Wednesday 29 May 2019

Swallows and flowers

We were all set to go to our last indoor flea market of the year on Sunday before last.

It was, in fact, the perfect outing for the neither here nor there weather we'd woken up to. It had rained during the night and, while the sun was out for the outfit photos taken just before we left, the weather forecast was indecisive and more rain had been predicted.


The vintage dress I'm wearing, its print vying with the best of herbaceous borders, has been hanging unworn in my wardrobe since last Summer. The fabric is fairly heavy, and the dress is fully lined to boot, making it too warm for balmy Spring days, let alone hot Summer ones, while its just-over-the-elbow bell sleeves make it hard to add a layer on top during the colder months.

But ah those sleeves! Surely you can guess that this was one of the dress's selling points? And what about that fabulous print?



No need for layering that Sunday, as the temperature was just right for wearing the dress on this mediocre May day.

My necklace, with its colourful wooden beads, and the fuchsia vinyl belt, were charity shopped, as was the scarf I'm wearing with my faithful orange leather jacket, which was a Think Twice find.


In spite of the weather, our expectations for this end-of-season flea market weren't great, but we were still a bit letdown when we spied the half-empty hall, and the many gaps between stalls.

But if we'd initially thought we'd made a wasted journey, this turned out not to be the case. Still, it took us until we came across Tanja's stall for us to make our first purchases.

Tanja is a follower of my blog, and her stall is always a joy to behold. I even remembered to take some pictures of it for once. They're the ones on the top left and right.


On the bottom right is the stall of another one of my followers, Rita. The picture of the jumble of buttons was taken at a random stall. I'm usually far too busy browsing to take any pictures. Plus, lighting conditions at the venue aren't exactly ideal.

In fact, with my new glasses, my eyes had a bit of a problem adjusting to the event hall's light conditions. Their website boasts that it has natural lighting during the day, due to the profusion of oval openings in the roof construction. You can pay a virtual visit to the hall here, so that you can see what I mean. All very well in theory but alas, even on the clearest of days, there never seems to be enough light and what's more, those pesky skylights play a very annoying game with the artificial lighting.


But enough about that. I'm sure you're all dying to know what we found, so without further ado, here's a group photo of all our treasures, displayed on our garden table after we got home. And look, it turned out to be sunny after all.

In case you are wondering: yes, we bought the plants at the flea market too! 


Let's start with our finds from Tanja's stall. 

I love all kinds of vintage packaging, and even more so when they still contain the product, so a lovely little carton of laundry whitener and a pack of Q-tips have joined our collection.

Talking of Q-tips, here are some vintage ads for you to enjoy!



The floral canister decorated with quintessential Summer flowers like foxgloves and delphiniums, was made in England, and will be used for storing odds and ends in our bathroom.

Finally, I also fell hard for this turquoise beaded bag.

Tanja threw in the pink storage box for free! Isn't that sweet?


These leather watch straps were a bargainous € 1 each. The lady we bought them from had boxes full of them which she told us were deadstock from the shop her mother-in-law used to have. 

I have several cheap watches which I'm using on rotation, and I like having straps in a variety of colours, to coordinate with my outfits!

Always on the lookout for additions to my ever growing collection of brooches, I was happy to find no less than seven.


Five of them were picked up from the same stall, the odd ones out being the celluloid dog brooch (above, top left) from Rita's stall, and the Lucite roses brooch (below, bottom right).


There's an intruder in there! As I didn't have enough brooches to fill this collage, I sneaked in this gorgeous little flower, which is currently going strong in our garden. Self-seeding like mad and popping up in the most unexpected of places, Aquilegia 'Nora Barlow', with its frilly petticoated flowers, has been residing in our garden for many years. 


In one of the flea market's last aisles is a stall selling all manner of vintage haberdashery, where I usually have a good rummage through the boxes of buttons. 

As many of you are aware, I only have very limited sewing skills, but it often only takes a change of buttons to completely transform a garment. Some of my stash might never get used, but I simply cannot resist beautifully crafted old buttons. It must be something in my genes, as I remember playing with the buttons in both my grandmothers' sewing boxes when I was a little girl.


