Tuesday 5 April 2016

Orange Crush

I am not afraid of colour and can honestly say that there are few colours which I don't like at all, but I don't have a favourite one either. I'm just going through phases of liking a particular colour more than others. However, even the colours I usually tend to avoid, like pastels, beige or taupe, seem to end up in my wardrobe from time to time.
For me, it is a question of love at first sight when it comes to clothes, although over the years I have learned to try on things I would not normally go for, only to be pleasantly surprised when the mirror says that it's actually not too bad!


For some reason, orange is a colour which I have avoided for years. I cannot explain this as, having grown up in the 1960s and 1970s, it is a colour I have fond memories of. In my teens, my bedroom's wallpaper had an orange pattern, chosen by me when the time came to replace the "kittens" wallpaper of my childhood.

What's more, when having a look around our house, it seems there is quite a lot of orange in it.

Our sitting room even has orange wallpaper!



Last year, though, I fell for a sleeveless summer frock printed with huge orange flowers, after which orange started appearing on a more regular basis in my wardrobe.













Saturday was cloudy and still far too chilly to wear a summer dress. When going through my wardrobe for a transitional kind of dress, I stumbled upon this green and orange short-sleeved one, which I thought was quite right.
The fabric is Crimplene or similar, and the dress is fully lined, making it warm enough for the rather disappointing temperatures. The forecast promised spring weather, but we hardly saw the sun all day.


The dress's high-necked bodice and puffy sleeves feature glorious diagonal stripes in olive and dark green, brown, white, pink and, of course, lots of orange. In fact, the orange really pops out and draws the eye. Below the self-fabric belt, the dress's green skirt is box-pleated. Again, this dress has a back zip which you need help closing.


























The orange stripes called for further orange details, so on went a bright orange cardigan, to which I pinned one of my "Bambi" brooches.
I also chose vintage orange beads (charity shopped last week) and a glittery orange ring as accessories.

I found the A-line coat I'm wearing at Oxfam in December. I love it and it has just the right kind of thickness for this time of year.


I'm wearing orangey-red tights and short suede boots with an elastic inset and buckle closure at the front. They are just the right height and very comfortable.

Saturday was filled with a shorter than usual visit to a charity shop followed by my niece's 14th birthday party which featured this season's first barbecue. It was far too chilly to dine outside though.






Hopefully, spring is just around the corner. It is April, after all ...

Dress: Think Twice
Coat, boots, beads: charity shopped
Brooch: flea market
Cardigan and tights: retail

I am looking forward to wearing my spring and summer frocks again. Are you as bored of your winter clothes as I am?

21 comments:

  1. I love orange, so much so that we even bought an orange campervan.
    The huge print looks remarkably like a 1970s Scandi fabric I've used to make a blind upstairs. I'd love to see the dress!
    That dress you're wearing is incredible and perfect with the cardi and smart coat.
    Next time you visit the UK you really must visit Vintage Village at Stockport, I swear it's the best place in Britain for the type of fabulous vintage you love! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you must time it for when we are all there. We would have a great day.. I'm excited at the very thought of it xxx

      Delete
    2. The dress is a sleeveless shift, and it's currently hibernating at the bottom of our linen chest. I'll post a picture when I've dug it out. I'm not sure, but it might well be Scandinavian. I've had a look at the Vintage Village website and it looks fab! xxx

      Delete
  2. I've never worn much orange myself, but I do like the look of your orange cardigan. It looks great teamed with your new dress. Yes, I'm hoping spring will arrive soon...very soon please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That cardi is a cheap retail one, and nothing like the fab things that you are knitting. Meanwhile, we had two and a half days of spring here, but now we're back to autumn. Oh, well. xxx

      Delete
  3. Put my name on that dress when you've done with it, its gorgeous. I love it.
    I know what you mean about the zip thing, I find that a lot with my vintage dresses.
    Im chuckling here, can you imagine us raiding each others wardrobes, wouldn't we have a ball
    LYnn xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe I knew you were going to say that? It's yours if I ever tire of it, which I doubt I will though. I've visited the Vintage Village website and saw your "Finds of the Fair" report. I've also liked your Vintage Habit facebook page! xxx

      Delete
  4. Wow, that is a beautiful collection of orange and outfit is green and orange perfection! I adore the way you combined these items in this wonderful way!! Love the beautiful deer brooch too!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I knew you would like the brooch ... xxx

      Delete
  5. Fantastic outfit! I really, really like the vibrant, yet earthy, colour palette you've created here.

    Orange is my husband's favourite colour, so I've really developed a deeper fondness for it over the course of our 12 years together.

    Big hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica. My husband's favourite colour is yellow, which I do not wear often enough. xxx

      Delete
  6. Oh yes, I lived with an orange bedroom as well (orange wallpaper, pink shag rug...it was the 60's, what can I say?). The kitchen was orange too, now that I think of it.

    Your outfit is so nicely put together-the cardigan looks like it was made for the dress. Fun beads too-you find the most interesting accessories.

    Hope your weather starts behaving more spring-like soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Goody. I have found quite a few colourful vintage beads in the last couple of weeks. Oh, and I had a shag rug too, but mine was red. If I remember correctly, the kitchen was lilac at some point. xxx

      Delete
  7. I love orange too, and I have to say the colour suits you. The orange teemed with dark green really works well. I love my winter woollies but am looking forward to some sandal wearing this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Claire! I was amazed to see that the colours worked so well together, and the orange added a touch of sunshine, which wasn't actually there. xxx

      Delete
  8. I like orange, I'm very drawn to reds, pinks, purples and oranges. My mothers flat was a showcase of seventies taste at one point, all brown, orange and purple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents' house was built in the early 60s, and was very modern at the time. Of course, they redecorated in the 70s, with lots of oranges and browns, and lilac/purple in the kitchen. xxx

      Delete
  9. Yup, deffo ready for some summer clothes. Though I'm a bit chubbier than I was last year, so I still need to lose a few pounds to get into them...

    I love that green and orange dress with the orange cardi. Really natty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow, there are always some summer clothes that have become too snug over winter. I wonder why that is :) xxx

      Delete
  10. Fancy stumbling across that in your wardrobe! I'd be wearing that all the time if it was in mine, it's just great. Yes, orange is a tricky one, but if you're interested in 70s stuff there's nor much getting away from it! Oh gawd yes, i'm bored of winter clothes by the end of October. Roll on summer! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I'd bought the dress last summer, I'd completely forgotten about it, but I think I should definitely start wearing it more. xxx

      Delete