Monday 10 April 2023

My life through green coloured frames

By the time this post is published, my longed-for four-day Easter break is drawing to a close. Having had all that extra time off, I've got a double dose of the Sunday - in this case, Monday - blues and even the prospect of the short working week ahead is filling me with dread. No more sleep-ins, lazy breakfasts and days full of seemingly unlimited possibilities. Back to the grind and life ruled by the clock it is!


The Easter break was still dangling like a carrot in front of me on Sunday the 2nd of April. At only 2 days old, the month of April had already shown her true colours by confirming her reputation for capriciousness.

Saturday's all-day rain might have dried up by now, it was an utterly grey and miserable day. With the mercury starting out at 1°C and not climbing higher than 7°C, it was a cold one too, the day's forecasted highs only reached when some modicum of sunshine finally materialized in the late afternoon.



It would have been a total waste of a day if we hadn't had lunch with our friends Inneke and Maurice to look forward too. Nevertheless, I was feeling a bit jittery in the morning, particularly when the outfit I originally had in mind turned out to be all wrong. Both Jos and I declared the dress it was based around way too boring, so into the flea market bags it went.

Instead I reached for this fail-safe frock which ticks all the boxes for putting (a) spring in my step. Its sky blue fabric blossoming with clouds of white flowers is joined by a wide pleated skirt perfect for twirling. Its tie neck might pose a bit of a problem for a lunch date, but I tamed it with a brooch featuring a wild rose and its rose hips, picked up at the March edition of the indoor flea market.

The gold-rimmed ceramic flower brooch I pinned to my dress has the same origins. At my waist, a yellow suede belt, a bargainous buy from an outlet shop. The blue and white chevron striped yellow cardigan by the Belgian Who's That Girl label was a charity shop find.




Our restaurant of choice was once again 't Kasteeltje (transl. Little Castle) in the nearby village of Boechout. It is based in a mansion built in so-called cottage style around 1900. 

It is just one of the many country houses built in the green belt around Antwerp by wealthy townies from the late 19th century onwards, after the event of the railway. With their castle-like appearance, the number of turrets was considered a status symbol.


While the boys opted for steak and fries, the girls were once again seduced by the delicious fettuccini with marinated chicken, spinach, mushrooms and candied tomatoes in a mild curry sauce.

It was only when Inneke was taking our photo and drew our attention to it that we realized Jos and I were wearing matching outfits!



The remainder of the day was spent pottering, reading and catching up with blogland.

Typically, the weather on Monday was in total contrast to Sunday's. It was a gloriously sunny day and although officially the temperature would reach 10°C from its frosty 1° start, it actually felt a lot warmer. In sheltered sunshine, that is, as in the open and in the shade a blustery wind had no problem making itself felt.



I couldn't wait for my lunch break to arrive as I was champing at the bit to go for a walk, my intended destination being Antwerp's small but perfectly formed Botanic Garden.

The garden is only a stone's throw from my office, about a leisurely 10-minute walk at the most. However, instead of walking to its main entrance, I decided to take a slight detour. My chosen route took me past Maagdenhuis, an imposing building dating from the 16th and 17th century. Now a museum, it used to be an orphanage for girls until 1882. 

Its monumental façade dates from 1634-36, the bas-relief above the entrance gate, which you can see in the above photo, is by Cornelis-Floris de Vriendt, a sculptor and the designer of Antwerp's town hall.



I then continued, past my old college which I attended in the early 80s, and through the passage leading towards a recently opened luxury hotel. This is housed in a former convent and hospital complex called  Elzenveld, whose history goes back to the 12th century.

And look what I found in the garden next to the completely restored 15th century chapel. These two ghostly figures are clearly related to those in the sculpture museum. They're by the Antwerp-based but German-born sculptor Albert Szukalski (1945-2000), who used living people as the models for plaster figures, laying lengths of fabric soaked in plaster over their bodies and allowing them to harden. The remaining husks of pale plaster were then coated in polyester to weatherproof them. 



Onwards to the Botanic Garden itself. While I had to take the long way around, walking towards the street you can catch a glimpse of at the end of the cobbled pathway, then doubling back past the turreted house, a black cat effortlessly slithered herself through the undergrowth. Can you see her accompanying me on my walk on the top right?

The water feature with its reflective red work of art belongs to the hotel and actually trumpets its name at the other side.



As I usually enter the garden through its main entrance, I'd never laid eyes on this pretty ornamental pond before.

While the garden boasts a collection of 2000 plants there wasn't all that much in flower at the time of my visit. Apart from the Spring snowflakes (bottom left in the collage with the ghosts) and the odd flowering shrub, there were just a handful of tulips making their entrance, while most of the daffs were already on their way out.



