Sunday 13 September 2020

Great big sky down to the ground

If it weren't for the numerous photographs I've taken, our holiday would be just a distant, if pleasurable, memory by now. In the olden days of analogue photography, I might still be waiting impatiently for the rolls of film to be developed, all but snatching the envelopes of prints out of the shop assistant's hands once they were ready. Instead, digital photography provides instant gratification, significantly increasing the number of photographs taken at the same time.  I have no qualms admitting that I took about 570 of them in the six days that we were away. 

And so it is that just one week after our return, I can relive the joys of the second full day of our holiday week, Tuesday the 1st of September. Are you joining me?




We woke up to a slightly cloudy morning, but the growing patches of blue held the promise of a beautiful day. The morning's goose-bumpy chilliness, combined with the weather forecast for the day, predicting highs of just 18°C, made me grab for this short-sleeved knit jumper to wear with my wide-legged trousers.

If you look carefully, you can see a certain woolly-coated creature roaming in the garden on my left. It's one of the two resident sheep, roped in to act as living lawn mowers. They often come right up to the owner's house which lies behind our tiny temporary one, hoping for a carroty treat.




I've had the vintage chevron patterned jumper - a Think Twice find - for well over a year. Nevertheless, this was only its first wear.  It originally plunged a bit too deeply for my liking, which was easily remedied with a couple of stitches. The thing that really bothered me, though, was its collar, the points of which were fastened to the jumper's shoulders, making it stand up in a funny and rather awkward way. As I couldn't get it to look right, I thought I'd try to carefully remove the stitches. This is when I found out there weren't any and that the points were pinned down with two small safety pins instead. How did I never notice this?




The label says Carol Caroline, for which I found a couple of 1970s references online, although its batwing sleeves makes me suspect the jumper might be early 1980s. Whatever the case, its muted colour palette of greys, peachy pink and sage green matched my trouser's print perfectly. 

The trousers are New Look by way of a Shropshire charity shop last Summer. From my temporary capsule of accessories, I chose a burnt orange necklace and an enameled brooch featuring an orange, yellow, purple and green floral design on a fudgy background.




Our choice of walk for the day took us to the village of Lampernisse, just over half an hour's drive from our cottage. This sleepy backwater, which has a population of about 200, is classified as a so-called Charming Village.

There are fifteen of these in the Westhoek region (as this Western part of Belgium is called), elevated to their special status due to their unique architecture, heritage, location and couleur locale.




Lampernisse is justifiably known as the quietest village in the region, while its other claim to fame is its location amid the wetlands of Lampernisse, a conservation area of special scientific interest, which has been under protection since 1993.

In the weeks before our trip, I'd printed the 6,5 kilometer Zannekin walk, which starts at the village church, from the official nature agency website. Only a matter of days later Jos told me he'd found a great walk in one of our books. Turned out they were one and the same, which seemed the be reason enough for it to go straight on our must-do list.




Again, the route was way-marked, but unlike the previous day's walk, we soon found the first of the official hexagonal signs just outside the churchyard. 

The Zannekin street swiftly took us to the outskirts of the tiny hamlet, past the last of its rural cottages and crumbling farm buildings, until we came across a blue doored chapel. Officially the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwkapel (Chapel of Our Lady), it is colloquially known as the Keunekapel (transl. Bunny chapel) as this is where local farmers came to pray for the protection of their rabbits against myxomatosis.




From the chapel, the Zannekin walk - named after a 14th century Flemish freedom fighter - took us along a narrow tarmacked lane meandering through the wetlands of Lampernisse. Courtesy of the dry Spring and hot Summer, the water level in the ditches at both sides of the lane seemed to be alarmingly low. I'm sure it would be quite a different story after a period of heavy rains.




Swathes of chamomile were prominent among the wildflowers lining the road, while the chattering of meadow birds well hidden in the undergrowth accompanied us. In a distant field, white herons outnumbered the cows. We counted at least twenty of them, but alas they were too far away to catch them on camera.

The landscape surrounding us was flat as a pancake, with the great big sky down to the ground.

This is one of the widest stretches of continuous open space in Flanders, the odd farm building and the distant view of Lampernisse's church tower and red tiled roofs the only signs of human habitation. 





With no conveniently placed benches to have our picnic, we sat down on a stone parapet where the lane bridged one of the brooks which intersect the rich meadows and fertile fields.

We didn't see a soul except for two pairs of fellow walkers who overtook us while we were eating our sandwiches. The cows in the field across hardly gave us the time of day and continued the eternal process of grazing and chewing the cud.




The sun kept playing hide-and-seek with the clouds, and I was grateful for my old and faithful green raincoat and the scarf I'd added at the last minute.

We walked along a succession of natural pools, creeks and ridges before reaching the Lesser IJzer, a small and gently flowing stream on the boundary between the villages of Lampernisse and Alveringem.




