Sunday 30 April 2023

Once more fooled by April

We were in for a bit of a letdown on Sunday the 16th of April. All week long, the weathermen had kept promising a sunny weekend, but when push came to shove we had to content ourselves with a half-day of sunshine on Saturday. By Saturday evening our phone's weather app spoke of grey skies and showers again, which made us regret not having gone for a walk and having just whittled away the time not doing very much at all instead. Serves us right for turning a blind eye to the weather's general fickleness which makes forecasting it such a balancing act.

But they got it right this time, as the gloomy morning we'd woken up to soon turned into a wet one, the rain pitter-pattering against our windows and creating puddles on our garden path. Thankfully, the rainclouds soon departed elsewhere, but the sun was no match for the thick blanket of grey they left behind in their wake.




Still, determined not to be beaten by the ongoing unspringlike weather, we decided to go ahead with our intended walk, picking a destination which wasn't too far from home. After tossing around a couple of possible contenders, we settled for Solhof, the municipal park in the neighbouring village of Aartselaar.

Laid out in English landscape style, the park is part of the  former pleasure grounds of an old castle estate whose history goes back to the 15th century. 



Apart from two watchtowers on either side of the entrance, dating from around 1550, one of which you can catch a fairy-tale like glimpse of in the first collage, there's nothing left of the original castle. In its place, there's a neoclassical, late 19th century mansion, now much much modernized and turned into a hotel. 

Apart from the rather neglected parks's natural delights, there's the quirky knoll with gazebo (above, top left), which is built on top of an ice house. Reminiscent of Sleeping Beauty's castle, it is half-hidden, not behind a thicket of thorns, but behind an insulating layer of yew. Although there isn't much of a view up there - depending on the season, one can just make out the ugly white hotel in the background - we can never resist climbing the knoll's narrow winding path to the gazebo with its gnarled, graffitied pillars.



At first glance, the park didn't look all that much different from our last visit back in November, the lawns and pathways still strewn with a crunchy layer of dried Autumn leaves and the majority of the trees still awaiting their Spring finery. The mind-numbing whitish grey sky and the temperature which barely reached double figures made it hard to imagine it was actually a Sunday in April rather than an Autumn one.



Fortunately, signs of Spring were all around, in the bright, chartreuse clad branches of the weeping willow meeting its reflection in the pond, the clusters of golden-yellow Mahonia flowers, and the hundreds of delicate white bells adorning the Pieris japonica shrubs. It isn't all that hard to see why one of the latter's common names is lily-of-the-valley bush!



Here's the outfit which was hidden underneath my cream, tan and light blue Winter coat.

My blue dress with its pattern of cow parsley and daisies is vintage, from the Finnish Karelia label, and was found at Think Twice in September 2020. Both the necklace and the resin ring encasing some kind of dried flowers were found on the high street. The latter is being shown to you by the wooden hand model I was seduced into buying when we went to IKEA.



The multicoloured slubbed longline cardigan is by the Danish ONLY label and was charity shopped a couple of years ago. At my waist, an old tan leather belt from my collection, while the brooch I pinned to my dress was picked up from the indoor flea market last year.

Typically, we were treated to a handful of sunny days during the working week that followed, even if courtesy of the wind the chill factor belied the 13-15°C shown on the thermometer in full sunshine.

Clearing my head and giving my eyes a rest from the screen is a necessity half-way through the day, so I walked to the Botanic Garden both on Tuesday and Wednesday.




I was delighted by the sight of the host of yellow daffodils in front of my old school building which backs the garden, and was snapping away happily, entering the garden proper, when I was promptly shooed away by a film crew who were about to call "Action!".

I scurried away on the path leading into the direction of the luxury hotel, but was halted in my track by the abandoned wheelbarrow and the rake missing several of its teeth. I decided they were worth a photo or two and had just done the deed when, out of the corner of my eye I noticed a guy waving frantically at me from the path leading paralell to mine. Apparently, I was persona non grata here as well, so I reluctantly carried on walking away from the scene.

Strangely enough, both the wheelbarrow and the rake were still in exactly the same position when I returned the next day. Were they abandoned film props, perhaps, or does the city Antwerp employ negligent gardeners? 



In a newspaper article this past week I read that plans to revamp the Botanic Garden are afoot. Nothing major, mind you, as the garden has been protected as cultural-historical landscape since 1950 and both the garden and its buildings have received architectural heritage status three years ago. I had to laugh when the article mentioned some of the noticeboards would be replaced as well, as it instantly put me in mind of the rather pointless noticeboard I photographed in the prairie garden near my old school (above, top centre).




