Tuesday 25 April 2023

Sights for sore eyes

At the time of writing, my eyes and glasses seem to have come to some sort of agreement, which means I'm no longer suffering from daily headaches and sore eyes. 

However, it was a totally different story on my first days wearing them at the office after the Easter break. Although I did  make the effort to take regular breaks and look into the distance to avoid digital eye strain - the ideal is 20 seconds every 20 minutes - my eyes were taking a long time to refocus whenever I was taking time off from the screen.


Both Tuesday and Wednesday saw me reach for paracetamol on more than one occasion while eye drops were administered aplenty. I was so tired in the evenings that I fell asleep on the sofa, which is virtually unheard of for me. But I did manage to go outside into the garden and see - although with slightly blurred vision - that all was thriving. As always the honesty flowers popping up one by one, a sea of bluebells in the making, and the first of the dusky cranesbill (Geranium phaeum) blooms were a sight for sore eyes!



Then Thursday the 13th of April dawned and much to my surprise my eyes were behaving more or less normally. I was gazing out of the office window at the cityscape at my feet when I suddenly noticed the steep gable roof with its rows of dormer windows belonging the 500-year old Gothic Vleeshuis (Butchers' Hall) peeking out above the roofs to the right of the cathedral. It truly beggars belief that I'd never noticed this before in all the 28 years I've been working here! 

Apologies for the crap photo, but I only had my phone at my disposal.

It was a sunny day, with highs of 13°C, and a blustery wind propelling along an armada of clouds. After a string of rainy days which had kept me inside for most of the time, this was the perfect opportunity to go for a bracing walk and give my eyes a well-deserved rest. So, why not walk to the aforementioned Butchers' hall? 

 

My route first took me to the Grote Markt, Antwerp's market square, which is lined with lavishly decorated Guild houses. Admittedly, they are not as old as they look. The original houses being destroyed by fire in 1576, they were rebuilt in Flemish Renaissance style, and revamped again in the 19th century. 

The bronze statue in front of the newly renovated 16th century town hall is the famous Brabo, caught in the act of throwing away a severed hand. According to legend, Brabo rid the city of the evil giant Antigoon, who demanded tolls from people wanting to cross the river, cutting off the hands of those who refused to pay. After slaying the giant, Brabo gave him a taste of his own medicine by severing his hand and throwing it into the river Scheldt. According to popular belief, this is where the city's name is derived from, handwerpen being Flemish for hand throwing.




At the other side of the square,  Antwerp's Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekathedraal (Cathedral of our Lady) is proudly showing off the elegance of its tower, finally rid of its disfiguring scaffolding behind which it was hidden for many a year.

I wasn't too pleased to see the dark clouds behind it, but courtesy of the stormy wind they didn't linger, taking their liquid content elsewhere. Phew!

I left the Grote Markt by taking the street at the right of the town hall and continued walking into the direction of the Butchers' Hall. This part of Antwerp used to be the site of a colourful harbour district. Completely demolished in the 1960s and 1970s, it was replaced by a soulless and much scorned social housing development (below, top left).



Finally arriving at the Butchers’ Hall, I was dismayed to find that construction work was going on in front of it, my view marred by a flock of fluorescent orange-jacketed workmen and their machinery. I only managed to photograph around them by pointing my camera upwards.

A Butchers' Hall was built here as early as 1250, functioning as a meat market where butchers could sell their merchandise. The beginning of the 16th century marked the start of Antwerp’s Golden Age and when the existing hall could no longer cope with the needs of a growing population, a new one was decided upon. Built between 1501 and 1504 in the same spot, it was twice the size of the original hall, its façade made of alternating layers of red brick and white sandstone, locally known as bacon layers.


After the Butchers’ Hall lost its primarily function in 1810 when the French occupying forces abolished the Guilds, the building was used as a storage depot and a theatre. Eventually, in 1899, the city acquired the hall and opened it as a museum in 1919, displaying a miscellaneous collection of historic objects, including pottery, drawings, lace, weapons and jewellery. In the 1970s, musical instruments became a prominent part of the collection, at which time I remember visiting it with my Dad. After another round of renovations, it was finally reopened in 2006 as Sounds of the City, a museum which tells the story of 600 years of music in the city of Antwerp. I haven't been to see it yet, but Kezzie has, on my recommendation, when she visited Antwerp back in February 2022.

