Friday 18 November 2022

Caught on camera

'Twas October's final Sunday. The weather gods were still on their best behaviour and treated us to another day of sunshine and unseasonable temperatures.

After a morning of faffing and pottering - my memory fails me here on what I did exactly - we cast around for walking destinations which, as we were in one of those archetypal lazy Sunday moods, wouldn't be too far from home nor too strenuous. In the end, we declared that a walk in Den Brandt, one of Antwerp's loveliest parks, would be just the ticket.

The temperatures might have been leaning more towards Summer than Autumn, but there was no denying that it was the end of October, soon to be November, with all the sensory signs of nature winding down present and correct.

In fact, the juxtaposition of the seasons felt slightly unreal as if we were living on borrowed time, which undoubtedly we were, with dull and dark November waiting in the wings.



Short-sleeved it may have been, but my dress definitely belonged to Autumn, with its glorious mix of seasonal colours including the quintessential Hallowe'en pumpkin orange. It's one of my favourite Diolen Delights and I usually keep it out to wear in Autumn if the weather allows.

In spite of the mildness of the day, I was wearing layers, starting with a green cardigan and followed by a fiery orange velvet jacket. The ochre yellows in my dress's print were picked up with my belt and necklace and if you squint you might make out the purple glass ring I wore.



As usual, we entered the park through the adjacent picking garden. Here apples, pears, cherries and plums can be harvested in season, and there's a range of soft fruits and a selection of herbs to take your pick from from as well. At this time of year, though, only half-empty beds of straggling herbs were on offer. 

I always make a beeline for the Gautam Buddha - a gift from the Ambassador of Nepal back in 2004 - who is keeping watch from the garden's far end, eager to see the offerings he has received. Finding his lap empty, I picked him a posy of wildflowers which I tied with a long blade of grass. Jos's contribution were two feathers he found in the dewy grass.




Behind the hedge which backs the Buddha is an intriguing turreted house called Villa La Chapelle. Now a conference centre, the house was originally built in neo-Gothic style between 1880 and 1885 as the gardener's residence of Castle Den Brandt, commissioned by the then lord of the castle, Emile Augustin Joseph della Faille de Waerloos (1835-1890). 


Normally a locked gate keeps one from entering the secluded garden belonging to the villa. For some reason, however, the gate was now standing invitingly open and beyond it an arrow pointed into the direction of the path leading around to the villa's back. An equally inquisitive couple was just rounding the corner when we tentatively stepped through the gate, so we confidently followed suit.



We would eventually have to turn back as there was a fence preventing us from accessing the park this way, but not before exploring the villa's small and slightly overgrown garden.

Half-hidden among the thicket of shrubs was this statue of a lady leaning pensively on a gate post, a shawl draped nonchalantly over her shoulders. She was rather sad-looking, I thought, perhaps hankering for the halcyon days of her prime. Who was she, and what was her name, I wondered. As her stony gaze gave nothing away, I named her Flora.



With one backward glance, we bade goodbye to Flora, whom we'll probably never meet again. I'm fairly certain that wide open gate was a case of negligence rather than intention.



Back in the picking garden, we climbed the steps leading into the park itself. We proceeded to walk along an avenue of majestic trees, at that particular moment in time still largely in leaf, with the faintest hint of amber dotted among their branches. 

The hapless victims of storms and high winds were lining the edge of the path, while fungi reared their heads from their beds of leaves.



The park as we now know it was first opened in 1911. It used to be the pleasure grounds of a romantic castle, originally built in 1790, but renovated in the 1870s in late classical style.

For its opening in 1911, the city had a reproduction of Michelangelo's David installed in the grounds, which they purchased at the 1910 World Fair in Brussels.  Like the famous original in Firenze, the statue is over 5 meters high. Unlike the original, however, you can admire this one, popularly known as den bloten David (colloquial for naked David) for free and without joining endless queues. 



There is also a small English cottage in the grounds, which is purely ornamental, placed in the garden as a romantic element.

Picturesque though it is, it is standing there quite forlornly in its miniature cottage garden. In fact, I think it looked just a little bit spooky, particularly on this day before Hallowe'en. I might not celebrate the latter, but I'm not averse to some tasteful seasonal spookiness.



The week which followed was a bit weird and chaotic, what with the impending office move keeping my colleague and me occupied.

On top of that, I had some catching up to do on Monday after my three-day weekend, so that by the end of the day I was more than ready for another day off. Wasn't it just fortunate that Tuesday the 1st of November was All Saints Day, which is a public holiday in Belgium!

It was mostly sunny and a more than reasonable 17°C, but a gale force wind made it feel quite unpleasant outside.  I continued with the seemingly never-ending wardrobe changeover, putting aside two bags of stuff to sort through and decide whether to donate or sell at next year's flea market.