Our star find of the day were these vintage canisters, displaying their contents in both of Belgium's national languages, Flemish and French. I was instantly drawn to their swallow decorations and rich colours. Dating from the late 1920s, early 1930s, they are in extraordinary condition considering their age, with hardly any scratches and with only a smidgen of rust at the edges.

When we showed them to Tanja, she advised us to use some WD-40 to stop any rust in its tracks and give them some shine, a job which had been added to Mr. S.'s to-do list!


As we walked past the plant stall upon entering the flea market venue, we promised ourselves to buy some summer flowers before leaving. We hadn't made it to the garden centre yet, and the area just outside our back door was badly in need of sprucing up.

Apart from pots of Million Bells, Dianthus and Osteospermum, we chose a couple of pink Pelargoniums to be put into the green enamel cone-shaped planters hanging on our potting shed.

These were found at Blender Vintage Shop many years ago, and nobody seems to know what they were originally used for. There's a hole at their tapered ends, allowing for drainage, which makes them the ideal plant holders.





Now, what else can we add to our garden to rival with the flowers on my dress?


44 comments:

  1. I know I don’t wear black but your dress has made me swoon with envy, it’s gorgeous. Please can you make it at least two sizes bigger and a bit longer and put it on my pile of stuff xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn! Now where did I put my magic wand? xxx

      Delete
  2. Oh you always find the most perfect brooches! I didn't shop in England last week, can you believe it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! I can't believe you didn't shop, though! xxx

      Delete
  3. You look amazing in this flowered dress. I like the sleeves :)
    You find always the best brooches!
    With a very huge hug, Tina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh that dress is sweet! I have a vintage dress with angel sleeves that make it a real challenge to wear. The dress is wool and meant for winter but I have yet to find the winter coat that will accommodate the sleeves.

    I'm amazed that you can find vintage boxes with the original products still inside!

    That beaded purse is so fab. The colour! Beaded bags are trending again.

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who find these sleeves a challenge to wear! I'd no idea beaded bags were trending again. It didn't come cheap, though. xxx

      Delete
  5. That dress really is stunning Ann. I have mums buscuit tin from the sixties. It was the children's sweet tin and then the grandchildren's. I love the broach with the lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurie! That's my favourite brooch too! xxx

      Delete
  6. What a gorgeous dress - the sleeves, the magnificent pattern! I would have bought this in a heartbeat! It looks very modern!

    Of your purchases, I'm in love with the Q-Tips box (I remember one like that in our house in the 70s), the brooch with the hatted lady (so mysterious), and the card suit buttons. Hello, Phoebe! Pretty girl in the garden, she looks very pleased with herself.

    Hope you're having a great week, Ann!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, doesn't it, look modern I mean. And you've got that right, she is looking very pleased with herself! xxx

      Delete
  7. That's a beautiful dress-so glad the weather behaved for you to wear it. You always find the best brooches.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful dress! You were really lucky on your flea market hunt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regula! I love a good flea market hunt. Do you have any good flea markets in Switzerland? xxx

      Delete
  9. You look fabulous in that gorgeous dress, Ann! It's such a lovely cut and the print is gorgeous! Love the brooch haul! Happy to see Phoebe looking as cute as ever too! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :) XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sasha! It is rather lovely, isn't it? I wonder what took me so long to wear it ... xxx

      Delete
  10. Oh my gosh! Those canisters are amazing - fabulous find! Thank you for your lovely comments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz! The canisters were love at first sight. I didn't really have the space for them, but they just had to come home! xxx

      Delete
  11. That dress is fabulous on you, I do love a dark floral and, of course, you know my love for sleeves! The beads are utterly perfect with it.
    Those kitchen containers are absolutely gorgeous, I'd have fought you for those. The buttons are fabulous and Jon would have bought all those watch straps, he can't resist them!
    Dove Cottage's garden, Phoebe and you are all radiant in the sunshine! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! If I'd known Jon can't resist watch straps, I'd have bought some more. They were only € 1, which is crazy considering what you would have to pay for new leather straps. xxx

