Thursday 20 April 2023

Easter Sunday dilemma

It isn't procrastination, nor lack of subject matter which is making my blog run seriously late again.  The thing is that I've been limiting screen time these last couple of weeks. My eyes are having a hard time to adapt, not only to my new prescription lenses, which are a lot stronger than before, but to the change of frames themselves. I'm having good days and bad, the latter quite obviously mostly occurring when I'm at the office. But I'm persevering and I'm glad to report that there's been a definite improvement lately, as I've had the pleasure of enjoying a string of headache-free days this week.

So, Easter Sunday! Time having had its usual tendency to fly, it's now almost two weeks ago since Chocolate Fest. The last of the buy 600 grams, get 300 grams free mini eggs from our local chocolatier, Leonidas, have been consumed. The Easter bunny has hopped away into the sunset for another year.



We woke up to glorious weather with the sun streaming in through our windows, so that wild horses couldn't have kept us inside. The forecasted highs of 16°C made us all giddy, but posed a dilemma at the same time.

Shall we do some long-overdue gardening, or go for a walk? Weighing up the pros and cons, we decided on the former. I still needed the pot up those patiently waiting plants purchased at the garden centre the other week, for starters.

I quickly got dressed in my gardening gear - old cord skirt and jumper plus purple striped Pippi Longstocking knee-high socks worn over an ancient pair of tights - and put on my charity shopped ankle wellies. But oh, those gardening gloves definitely have seen better days ...



In spite of my efforts to protect them from the worst of the frosts, last year's trailing geraniums hadn't survived. The green enamelled cones - which quite possibly once started life as lampshades - they used to live in now being vacant, I planted them up with tête-à-tête daffs. Aren't they a cheerful sight? The flowers started opening one by one in only a matter of days, so they clearly they are enjoying their new homes.


I also did some random pruning and clearing up wherever it was needed most, while Jos made a start with cutting back the rampant ivy.

The back of the garden a.k.a. the courtyard is still a mess of hastily moved pots and ornaments, as well as bags of compost from our bin, the latter unfortunately mixed with building rubble as a result of the wall saga and our neighbour's ignorance.

I was rummaging around to see what could be salvaged when I came across the remains of a terracotta pot in which a Toad Lily (Tricyrtis hirta) was doing its best to keep its head above water. I transferred the poor plant to another pot, added a stone toadstool dug up from the garden during Lockdown and a tiny plastic gnome which was mixed in with our Christmas decorations, et voilà!  Now let's pretend that  non-ribbiting frog is a toad!



Elsewhere in the garden, signs of Spring are definitely in evidence. Our Spirea bush is flowering as never before, white Muscari are popping up among the more common blue, and there are plenty of flower buds in the Red Valerian (Centranthus ruber). Oh, and the Honesty on the top right had the audacity of growing through the slats in our bench. We gently teased it out to give it - and us - some room!

All that hard work and fresh air had made us hungry, so Jos made us omelettes for lunch, mopped up with thick slices of bread and washed down with a refreshing glass of non-alcoholic beer.





Then, after getting dressed in my proper outfit of the day, we decided go for that walk after all. We didn't stray too far from home though, opting for Fort 5 in the neighbouring village of Edegem. It is one of a string of old forts around the city of Antwerp dating from the 1860s, most of which have been converted into nature reserves and recreation spaces.

Apparently, we weren't the only ones making the most of the balmy Spring weather, so we soon veered away from the narrow path skirting the moat and the children's playground near the entrance. The path we selected took us past the War Memorial (top left), unveiled in 1926 and commemorating 16 resistance fighters which were executed at the fort during the First World War. 

Continuing our walk, we soon came across part of old fort itself: a long row of low brick and sandstone buildings, in various stages of dereliction.



Browsing my previous blog posts on our walks here - the last one incredibly as long ago as October 2021 - revealed that this wasn't the first time we selected this particularly appealing peeling blue door as a backdrop for outfit photos. This time, however, I was wearing matching blues!


And what better backdrop for my red skirt's first outing? Picked up for a pittance at Think Twice back in March, I fell head over heels for its pattern of blowsy indigo and white flowers. 

The white, red and blue spotty blouse by the Belgian Wow To Go label was a charity shop find, as was the blue beaded necklace. 

