Tuesday 7 April 2020

Every day is like Sunday

After a three-day working week, it was with a sigh of relief that I closed the office door behind me last Wednesday. Knowing that I would only have to go back on Monday felt a bit strange yet strangely comforting at the same time. It was such a reassuring thought to know that we wouldn't have to leave Dove Cottage's cozy confines unless strictly necessary, locking out this perilous world we are currently inhabiting.



Sleeping just that little bit longer on Thursday, and taking our time over breakfast, were a luxury and in total contrast to our normal weekday regime.

As was not having to plan my outfit the night before, being able to stand in front of my wardrobe in the morning and letting inspiration flow instead. 

This vintage navy long-sleeved and empire waisted dress was begging me for an outing, and I knew resisting its joyful multi-coloured flower print was futile.



Piling on even more flowers seemed like the obvious thing to do so, instead of a brooch, I added three different coloured flower corsages. I also wore both an orange and a blue moulded plastic flower ring. Plastic rings seem to be the better option, what with all the hand washing, but I have to admit that nowadays I often do not wear any rings at all.


I tried many different necklaces, but none of them looked right, until I hit upon this 1960s style white metal one, a retail buy from at least ten years ago.

Sky blue opaques and an orange long cardigan, as it was sunny but rather chilly, completed my outfit. I also exchanged my indoor slippers for my burgundy boots for going out into the garden.

Positioning myself in the central, paved sunken area of our garden again, I had another attempt at trying to catch the attention of any passing spaceships. I'm here! Look, I'm wearing my brightest clothes, you idiots! Oh well, I'll trample that bloody virus to death instead!


My first day of relative freedom didn't exactly go to plan, to be honest. I had oodles of plans and endless imaginary lists of things to do, but I seemed to have mislaid my energy. These past few weeks have been quite traumatic, to say the least, and having to go to the office 5 days a week was getting more and more exhausting with each passing day.

I was feeling tired which made me a bit restless at first, but then I just gave in and just did what I felt like doing, which wasn't very much at all. In fact, I spent most of the day on the sofa reading my latest book.



From our backdoor, I watched some great tits rehearsing acrobatics in the garden, once in a while taking a breather on our garden wall. We've got a resident robin too, but he or she mainly presides over the "villa", which is our nickname for the wall mounted bird feeder house at the end of our garden.

Our potting shed (top left), decorated with rusty gardening tools, could probably do with a lick of paint, but I actually quite like its cracked and peeling paint, showing patches of an ancient green coat of paint underneath.


The angel bird bath bidding you welcome at our back door has been there forever. We probably picked it up at our local garden centre's bargain corner not long after we moved to Dove Cottage.


I felt a lot more energized on Friday, which we started by having fresh fruit and yoghurt for breakfast. Normally this is a hasty affair, with the fruit eaten straight from the plastic tub Jos has prepared the night before. The downside is that now I am the fruit peeler and cutter ... 

The dishes are Rambouillet by the Belgian Boch pottery, a very popular 1960s pattern and now selling like hot cakes in vintage shops.


After breakfast, Jos mopped the kitchen floor, but not before using our vintage washing equipment as musical instruments while singing along with the nostalgic tunes on the radio.



Meanwhile, I gave the bathroom a good clean, although I drew the line at taking everything off the top of our € 8 vintage bathroom cabinet for a dusting and deep clean. That'll be for another day.




Our tiny bathroom leads off the kitchen - you can just catch a glimpse of the door's cornice on the right in the above photo - and this is what's on the wall between the bathroom door and back door.

There are repro advertising signs for Cadbury's Cocoa and Sunlight Soap, then next to the latter is a slate Ty Bach sign. This is Welsh for toilet - it literally means "little house". 

Below that is our vintage 1970s kitchen roll holder from the German Emsa brand. 

The Cream Teas sign is modern and its row of wooden hooks holds kitchen towels and oven gloves.