      Delete
  12. OH! I love that dress! Gorgeous photos of you in your garden. I love your shopping posts, and especially the brooches and buttons, they are all gorgeous! The canisters are really lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. that dress is exquisite!!
    and look - there is the prettiest black hole in the universe :-D
    you found a lot of charming vintage things! and flowers for your garden too. it was not the worst flea after all it seems....
    the cottage´s garden is in full bloom already - mine is now starting too - so exciting :-D
    hugsies! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This really is an exciting time of year, isn't it? The prettiest black hole in the universe does love her little garden ;-) xxx

      Delete
  14. I do love the photos of you in the garden and that dress looks fantastic, it's a beautiful print and it goes perfectly with the necklace.
    The watchstraps were quite a find. Mine is in dire need of replacement, so I would definitely have snapped them up! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally! The seller had several boxes full of them, I'm already regretting not buying more! xxx

      Delete
  15. What a gorgeous dress and you in it, dear Ann! The colors are so vibrant, and I love the unexpected pairing with your orange jacket.

    Aquillegia is such a pretty flower! We have a moody purple Granny's Bonnet in our garden, I always admire it.

    Lots of love, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natalia! I do love the moody purple ones too! xxx

      Delete
  16. The dress is lovely, I do like border prints. I hear you on the awkward sleeve length though! I find in the very cold weather a rollneck layered underneath works, that's what they do in the fashion mags. You always manage to find some treasures despite limited selections. The tins and buttons are very charming. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! I do have to stop buying tins, as I've ran out of space, but I just couldn't leave these ones behind! xxx

      Delete
  17. The floral print on that dress is absolutely gorgeous. I love how versatile it is, meaning that it is not just one floral type, but it showcases prints of different flowers. That makes it look so unique. The flare sleeves are lovely as well. I adore flare sleeves but yes they are definitely not the easiest thing to layer with. I found that oversized eighties style blazers often do the job for me.

    I like how you accessorized this dress with the belt and the necklace. The orange jacket is a nice touch as well. Such a lovely look!

    Your vintage finds are fabulous. The items you found in Tanja's shop are adorable. I also really like the vintage containers with skylarks, they are so beautiful. Great tip from Tanja to protect them from rust, just in case.

    I wish you a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! I knew you'd appreciate those sleeves! xxx

      Delete
  18. You look gorgeous in that dress! Also, I´m in love with the belts and the vintage brooches. I have just discovered your blog and now I´m following you!
    Kisses from https://sophisticatedmeblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. So nice to have the opportunity to wear that gorgeous dress! I have dresses that need just the right weather to bring them out of the wardrobe, it’s a little frustrating but makes the days you wear them feel extra special.

    I’d have purchased that beaded bag too, it’s gorgeous!

    I had a very similar butterfly brooch when I was little, making it my favourite of your finds :) And I have similar memories of playing with my Grandmother’s buttons, I have a stash now too but it doesn’t contain such gorgeous vintage finds as yours. The canisters are gorgeous.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hazel! I didn't really need another bag (handbag ban!) but then I find something irresistible like this one! xxx

      Delete
  20. lovely dress, the print, the sleeves, everything is fabulous (even if I totally agree on those sleeves being impractical in the winter!). And so lovely orange jacket too!
    I always admire your finds, those brooches are so cute, the buttons, the vintage canisters!, They're gorgeous!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Monica! Glad you mention the orange leather jacket, which is such a workhorse this time of year! xxx

      Delete
  21. I love those canisters and you can't go wrong with a colourful watch strap! I quickly changed the black one on my Snoopy watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gisela, and obviously your Snoopy watch deserved a more colourful strap! xxx

      Delete
  22. You did find some wonderful things at the flea market - those canisters are in amazing condition. And I love the 'playing card' buttons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what I'm going to do with those playing card buttons, but they were too good to resist! xxx

      Delete