It's as if time has stood still here, with the past a very tangible given and the thought of a global pandemic an unimaginable future. 

Many of the fields you come across here are ancient hay meadows and pastures which have never been ploughed. The farm in the bend of the road looked like a relic from a bygone age too, with its weedy farmyard and peeling paint. You'd be forgiven for thinking it was abandoned, if the sounds of the Tour de France coverage hadn't seeped through its net-curtained windows.



Nature is showing its true colours here too. They're no denying we're on the slippery slope to Autumn. 

Berries and seed heads were a feast for the eye, while the discovery of a single clump of Autumn crocuses made me squeal with delight.





The final stretch of our walk took us through meadows where sheep were eyeing us wearily from its furthest corners. Here, we had to climb a barrier bisecting the little wooded bridge, which acted as a cattle grid. More climbing was required where the meadow ended just before reaching another narrow tarmacked road.




A band of steel grey clouds pregnant with rain seemed to be moving towards us, so we quickened our step in the direction of Lampernisse's church spire which was luring us around a bend.

With one final backward glance, we bade the painterly landscape goodbye, pleased to see that the rain clouds were speeding off elsewhere, drawing their black curtains to once again reveal a blue and white rippled sky.



Back at the cottage, we had supper - we didn't go out to eat at all, preferring to prepare some easy meals in the safety of our home - and spent the evening reading, watching television and making plans for the next day.

That is, when we were not diverted by the ever-enchanting view across the lake. Both sheep regaled us with their presence, while the small grey tabby who sat staring at us turned out not to be the owner's, but a visiting cat.

The last rays of the sun dipped the tops of the hop poles in the distance in liquid gold.




And so, another day had come and gone, and gold-rimmed memories had been made, well preserved by photographs and my daily journal entry 




I hope you are all doing well and staying safe, and that you will be joining me for another episode of my travelogue soon.


40 comments:

  1. the tailor in me is in awe about the use of the stripes in that vintage top!!!
    your walk looks relaxing - with all the green, the water and cows and sheep.... even the weather played the part and did not rain!
    hugsies! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate! A very relaxing walk indeed. Nothing like spending some time in nature for putting things into perspective! xxx

      Delete
  2. Ah, that is a gorgeous walk to have taken! How funny that Jos had already earmarked it as a good one to do! I love the views- so pretty!
    The tabby cat is so cute and HOW lovely to have tame sheep to feed!
    The Chevron top is beautiful! Glad you managed to sort the awkward collar by the safety pin discovery!
    If you've got the time to make meals and the resources, it's nice not to have the hassle of having to go out and find somewhere and be worried about crowds or having to be there in time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie! I'm not sure we would have been able to feed those sheep, but they weren't averse to accepting carrots from the owner. I still cannot believe I never noticed those safety pins! xxx

      Delete
  3. Ohhh thank you for this nice walk with you in the early morning for my first coffee ❤️ I enjoyed the green walk, wonderful pictures. Jippie for digital fotography and vaccine against myxomatosis.
    Looking forward next day 😄
    with a very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina, I'm so glad to have provided some light diversion for your first coffee of the day! xxx

      Delete
  4. You are back too! We also had a great time. The best when we didn't see any other people! Nature is so energizing isn't it! I don't take as much photo's as you do, I should because I love to look back and keep the memories alive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you had a great time too, in spite of not being able to go to you know where. I have to admit that I've always been a very prolific photographer! xxx

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you were able to get away for a holiday after all! I hope you are feeling refreshed and looking forward to and planning for the next one.

    Where you holidayed looked lovely and reminded me of Norfolk and Suffolk here with the big sky and flat land; and the wetlands/river looked like the Norfolk Broads. was that Camomile in the photo of the wild flower meadow/hedgerows? Beautiful. Loved the church and the stone carvings.

    I loved your knitwear top. The colours are fantastic and the pattern was fascinating; how very clever! Loved the whole outfit and the accessories.

    I'd much prefer a live lawnmower anyday to a mechanical one!

    570 photos sounds like a record to me - thank goodness you don't have to develop them all!

    Take care
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness indeed :-) I am feeling refreshed but frankly speaking with things as they are, I'm not sure when my next holiday will be. We'll see. xxx

      Delete
  6. What a joy to see you both on your longed-for holidays.
    Such a wonderful landscape with those huge skies, friendly sheep and a gorgeous cat. After being at home for so long just the change of the same four walls must have been so exciting, I don't blame you for staying in and eating in your lovely cottage.
    As always you both look wonderfully stylish and colourful on your walks. that chevron stripe top is fab, how funny to find those safety pins and be able release the odd collars from their awkward position.
    Ah, the old days of taking film to be developed. I was reminiscing with a friend at Darren's funeral, for years we'd holiday together (along with Jon & her partner) and despite travelling to some amazing places barely have any photos of our adventures! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! We did have a wonderful and relaxing time and the weather gods were kind as we had no rain at all. So good to go out and walk every day and forget about you know what for a while. I hope you and Jon are well over in Greece! xxx

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful place. I'd be a little afraid of that sheep though-looks up to no good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Goody! We didn't venture near those sheep, though. It was a good thing we were on our first floor balcony! xxx

      Delete
  8. Oh, that was just lovely. I feel like I've been on your walk with you! I like seeing how the Flemish words have come into English, like Keune/bunny, which is obviously where 'coney' comes from (as in Coney Island, on the west coast of the US).