Walking away from the Butchers' Hall and into the direction of the quayside, I came across a remnant of the early 13th century town walls, living cheek by jowl with early 20th century and 21st century architecture.



At the quayside, I came face to face with Het Steen. Literally meaning "the stone", it was given its name as it was the city's first large building constructed in stone. What remains today is only a fraction of the once mighty castle. The building used to be the centre of the city's oldest neighbourhood, with narrow streets, gates, towers and a fish market. The castle was altered several times during its history, and it is actually quite easy to see which part of the castle is still original, as the 13th century masonry is much darker than the later additions.

In fact, its latest addition is brand new, built between 2018 and 2021. Once again considered a monstrosity by the citizens of Antwerp, you can see part of it at the left of the old castle in the photo on the top right. You can find a much better photo here, on the Visit Antwerpen website. Opened in 2021, it contains a Visitor Centre, a cruise terminal, The Antwerp Story discovery trail and a panoramic roof terrace. Unfortunately, at the time of my visit, I didn't realize the latter was freely accessible, so I'll have to return for the view!

Near the entrance of the castle stands one of Antwerp's most famous statues. Dating from 1963, it depicts the legendary figure of Lange Wapper who, according to Antwerp folklore, could grow to the size of a giant and terrorized the city in the 16th century.



Above the gateway leading into Het Steen is a heavily worn bas-relief sculpture known as Semini which is said to date from as far back as the 2nd century. Like its female counterpart, the Sheela-na-gig, it is considered to be a fertility symbol. In the 16th century, the local clergy came to find the well-endowed figure inappropriate and had a certain body part removed in 1587. 

On the occasion of the reopening of Het Steen, the city commissioned Antwerp artist Sharon Van Overmeiren to create a new artwork inspired by the Semini. Made from wrought iron, bronze and clay, the contemporary sculpture entitled "De Gulle Waard/The Generous Gatekeeper" is taking pride of place in the castle's courtyard.


All too soon it was time to return to the office. But not before walking past the Water Bus terminal towards the promenade on the banks of the River Scheldt and the giant Ferris wheel called The View.

I'm sure this will offer an even more magnificent panorama of the city, its port and its river. If one doesn't suffer from vertigo, that is!


There wasn't any time for a proper stroll along the windswept promenade - so windswept, in fact, that I had difficulty holding on to my beret - but I promise I will return for more Antwerp views one day soon.


And then we were Friday! No day off for me, though, as my colleague is still on sick leave, but I did manage to take the afternoon off. 

In order to avoid traffic, I'd agreed with Jos that I would take the tram into Mortsel like I did in the olden days, and he would pick me up there. It was my first tram ride in three years, and it felt strange and curiously familiar at the same time.

As my eyes were once again behaving badly, I declined Jos's proposal to go charity shopping and went straight home instead.



After a frosty start, the day brought a continuation of Thursday's sunny weather, with highs of 14°C.

I was quite surprised to find that this plaid patterned Diolen dress hadn't received its seasonal outing yet. Apart from it cheery green, red, navy and white colours, it's got a dagger collar, shiny square black buttons framed in white metal and turned-up cuffs, closing with two buttons. Here are some details, if you're interested.



As usual, I added lots of red (belt, ring, necklace and cardigan), but this time I opted for sage green opaques and my beloved green ankle boots. To my - charity shopped - King Louie cardigan I pinned the green bird brooch I found at the indoor flea market's last edition.



After a slow start on Saturday, the sun came out to play, warming up to 15°C. However, the wind once again played spoilsport, making it feel rather unpleasant in the shade.

After lunch, we drove over to the garden centre and made use of their offer on perennials, choosing some shade loving ones for our passageway project. 

We ended the afternoon sitting outside in the sunshine in Jos's son and daughter in law's garden, watching grandson Cas play with the remote control tractor we gave him as a present.



