicious berry flavoured skirt, couldn't be more Autumnal if it tried, particularly as some crisp brown Autumn leaves are dotted among its pattern. 



I used wine and berry colours for my outfit's accessories which, apart from the half-elasticated belt snapped up from the high street, were either charity shop or flea market treasures.

With the sun out in full force, I went for a stroll during my lunch break. Think Twice was having another edition of their famous sales, with prices down to € 5, so it was almost inevitable that I ended up in one of their shops. What's more, I found another dress, in a heavy textured polyester perfect for the coldest of Winter days, and with an eye-catching lilac and black pattern to brighten up the gloomiest ones.




The huge smile I had on my face soon disappeared when I got back to the office. Here, I was faced with technical hitches as my PC refused to connect to the Cloud server where our documents are stored. The afternoon was spent on the phone with our IT services, who were still working on the problem when I went home. 

Wednesday - we were the 19th by then - was another sunny and unseasonably warm day. Not that I noticed any of this, as it turned out the technical problems had escalated in such a way that I couldn't even start up my PC anymore. The problem was solved by lunchtime, at which time I could finally catch up on work. This meant, of course, that I could kiss goodbye to my lunch break, and that I was too exhausted for outfit photos after work.




The less said about Thursday, the better. Suffice to say that now my colleague's PC had issues and that once again I wasn't in the right frame of mind for showing you my outfit.

Fear not, however, as I wore it all again on Friday 21 October. 

Think Twice once again supplied the dress I was wearing. I'm currently on the fence about this one, as I wasn't feeling it at all. But perhaps this was all due to my state of mind. I picked up both the whites and the blues in its pattern with my charity shopped necklace and the ceramic heart brooch I bought from a crafts shop in Cardigan. My navy belt with its white plastic buckle used to belong to my late Mum.




It had been a quiet day for once, although I couldn't help thinking it might be the calm before the storm. Before anything untoward happened, though, I called it quits and took the afternoon off.

On our way home, we stopped off at the charity shop at the edge of our town, where I found this chunky knit striped C&A cardigan.



We slept late-ish on Saturday, only getting up way past 8.30. Then, after breakfast, I washed my hair and stood myself in front of my wardrobe, taking my time to select the day's outfit.

Meanwhile, Jos made a couple of sandwiches to savour in the park in-between charity shops, as obviously, being a Saturday, we were off for our customary rummage.





It was a a gloriously sunny Indian Summer’s day, a slight breeze somewhat tempering the 20°C shown on the thermometer. Once or twice, the sun played hide and seek with the clouds and October's true  nature briefly got the upper hand. 



Although green still predominated nature's palette, there's no denying that we were on the slippery slope to Autumn. Leaves and foliage had long lost their freshness while some of the trees had made a start with their yearly fireworks of reds, yellows and russets.

But it was clear that nature was confused by the unseasonable weather. While the Pokeberry bushes were in Autumnal mode, proudly displaying their glossy black berries which contrasted handsomely with their magenta stems, the park's Rhododendrons were lulled into thinking it was Spring again. We counted several buds about to burst into flower. The poor things must be in for a shock once the weather turns.




The dress I plucked from my wardrobe is a short-sleeved vintage one, which for some reason I only seem to wear in Autumn. Again, its theme is a mix of fruits and flowers:  I detect apples, pears, cherries and grapes cavorting with Hydrangeas. 

On top, I wore a cropped and three-quarter sleeved blue cardigan, charity shopped but originating from a high street retro label. Both my Bambi brooches - pinned to my cardigan and to my dress's collar - were flea market finds.



And look, my new-to-me Oilily bag from the Oxfam shop had its first outing!

As we'd recently dropped off two huge bags of donations, the rewards we received from the charity shop goddesses were plentiful. I'm leaving you with a sneak peek at my finds, but promise to show and tell in my next post.



See you again soon ... and remember to keep on smiling!




42 comments:

  1. Goodness me, the Deco skyscraper looks almost futuristic bathed in that startling yellow light. What a wonderful photo.
    You're a vision in blues, lilacs, purples and russets and the red dress is lovely, too. Like you, I fall out of clothes when I've had an off-day when I've worn them but I'm sure you'll fall back in love with it if you wear it to do something lovely.
    Sorry to hear about your on-going building and computer woes, I hate any tech stuff, I feel so powerless!
    Your Autumnal walk looks like balm for the soul and I love your chazza-shopped C&A cardi and that Crimplene day dress. I can't wait to see the rest of your finds in more detail. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix, I find it a real privilege to be able to admire the Art Deco skyscraper's details up close, and see things one cannot see from street level! xxx

      Delete
  2. I love the photo of the skyscraper bathed in light before the storm! I really like your Monday outfit too with the navy dress and mustard cardigan, such a good combination! I am finding with working from home the technical issues seem to get worse, but last time I was in the office my laptop broke down too so I am sticking with the usual technical gremlins at home for a while, usually restarting fixes it!

