Saturday 25 May 2019

I can see clearly now

Hello my friends! No, you don't have to adjust your screens, nor is there something wrong with your eyesight! There is - or rather was - something wrong with mine though, and rather than just have my prescription lenses upgraded, I thought I'd splash out on some swanky new eye-wear.

Thanks to my Mum, I've been short-sighted since my early twenties. Well, probably even a bit longer than that, but as long as it was still a minor thing, I chose to ignore it, rather than having to wear glasses, which I dreaded.


Stubbornly, I kept squinting and sitting in the front row at the cinema until it was no longer comfortable and there was nothing for it but to purchase my first pair of glasses. I hated them with a vengeance and only wore them when strictly necessary, so that at first not many people saw me wearing them!

So reluctant was I to give in to the inevitable that by the time I was in my late twenties, I decided to try contact lenses. Bye, bye horrible glasses!



Then, in the early noughties, I developed a problem with one of my eyes, and was advised to stop wearing lenses for a while. Not wanting to be seen dead in my old pair of specs, I treated myself to some sassy new ones. They had thin, rectangular red frames, and were tiny, which was all the rage back then. I loved wearing them and got so many compliments that I never went back to contact lenses at all. I even bought a second, similar pair in purple!

I've had my current pair, the ones you've all come to know, for about six years and while I still love them, I thought it was time for a change. Besides, I needed another adjustment and, since age-related farsightedness had cropped up over the years and I've had a prescription pair of reading glasses for quite a while, I thought I'd take the plunge and try multifocals!




They felt weird at first, and although I'm still not fully used to them, I can definitely appreciate the advantages.

Last weekend started early, as I'd taken Friday afternoon off, to allow myself two and a half days of trying them out, without having to sit in front of a computer screen for most of the day.

My outfit that day was a happy marriage of retail and second hand. The floaty floral dress was a sales buy at C&A two Winters ago, while my pink cardigan, the belt and beaded necklace, as well as the velvety PANK (Sheila's word!) jacket were charity shopped.


Both the plum coloured shoes (they're from Hotter, and were a silly € 2) and the brooch were flea market finds.

Speaking of charity shopping, this is what we usually do on Saturdays. Plus, I felt the need to try out my glasses in all kinds of situations, including shopping!

And what a joy it is not having to squint when trying to read labels and book spines, or checking over a garment for any defaults or stains.


But the weather was gorgeous, so a walk in the park was on the cards as well.

Oh, how I love the fresh greens of Spring, the lushness still full of promise and hope. The park is sprinkled with flowers: from the timid lacecap Hydrangeas to the showy Rhododendrons, they all fill my heart with joy.


It must be a good year for daisies, as the lawn near the pond was absolutely covered in them.

Just look at them, all innocence an purity, their pollen covered yellow hearts slightly staining my peachy pink ankle boots, which had their very first outing. They're from the New Look closing down sale, and together with the necklace I was wearing, they were the only retail buys in my otherwise second hand and shop-my-wardrobe outfit.


I've had the Diolen skirt, an early Think Twice find, for many years and I'm still very much in love with its exuberant floral print. The orange velvet jacket was charity shopped back in April, while the brooch I pinned to it was a flea market find from December 2017.

The basket bag is one of my favourites but I've been racking my brain as to where it came from. If you're reading this sentence it means I still haven't got a clue!


The short-sleeved top is another old favourite, bought from Think Twice at around the same time as the skirt. There was no way I could resist its funky print! The brooch I pinned to its collar was part of a huge haul from a Carmarthen antiques shop on a rainy day in June 2017.

And here's the other retail buy, my necklace, which came from Accessorize, who used to have a shop near my office. After more than ten years with regular outings, it has earned a permanent place in my jewellery collection!


If you half-close your eyes, the banks of Rhododendrons reflected in the pond turn into an impressionist painting. There's cow parsley everywhere, as well as the first of the dog roses.

Mingled among the reeds bordering the pond are the gently nodding heads of Yellow Flag Iris, thought to be the inspiration for the fleur-de-lis symbol.


With its variety of views, from long and mid distance to close-ups, our walk in the park proved to be the perfect exercise for my eyes. 

So was our visit to the charity shop within walking distance of the park.


Scrutinizing the jewellery stand, I found these three bangles, two of which are Bakelite! Nobody seems to have a clue at this shop, as they're all priced the same, € 1,50 each.


These two necklaces came home with me as well! I particularly love the one on the left, which reminds me of a set of wooden mosaic tiles I played with as a child.



My final buy, and the only one from the clothing aisles, was this cute top with unusual lobster print, complete with tag and spare button. It's from Flair Goes Retro, and was produced in 2015 for Belgian magazine Flair, which is aimed at young women. I used to read it when it first appeared in the early 1980s.