The tiny shelf unit on its left, another Emsa product of the same design, is actually a spice rack. However, it was redundant, as we weren't using it as a spice rack at all. So, I had the brainwave of converting it into a display cabinet for small treasures. This was something I'd been planning to do for a while, but never had time for until now. 

There are vintage snuff tins, a figure from a popular Belgian comic, a tacky plastic Lourdes souvenir, egg cups, chocolate moulds, a tiny OXO tin, a set of miniature kitchen utensils, a small plastic M&M's figurine and a set of vintage weights.



Friday's outfit was all pinks and purples with a dash of black and white.

The pink dress, with lashings of purple and off-white flowers, came from a vintage per kilo shop in Antwerp. I accessorized it with a purple woven belt, a black and white beaded necklace and a brooch picked up at our last flea market, which has a tiny piece of lace on a black background.

To tie in with the black and white, I wore black opaques sprinkled with white polka dots.



Still a tiny bit too chilly to go it alone, I wore a mustard yellow cardigan on top. This has a lacy yoke, in its turn tying in with the lace on my brooch. It's from Vero Moda, but was charity shopped in April 2017 and it's so pretty I wonder why I'm not wearing it more. No, do not answer that. I know it's because I have too many clothes. No, scrap that, there's no such thing! And I'm actually grateful for my huge wardrobe, especially now.



Not having been outside at all, except for our handkerchief sized garden, I needed to stretch my legs so, armed with hand sanitizer, I donned coat, scarf and beret, and went for a brisk walk along the block, running an errand at the chemist at the same time.

The weather was definitely getting a spring in its step, but it felt very weird being out on the streets, even our reasonably quiet village ones.

Being at home all the time for days on end really does feel as if every day is like Sunday!

I will be back with last weekend's non-adventurous soon!



38 comments:

  1. I love that blue dress especially with the three flowers pinned to it and the fabulous flower rings. how lovely not to have to plan your outfit in advance and go with the flow.
    The second dress is a great colour on you.
    Check out Jos playing his washboard.
    It sounds like your lockdown time was very productive, it helps when the sun's out doesn't it? I love your tiny shelf!
    I really enjoyed Room. If you get a chance to watch the film it's wonderful, especially the actor who played Jack.
    Take care and stay safe! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! I actually saw part of the film, which was on Belgian television a couple of weeks ago, which is why I dug out the book from my reading pile. From what I've seen, the actor who played Jack was indeed wonderful! xxx

      Delete
  2. I think you were absolutely right to go with the flow and do what felt right, I hope you had a lovely read.
    Having said that you got lots done too! That lovely shelf and all that cleaning. I think everyone will have spotless homes soon me included :)
    I love your blue flowery dress with its 60's vibe.
    I hope you've had the same sunny day we had today. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally! I've certainly been making the most of the days I don't have to go to the office. Doing things at my own pace is very liberating! xxx

      Delete
  3. Gosh, I see a theme here(Suske en Wiske) lol. Sorry. I think the benefits of this hole situation is having breakfast together and have the time to enjoy it, not only on Sunday! I love the plastic rings, have a few myself. They add so much to a outfit. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy, and yes, there seems to be an unintentional Suske en Wiske theme :-)) xxx

      Delete
  4. Someone posted that lockdown shouldn't be a productivity contest, and I think that's good advice. There's value in just trying to relax a bit-though you didn't select a very relaxing book!!!