My brooch, with its leaping stag on a shimmery blue background, is a bit of an oddity. A flea market find back in January 2020, it is actually made of butterfly wings! This kind of jewellery, usually made from the South American Morpho butterfly, was popular from the Art Deco period up to the 1960s.

The final components of my outfit, a blue belt and ring, were both retail buys.



Walking through the gate on the top right and along the echoing and faintly eerie passage on the bottom left takes you inside some of the atmospheric, time-forgotten and heavily graffitied buildings.

The passage ends at a padlocked gate, the gap between its slats offering a glimpse into a spooky, pitch-black, musty smelling interior. 




The fort bridges the moat here, its paneless windows looking out on moss and algae encrusted brick walls. The odd window is still holding on to its weathered wooden frames or shutters, but surely it's only a matter of time before time and tide - not to mention wet rot - dispenses with them completely.

The cobwebbed old light switch was still in working order ... if only it had had a light bulb to feed! 



Twigs and leaves carelessly abandoned by nature have been swept inside by the wind, joining the population of dust bunnies who have taken up residence here in these rooms decked out with bunting of ancient blackened cobwebs.


The narrow winding path along the moat takes you through a long, low tunnel (above, bottom right) to the inner sanctum of the fort, and out again at the other end. Mind your head if you're tall, as even vertically challenged yours truly did have to duck her head at one point.



Here's a view of the spot where the fort bridges the moat. There's the exit of the tunnel on the right, while the arched doorway in the middle is where the passage we entered the fort through ends. Opposite this is the spooky, padlocked and graffitied gate I posed against.



Our itinerary then took us along the moat, where the single track path was a bit of a logical problem on this busiest of days. We nevertheless enjoyed the antics of the local population of water birds and turtles, none of which were prepared to pose for a photo.



All traces of Sunday's sunshine had gone by Monday, which was quite a disappointment. The mercury still climbed to 16°C but without the warmth of the sun it felt quite a bit cooler.

There was nothing for it but to give one of my long-sleeved Diolen Delights another run for its money. This one never fails to cheer me up, with its pattern which is a mixture of huge yellow hued flowers and two borders of sea shells near the hemline.



More yellow was added with a long-line cardigan, opaques and a necklace, while I opted for a contrasting caramel mock croc belt at my waist. The blue of the dress was repeated in the iridescent blue and emerald green peacock feather brooch. 


It might have been a grey and cloudy day, but at least the weather gods had the decency of waiting until mid-afternoon to send more rain our way.

We made the most of the dry spell by ticking another couple of gardening chores off our list. While I cut back the strawberry in its hanging bucket (the red blob in the photo below), Jos tackled some more of the ivy, and unearthed the parking meter from the clutter in the courtyard. A gift from a late friend of Jos's, it spent its working life on the streets of Antwerp in the late 1950s, early 1960s, when 5 Belgian Francs (the equivalent of about € 0,12) paid for 30 minutes' parking. It's going to be a feature in the passageway.

Talking of which, we're in the process of clearing the border in front of the compost bin (see above, top left) and plant it up with some shade-loving perennials. Watch this space!




I'm leaving you for now with this view from the back of the garden towards our house and the passageway, framed by the exuberantly flowering, but oh so transient, Spirea bush!

See you next time!



46 comments:

  1. New specs can be such a pain getting adjusted to. I go for my annual exam next week and am dreading the expected increase in lens power. I hope the headaches go completely, and soon.
    The garden is looking great. I do love spirea and yours is glorious.
    Beautiful outfits, particularly the yellow and blue which always seems so perfectly springlike to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It took me a full three weeks to adjust to my new specs, which was a bit of a nightmare to be honest. I hope it all went smoothly for you! xxx

      Delete
  2. Prolonged screen time can contribute to headache even without the additional stress of eye adjustment to new frames or contacts. So, it is good to reduce it.
    Your garden is utterly gorgeous! Perfect way to rest the eyes, I'm sure.
    You look beautiful in the blue and red combo!
    I love the dress with yelloe flower print too. Very chic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! Unfortunately, I could only limit screen time when at home, as I'm working on my PC for most of the day at the office ... xxx

      Delete
  3. Love your beautiful white plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carole, it's a shame the flowers do not last, as for most of the year it isn't much to look at! xxx

      Delete
  4. It definitely makes sense to limit screen time. Adjusting to new glasses can be a real task. (I wear contacts most of the time but needed to wear my glasses the other day and was totally discombobulated!) I'm so glad you haven't heard headaches this week.