    That is so funny about the safety pins holding the lapels into an awkward position! It's like my skirt suddenly revealing its pockets after 10 years, or when I discovered the safety pin in the side of my Stephen Burrows gold shirt!

    I do love that digital photography allows us to take so many more pictures, and not have to wait to see them. I know being achingly sad when I got back a roll of film from a holiday, only to find that all the images were ruined. I do take many more pictures than I used to, but I LIKE having more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you did, Sheila, as that was my intention. It's interesting how our languages overlap. The proper Flemish word for rabbit is "konijn", which is even closer to "coney". I actually had to think of you when I discovered those safety pins :-)) xxx

      Delete
  9. There’s still nothing like the joy of physically looking through proper photographs and recalling happy memories. Doing it digitally is not the same.
    I’m so pleased you escaped the big bad world for the day with your walk. We can do that sat outside our caravan and only realise anything is happening if we go into Grange. Looking forward to the next episode Ann xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got a point, Lynn. I used to create albums with my digital photos using on-line software, but stopped doing so when the shop changed software and I didn't like the new one. Maybe I'll take up where I left off when I'm retired :-) xxx

      Delete
  10. It is definitely a charming village! How pretty it all is.

    Sheep must make excellent lawn mowers. I like sheep. They're generally quite placid animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mim! I do like sheep too. They do remind me of Wales :-) xxx

      Delete
  11. Hello, I am a regular reader but have never commented. I want to tell you what a great writer you are. So good with words and descriptions. It is like I am there! Rgds, Lise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lise! You've no idea how much your comments means to me! xxx

      Delete
  12. A relaxing walk in nature, with a very sweet sheep, a small village, rich in history, a landscape that looks like oil painting ... What beautiful photos! You smiling with the beautiful flowered scarf ... Thank you for taking us with you to this magnificent place!
    Hugs,Carmela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carmela, and it was my pleasure sharing my walk! xxx

      Delete
  13. It's just what I like: eautiful landscape, quiet spots.
    xxx Regula

    ReplyDelete
  14. A lovely nature walk Ann, under those wide open skies.
    I'm not surprised you stayed cosy in your cottage and made the most of it, it looks like a perfect retreat. Just the tonic at the moment.
    We've just got back from the Cotswolds and we also spent time relaxing in the little cottage we'd hired for the week.
    Looking forward to the next installment. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally! It's so nice to be able to get away somewhere quiet and relaxing, isn't it? xxx

      Delete
  15. I love travelogues and this series is fun. As you note, digital photography changed travel experience so much. Now, not only don't we have to wait for film to develop but we can take lots (500!) pictures without worrying about cost.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Ann. You look so relaxed standing on the porch. Lady of leisure becomes you! I'm enamored with your matching chevron knit and floral pants. They look wonderful together.

    I also take a lot of photos on holidays. They're a treasure trove of our history and a lovely way to reminisce.

    Thank you for this little jaunt in the countryside. The golden fields are definitely showing signs that Autumn is on her way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the sound of being a lady of leisure, Suzy! Unfortunately, I'm too much of a busy bee and can't sit still for long enough! xxx

      Delete
  17. I enjoyed your travelogue.I love the printed pants.you wore and the green jacket. This area looks amazingly green and peaceful. The sheep is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Splendid travel post, sweet Ann. Thank you so much for sharing some of the highlights of your travels with us.

    Very true regarding the way one used to wait patiently for their travel snaps to be posted - all the while hoping that at least a few good/in focus photos emerged from the group. At times I miss the element of mystery that film photography held (and of course, one can still technically shot analogue, if so desired), but not the price tag involved with buying and processing film. 😄

    Autumn Zenith 🎃 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Autumn, I'm so glad you loved it. There's definitely something to be said for analogue photography, but I'm still glad digital photography was invented! xxx

      Delete
  19. How lovely that you both picked out the same walk - it was meant to be! And what a beautiful landscape you were rewarded with.
    I used to love getting my photos back from holidays, but I hated being limited to taking so few, thank goodness for digital!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hazel! It was indeed meant to be, which was why it was the only walk we'd actually planned in advance! xxx

      Delete