    I like how you turned your spice rack into a display shelf. Lovely outfits too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good advice indeed, I'm trying to only do things I enjoy ... You're right about the book, although on the other hand, it was very fitting. xxx

      Delete
  5. Great post !
    HAVE A NİCE DAY AT HOME
    xoxo  
    Dilek.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I said it on Instagram but your spice rack idea is genius!
    I've often felt lacking in energy over the past few weeks, when it happens I grab a book and head for the sofa, or the greenhouse, and read until some energy returns. The situation is a great opportunity to get stuff done BUT it's not as if we're on holiday, we're in a pandemic, which is a different kettle of fish altogether, we can't be expected to act as if nothing is happening. I think if my body is tellin gme to relax then that's exactly what I should do.
    Lovely cheerful outfits once again, I can't wait for slightly warmer weather so my more summery outfits can come out once again - that's where the colour resides in my wardrobe.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hazel! I definitely have less energy too, and usually sleep like a log, which is strange, as I usually lie awake when I'm worrying over something! xxx

      Delete
  7. love the glimpses of dove cottage and the jos one man band!!
    fabulous outfits - my dear! the metal necklace is genius with all the abstract flowers & bright colors......
    its wonderful to hear that you feel much better now!!
    take your time! hugsies! xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate. I've been feeling reasonably relaxed with the whole situation ... as long as I don't have to go out! xxx

      Delete
  8. I ADORE that beautiful outfit!!! You look so preeetttttty! The dress was justified in luring you to wear it!
    I love seeing your houses! So many lovely things and the shelf looks really good. Plus, that wall colour is beautiful!
    I, too, am really grateful for my extensive wardrobe (in fact, my extensive hobbies in general- books, music, gardening stuff, dried goods, card-making thing etc!)
    Haha, Jos is so fun! Wish I had a washboard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie! I am grateful for my extensive interest and hoarding tendencies too. Glad to hear you love the colour of our kitchen walls. We had yellow for years, but wanted a complete change when we redecorated. I think t's so much better. xxx

      Delete
  9. ohhh your blue dress is stunning Ann. Great with the orange cardigan.
    Enjoy the breakfast together :) Luckily we have a garden and we can spend a little time outside with Laila. She like it so much :)
    A very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina, we are indeed very lucky to have gardens. Imagine living in a flat right now ... xxx

      Delete
  10. Both of your dresses are stunning, but I have to give it to that first one, due to the shape and my own personal fondness for that long orange cardi! I love that double loop necklace too - that's right up my alley.

    I enjoyed the bird update, as well as looking at your collectibles and odds and ends. You have more energy than me...all these weeks, and I have cleaned out...one drawer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila, that particular outfit was my favourite too. But don't be deceived about my energy levels. It comes and it goes, and there are days when I'm doing absolutely nothing too! xxx

      Delete
  11. What a stunning floral dress, Ann.

    I love your poses to the spaceships. Surely they must have noticed you- haha!

    Good on you for going on a stroll around the block. I love doing this at the moment. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jess. Still waiting for that spaceship though. Perhaps these aliens are colour blind? xxx

      Delete
  12. The dresses are gorgeous and I love how you accessorise in such brilliant contrasting colours!

    'Room' is very good and rather appropriate given the current lockdown situation.

    I loved your miniature display unit makeover from the spice rack and Jos playing the washboard was brilliant!

    I do hope you manage to chill out and enjoy your non work days. Dove Cottage looks a lovely place to be locked down in!

    Stay safe and sane, Ann.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! I thoroughly enjoyed Room, and found it indeed quite appropriate. xxx

      Delete
  13. Hello Ann. Isn't it lovely to have a leisurely breakfast. When I finished work a few years ago, it took me ages to slow things down. I was in a perpetual rush all the time. I think it took me a few months to realise I don't have to eat breakfast at 7am, so quickly and while getting dressed for work! The fact that I could eat at 10am in the garden sunshine was such a revelation.


    Both dresses are beautiful. The navy floral has such a gorgeous flower print. I love the accessories you have chosen to add to it. I also really like the yellow cardigan over the pink dress.

    Good on Jos for enjoying some cheery music and song. Nostalgic tunes are especially uplifting, especially in times like these when we are all filled with worries. Song and dance can shake a lot of the tension out of our bodies.

    I love seeing little corners of your home. How cute is that shelf! Clearly, you have good taste in your decorating.