    All of the flowers are so beautiful. So colourful and full of life! And omelets sounds like a fantastic lunch after all of that hard work outside. I'm amazed that you still had energy for a walk! I need to live by your example and get outside more. That brooch you wore is phenomenal. Wow. What a great piece! You always visit the most extraordinary places - and look stylish while doing it!

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know from experience that switching from contacts to glasses can be quite discombobulating!
      Making the effort to go for a walk is well worth it as it's so energizing! xxx

      Delete
  5. Well done for getting the garden sorted! Our trailing geraniums didn't survive winter, we'd had them years, I was most put out! Your space is looking fantastic, so many quirky bits to look at.
    Edegem looks so atmospheric and your cheery outfit is in brilliant contrast.
    Love the print on your Diolen dress! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's still so much work to do in the garden but we're getting there! Our trailing geraniums didn't survive winter either, none of them did! xxx

      Delete
  6. So many things to admire and wonder at.
    I had forgotten about jewellery made with butterfly wings - what delicate work.
    Your lovely outfit made the graffiti seem less harsh and I love the yellow with the Diolen.
    We had a spiraea once - Bridal wreath. I think yours may be the same. Looks wonderful! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice! I'd never heard of this kind of jewellery before until I came across that brooch at the flea market. Very delicate indeed, but also a bit sad, I think! xxx

      Delete
  7. Ik kan me goed voorstellen dat de ogen moeten wennen aan nieuwe corrigerende lenzen... en ja, de blog moet leuk zijn - geen last - ik overweeg om in de zomer een kleine pauze te nemen om van de natuur te genieten :-))) de het belangrijkste is dat man /vrouw terugkomt :-))
    Leuke outfit bij het fort... Ik hou van kleurrijk en met een patroon.
    En ja, de tuin komt eraan... de beste wensen van Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoe leuk is jouw commentaar in het Nederlands, Viola! De blog is zeker geen last, maar er zijn nog zo veel andere leuke dingen in het leven. Een kleine pauze in de zomer is zeker geen slecht idee! xxx

      Delete
  8. I Love your outfit!! SO pretty...
    How sad that people think they need to destroy historical places with graffiti...
    I love the parking meter! What a fun gift...
    Happy weekend!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna! I know, and the graffiti seems to be worse every time we go there. And littering too. So sad! xxx

      Delete
  9. Your garden is looking so pretty and I love your Easter outfits, particularly that gorgeous sky blue scarf!
    We've also had winter losses in the garden, including a purple Euphorbia and a Hydrangea. It's a little soul destroying. I've decided to focus instead on splashes of summer colour in pots on our patio.
    I love the old parking meter. That will make a fabulous feature! xxx
    P.S. I enjoyed joining you on your walk. Fancy that old cobweb covered light switch still being in working order!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! It's always sad to lose plants over winter, isn't it? We lost our magnificent pink Lupine, it seems. We've had that parking meter for a while, but I think it has now found its final place in the passageway! xxx

      Delete
  10. sooo good that you could start with making your garden pretty again! the spirea bush looks glorious!
    we made big progress since easter - we have thrown compost through the sieve for days - but now there is a ton of wonderful soil for free - and we could get our hands on another 1000l rainwater tank - yay!
    that old fort is so cool - great photo location!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, a ton of wonderful soil is a fantastic result!
      We love the old fort, which we don't visit often enough. Always makes me feel closer to my Dad! xxx

      Delete
  11. The Spirea looks lovely. I bought some last year but I don't think it's made an appearance and may have even been killed by the frosts. We need to get out in the garden and blitz it but the weather and time constraints have been holding us back...your garden will look wonderful as it always does.

    The fort looks like an interesting place to visit and I loved the photo of you against the old blue door.

