Wednesday 1 September 2021

Stripes and flowers

Weather permitting, this time next week we might be watching the sun go down over the domain surrounding our holiday cottage in Belgium's west country. Because yes, it's that time of year again when, for a week or so, we'll be exchanging life in the fast lane for a slower pace of life in a part of Belgium which has truly captured our hearts. 

Before we leave our worries on our doorstep, however, there's still two days of work to be wrapped up at the office, the dreaded packing to be done and, including this one, two blog posts to be churned out.

As I'm still in the throes of catching up after our mini break in the first week of August, let's get on with it, shall we?

In my last post, I did mention an iceberg of vintage and charity shop finds, so why not start with these?



We had reached the end of my first week back at work, and boy was I glad when Friday finally rolled along!  As you might remember, I'm taking up last year's leftover holiday quota by working 4-day weeks until I've used it all up.  This turned out to be a wise decision, as I'm finding my return to the full-time grind to be quite the balancing act.

Fridays are therefore for fun things only, and as a bonus, Friday the 13th of August turned out to be our lucky day in more ways than one. Not only was it a bright sunny day, with the temperature climbing to an unheard of 23°C, the goddesses of the charity shops more than rewarded us for our trouble.



The dress I was wearing was a € 3 Think Twice sales bargain snapped up during lunch break the day before, which I was so besotted with that I decided to wear it immediately. 

In a polyester blend with a touch of linen - hence its slightly wrinkled appearance - this classic fit and flare shirt dress was an absolute joy to wear. I've got a bit of a thing for stripes lately, so my eyes instantly picked it out from the rail of otherwise mediocre offerings. The bodice's red, blue and yellow stripes meeting in a chevron pattern in the button through skirt set my heart aflutter. And that was before I noticed the pockets!



Both my blue moulded flower ring and the 1930s Gentian brooch I accessorized it with did their best to compete with the floral exuberance supplied by the garden. 

The pots grouped at the back of the garden seem to be doing surprisingly well, even after having been left to their own devices for days on end. I just couldn't be bothered to do any deadheading after work, and the watering can had only be used very sparingly. Must do better!



But let's get back to the matter at hand, which is what I found at the charity shops that day!

If initially I thought I would leave the first shop empty handed, finding the orange midi skirt with its purple Paisley pattern and the yellow short-sleeved top with its subtle tiny leaf pattern in quick succession must have been what turned the tide.

Both are initially from the high street but were simply too good to be left behind at a snip of their original price. 



Then along came one of the shop assistants, wheeling a rail full of new stuff. Immediately, a gaggle of thrifty shoppers gathered, pouncing on the new offerings even before the rail had come to a standstill, the shop assistant beating a hasty retreat. 

Without even looking at sizes, I quickly grabbed the two items which stood out for me. 

First up was this midi dress from the Danish Only label, with its Autumnal millefiori pattern. As it was a size 36, I thought it would be too small, but it fit me perfectly. 



Next up was this perfectly formed and rather funky Scapa jacket, which I suspect had hardly been worn. It even had its tiny paper bag of spare buttons still tacked inside.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the vintage Worcester Ware tray, to be admired on the bottom right of the above collage, which we spied on our way to the till. 



Before returning home, we stopped at the charity shop at the edge of our village, where I tried on several things but ended up buying just two items. 

While queueing at the till to pay for the zigzag patterned dress by the London based Louche label, I spotted a shop dummy wearing the chartreuse Zoë Loveborn cardigan, which we managed to wrestle off the poor thing just in the nick of time.


Saturday turned out to be another sunny day, with glorious highs of about 25°C.

After breakfast, I pottered in the garden, which culminated in another massive cutting back session. 

We had to run an errand after lunch, then decided to continue to the park in Boom for a walk. In spite of our best intentions, walking seems to have ended up on the back burner again, which I'm sure we'll have to pay for when walking up those Flemish hills next week!


It was high time I gave my recently charity shopped embroidered red cotton skirt an outing and found it its perfect companion in my peasant style green broderie anglaise blouse. Picked up in the New Look sales several years ago, it is one of my favourite Summer tops.

A shiny white vinyl belt, red and white beaded necklace and a couple of bangles completed my outfit. Oh, and have you noticed the almost perfect match between the embroidered poppy on my skirt and the poppies on my vintage ceramic brooch?




Having arrived at the park, we decided to walk its perimeter path, until we arrived at 't Kleibrood, which is a centre for environmental education. There's a herb and flower garden which, in spite of looking a bit sparse and past its best, was still a sight to behold.

There were giant sunflowers towering over the house, Calendula, and a patch of one of my favourite high Summer flowers, Helenium 'Moerheim Beauty' (top right), which I had to share with the resident bee population.
 




Near the house, several roses were intoxicating us with their heavenly scent, while Brachycome and Agapanthus filled a stone trough and an old brick well respectively.

Soon after passing the garden, we took a side turn into the heart of the park itself, where we did a circular of the lake, finding a gold-hearted stone of joy in a tree trunk.

What better way to display it than together with the pair of vintage, Italian made sandals I found in the charity shop we briefly stopped at on our way to the park!




