Friday 8 April 2016

Sky of blue and sea of green

In spite of my last post’s orange theme, most of last weekend’s finds were inspired by my dress’s other colour: green. This was not intentional, I should add, although I've been having a thing for green lately. 




Maybe it’s a spring thing as suddenly, in the last couple of days, nature seems to have had a wakeup call and buds have started appearing on our garden’s shrubs almost overnight.  All those fresh new greens are masquerading the fact that our little patch of garden is looking very neglected and is badly in need of some serious pruning.  It’s a real jungle out there for our cat Phoebe to prowl around in and with lots of secret hiding places to watch the local wildlife from.  It’s even got a giant drinking bowl, in the form of a completely overgrown little pond.


Devil & Angel
But I digress. Back to the subject at hand which is last weekend’s vintage haul.

It all started on Saturday, when we visited one of our regular charity shops. They still had a few leftovers from last month’s “Retro Day”, and they were now seriously reduced in price.  It was only after we came home that we discovered the green theme though ...



























So, here are the things we found: a cute little enamelware teapot, a vintage thermos flask (we already have the same one in red), a groovy mirror and brush set and a nice handbag for my collection.

Wait! You’re saying the handbag is not green? Well, you've got a point, but see: it has a green lining!






The background for some of these pictures is a vintage find from last year : a green vinyl covered swivel chair, for which we only paid a fraction of the usual price as it’s got some torn seams. 

It’s being used as my office chair which I'm sitting on when I'm blogging!










On Sunday, we had a touch of spring here, so it was a very pleasant drive for our monthly visit to Blender Vintage Shop.

Apart from a fabric fair, with a fabulous array of vintage fabrics and haberdashery, they had a clothes sale on, which was very hard to resist. In fact, I did not even attempt to resist it and bought two dresses featuring … yes, you guessed right: green! 



Here I am  posing in front of our potting shed in one of my purchases: a blue and green box-pleated dress with tie. And guess who wanted to be in the pictures as well?

This just leaves last weekend’s other, non-green, finds.



This little cream handbag, which is a little worse for wear, but which I couldn’t resist because of its Lucite closure. I already had a similar but slightly bigger black one, found at a vintage market last September. Don’t they make a great pair?




Finally, there’s this elegant navy jacket, shown here by Angelica. It’s got a French label no less! 













I love its unusual shawl collar and I think it will be perfect with the red pleated skirt I bought last month or paired with the 1950s style dress I bought at Easter. What do you think?




18 comments:

  1. Lovely handbags, the lucite clasp is gorgeous! I am again in awe of what you manage to find x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melanie, that handbag really was a lucky find, as I already had another one like it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those lucite clasps are beautiful! I really love the light streaming through them!
    You look gorgeous in that dress (another amazing find!!!)x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie. It took me a while to get that photo of the lucite clasps right, though. xxx

      Delete
  4. You've got some great finds including the lucite handles. I like your dress especially the neckline.
    We are off to Stockport Vintage Village tomorrow where we will see Vix. It's always the highlight of our month. Wonder what we'll find this time. I'm seriously going to have to get rid of some stuff we can hardly move round, especially clothes wise haha xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having visited the Stockport Vintage Village website, I fully understand that it's the highlight of your month! I have been very brave this weekend and bagged up a few things for the charity shop. xxx

      Delete
  5. That's a very pretty dress and the jacket is such a gorgeous colour. I've never run across a plaid Thermos-that's something I should look for as I'm plaid obsessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those plaid Thermos flasks were quite common here at the time. They were made in England. We bought our other one at a flea market in the UK last summer, and were give another, probably even older one, for free. xxx

      Delete
  6. Such a lovely dress! I adore the classic tie neck and endlessly pretty colours. One would be hard pressed to find a better dress for April and the return of blue skies. Many happy congrats on your wonderful latest acquisitions. You find some truly sensational vintage in your neck of the woods.

    Big hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Jessica. For me, April is always difficult. As soon as the weather warms up, I want to wear all my long-forgotten spring/summer dresses at the same time, and have a problem choosing. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems that you can always buy very nice items in those shops! I especially like the vintage bags :thanks to your close ups, the closure detail of the cream one is well visible ... I love it!
    Beautiful swivel chair ... which would go perfectly also in my bedroom!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dan. I have to do a post on some of my bags, I guess. It seems the green chair is very popular here. If I'm not mistaken, it is Italian design :) xxx

      Delete
  9. Phoebe is adorable!
    Your green chair is gorgeous and I'm eyeing up your Thermos flasks, we broke our trusty tartan one on Sunday. I'm on the hunt for a replacement. We can't do a vintage fair without coffee!
    Gorgeous dress. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vix! I won't tell Phoebe you said that, though. We call her Princess Phoebe or The Duchess, so enough said. I'm sorry to hear you broke your Thermos flask. I'd be on the lookout for you, but I don't think it would survive sending it to the UK. xxx

      Delete
  10. Ooh, that box-pleated dress and navy jacket! You find the BEST things. That square-handled bag is pretty special too.

    Aw, cute Phoebe. I bet she's glad of the warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mim. Phoebe just loves being outside in the garden at this time of year. xxx

      Delete
  11. Hello Phoebe! What a cutie. I'm a sucker for green. That vinyl chair is gorgeous! What a lovely chair to sit on whilst blogging. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tania. I'm a sucker for green too. I admit that Phoebe does look cute, but cuddly she isn't, and she can be a bit of a drama queen ... xxx

      Delete