Saturday 7 November 2020

Second time around

So, lockdown 2.0 is upon us, but surprisingly life still goes on regardless, with hardly any changes in our routine. I'm still going into work two days a week - as safe as can be as I'm still on my own in the office - while my five days at home aren't nearly as restrictive as they were back in Spring. 

We are allowed to move around freely. We can drive anywhere we like and go for walks and outings. And while only non-essential shops are open, this time these include bookshops, garden centres, DIY stores, haberdashery shops and shops selling hygiene and personal care products.

Not being social butterflies at the best of times, we aren't too bothered about not seeing people, although I would have liked to be there in person for my friend Inneke, who sadly lost her Dad last Sunday.

The only thing we have to scrap are our weekly wee charity shop trawls, but I'm sure we'll survive. Especially since our last trip, on Friday 23 October, was hugely successful!



With unseasonal highs of 18° Celsius, and intermittent sunshine throughout the day, it was the perfect opportunity for wearing this long-sleeved but lightweight frock. 

A Think Twice sales bargain from last Autumn, I was so bowled over by its jungly flower and foliage print that I only noticed its precarious condition after I brought it home. Not only did it need its zipper reattached, there was a plethora of split seams which needed to be redone, as its previous owner had made an attempt to repair them using unsightly and unfortunately very visible darning wool.

As a result, it languished in my mending pile until a morning's worth of sewing back in January finally put it right.



I made use of both the chartreuse and cobalt blue in the dress's print for my opaques, cardigan, belt and ring, while I added more foliage in the form of my Autumn leaf brooch and my filigree leaf necklace. 

On my feet, a pair of moss green wedge-heeled ankle boots, a charity shop find, as were the cardigan, belt, brooch and necklace.



That particular Friday, we visited two of our favourite and safe shops and struck gold at both. 

Here's a little taster of some - but not all - of the stuff I found. We'll be having a more detailed look in a minute, although I did forget to photograph the blue woolly thing peeking out from the bottom of the pile. This is a another fluffy cardigan for my growing collection.


First up are two skirts, both unlabelled and in a soft and stretchy jersey material. 

The top one reaches just below the knee, is fully lined and its zig-zaggy print features leaves and tiny squares in bottle green, ochre and reddish brown.

The second skirt, which has a floral print in pink, orange, purple and blue on grey, is calf-length and high waisted, but sadly unlined and thus requiring the wearing of a half-slip.




I broke my self-imposed rule of No More Coats or Jackets when I laid eyes upon this super soft biscuit coloured cord jacket. It's from the Belgian Xandres label and, even if I wasn't able to find the exact style on their website, their blazers do seem to retail at around € 250. I paid € 8 for mine, which I'm sure you'll agree is a steal.


The annual Day of the Charity Shops had taken place the week before but, obviously, we weren't keen on joining the unavoidable crowds these events attract, even if the necessary precautions had been taken to make it as Corona-proof as possible.

Judging from the tables of leftover vintage, including the inevitable orange housewares and nondescript dinner services, we hadn't missed out on much, but I was more than happy to unexpectedly find two vintage gems on the clothing rails. It goes without saying that this fabulous Diolen skirt and funky short-sleeved dress had to come home with me!



With its retro-inspired geometrical print, this shirt dress could have been vintage, but isn't. It's by Nathalie Vleeschouwer, a Belgian designer who started her eponymous clothing line back in 2011. The dress, which looks almost unworn, was just € 6, while its retail price must have been around € 200. I'm thinking of styling it with a long-sleeved top and opaques, so watch this space!




The second shop we visited has come up trumps on the footwear front quite a few times before. 

Again, the slightly slouchy, tall blue boots look largely unworn, while the ankle boots only show very little wear. I actually gasped upon spying the elusive burgundy ankle boots I had been looking for in vain for many years. This pair had the addition of buckles and a turquoise trim. Be still my heart! I hardly dared picking them up, fully expecting them not to be my size, but oh miracle of miracles, they were! They are Fly London, which was another pleasant surprise. 

Both pairs were priced at a very bargainous € 4.



Fast forward to Saturday, 24 October, and here I am, wearing Friday's final find. This crocheted 1970s style jumper was definitely love at first sight. Initially I presumed it was handmade, until I discovered a label from the German S. Oliver brand inside.

The label's washing instructions claimed it should be washed by hand, so I put it in a sink full of soapy water minutes after we came home and hung it up to dry overnight. Once it was dry, I decided to wear it immediately, paired with the denim skirt - another holy grail - I found a couple of weeks back.