    I loved both your outfits; the patterned skirt and blouse were my favourite though!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're so behind with our garden, mainly because of the weather. I'm only showing you the nice bits, as always :-) xxx

      Delete
  12. What a great location for pictures. Lost places are very trendy. 😁 This year it was so cold and grey weather, that our garden is still without new plants.
    Many greetings from Port-El-Kantaoui, Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina, I always loved lost places! xxx

      Delete
  13. Cracking pictures as always. Thank you for taking us on your walk I love to see where you go. Oh and i love the green cones they're super nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean! It was love at first sight when I spotted the green cones in a vintage shop many years ago. Not sure what their original purpose was, but I thought they'd make nice planters, which they do! xxx

      Delete
  14. Haha, a parking meter in the garden! Fantastic! And what a beautiful one. At first I thought it was a bubblegum thing. I can enjoy the garden so much this time of the year, the smell of all that's blooming. All the birds making such a noise. The best season of the year. Love your walk, very interesting. And your gorgeous dress! Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it's the best season in the year, when the weather is on its best behaviour! xxx

      Delete
  15. The neighbouring house is very close, but what a lovely place to sit and have a cup of tea. Hopefully, the perennials will get enough light to grow.

    I'm doing some gardening today as well, but I'm taking it slowly with lots of breaks. Nobody wants a sore back in spring. Unfortunately, today is the only bright day to tackle some chores outside ...

    Have a lovely weekend!

    Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, houses are quite close together here ... unless one has enough money ;-) xxx

      Delete
  16. Sorry to hear that the Glasses are causing you issues. I struggle with spending too mcuh time at the screen in recent times. Leonidas mini eggs-mmmm. I really didn't do well with stocking up on Belgian chocolate when I was in Bruges. I love those orange candied peel strips covered in darkchocolate and I only got a few...should have got more! Leonidas is such a lovely brand!
    I am loving your outfits- colours are gorgeous, especially the black and yellow one!
    The Parking meter is brilliant! I remember the old parking metres in Ilford town centre! I'd completely forgotten about them until you mentioned it!
    Well done on the gardening. The Spirea looks so pretty! Such abudant flowers!
    I love the interesting places you walk and this one was a corker!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kezzie! I've gotten used to the glasses by now, but it did take the better part of 3 weeks! Mmm yes, those chocolate covered candied orange peel thingies are very moreish! xxx

      Delete
  17. Good to hear you are now headache free. You garden is blooming marvelously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hena, it's a relief that those headaches are gone! xxx

      Delete
  18. Aw bless you. As a fellow glasses wearer and headache sufferer, I really feel for you. I hope the new glasses are settling down. That red skirt is fabulous but the fort is quite eerie, isn’t it.? I’d like to explore but think my imagination would get carried away. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise, all seems to be going well now, which is quite a relief! xxx

      Delete
  19. I'm glad your headaches are easing, Ann. That sucks that your new prescription seems like it might be TOO strong!

    Your garden is so lovely - I remember watching you dig it out during the pandemic (which seems so long ago!). I'm glad you got to have some warm weather to give it a good go-through. Your walking destination is amazing - so many decrepit buildings!

    Your last dress is my favourite - what a gorgeous pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! My new prescription isn't too strong, but I'm both myopic and presbyopic, and the difference between the two is huge, which is why my eyes are having problems adjusting. I doesn't seem uncommon to take between 2 and 3 weeks to adjust, so I wasn't overly worried. It still was a pain in the you know what, though! xxx

      Delete
  20. Sorry to hear about your headaches, hope you'll adapt to that new prescription soon!.
    Looking so fabulous in your red skirt and groovy top, and lovely background too (love an old door).
    Also lovely mustard & blues combo, that cheerful dress and cardi are fab!.
    Lovely to see your garden blooming!
    Besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! All seems to be fine now, but it really was a pain getting used to them! xxx

      Delete
  21. The flowers in your garden are lovely - a welcome sign of spring. (That little frog is really cute.)

    I hope you're getting used to your glasses; I have varifocals too and was warned they'd take some getting used to but I never got headaches. Might be worth going back to the optician if it continues, it sounds very unpleasant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mim! All has settled down by now, I was told to expect a 2-3 week adjustment period as my prescription got quite a bit stronger. xxx

      Delete
  22. Ingenious idea to have a parking meter in your garden. I hope it collects some passing revenue ;) Though tea drinkers should be weary of staying past their allocated time perhaps? Your garden is looking super lovely Ann. Isn't that Spirea bush divine! The fort looks a spooky and interesting place. You are a lovely vision in blue and yellow xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lulu! The thing is the meter only works with Belgian francs, which have become obsolete. Not much revenue, I'm afraid :-) xxx

      Delete
  23. How lovely to finaly be able to get out an potter in the garden! I love the blue and yellow floral dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gisela! I wish Spring would hurry up though, as I'd like to potter in the garden some more! xxx

      Delete