On the day when I was exiled by the film crew, my feet took me to the site of the luxury hotel, which also contains several fine dining restaurants, three of which have recently been awarded Guide Michelin stars. Nobody batted an eyelid when I walked through the gateway into a courtyard which contains the herb garden belonging to one of the posh restaurants, but I was given the side-eye by a guy, possibly a waiter, when I was on my way out.



Walking past the chapel and its ghosts, I finally made my way back to the street, where I snapped the two towers of the neo-Gothic St. Joriskerk (St. George's church). I had to look up its name, as it's known to us as the soup church. Jos, who often stayed with his older brother who lived nearby when he was a young boy, remembers the aroma of soup always lingering here.



Friday was another half-day for me, on which I took the tram to Mortsel, where Jos picked me up.

Apart from the Bohemian beaded brooch, all of my outfit's elements were recently worn in other constellations. My blouse from the Belgian Wow To Go label was bought in an Outlet shop in the Autumn, the belt a recently charity shop find, and the skirt charity shopped last Summer.


This time, Jos had no problem persuading me to go charity shopping, so here are the results of the good old rummage I had in the shop in Mortsel.

The zebra-esque pattern of this lightweight bracelet sleeve length shirt-waist dress made it a no-brainer ...


... as did this faux-wrap dress with its pattern of green squirrels!



This flouncy, tiered C&A skirt landed in my basket as well.



There was no way I could resist this pair of green floral Ballerinas, for which I gladly paid € 5.

Looking up the brand, Andrea Montelpare, at home, I was gobsmacked when I learned they are a luxury children's footwear label, and that they would have retailed at around € 150. The perks of having small feet!


My final find was this miniature booklet on architecture, dating from 1964.

I photographed it next to the shoes so that you can see how tiny it actually is. Even my Size 4s are gigantic compared to it!




So, that was it for now. I'll be back with more April adventures soon, hopefully with a significant improvement in the weather!



38 comments:

  1. That was a lovely read, Ann. You live in a lovely part of the world, obviously crammed full of wonderful charity shops;-) I love your brooches. I never - or rarely- wear them, but I do appreciate brooches. Let's hope May is kinder than April has been x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice! I know, where are rather blessed with well-stocked charity shops! I do collect brooches, and wear one every day! xxx

      Delete
  2. The Botanic Garden looks like a great place to visit. Very photogenic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nikki, it's the perfect place to while away a sunny lunch break! xxx

      Delete
  3. Those shoes are so pretty.
    Our weather has been a bit depressing as well all rain and clouds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hena! We've just had two sunny days in a row, it's a miracle :-) xxx

      Delete
  4. I try not to focus on the weather too much ... The first of May another rainy day ... Let's hope this isn't a forcast for the whole month.

    The flowery shoes are so lovely! What a find.

    xxx Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing my best not to do that either, but one gets tired of all the rain! xxx

      Delete
  5. How rude of the film crew to interrupt your walk around the beautiful Botanic Garden! Please let us know if the mysterious wheelbarrow appears in any TV / films. Isn't the squirrel print good fun. Pretty shoes xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, very rude indeed, and not even offering me a walk-on part to boot! xxx

      Delete
  6. they don´t wanted you as an extra? ts!
    an overhaul of the botanical garden seems very in need looking at that sad info board......
    thankfully the spring this year is really springlike - with lots of rain to feed all the plants in parks, gardens and forests! hooray for wet aprils :-D
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't, isn't that a shame? I was all prepared to wheel around that wheelbarrow if required :-) xxx

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you've been getting into trouble on your lovely walks. But now the weather is improving I look forward to 'coming with you' on another stroll soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be taking you along on another stroll soon Jean! xxx

      Delete
  8. I love all your clothing choices; especially the blue dress! Pretty! I also like your husband's jacket and hat!
    Happy week!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna, and Jos, my husband, is really chuffed with your comment :-) xxx

      Delete
  9. I love your charity shop finds. The squirrel dress is my fave.
    Such lovely buildings and gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carole, I definitely couldn't resist that squirrel dress! xxx

      Delete
  10. It is so frustrating when the weather doesn't cooperate. I'm glad you got at least a half day of sunshine on the weekend! It's impressive that you went out for a walk despite the weather. The park is so beautiful. I just love all of the pictures you shared. Also, that multi-coloured cardigan is so gorgeous. I love it! And that blue printed blouse...wow. I just adore your style. You found some incredible items...like that tiny little book! How neat!