I'm sure I wore a similar outfit as a teen back in the 1970s, so this was a veritable trip down memory lane. However, I'm equally sure my footwear wasn't anything near as funky back then!

I picked up the necklace in Oxfam on the same day as the skirt, while the bird brooch was an old flea market find. Remember flea markets? I really miss the indoor ones which would have been in full swing by now ...



As you can see, I've been a good girl and filled three more bags for charity as I continued with the seemingly never-ending wardrobe changeover.

This episode included folding away the Spring and Summer skirts in favour of the Autumn and Winter ones. That only leaves the heavy woollen skirts, which will only see the light of day when the temperatures drop to freezing point. 



Until then, the garden is still walking a fine line between Summer and Autumn. 

The Virginia Creeper covering the shed is slowly but surely changing colour, its tired leaves starting to drop and carpet the ground, the gaps they leave offering a view of blue berries suspended from reddish stalks.

All our annual Geraniums are still producing flowers and even the pink pot of pinks, which we bought on our very first trip to the garden centre back in April, is still refusing to give in to the inevitable.

Our day ended in front of the telly, watching the first episode of Season 7 of Endeavour on DVD. Ending with the quintessential Morse theme, it always makes me a little teary-eyed, as we had the soundtrack on repeat during our holiday in Oxfordshire back in 2006, conjuring up a sun drenched Oxford and a legendary walk along the River Thames on which we got lost before we even started.



Sunday, 25 October was a grey and dismal day, made worse by the fact that overnight we had changed to the dreaded Winter Time (I refuse to use the ridiculous Daylight Saving term) so that it now started to get dark well before dinner time. The only advantage was that I did get to sleep just that little bit longer.

After boiled eggs and soldiers for breakfast, I dug out the rest of my long-sleeved dresses, leaving only a bag of things I’m not sure I'll be keeping and a bag of the very warmest frocks.

My journal says I caught up with blogland and fiddled around with collages for my next post.



Only a tried and tested favourite would do on a day like this so out came what Sheila would be calling a jammy dress. 

I'm sure it won't come as a surprise that this blue and white diagonally striped Diolen Delight came from Think Twice. It's been with me for eons and has been on the blog several times, making its debut in April 2016 when my blog was barely one month old.


Unlike four and a half years ago, I did not use red as an accent colour, although I do think those red boots are long overdue an outing. 

Instead, I opted for a chocolate brown moc croc belt, a long beaded necklace in blue, green and brown,  a green plastic ring and ditto brooch to reign in the dress's decolletage. Oh, and I wore blue opaques instead of nylons!

We were able to hop out into the garden for outfit photos just in time before it got too dark!

I will be wrapping up the final days of October in my next post. About time, I should think!
In the meantime, lockdown or not, do stay safe, sane and fabulous!


46 comments:

  1. Blue boots!!! That's my holy grail. They're beautiful (so are the ankle boots). You found wonderful items to hold you over until the shops open again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Goody, and yes, I guess blue boots are quite a rarity! xxx

      Delete
  2. I love the both pairs of boots and the jacket. What a find! :-) I'm not a social butterfly, don't go into town anymore and would prefere not to go to school. The world as we knew it is OVER. All the best to you and Josh! Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regula! I only go into town to go to work two days a week, but there aren't too many people about now that most shops are closed. I can understand you would prefer not to go to school ... xxx

      Delete
  3. the two "op art" dresses are fabulouse!
    and boots galore again!
    if its crocheted then it is handmade - there is no machine on earth to do crochet. so imagine some underpaid manual workers somerwhere in asia mass-producing crochet items..... the good thing is: you give the sweater a 2. life.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate, and I'm hearing you on the crocheting! xxx

      Delete
  4. It sounds like Lockdown 2.0 is quite bearable what with freedom to move and access to garden centres and bookshops.
    I'm so sorry to hear about Inneke's dad, it's horrible not to be able to comfort her.
    Love the chartreuse cardi with the zingy dress and what a wonderful score with the boots, your burgundy boot prayers were heard by the charity shopping goddess! Loving the cord blazer, too. The crochet jumper looks fantastic with the denim skirt and your Diolen dress is indeed a delight!
    I've only seen the first series of Endeavour and really enjoyed it.
    The garden is still looking fantastic. our Virginia Creeper is bald now, I need a new spot for blog poses!
    Take care! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! I do find Lockdown 2.0 quite bearable, perhaps it's no longer such a big deal after surviving the first one, though I do despair for all those smaller independent businesses. xxx