There isn't much to tell, and even less to show you about Sunday and the rest of the week.

In view of our upcoming holiday and the possibility that we will cross the border into France, we downloaded the so-called CovidSafe app on our phones, which shows that we are fully vaccinated.
In other Covid related news, we were happy to learn that the vaccination percentage in our village is now well over 90%!

On Monday the  temperature took a dive to just 17°C, dipping even lower, to 15°C on Tuesday. These decidedly unsummery temperatures came accompanied by at times heavy rain, which prevented us from making outfit photos in the garden after work.



Tuesday, however, was made a whole lot better courtesy of the arrival of a package all the way from Bosnia-Herzegovina! The lovely Ivana had sent me a handmade brooch and some of her fashion illustrations including the one of yours truly on the right. It goes without saying that they will get a place of honour here at Dove Cottage!





It was only on Thursday - which was dry, with the odd ray of sunshine and 20°C - that we managed to make the first outfit photos of the week.

I was still wearing ankle boots, though, my sandals certainly haven't been doing overtime this Summer.

The dress which was lucky enough to get an outing that day was this green vintage one, picked up from Think Twice in March 2019. Combining my favourite colour with a chevron pattern makes this a winner in my book!





It originally came with a self-fabric belt, but I wouldn't be me if I didn't exchange it with one offering more contrast, going for an off-white stretchy belt with a round faux-tortoiseshell buckle.

The brown and burnt orange enamelled butterfly brooch was a flea market find.

For once, it was a quiet day at the office, so that I was able to enjoy my lunch break hairdresser's appointment in peace, and have a good old gossip with my hairdresser, Michel.




As you might have noticed in the outfit photos, the area next to the bench, which is our favoured spot, is becoming quite the jungle. I swear, hand on heart, that I didn't plan on having such an overwhelming amount of Nasturtiums! Most of them are the offspring of last year's Triffid-like climbing variety but, rather than removing the most rampant ones like I did earlier this Summer, I am now just letting them be.

Meanwhile, tiny buds have started appearing in the herbaceous Clematis 'Mrs. Robert Brydon' which we planted to grow up the remains of our old, deceased Lilac back in April. Some of them have opened into tiny lavender flowers as I type.





And in spite of Phlox, Crocosmia and Co. still giving it their best show, there's no denying that Autumn is lying in wait around the corner, complete with spiders weaving their webs right, left and centre.

There's a rusty tinge to some of the leaves in the Virginia Creepers covering the garden shed, from the top of which Bess's boyfriend was making moon eyes at her, while she was watching him from our bedroom window. Not quite the Lovecats, though, as she usually chooses to ignore him entirely.





So, that was it for now. I expect to be back with one more pre-holiday post, which might very well be a scheduled one.

Hope to see you again soon!


30 comments:

  1. OOOh, didn't you do well in the shops! I adore all your finds- particularly enamoured by your 3 euro Think Twice Chevron dress- such a beauty! The Louche one is also reallyattractive- can't wait to see how you style it!
    How lovely of Ivana to send you the brooch and her fashion illustration of you! That is really nice. Her paintings are really beautiful- it's a really lovely thing she does capturing people in her art.
    You know I have Nasturtium envy. I just don't know why they they seem to have died off this year. I forgot to go and check the ones I planted at school but I fear that they have all died off due to no watering. Sigh.
    Thanks for your well-wishes for school. I confess to crying about 3 times today- it may take a year or two years to fix the problems and that means I will have to somehow teach music out of a trolley for all that time. Also discovered that the one person I loathe in my school is going to be in my music room and she already rubbed me up the wrong way in the first minute I saw her. I can't bear the thought of her being in my room. Hopefully the class teacher will be able to reign her in a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie. We are positively inundated with Nasturtiums, they are literally taking over the garden. Must be careful to pull more seedlings up next year.
      So sorry to hear about your school troubles, I do hope it will get easier for you! xxx

      Delete
  2. It's great that you have so many charity shops near you. unfortunately there is none here with us. nice purchases, i love the zigzag dress and the cardigan has pink buttons?
    You look amazing in the new striped shirt with the beautiful accessories.
    Pet sweet Bess from me. 🌸
    with a very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina, and yes, we are very lucky to have so many charity shops near us. The cardigan does indeed have pink buttons, isn't it cute? xxx

      Delete
  3. Well you got some fab things in the chazzas! And the tray is brilliant; I didn't know that was called Worcester ware; I remember it well..I loved your midi dress find and little jacket was gorgeous, too.

    I have nasturtium envy...

    Some lovely outfits and accessories as always. I have the same blue ring as you only mine is a coral colour.