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon, and you're right, we should be glad to have at least half a day of sunshine ... it's definitely better than nothing! xxx

      Delete
  11. How exciting to have stumbled across a film crew. Pity you were encouraged to move on - surely they could have found you a role as an extra!
    Love the tree reflection photo from your walk and thank you for the second glimpse of those beautiful ghosts!
    The zebra inspired dress is very funky and the squirrel print is so cute!
    There are some very indulgent parents out there - 150 Euros for children's shoes? That way madness lies! You did well with those - they're lovely. Funnily enough, I have recently purchased a pair of gold ballet pumps. Great minds eh? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire, and I was very disappointed not to be offered a role as an extra. After, I've got experience! I had a role as an extra in a police film back in the 80s. But I'll tell you all about it some time :-) xxx

      Delete
  12. Jon and I inadvertently wandered through Steven "Peaky Blinders" Knight's film shoot a few weeks ago, he's filming his latest BBC drama in Walsall. Verty exciting.
    The weather's been equally rubbish here, the worst April in 70 years. It's hard to muster up much enthusiasm for exploring when it's so cold and wet so you've done remarkably well. Your photos are lovely.
    Fab pattern mixed outfit and some glorious patterns on your new finds. Those pumps are very sweet! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting! I hope they'll use the footage! xxx

      Delete
  13. It's fabulous you can walk to the Botanic Gardens but it seems you chose the wrong day! They do look lovely and I really enjoyed the ghost sculptures...

    Loved the outfits; especially the one with the skirt. And didn't you do well in the charity shops? The shirt dress looks very elegant, loved the green squirrel motifs; the tiered skirt and those pretty ballet pumps.

    I do hope your weather has livened up a bit and become more summer like. We've just had 2 lovely days but today its back to grey and chilly.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can go back there any day ... as long as it doesn't rain :-) We've just had two sunny says, I'm sure it won't last! xxx

      Delete
  14. This floral Ballerinas are realy cute. 😁 Spring is comming, I hope. 😉
    With a huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! I do hope we get some Spring days before Summer rolls along ... xxx

      Delete
  15. What a deal on those ballet flats, Ann! I love the zebra dress and the squirrel wrap as well. Your plaid skirt is marvelous and goes so well with that lovely belt.

    I so enjoy your pictures, and the gloomy weather is very much like what we get here, so much that it's not an unusual thing for me when I see your pics, but very homey and comforting (I actually like the rain and damp).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! I don't mind the rain and damp either, if it is balanced out by some dry and sunny weather! xxx

      Delete
  16. The weather has been rather frustrating recently! In Northumberland at the weekend, there was rain on and off (and on!) all weekend!
    Your outfits are so joyful and happy!
    I enjoyed seeing the Botanical gardens again! They are beautiful. Mystery about that rake. I wonder what they filmed?
    The ghosts are pretty cool!
    Loved seeing the sights of your walk too. Kezzie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've just had a couple of warm and sunny days, surely it cannot last :-) I do wonder if I'll ever find out what they were filming ... xxx

      Delete
  17. Isn't this weather awful? I can't believe we are almost a week into May and I'm still wearing my big coats, hats and even scarves because the temperatures are so cold. It's making me sad. I love your winter coat, and those ghost sculptures in the garden. It looks like your charity shopping paid off with those fab shoes, and that zebra print dress is gorgeous. I hope you have a nice weekend, and the weather decides to brighten up soon, for all of us. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's just horrible, isn't it? I'm still wearing ankle boots most of the time, and haven't put away my scarves either ... xxx

      Delete
  18. I would have asked you to take part of it!! Our holiday starts now, two weeks, gosh I do hope the sun will shine sometimes. We are going to cycle and sail this weekend with friends..... please let it be dry. You found some great pens again there. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a shame that they didn't? They've missed their chance :-) Hope you had some nice weather for your cycling and sailing weekend! xxx

      Delete
  19. Always lovely to see such beautiful parks (English style landscapes!) and also lovely Botanic Gardens (with that mistery about the filming and the abandoned rake!).
    So amazing that you're having such rainy weather meanwhile we had the hottest and driest April ever (30ºC some days!). Everybody is praying for rain here!.
    Love your daisies print dress with that tweed-like cardi and the wood beads!. And also love your plaid skirt, so versatile and delightful!
    I'm admiring your finds at charities!, the squirrells pattern is so cool!, and those ballerinas and the book are really cute!.
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we could do a deal and send you some cooler temperatures and rain and get some of your sunshine in return. Meanwhile, I'm still intrigued about the abandoned rake! xxx

      Delete