      Delete
  5. Here too we must take into account the new limitations .. patience! How nice to see your clothes! You always know how to give it a touch of perfect color! You have found some treasures ... I love the textures of the fabrics and the colorful accessories that complete your outfits...(I love crochet...) It gets dark now and the plants are preparing for winter ... one last gift, the warm colors, red and gold on the leaves ...
    Hugs, Carmela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Carmela! If there's one thing we've learned, it is to have patience! xxx

      Delete
  6. Oh Endeavor is the reason we Wan by to visit Oxford!! Such a good series. Thursday is such a character too! Those Burgundy ankle boots are devine as I love buckles on boots. And to find Nathalie Vleeschouwer clothing in a charity shop!! Gosh you are lucky!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We first visited Oxford because of Morse! And during our second visit they were filming Lewis! Oxford is every bit as gorgeous as it looks on film, and I'd love to return one day! xxx

      Delete
  7. Wow, that green dress and blue jungle dress is a beauty. I love the green cardi you paired it with. I love prints like that- so full of life and good vibes.
    The second outfit with the denim skirt and the sweater is lovely as well.
    Your garden looks beautiful walking the thin line between summer and autumn. We have been blessed with sunny weather- I need it with all the cleaning, packing and moving I need to do.
    The third outfit with the blue dress is very beautiful.
    I'm happy to hear that you have adapted well to the lockdown. The reason behind it is depressive, but we must make the most of things, I guess. I cope pretty well in these kind of situations. I would call myself a high-functioning introvert. I function well in social settings and like working with people, but as for my private life, I quite like being by myself or in small groups. Spending time with a few close friends, or just with my husband is just my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! You know, I am exactly the same, preferring to spend my private time with Jos, or some close friends, and I have no problem being just by myself either. I'm really out of my depth in larger groups. xxx

      Delete
  8. You found so many wonderful clothes, you are a lucky Ann 😁 Great they have a second chance. I feel with you, you can't let this nice cord blazer in the shop. It's a steal for this price ❤️. You look gorgeous in your styles.
    Have a good week, stay safe and healthy. With a huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! I'm glad you agree on that cord blazer :-) xxx

      Delete
  9. I love your look in the crochet top and denim skirt, my all time favourite maybe. I would wear that in a second.
    Great 70's vibe. Lise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lise, I remember having a similar crochet top when I was in my teens ... back in the 70s :-) xxx

      Delete
  10. Wow, didn't you do well! So much fabulousness in one haul! The boots are amazing - both pairs and I loved all the dresses/skirts/cardis; and that wonderful jacket with the beautifully rounded pockets. Loved the crochet sweater as well.

    It's funny, I have the same self imposed rule about coats and jackets as you; but like you it doesn't work!!

    Take care
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni, and phew, I'm so glad I'm not the only one not following my own rules :-) xxx

      Delete
  11. Argh.. really hate these winter times as you like to call it..
    What a trove of treasures you have found.. both skirts are so lovely. Love the metal necklace as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hena! We actually call it Winter Time here in Belgium. I always have a hard time adapting to the time shift, it does feel a bit unreal the first couple of days! xxx

      Delete
  12. Love that blue dress at the end - what a great piece on you! it's wonderful you were able to find so many great pieces at the opshop too! I really like the cord blazer and that orange shift dress - both such nice colours! :)

    Hope that you are having a wonderful week :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica! That blue dress is definitely one of my favourites! xxx

      Delete
  13. Sorry that charities and second hand shops are not allowed to open, but I agree that this 2nd Lockdown is being more wearable. The shops are open here, but no bars nor cafés, which is considered like a drama by most spanish people (not me). People can be really insensate.
    No wonder you were appealed by the jungly print of this dress, it's stunning!, these colors are fab and love the chartreuse and cobalt blue accessorizing!. Love your leaves necklace, so delicate!
    Lovely finds!, I'm in love with those funky prints in the Diolen skirt and the short sleeved dress, and the cute designer dress! (such a bargain!). Looking forward to see them 'in action'.
    Love your diagonally striped Diolen Delight dress, totally a jammy dress, comfy and cool!.
    We've watched 'Endeavour' series (and waiting for season 7 to be aired). Actually, we're huge fans, love the atmosphere, the characters, everything. Mr.A. has been reading the books too!.
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! Here, the cafés and restaurants were already closed two weeks before the 2nd lockdown. I have no problem with that at all, as we haven't been into any
      since before lockdown 1. I was thrilled to find Season 7 on DVD. Sadly, season 8 has been put on hold due to you know what ... xxx

      Delete
  14. Hello, my dear! Sorry for my absence in comment, and in post for you. As explanation for why you missed my posts, I often work in Draft form for some of my long posts w/flashbacks, and Google Reader usually skips those or shows them long before I post them (so they may be further down in the Reader than would seem logical), and also because of working in Draft, Blogger seems not to send them by email. I've noticed this happening with some of the bloggers I follow and had not connected it. So, my apologies!