I'll leave you now with the day's outfit. It was warm enough to the wear the moss green H&M cord jacket I picked up from our local flea market in July 2019. The spotty red blouse was charity shopped between Lockdowns in 2020, and I combined it with the recently found Terra di Siena Paisley patterned maxi skirt.


Accessories consisted of one of my stretchy belts, my green birds in flight brooch bought in Cardigan, and a charity shopped necklace which always reminds me of a set of wooden mosaic tiles I played with as a child. On my feet, the comfy faux-lace-up No Stress boots which came home with me from a charity shop last December.

See you next time!



36 comments:

  1. Before I forget - Hycosan eye drops (with a red label) - as recommended by my optician, they're amazing and should help with your transition to your new glasses, I think that's why I had no trouble adjusting to my varifocals.
    Your photos of Antwerp make me want to get on the next flight over there, what a beautiful city with such varied architecture. It's gorgeous.
    Your tartan dress and floral maxi skirt look incredible, fantastic pattern mixing there, Mrs!
    What a big boy Cas is and doesn't he look like Jos? Our bluebells and Forget-me-Nots came out over the weekend, the garden is a riot of blue. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! I couldn't find Hycosan eye drops here, but found a suitable alternative, which I realized I've used in the past. Always welcome in Antwerp, by the way! xxx

      Delete
  2. Did you check these glasses / your eyes again? It sounds a bit disturbing how much problems you have to adjust. In any case, good luck! Rest your eyes looking at lots of greens that spring will bring. Hopefully. Soon, please. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All is well with my glasses now. I was warned it could take up to three weeks for my eyes to adjust ... xxx

      Delete
  3. Oh, I am so glad to hear that your headaches have gone. I'm glad your eyes are adjusting to the new glasses! It can be such a difficult process. The pictures you took are so so beautiful. The architecture is incredible. I'm glad you were able to get a good photo of Butchers Hall, despite the construction work. I always learn so much about so many interesting places from you! I love that you visit so many different spots. I love all of your clothes, always, but I especially love that moss green cord jacket. That colour looks so wonderful on you!

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon! We've actually gone back to the Butchers Hall today, and were happy to see the construction work had finished! xxx

      Delete
  4. glad that your eyes get used to the new glasses!
    its interesting (and disturbing) that the antwerpians - like the dresdners - do hate modern architecture too. its silly IMO - because if there never was "modern" architecture, we would still live in and be surrounded by draughty huts made of wood, grass and clay.....
    :-D
    spring has sprung in your garden and you look the part in that may green jacket with the paisley skirt - fab!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate! I'm relieved that my eyes finally got used to them.
      I applaud modern architecture if it's really innovative, and not just a poor replica of what was there before ... xxx

      Delete
  5. Antwerp really is very beautiful, although I had no idea of the gruesome story purportedly behind its name. So glad you are able to see your inspiring surroundings more clearly now! Yes please, I for one would love to see more of the promenade!
    Cas looks smitten with his tractor doesn't he?
    Your final outfit is a stunner! That green cord jacket works beautifully with the gorgeous paisley skirt and I wouldn't have thought to add a red and white polka dot blouse but it works perfectly! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! That red and white polka dot blouse was a last minute addition as I initially didn't have a clue what to wear with the skirt! xxx

      Delete
  6. It's lovely to see that spring has arrived in your garden and I'm so pleased that your eyes are beginning to behave themselves.
    I laughed at 'bacon layers' - what an apt name! - and loved the derivation of Antwerp. Beautiful architecture in your city, no matter what the weather.
    My favourite outfit of yours today is the Diolen dress - the red really sings out. (Mind you, I covet your maxi skirt, too!) x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice! Antwerp is indeed blessed with lots of beautiful architecture, which is something I often forget after having worked there for almost 30 years ... xxx

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the pics and guided visit into Antwerp, such delightful views, fab architecture (even modern one can be fab too), and so interesting to see your surroundings!.
    I'm in love with that plaid Diolen dress and red accessorizing!, indeed!.
    Also lovely polka dots & paisley combo and that cord jacket is amazing!!
    Great news that your eyes feel better!
    Besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Monica, perhaps you'll pay us a visit one day? xxx