Then, in the afternoon, we got a visit from my brother, whom I hadn't seen or heard of for well over a year. Apparently, he'd been spending time abroad, which neither me nor my sister were aware of. A close family we certainly aren't. Anyway, by the time he left, it was alas too dark for outfit photos. 



Work kept being crazy fort the rest of the week, although on Wednesday I took some time out for a visit to my hairdresser.

On Thursday, we had some outside help packing up most of the office, so that we would be obliged to spend the days counting down to the actual move surrounded by walls of boxes.

We were also given the key of the new temporary office, which is only next door to ours, its windows offering a slightly different aspect from the one I have been used to for 27 years. I snapped this moody photo of the view towards Antwerp's main shopping thoroughfare with my phone on Friday morning.



Yes, I did work on Friday again! Only a half-day, though. It was a gloomy day with a couple of showers and a drop in temperature to 13°C. Still in double figures, so I guess we couldn't complain, particularly as it had cleared up somewhat by the time Jos picked me up.

We stopped off at our local charity shop for a rummage, but let's have a look at my outfit first.

The skirt, which I bought at 70% off in the January sales, is made from a very strokable faux suede fabric and is equipped with two generous patch pockets.



Its companion for the day was this aubergine blouse liberally sprinkled with multi-coloured dots, which was a Think Twice find many moons ago. 

Both my purple belt and orange beaded necklace were charity shop finds, while the Lea Stein lookalike cat brooch with its orange eyes and ears was a gift from my lovely friend Kezzie.




Now, what did I find? 

First up is a pair of hardly worn tan leather Italian made loafers. I also found this modern tartan patterned dress, which started life at C&A.


But it was Jos who claimed the star find this time!

Another remnant from the infamous Day of the Charity Shops, the price tag on this wooden stereo camera dating from the late 1800s, early 1900s, was a bit higher than what we are used to pay, but still a fraction of what it would have cost it in an antiques shop.



Its leather-clad case had a tag mentioning "Louis Van Neck - Constructeur breveté - Klapdorp - Anvers". Some Googling brought me to the Directory of Belgian Photographers compiled by FOMU, the Museum of Photography in Antwerp. 

Apparently, Louis Van Neck (1853 - 1917) was a pharmacist who sold photographic chemicals and supplies at his premises in a street called Klapdorp in Antwerp from 1884 until 1908. He is considered one of the finest and most inventive Belgian camera manufacturers of the 19th century. 

In 1893, he patented "a new, simple stereoscopic camera, the ‘Royal Excellentis L. V. N."



Our new treasure is a dry plate camera, dry plates being pieces of glass plate coated with a gelatin emulsion which when exposed to light will capture an image. They were invented by Dr. Richard L. Maddox in 1871

Included in the camera's bag were three sets of wooden dry plate holders, which offer space for two dry plates, one at each side. These holders would be inserted at the back of the camera. After exposure of the plates, a clever mechanism allowed the holders to seal them off from light.



We are still thinking how to properly exhibit this jewel in the crown of our antique camera collection, but in the meantime Jos ans his assistant have already given it the necessary TLC. 


28 comments:

  1. That camera looks like a great find! I like the dress you bought too.
    Your orange outfits make me smile - I love the autumnal colours, even though it is spring here. I like the layers with the first dress so much and that orange skirt at the end is a real stand out piece :)

    Hope you are having a wonderful day :)

    www.awayfromtheblue.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica! I love Autumnal colours as well, even in Spring an Summer :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. So nice that you picked the flowers Buddha and Villa La Chapelle and it's garden with Flora is amazing. 💕
    Your finds are great. The dress looks great and I'm happy if you wear it and take a picture. 😁 Congratulations to Jos for his great antique camera find.
    I wish you a very nice weekend. With a very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina, and I think the Buddha was very pleased with his bouquet! xxx

      Delete
  3. The view from your temporary office is nice. Hardly a consolation for all the disruption, of course.
    I am in love with the orange faux suede skirt. You've styled it beautifully.
    Buddha looks happier with your floral offering.
    Fascinating how early cameras worked. I look forward to seeing how it is displayed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Goody, we're still thinking of the best way to display the camera! xxx

      Delete
  4. What a thoughtful offering to the Buddha and what an intriguing building Villa La Chappelle is! I always feel a little disheartened when beautiful buildings end up as conference centres, but obviously that's better than them falling into disrepair. How fortunate that you were able to explore that garden and see the beautiful Flora!
    Wonderful photos of the park and pleasure grounds and that moody shot of Antwerp is a stunner!
    I'm so glad it's not just me who is part of a somewhat disfunctional family. Even though I am part of a large extended family, we tend to limit our socials to funerals. Very sad.
    As gorgeous as your outfits are Ann, the real star for me has to be Jos's camera this week. What an exciting find! I hope Bess has managed to advise him appropriately on the display. xxx