There's no way I would ever forked out its original retail price of € 49,95, but couldn't resist it at € 4.

Last weekend's adventures weren't finished yet, as we had a flea market on Sunday. But that will be for my next post!

Linking to Patti's Visible Monday at Not Dead Yet Style!

39 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  2. (Apologies for deletion above. Blame predictive text!)

    Oooh! So many bargains. I am sooo jealous of your Bakelite bangle swag! All my bangles are fake. Every time I stumble across a genuine one I invariably get told, "That's Bakelite, you know. That's why it's fifty quid". One day...

    And I love your new mosaic tile necklace. And the pops of orange in your outfit. I've worn glasses since I was six years old, (contact lenses since I was 17), and am severely myopic. I'm also experiencing lots of fun new problems because the lens of my right eye is now so stretched my vision is really distorted. I have to have prismatic reading glasses because I get double vision. Getting older is such fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fig! I've found Bakelite bangles in the same chazza before, and a marvellous green one at a flea market. I'd never in a million years pay fifty quid. The distorted vision sounds horrible. xxx

      Delete
  3. I used to wear glasses and like you I hated them. I quickly switched to contact lenses and wore them for many years. About 16 years ago we both got corrective eye surgery. Best. Decision. Ever. Now that we're getting up there we need to get it done again. Apparently it can fix the aging issues with focusing too now. I can't stand it when I can no longer read labels.

    I love your new glasses. Very funky.

    Your bold eclectic outfit is such a joy to admire. The spring flowers are trying their best to compete with it. The field of daisies is dreamy. We are just back from Houston where it was 38 C with the humidex. Insane. Flowers were everywhere though.

    Love that "rock" lobster shirt! : P

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm such a scaredy cat, so I'm not sure corrective eye surgery is for me. Besides, I've gotten used to seeing myself with glasses and I think it actually looks weird when I'm not wearing them. It'll be my "rock lobster" shirt from now one. Thanks for the earworm! xxx

      Delete
  4. Your new glasses are lovely! I love the pink frames. I only wore glasses for a year (fourth grade if I remember well), I didn't have a prescription, but there was something wrong with my eye muscles and I saw things double up close. I would do eye exercises every day and I managed to fix my eye problem. I didn't mind wearing the glasses, though. Lots of people in my family do and I always thought glasses are cute.

    I love how you paired your new frames with the pink denim jacket in the first outfit. Lovely dress as well. I like the second outfit as well. That's a gorgeous dress and it looks great paired with a pink cardigan. The orange jacket looks lovely as well....and I just adore the mix of patterns in the last look. Fabulous blouse and skirt. I love how you wear the patterns. Have a great weekend!

    https://modaodaradosti.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! Now that I'm used to wearing glasses, I do no longer mind. Quite the opposite, I love wearing them! xxx

      Delete
  5. Your new glasses look lovely! :) I have to wear glasses to read or work at the computer - the downside of having a job in IT and staring at screens all day, haha!

    I really like your floral dress and pink cardigan outfit too :)

    Hope that you are having a nice weekend :)



    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica! My new glasses have blue filter to make working on the computer easier on the eyes. xxx

      Delete
  6. Such flattering glasses befitting your style and your face! And I love all the pattern mixing you did in this spring-loving outfit. You find the best treasures!

    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry, glad you love the glasses. I tried a lot of them, and was still undecided until the optician showed me these: love at first sight! xxx

      Delete
  7. Tri focals were a life-changing thing for me. Having that mid-range is helpful. I love the frames you bought.

    Isn't it a thrill finding bakelite at bargain prices? The carved bracelet is beautiful, though they're all quite special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more, Goody. Having that mid-range is an ... err ... eye-opener! xxx

      Delete
  8. So much to love again in this post, Ann! I absolutely love your second outfit! The print mixing is fabulous and I love your accessories! Those bangles were a great find and that lobster top is so cool! Love the new specs, too! Hope you have a great week! ;) XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sasha! I was quite pleased with how that second outfit turned out. I just mixed and matched without any previous planning. xxx

      Delete
  9. Ohhhhhhhhhh I am in love with this cute lobster print blouse. What a luck you had! ❤️
    And I love the daisies in the park and all your wonderful flowered styles!
    great you see better ;)
    I start wearing lenses with 16. Since I earn my own money.
    With a very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! I thought you might like that lobster print top! xxx