      Delete
  8. I Love the Diolen dress! You look wonderful in it...
    I'm an Anglophile and love all the history in your photos! How wonderful to take a stroll through such buildings!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna! I'm an Anglophile too, although I do live in Belgium rather than in England! xxx

      Delete
  9. I am very happy about this wonderful little walk through Antwerp. What a beautiful city... the tower of the cathedral, the renaissance houses, the castle... thank you... I look it up on google right away and it says 8 hours and 14 minutes by car... I don't believe that, that can not be.
    I think Antwerp is a city for a wonderful short break oh yes... your robe is stunning again, the red blouse with big dots and the lovely beret :-))) Yes :-))
    Little Cas is cute... lots of joy for you.
    A hug to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Viola! Always welcome to come and visit, you'll get a free guide :-) xxx

      Delete
  10. ... not robe!!! --- dress code ---

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some glorious buildings in Antwerp. Such an interesting city that you live in. I was watching a film and it showed the railway station, stunning I must say.
    I hope that your eyes have settled and that you are comfortable with your new specs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carole! Indeed, Antwerp's railway station is a stunner, particularly now that it has been restored to its former glory. I've just read that there were plans to get rid of it in the early 1960s ... xxx

      Delete
  12. Oh my gosh, what gorgeous buildings in Antwerp - I very much enjoyed the history too, thank you, Ann! What a lovely break from the office.

    Lovely dress, and am a big fan of the dotty top in the final outfit. I'm really happy for you that your eyes are adjusting, my friend! That must have been scary!

    Have a great weekend, Ann and Jos! I'm sure you'll get your thrifting mojo back soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! And do not worry, I've got my thrifting mojo well and truly back in the meantime! xxx

      Delete
  13. I'm glad for you that your eyes now have adapted. Headaches ruïne your day right. I had glasses once for distance and close by, and was dizzy all the time. Horrible. What a lovely tour of Antwerp! Its been quite a few years since the last time I was there. And what a beautiful maxi skirt. Perfect to wear now while it's still way to cold! Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! I'd been warned it could take weeks to adjust to the new glasses, but it was an absolute nightmare! xxx

      Delete
  14. I'm sorry to hear about your eyes. I hope they improve. Your travel pictures are lovely. I always enjoy them and imagine I'm traipsing around the world when I do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ally, my eyes have gotten used to my new glasses now. We do tend to take our eyesight for granted, and I'm so sorry to read about your predicament. Thinking of you often, my friend. xxx

      Delete
  15. Thank you for taking us on a walk round Antwerp! Occasional odd planning decisions aside, it does look like a lovely city, with so much to enjoy. And your outfits are as impeccable as ever.

    Cas looks like he's having fun with his tractor. What is it with small children and tractors? My nephews love them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mim! Yes, it is a lovely city. Not as lovely as Bath, but that's just my opinion :-) xxx

      Delete
  16. Hello Ann, thank you for the gothic tour of Antwerp. 'Bacon layers' is a perfect way for describing the Butcher's Hall. You are very lucky having all this on your work's doorstep. Fab outfits & hope your eyes / glasses have settled in now xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lulu! I'm afraid that after working in the city for 30 years (and living there before that), I tend to take it all for granted ... xxx

      Delete
  17. I'd agree with other comments above and go back and have your prescription checked my Mum had a similar issue and when she went back to the opticians and had her eyes rechecked the 1st prescription turned out to be wrong which was why she was having issues. I do hope you get it sorted. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gisela! Everything is fine with my prescription. It just took some time getting used to the stronger one, plus the new frames! xxx

      Delete
  18. I'm so happy to see Antwerp's architecture, in all its finery, again.
    I didn't realise you hadn't been into the Vleeshuis in recent times. I really loved it!
    Sorry to hear your glasses have bern causing you so much grief but hope this is now resolved.
    I love your corduroy jacket outfit- it's lovely- I love the maxi skirt! Kezzie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been my pleasure, Kezzie. And guess where we've been this morning? xxx

      Delete
  19. It sounds like adjusting to varifocals had its ups and downs,but now you're enjoying clearer views and fewer headaches! Taking in the cityscape and discovering new details after all those years must have been a refreshing change.

    ReplyDelete