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! I'm glad I'm not the only one with a dysfunctional family too ... my sister lives only 5 minutes from me and we hardly ever see each other! xxx

      Delete
  5. such a lucky moment to find access to the villas garden - the house and the garden sculpures are beautiful!
    and you looked the autumnal part in your fav dress an orange jacket..... as you did in the bright orange skirt too.
    early camera technik is always fascinationg - even for cats :-D
    the view from your temporary office is stunning......
    hugsies! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate! I'm fascinated by early cameras too, but Bess finds everything fascinating :-) xxx

      Delete
  6. It's always nice when the warm temperatures stick around a little longer than usual. Glad you were able to make the most of them! It is wonderful that you are able to go on lots of walks and spend time in nature. (And I am amazed that you manage to look so darn stylish while you do it!) The park looks so beautiful. Thank you for always sharing photos of such gorgeous and inspiring places. I feel like I am traveling vicariously! That english cottage is so cute and picturesque. I just love it. Oh wow. That is wonderful that you were able to see your brother, but unfortunate that he hadn't told you that he had been abroad. Also, you found lots of incredible items, like the camera. How neat!

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Shannon! Haven't been on any walks lately, though, as the weather has turned cold and wet all of a sudden! xxx

      Delete
  7. Wow, that camera is very interesting.
    I also have a metre high naked David in my garden. But a Flora would have been welcome too.
    I woke up in a white world this morning. Not by snow luckily, but from the frost. Which is almost equally horrible to me. Your suede skirt outfit is gorgeous. All of it! Have a lovely day, I hope its dry over there so you can go for a walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy and fancy you having a naked David in your garden :-) I wouldn't mind having Flora in mine! xxx

      Delete
  8. We have a Buddha statue in our yard which is meant to be used as a fountain but the local racoons made the water so filthy from bathing in it, I turned the bowl part into a planter. Much better! I know what you mean about looking forward to what people have left at the statue. Near my home is the grave site of Jimi Hendrix. People leave very interesting things there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great use for the Buddha, I think, and wow, how fascinating to live near the grave site of Jimi Hendrix. I bet people leave the strangest things there too! xxx

      Delete
  9. How exciting to get access to that gorgeous villa's grounds! I love Flora, what a privilege to see her. David looks very clean, almost dazzlingly white. I wonder if someone scrubs him?
    Your Autumnal outfits are fab, love the suedette skirt on you especially.
    I can go for months without seeing my brother, too - there was an eight month gap between visits this year. Tony sees him more often than I do!
    That camera is amazing and a fabulous addition to Jos's incredible collection. I absolutely loved the photo of Bess looking on! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind having Flora in my garden ... and yes, I guess David must get regular cleanings :-) xxx

      Delete
  10. That looks like a really interesting park to visit and I loved the statuary.

    Lovely outfits; especially the suede skirt and the wonderfully dotty top! Loved your loafers that you found and as for Jos it sounds like he struck camera gold. Congratulations!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! I still have to try out the loafers, as it's been tall boots all around now that the weather has turned cold and wet! xxx

      Delete
  11. Oh Sundays were made for lazy strolling and then forgetting about it LOL. I moved offices once when I worked for a bridal magazine and there was sooooooo much drama. It was actually kind of entertaining.

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Allie! I can imagine the drama :-) xxx

      Delete
  12. It is a good thing Jos had an assistant or you might never have figured out the camera. :D

    I'm just in awe of your parks, Ann - they are so beautiful and this doesn't speak well of our parks, but I am surprised at the lack of vandalism and graffiti.

    I'm making a concerted effort to reach out to my brother, who I haven't really seen much for the last decade plus. It's a lot of emotional effort...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like Vizzini, Bess is a great little helper :-)
      You're right about it being a lot of emotional effort, it's the same with my brother. xxx

      Delete
  13. So nice that you made the most of those warm temperatures and enjoyed some walks!. Looking lovely in your orange velvet jacket and delightful dress, so fab colour combo!. I have a weakness for orange, whatever the season!. So I'm loving your suede skirt and polkadots shirt and orange beads!, totally my thing!
    That camera is such an amazing addition to your collection!, really an antiquarian piece!
    besos
    Lovely that you let some flowers to the Budha, and also lovely that you discovered Flora and the usually hidden garden!. Those paths look inviting, and the english cottage looks like something from a fairytale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Monica! I guess we were really lucky to find that camera, it does belong in a museum! xxx

      Delete
  14. Is it free to pick fruit in the garden? How lovely!

    Did you ever read Enid Blyton's The Enchanted Castle? The statues come to life at night. I wonder what Flora had to say to her friends that night about her unexpected visitors?

    Wow, that vintage camera is such a find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is free to pick fruit, Laura. I do wish it was closer to home, so that I could nip out and snip some herbs when needed. I'll have to seek out the Enid Blyton book! xxx

      Delete