    Now, this is a lovely post and let me have some assorted musings:
    - Things are looking like we may have to back into semi-lockdown in my province, as daily cases start to verge into the 700+ range. Scary, but there's hope with a possible vaccine!
    - That jungle dress is slammin'! I love it with cobalt and chartreuse (your colour, for sure).
    - What a treasure haul you had! My favourites are the amber corduroy blazer (score!), the circles dress (so much potential for playing pops of colour), and the modern shift dress (also a score! I would also put a thin turtleneck under it and black tights/shoes/boots, and load on the necklaces and cuffs). Can't wait to see you style them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Sheila! I had no idea about working in Draft causing problems. I always work in Draft ...
      I'm sorry to hear cases are rising where you are. They are still sky high here, but at least they're going down.
      I was going to wear that shift dress the way you suggest, only I can't find my thin turtlenecks :-) xxx

      Delete
  15. Oops, itchy "publish" finger, not quite done.

    - Those boots! Great find in the Fly London boots - they don't fit the shape of my feet, sadly. I am greatly enamoured of the blue boots, though. Fluevog has a similar pair, but theirs are too high! I don't supposed you are a size 40?? :)
    - I LOVE your 70s crochet/denim outfit! This is a fun departure from your usual vintage looks, and it really suits you. I know S. Oliver - it's a brand that I see at Dots!
    - Good work on your closet changeover. I'm going to do my coat closet this afternoon, I think.
    - That Diolen Delight is well-named - what a fantastic pattern. It looks great with the green accessories.

    Take care and have a good week, my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, well thank you for finishing your comment :-) Fortunately the blue boots are quite flat-heeled ... but I have to disappoint you, I'm afraid: I have a tiny size 37! xxx

      Delete
  16. Just stopping by to wish you a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thinking of you Ann as you enter in to Winter as well as a lockdown, glad there are still some places for a drive and some businesses open. My you did do well with your bargains , the cord jacket was far too good to leave. Both pairs of boots are wonderful . Your jungle print dress is a stunner and I do love your brooch. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill! I thought I'd find the 2nd lockdown harder, as it least it was Spring the first time around. However - fingers crossed - I'm finding it quite bearable! xxx

      Delete
  18. Wow Ann, you found and featured some really fantastic things here! I love your mossy outfit, ditto the biscuit colour cord jacket and geometric shift dress. The fly boots are such a find and I love your crochet jumper.
    Lockdown here feels different this time too, our local garden centre is open and whilst I haven't been, I know I can if I want to!
    Sorry to hear about your friend's Dad, its difficult not being able to see people.
    I love Endeavor, such a good series. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally, it was quite a haul wasn't it? We've been to the garden centre once. It's such an advantage that we can go during the week, as I guess it would be much busier in the weekend. xxx

      Delete
  19. My stars, do I adore the first ensemble highlighted here. The vibrancy of the rich blues and reds partnered with that earthy shade of moss meets olive green is head-turningly incredible.

    Autumn Zenith 🎃 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your 2 pairs of boots are amazing, what a fabulous find! Ahh I love Endeavour you should come back to Oxford one of these days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gisela! Oh, I'd love to come back to Oxford! In fact, long before the current crisis, I dreamed I was in Oxford and we were supposed to meet, but everything went pear shaped! xxx

      Delete
  21. Ah, these new garments make me so happy! What utter beauties! Such prints and details! You did so well!

    ReplyDelete
  22. P.S. I ALWAYS get charity shop envy for your BOOT purchases! Never do I find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably because of my size, which is 37 or 4, that I've been so successful in finding boots in charity shops over the years :-) xxx

      Delete
  23. Your filigree leaf necklace is lovely, and the dress was well worth spending the time to mend it.
    What a haul! The Diolen skirt is fabulous, as is the orange shift dress, and the Fly London boots are such a great find! The charity gods were certainly smiling on you that day - maybe they knew another lockdown was on it’s way? Isn’t it funny that self made rules go out the window as soon as a good find crops up? I did the same this year with my one-only purchase rule… more than once! But some things you just can’t leave behind, and that jacket is superb.
    Take care
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hazel! That filigree necklace was still new on card when I found it in a charity shop. There was another, slightly different, one as well.
      I have to admit I'm very bad at keeping to those self-imposed rules :-) xxx

      Delete