In 2020, former city poet Peter Holvoet-Hanssen renamed it the 'Garden of Poets', a green haven that regularly forms the backdrop for poetry initiatives.  That's one of his poems set in stone on the bottom left.

Poetic or not - although there is no doubt that for numerous poets, flora and fauna continues to be an important source of inspiration - the garden is a true oasis of calm, particularly in Spring and Summer, when the luxurious planting almost makes you forget you're in the city centre, close to its main shopping thoroughfare. But then you come across a bench which leaves you in no doubt where you are!




We got two more days like these before the heavens opened again on Thursday, with the weather forecast for the Easter weekend being somewhat indecisive. 

It was supposed to be 10°C on Friday, but it didn’t feel like it at all. We counted our lucky stars that it didn't rain but it was heavily overcast for most of the day, with only one or two short-lived sunny spells.

After breakfast, we drove to the nearby town of Mortsel to pick up my new varifocals, as well as one of my old pairs which had been re-made into reading glasses.



Surely it was only a matter of time before I became the owner and wearer of a pair of green framed specs! They took some getting used to as I've not only got different frames but a stronger prescription as well.  I'm glad I could ease them in during the Easter break rather than having to use them at the office straight away, though. 

If you are interested, they are by Theo, a Belgian eyewear brand founded in 1987.



Now, let's have a look at what I was wearing that day!

Both the red and white pin-striped wool-blend skirt - one of the handful of Winter skirts still remaining in my wardrobe - and the navy blouse with its groovy pattern, were supplied by Think Twice. The green cardigan is by Lucy Has a Secret - another Belgian label - and was charity shopped a couple of years ago. As were my beloved moss green ankle boots.



I accessorized my outfit with a pink beaded necklace (charity shop), navy plastic ring (retail) and a pair of crocheted cherries (Oxfam) which I safety-pinned to my cardigan.

My stretchy belt with it multicoloured round plastic buckle was picked up from the high street while my pink painted metal dragonfly brooch was a flea market find.




We went for a quick rummage at the charity shop after lunch but you'll have to wait until my next post to see my finds, plus what we did on the Saturday. 

I can already reveal that there was a definite improvement in the weather on the horizon!

See you next time!


44 comments:

  1. I hope you have had a lovely Easter weekend! Time flies when one is having fun, doesn't it? I wish the Easter weekend could be a lot longer.

    I always liked the combination of blue and yellow. Your blue and yellow outfit is gorgeous. The blue dress is so stunning. The yellow cardi with blue details is fantastic.

    That water feature is so dreamy. You took a great photo of it, with the tree being reflected in the water. How beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! I'm a bit late with replying to comments and the Easter break does feel like a long time ago by now ... xxx

      Delete
  2. I really hope you were able to enjoy your four day break. Much deserved! It's always frustrating when you have an outfit in mind but then it doesn't seem to feel right when you go to wear it. Glad you were able to find something that was right! I just love that sky blue dress. It is stunning. The restaurant sounds fantastic! It's always nice to see friends and enjoy good food. Love the unintentional matching outfits as well! Wow, those ghostly figures that were in the garden are really interesting. I like them a lot. Ooh I just love your glasses. They look fantastic!

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon! We keep returning to that same restaurant again and again, and indeed it's always lovely to spend time with friends! xxx

      Delete
  3. Just had an epic catch up of your posts over the last two months. I don't know where to start with the comments other than to say I hope your colleague is back soon and you can have your Fridays back. I also hope this awful weather finally gets better so you can feel a bit more like getting out in your lovely garden. I do hope the 4 day break helped. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gisela! Thankfully I've got my Fridays back by now. I really did miss my 3-day weekends! xxx

      Delete
  4. Your posts are always so informative and all-encompassing. They provide a lovely insight into your life and surroundings. It's a shame we don't have more long weekends. In fact, it's a shame we have to go to work (well, I don't any more . . . )
    Bring on the sunshine - it's quite intermittent here x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice, hopefully I'll be able to retire before too long ... xxx

      Delete
  5. p.s. I love your new glasses - very swish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have some glorious buildings in Antwerp, really stunning.
    Love your Easter outfit, the below chevron cardie is grand, suits you.
    How lovely to have the Botanical Gardens within walking distance of your office.
    I hope that you felt restored after the Easter four day break. Not long until May Day, do you have another holiday then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carole! Indeed, we had another day off on the 1st of May, which is Labour Day here in Belgium, and lots of other countries! xxx

      Delete
  7. It's lovely to see you and Jos out with Inneke and Maurice. What a swanky place for lunch. I'm intrigued by the candied tomatoes.
    After a false start you're second choice of outfit was fabulous - Ukraine colours! How funny that you and Jos matched nd didn't notice.
    The Botanic garden is wonderful especially that pretty pond.
    great outfits and fabulous new glasses. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! I didn't even realize we were wearing Ukraine colours :-) xxx