    Hope you're having a great start to your weekend.

    www.awayfromtheblue.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica. I'd rather have a technical issue at work, where I can contact our IT team to solve it. I'm in a panic when it happens at home! xxx

      Delete
  3. Those photos of the building are amazing! Especially the first one. Almost surreal. Love the new dress a and hope to see you wearing it soon on the blog. The first dress reminded me of a Van Gogh painting! The second had such beautiful colours, love it. I how you will have a good weekend with no noise from the neighbour@

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy, what a lovely compliment about the dress! xxx

      Delete
  4. Respect to you for not hurling your pc through the window at any point in that mess!
    The purple and black dress is fab, as are your other finds (the chevron sweater looks intriguing).
    A nice walk away from the noise pollution and stress of work does seem just the thing. We were having summer temperatures yesterday, and today snow is on the way. It does make getting dressed a challenge.
    I hope you have a quiet, uneventful week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Ann, that Art Deco skyscraper bathed in the morning sun is straight out of the Metropolis film poster! Stunning!
    I hate IT issues. Sadly we have to figure things out between us, both working from home. I do vividly recall the days when hours would be lost liaising with IT staff however, usually when I had a heavy workload and a pressing deadline!
    I love your red dress and you have accessorised it beautifully and a hefty dose of vitamin N is sure to keep you sane!
    I can see that the charity shop gods were kind to you...that looks like a haul created just for you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Claire! It's usually when I'm super busy that these issues are happening! xxx

      Delete
  6. Don't you just love Oilily fabrics and patterns??? I wish I could have a closet full!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a super outfit;)

    I love this dress

    ReplyDelete
  8. the artdeco scyscraper looks extra gorgoeus in that golden ray of sun.... what a view from the office! bad computer.
    love the autumnal combination of blouse and "fruitalicious" skirt - can i steal that word? :-D
    the park looks beautiful in your photos!
    flowering rhodis in autum is not so un-normal when dry spring & summer is followed by enough rain..... this year in may the rhodi flowers did dry out right after popping open.
    hugsies! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate, and do feel free to steal that word :-) xxx

      Delete
  9. Oh what a wonderful mystic view to the skyscraper. Wow! 😁
    I love your dress with flower and fruit mix. These colours a great.
    Have a wonderful sunday Ann. With a very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of the advantages of working in town are the walks through the streets during lunch time. We usually sit in our teachers' room and eat our frugal meals. We could go on a walk but never browse through a secand hand store. :-)

    Have less maniac week!

    Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regula, I actually love working in the city, most of the time! xxx

      Delete
  11. I love your Saturday dress, the colours are fabulous, especially with the autumn colours in the background. I hope the coming week is less stressful, tech issues are so irritating xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry about the frustrating issues with the computers! Sometimes it just seems like technology makes everything more difficult! I am having trouble choosing a favourite outfit this time, I think it is between the Autumn fruits skirt combo and the red dress one! Loving all the accessories especially the white ceramic brooch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura! I'm glad you are loving the red dress, as I wasn't really feeling it at the time! xxx

      Delete
  13. What a picture in the morning on the sun-drenched art deco skyscraper... impressive color conjured up by nature :-)))
    Your new pink winter dress with the purple and black pattern is so beautiful... I'm just a bit jealous. Look forward to when you wear it.
    And I love the Oilily bag!!!
    My dress I sewed also has a 70's pattern, that's why I bought the fabric, I think you'd like it too...
    Many greetings to you.
    I wish you a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've already worn that dress in the meantime, and I do love the 70s pattern of that dress you sewed! xxx

      Delete
  14. Quite a busy week then! I used to love it when we had IT issues as we couldn't do anything very much and it was a great excuse to whip out my book and start reading!

    Lovely colourful outfits; I particularly liked the final one in lilacs, purples and blues such a pretty palette of colours.

    Your charity shop finds look very interesting indeed...

    Hope you have a great week
    xxx



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! IT issues in our office usually mean a huge catch-up on work later. That's the thing with shipping, these things cannot wait ... xxx

      Delete
  15. Lovely outfits and beautiful autumnal photos! Don't you just hate IT issues like that?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nikki, and oh yes, I do hat IT issues! xxx

      Delete
  16. I really love that first outfit. I hear ya.. I have had a pretty manic week myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hena, I do hope things have improved for you in the meantime! xxx

      Delete
  17. It's amazing how quickly the weekends pass, isn't it? Oh wow. I love the photo of the skyscraper with the sun shining on it. What a beautiful moment to capture! I suppose it is proof that there is beauty everywhere. I just love the lilac and black dress that you were able to find. Definitely a great way to brighten up the gloomy days. It is beautiful! I'm so sorry you had such a frustrating week at work. Computer issues are always very stressful.

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon, and you are absolutely right there's beauty to be found everywhere! xxx

      Delete
  18. The skyscraper picture is amazing! I love the berry skirt and blouse outfit.
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi! I have just discovered your blog and I love it. My fave outfit is the first one, I feel like the colors are just perfect for this autumn. I also like the fact that you have added some beautiful pics from the forest, I wish I could go for a walk in a similar park here in Madrid :)
    I will be checking your future blog posts
    Kisses from https://sophisticatedmeblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. That skyscraper looks amazing in the sunshine and hasn't this weather been mad with all the rain and yet still so warm. I', sorry you have had such a stressy time we really are at the mercy of tech aren't we?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gisela, and I hat it that we are at the mercy of tech! xxx

      Delete