    You're not alone in having highs and lows in your energy levels. I think it's ok to go with the rhythm of our bodies. I'm sure there are a lot of us who are bogged down with anxiety so it's not surprising our bodies feel heavy and lathargic. Good on you for walking around the block. A bit of exercise does us all good.

    Have a safe and happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzy! I'm hearing you on it taking ages to slow down when when is used to always be in a rush. I'm managing alright, I must say, but that's probably due to the whole situation. My energy levels not being what they usually are, I'm forced to slow down and take it easy! xxx

      Delete
  14. It is so immensely important that we not only allow ourselves to take things easy/not feel like we absolutely must cram every second of the day full to the brink, but that we try not to feel bad/guilty about it if we take thing a bit easier sometimes right now. These are uncharted waters and we must all navigate them in the (safe) ways that feel right, healthy and beneficial to ourselves at the moment. I tend to be swinging between uber productive days and ones that are significantly more low key, with a good deal of self-care and mental health maintanence across the board.

    Thinking of your, my sweet friend, and sending immense wishes for a serene, sunny, lovely Easter weekend your way.

    Autumn Zenith 🎃 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment, Autumn. I'm having exactly the same, swinging from one end of the scale to the other. But the days when I'm productive seem to be the better ones, as they keep me from overthinking things! xxx

      Delete
  15. That first outfit is beautiful, you accessorised the dress so well! While I'm not resting and relaxing much, as the kids are here with us, and I'm having to entertain a 4 and 5 year old haha, I am finding myself a little less motivated. There are a lot of changes around the world and I think I need time to adjust to this new normal!

    Hope that you are having a nice week :) We are enjoying the Easter break, at home of course.

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica! I'm hearing you on having to entertain 4 and 5 year olds. That must be exhausting on top of trying to adjust to the new normal. xxx

      Delete
  16. I hear you! I was so looking forward to this non-working weekend but now that Friday has finally arrived, I feel so exhausted I just want to spend it in bed.

    I absolutely love that first dress you have on, with the big floral print. I also like the cardi you have paired it with. The other dresses you wore are very lovely as well. You look great. Your colourful outfits are a breath of fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ivana! I hope better days are coming for both of us soon! xxx

      Delete
  17. Can't imagine how scary it must have been for you to have to travel to an office several days a week. I've been stuck at home packing up my house for a move. So have not had to venture out much at all. Finally taking a break to check out some of my fav bloggers. So nice to see your colorful fashions. It's such a bright spot in a world that is increasingly dreary. Love the idea of using the spice rack for display shelf. Clever way to repurpose a darling vintage item.

    Stay safe!
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Theresa! I'm happy to say that I no longer need to travel by public transport, as my husband brings me to the office and picks me up again by car. Packing up your house for a move must be exhausting, especially at this time. I'm glad I was able to provide a bright spot! xxx

      Delete
  18. wow, I love your fabulously colorful outfits!. The blue floral dress is so stunning and love how the orange cardi enhances it so nicely! and the cute floral corsages and floral rings worn all together!
    And love the pinks and purples with the cute yellow cardi and the black&white accessorizing!, such a brilliant ensemble!, you totally rock!
    And totally understand that you took some days to rest and read something, I do it frequently despite having a massive list of tasks!. Love a quiet lifestyle!.
    Lovely to have a look at some 'quotidian life' at Dove Cottage, particularly the singing and having fun part!.
    And I love the cute spice rack and all the vintage tins living at the top of your bathroom cabinet!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! I'm all for a quiet lifestyle as well. I'm sure that massive list of tasks won't be going anywhere. xxx

      Delete
  19. Do not resist the flowers! They're too good to resist!

    It's okay to be tired. Stress is exhausting. I know so many people whose sleep patterns are disrupted right now. Hopefully as time goes on you'll get your sparkle back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never say no to flowers :-) My energy levels, and therefore my sparkle, go up and down, but at least I'm not having disrupted nights. I'm actually sleeping better than ever! xxx

      Delete