      Delete
  10. Love the glasses! Jon went for varifocals last time and is really pleased.
    That pink jacket in your first photo is such a great colour, the dress is your second is a delight and the third outfit an absolute riot of colour and joy. The necklace on the left is a thing of beauty and the lobster top is such fun.
    How pretty those daisies are, love the duck among them! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix. I'm very pleased with mine too, although I still find it hard to work on the computer with them. I might need special glasses for that. xxx

      Delete
  11. very chic new glasses!!! glam!!!
    looove the pattern mixing you wore to the park. and the pale boots!
    nature is so beautiful at the moment, our house is a tiny island in a green ocean with big waves - birds singing the whole day like there is no tomorrow....
    biggest hug! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate! Oh how I wish our house was a tiny island in a green ocean too. Just the thought is making me feel totally relaxed. Such a great metaphor! xxx

      Delete
  12. wow, your new glasses fit you fabulously, love their retro-chic style with lots of personality. And I enjoyed particularly to know about how you started to wear glasses, as I also did in my twenties. And I also had a pair of edgy small glasses, they were oval shaped and made me feel über-cool!. But the Big Change in my life was my first pair of sunníes with prescription glasses (now I own 5 of them!)
    Back to your fabulous outfits, I love your PAnk jacket and the floral dress with that cute print!. And also loving the mixed prints and your orange jacket in the second outfit, which has such a fab texture and color!. Love the cute brooch and necklace, and your bag too!
    And I admire your finds, bakelite bracelets are so amazing and love the wooden pieces necklace, such great design!.
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica, and thank you for sharing your "glasses" story. I have one pair of prescription sunnies. The frames were found in a charity shop and cost only € 1,50. I'd love to have a second pair, though! xxx

      Delete
  13. Love the new glasses and once you get used to vari-focals they rock! I, too wore glasses from an early age (9) or rather I didn't wear them. The school nurse would pop her head around the classroom door and shout 'Veronica why aren't you wearing your glasses?' and I would have to put them on...

    Loved your outfits and your bangle finds are fab" Love the two necklaces and the blouse is gorgeous. Is it long or short sleeved?

    Hope you have a great week.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your little story made me smile, I could see it all in front of me. Oh, and the lobster top is short sleeved! xxx

      Delete
  14. LOVE the new glasses! What a great-looking pair, and they look awesome on you, Ann! Love that PANK too!

    What a score on the Bakelite bangles! I'm envious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! I can see myself wearing that PANK jacket a lot this Summer! xxx

      Delete
  15. Your new specs really suit you. I spotted them straight away.
    Talking about Bakelite, Philip has just fitted some Bakelite and wooden light switches in our newly decorated bedroom. They’re repro ones and looking fabulous.
    I love your skirt the pattern is gorgeous and the swishy style.
    Love from us two xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn! We have some original Bakelite light switches here at Dove Cottage! Love from the both of us. xxx

      Delete
  16. Your new glasses look great and sound really useful if you don't need to keep swapping them over.
    The lobster print top looks fun and you have showcased some great outfits, I love the riot of colour, beautiful. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally! I still need separate glasses to work on the computer, though! xxx

      Delete
  17. just stopping by to wish you a great day!

    https://modaodaradosti.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you're having a great day too, Ivana! xxx

      Delete
  18. Such beautiful spring landscape photos. And your fabulous floral prints are just the thing for spring. Those bakelite bangles were quite a find. I started wearing progressive bifocals several years ago. I had a pair of vintage cat eye frames that my optometrist was able to put my prescription in. The progressives did take a while to get used to, but now I'm very happy with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Theresa! They do take some getting used to, but I'm very happy with them as well! xxx

      Delete
  19. I love your new frames, they’re really striking. I started wearing glasses when I was about 17 and as it was only for reading and computer work I didn’t mind too much. Now I wear them more often and feel wrong without them on. I started with a small pair too and they’re getting progressively larger as the years go on! I’m glad your glasses have been thoroughly tested - including shopping (that made me chuckle).

    I love that C&A dress, the colours and pattern I find really appealing. I might use the colours as inspiration for a jumper I want my Mum to knit for me (I can knit small toys but actual garments seem too big a task for me).

    We have Yellow Flag Iris around our pond, but I didn’t know what it was called until now, thank you. Isn’t it pretty?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hazel! I would never have thought I'd prefer glasses over contact lenses, but there you go. I do feel wrong without them on too! xxx

      Delete
  20. Oooh, orange velvet jacket with Diolen skirt - I like! Such great colour combinations.

    I think multifocals are looming for me; I can't see three feet beyond my face without my specs, but lately I've found myself taking my glasses off for close work. It's good to know you're finding them such an improvement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mim! I'm loving my multifocals, but still need separate glasses for computer work! xxx

      Delete