    How lovely to get away for another break; hope the weather will be kind to you and have a fab time.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Veronica! I only know these are Worcester ware as that's what it says on the label on the bottom. I'd gladly share some of my Nasturtiums with you and Kezzie, they really got out of hand this year! xxx

      Delete
  4. Oh, I'm loving all of your purchases, Ann! Those sandals just ooze quality, and the Scapa jacket really stands out for me. I love the new striped dress in the first outfit - I thought the dark blue stripe was brown! What a sweet gift from Ivana - she is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! I actually cannot wait for the weather to get cold enough for wearing that Scapa jacket! xxx

      Delete
  5. You found some really fantastic stuff! That jacket reminds me of a vintage one I have-I'll have to look for it now that you've reminded me. Those dresses are so good.
    Ivana captured your likeness beautifully.
    Have a great trip. Fingers crossed for good weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Goody! That jacket does look vintage, doesn't it? xxx

      Delete
  6. That is such a lovely surprise of Ivan! And what a good purchases! Especially the jacket. I found a Clio vintage golden top yesterday! I was so thrilled about our because I was looking for the perfect golden top for years. We can enjoy our gardens a bit longer Ann, the weather is glorious! Have a great time in France!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! We were only in France for the day - staying a couple of kilometers over the border in Belgium - but we have a marvellous time, not to mention great weather! xxx

      Delete
  7. Hi Ann, You have made some fantastic purchases this week! I love the autumnal coloured midi dress. I had to smile at the mental image of loads of shoppers - elbows at the ready - jostling to get to the clothes rail! What a lovely gift to receive in the post from your friend - what a kind gesture. I'm also quite taken with the feline love story - well possibly unrequited. That's a very evocative photo of Bess staring wistfully out of the window. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! I do think the scene was exactly as you envisioned it in your mind's eye :-) xxx

      Delete
  8. You have done so well with your purchases! I really like that striped dress you found and I can see why you wore it right away, it looks goo don you! :) You always dress so colourfully :)

    I was lucky to get some illustrations from Ivana too - I was hoping to put them up in my new wardrobe room when we moved but I think I misplaced them in the move, I haven't found them again yet, you've reminded me I need to go have another hunt for them!

    Hope you are having a great weekend :) We went to Australia Zoo yesterday, so much fun :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica! How lovely that Ivana sent you some of her fashion illustrations too. I still have to put up mine as well. xxx

      Delete
  9. That striped dress is a beauty and it looks great on you. So great it has pockets. The blue accessories match the blue stripes in the print of the dress so perfectly. Beautiful blue necklace, belt, brooch and ring. The floral ring caught my eye immediately, what a pretty piece.

    I love what you picked in charity shops, especially that orange maxi skirt with parsley print- so pretty.

    The green dress looks great with orange accessories...the butterfly brooch is so lovely. The belt with faux tortoise shell buckle is very chic and your waist looks so tiny in that shot. Another great styling.

    The photo of Bess staring through the window is very atmospheric...there's something poetic in it.

    Thank you for mentioning me and liking my illustrations. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ivana, and thank you again for your kind gesture! xxx

      Delete
  10. Hello Ann, apologies for my tardy commenting of late . In reference to your query on my blog , the owner of D'Anvers was from Belgium , so that is the link to Antwerp I imagine.
    You have had great success in your charity shops , so many delights, the striped dress is wonderful. Your garden is still a delight in its Autumn glory. Enjoy your well deserved break. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for replying to my query, Jill. That does indeed explains everything! xxx

      Delete
  11. That’s quite a charity shop haul! Lucky you!!
    And hurrah for pockets. I purchased a green dress recently and thought of you. It’s lovely , and could only be improved with pockets.
    Bess is lovely, look at her at your window 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hazel! Obviously it is one of our favourite shops :-) How lovely to think of me when you purchased your green dress. I hope we get to see it one day! xxx

      Delete
  12. Loving that zigzag patterned dress and the perfectly matching cardigan!

    Your garden is looking wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nikki, can't wait to wear the zig-zag patterned dress but I might have left it too late for this year! xxx

      Delete
  13. what a lovely sweet package from ivana!
    the stripe pattern and colours of the first dress look like something someone wore back in my youth...... and i loved it. your dress is something to love too :-D
    still pretty flowers in your garden - lately a pink phlox has appeared in mine - 2 years after the one i planted has´t survived the winter - the wonders.
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate! There are still quite a few pretty flowers in our garden, but the pots are definitely past their best having been neglected while we were away ... xxx

      Delete
  14. Terrific finds (and bargains), my dear friend. It perpetually impresses me how many genuine vintage garments are to be had quite readily still in your corner of the world. Spotting anything (wearable) pre-1990s (save perhaps for some types of costume jewelry) in thrift stores around these parts has been quite the rarity for many years now. Even most 1980s pieces are quickly snapped up and thus, on average, tricky to come by - much to my 1980s does 1940s and 50s adoring chagrin, lol!

    It's such fun to see your fab fashion finds and to, in the process, daydream about secondhand shopping in Europe again one day.

    Enjoy your splendid new treasures, my sweet friend, and have the very loveliest of mid-September weekends as well.

    Autumn Zenith �� Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Autumn! Finding vintage gems in the charity shops - and even at Think Twice - is becoming rarer here as well, I'm afraid. xxx

      Delete
  15. Oooh, you found some excellent things there. That zigzag patterned dress is especially nice. I bet you'll find all sorts of things to combine with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mim! I can't wear to wait that zig-zag patterned dress, but I'm afraid I might have left it too late for this year! xxx

      Delete