      Delete
  8. Today's work wasn't too bad, I hope. Three more days only. We can do it, right? Good luck with your new glasses and an easy get-used-to-it. Have a nice evening! Regula

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Ann, well you look (& Joss) like a vision of spring in sky blue and daffodil yellow, even if the weather couldn't keep up on that day! I was very grumpy having to get up early again for work this morning. How lucky to have the Botanic Garden so close to your work. Love the picture of the water feature reflections xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can there be anything more Springlike than sky blue and daffodil yellow? It certainly put a spring in my step :-) xxx

      Delete
  10. You in sync are you two! Looking very spring like - willing the weather to follow suit!
    I immediately had to zoom in on the photos of those ghostly sculptures in the garden next to the chapel! They are sublime, as is that gorgeous ornamental pond in the Botanic Garden.
    Your new glasses are fabulous. My off the shelf reader's specs are very dull in comparison (I managed to break my good pair!)
    Loving the crocheted cheery cherries and hoping our weather, which has now taken a distinct turn for the worse, follows suit. At the moment we're back to a forecast of rain and wind. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! The weather still hasn't improved all that much I'm afraid. As I've got to wear them day-in, day-out, I wanted my new specs to be special. As I'm extremely myopic and both eyes are different, I can't use off the shelf reader's specs, so hopefully I won't break my good pair! xxx

      Delete
  11. I laughed at your and Jos' matching outfits, Ann - L and I often end up matching, even though we get dressed in different rooms!

    What a gem that garden is! I love the plaster draperies sculptures, and that lovely pond.

    Your new specs are spectacular!! The square frames really suit you. I've had 2 pairs of Theo frames (my current reddish--pink pair, and the previous aqua cat's eyes), as has L. They make the best frames, imo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! I've had two previous pairs of Theo frames and I've always loved their quirky styles! xxx

      Delete
  12. I am in love with you and Jos matching outfits. 💕 It‘s dezent. 😁. You look amazing in this blue dress with the yellow blue cardigan.It’s my favorite. It makes the weather better.😁
    with a huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! That blue dress is one of my favourites! xxx

      Delete
  13. your new glasses are chic - not only because they´r green!
    and the match your quirky outfits perfectly!!
    how lovely to have a festive lunch with friends - esp. at such a pretty historic house.......
    can you beam that neo gothic pond frame into the BWH garden please?? ;-D
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate, and I would beam it to the BWH garden if I could. It would be right at home there :-) xxx

      Delete
  14. Love the new frames! All the clothes!! Love them...and the kitty seems to like you! How cute...
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna! I'm not sure if the kitty liked me though, as it disappeared into the garden shortly after I took its picture :-) xxx

      Delete
  15. You do live in such a beautiful part of the word I shall have to visit one day. When I do I'm going to seek out that wonderful pasta dish, it sounds amazing. I love your new Bins, (as my Dad would have called them) they look great on you, as does the flower power blouse. Hope the sun is shining where you are. Jean x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean, always welcome here! It's funny though that we're always off to the UK for our holidays! xxx

      Delete
  16. I'm still stuck in the Easter basket... so nice. And I can imagine your horror - but tomorrow Thursday and then Friday again... yay :-)))
    Your red and white pinstripe wool skirt is my thing, especially with the matching green...
    A big hug from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Viola, but unfortunately I had to work on that week's Friday :-( xxx

      Delete
  17. Nice post and photos! Thanks for sharing.
    I invite you to visit my last post. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah eating with friends, always a good idea. Gerben and I have it often, that we go out and seem to wear the same colours. Your new specs are looking very good, that's a perfect colour! Next week Ann......20 degrees and sunny!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! I think it was the first time we wore matching colours :-) xxx

      Delete
  19. Totally in love with that Little Castle (delightful brick architecture in a fav style!) and glad to see you having fun with friends!. Your matching outfits put a smile on my face, that's colour therapy!.
    That blue dress is so cute and even more beautiful when enhanced by that yellow cardi, lovely ensemble!
    Love your groovy navy blouse with the fab colours and accessories. And even groovier new specs!
    Besos​

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica, and I'm glad to have given you some colour therapy and put a smile on your face! xxx

      Delete
  20. I'm glad you had a good meal with your friends and I love that you were unintentionally matching outfits, how fun! Yellow and blue is always a winning combination on anyone!

    Hope you get some warm spring weather too. I remain amazed that your spring temps are colder than our winter temps here in Brisbane, brr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica, and yes, it definitely amazes me too! xxx

      Delete
  21. Oh, what a lovely walk. That garden looks like a wonderful place to snatch a little peace in the heart of the city.

    Your new glasses are very stylish... and it's fun that you and Jos matched so well in blue and gold too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mim! It's funny that we didn't even realize we were wearing matching outfits at first! xxx

      Delete