Tuesday 24 November 2020

Creature comforts and home truths

The temperature continued to hover around a balmy 16° C in November's second week, and although we'd left the handful of gloriously sunny days of the first week behind us, it was still unseasonably warm.

Even the mornings weren't chilly enough to qualify as properly Autumnal, so that there was as yet no need for the heavy woollen coats, chunky knit scarves and gloves which are usually par for the course this time of year.


After Monday's uneventful office day, we woke up to a mixture of sunshine and light clouds on Tuesday. 

I'd chalked in a blog catch up as well as making a start on dusting the downstairs rooms while Jos was running errands, but my plans were thwarted by a wardrobe failure. 

Alas, the outfit I'd earmarked, and which was built around one of my recently charity shopped skirts, had looked infinitely better in my mind's eye. It simply didn't work and although initially I decided to persevere with it, I felt so out of sorts that I couldn't possibly concentrate and had to abandon my blog commenting to change into something else entirely.

The rust, burgundy and cream plaid H&M skirt I changed into was another charity shop find, but picked up several years ago, in October 2017. My brown leather belt, teal King Louie cardigan and black and white ceramic beaded necklace were charity shopped as well, while the Paisley print blouse came from Think Twice. 

To compliment my skirt's rusty shades, I pinned an orange felted flower corsage to my cardigan. This is an old retail buy, which has family members in many different colours. The ceramic heart brooch on my blouse is a Welsh holiday souvenir bought from a shop called The Crafters Cwtch in Cardigan.

From my rainbow of opaques, I selected a pair of wine red ones, while my footwear of choice was a pair of snake print ankle boots, a sales bargain from New Look.


I'd barely finished dusting the sitting room when Jos returned with his purchases. Apart from a fortnight's supply of non-alcoholic beers, these included a new mobile, picked up in our phone provider's shop in a nearby town, which had thankfully been allowed to stay open. His old mobile's battery had been playing up for months and as things had recently come to a head, the time had finally come to upgrade to a new one.

After lunch, we attempted to get to grips with the new phone's features. Then, as it looked as if rain was imminent, we grabbed our coats (in my case, my burgundy Tweed jacket with knitted sleeves and yoke) and swiftly walked to the museum garden further up our street for outfit photos. 



We'd only just made it home before the heavens opened and we were treated to heavy rain for the remainder of the day, leaving a drowned and bedraggled garden in its wake.

Wednesday was Armistice Day and as this is a public holiday in Belgium, the week's schedule was a bit different, with me having to go into work on Thursday instead.

It was an utterly grey and damp day and I was in a bit of a maudlin mood so that I couldn't settle to anything. For want of something better to do, I finished the dusting I'd started on Tuesday, giving the hallway and dining room a once-over, while Jos vacuumed the downstairs rooms in my wake.



The day's chores done, I made myself comfortable on the sofa, finishing Anne Tyler's A Spool of Blue Thread, and starting the latest installment of Lucinda Riley's The Seven Sisters series. With its 836 pages, The Sun Sister will certainly keep me spellbound for a while.

Presented with a gap in the clouds, Jos wanted to walk to our garage to connect his new mobile to our car enabling him to call hands-free, so I accompanied him for some outfit photos.



It might not have been cold enough for woollens, but berets, now that's a totally different story! 

Although there hasn't really been a need for these either, my drawerful of berets in all colours of the rainbow - painstakingly collected over the years - has been calling my name whenever I walk past the hallway cabinet they live in. I have been known to purposely postpone washing my hair just to have the bad hair days which justify wearing them!

That day, I selected a burnt orange one to go with my opaques, which in their turn picked up the burnt orange swirls in my vintage bottle green polyester and wool-blend Trevira dress. More shades of rust and orange appeared in my vintage woollen plaid jacket and crushed velvet scarf. To accompany the dress, I donned my bottle green wedge heeled ankle boots for the occasion. 



Is that a ray of sunshine I detect up there? Let's bask in it for a minute!

The coral polka dot cardigan I layered my dress with is an old H&M one, to which I pinned yet another one of my flower corsages, in a minty green to compliment the similarly coloured swirls in my dress.

The wooden brooch covered in tiny flowers was a flea market find, while my necklace - which you can just catch a glimpse of - was a gift from one of our favourite flea market traders. Sigh!



Back at home, we awarded ourselves the luxury of a warm waffle sprinkled with icing sugar. 

Together with pancakes, this is a traditional afternoon treat in Belgian tearooms, offering a choice of toppings to go with them. Alas, they are all still closed, although I have to admit I do not really miss eating out.



As mentioned, I had to work on Thursday that week, which felt oddly off-kilter.

Drawing our curtains on Friday morning, we were relieved to see some hazy rays of sunshine lighting up the garden. A light hoar frost made the silky webs of gossamer draped over the red-berried Cotoneaster look like unruly candyfloss.


I keep marvelling at the determination of plants, their efforts to shine one more time often in vain. 

Their petals all blackened and shriveled up, the Echinacea flowers look like ghosts of their former selves, while a lonely Felicia flower (top right) rears its tiny head above the still fresh green foliage. One or two Oxeye daisies are shyly opening their hearts, and there seems to be no stopping the exuberance of the Verbena Rigida (bottom left) we planted in early Summer.



My outfit of the day started with a grey and white wallpaper print dress with a pleated skirt, its monochromes brightened with splashes of fuchsia and turquoise on its collar and hem. And here's the teal King Louie cardie again, this time adorned with a fuchsia flower corsage. 



Other accessories were a pink and black beaded necklace, a pink vinyl belt and a flower embroidered brooch pinned to my dress.

Turquoise opaques and my newly acquired burgundy Fly London ankle boots completed my outfit.


Just a tiny bit envious of Jos's new phone and wanting to make use of the incredible deal he'd got on it, I decided to trade in mine as well. After all, as we'd bought our old phones at the same time back in the Spring of 2017, it would only be a matter of time until mine would be giving up the ghost as well.




The new phone's got an incredible camera, which I spent the rest of the afternoon experimenting with.

Here's a wide angle shot of our tiny sitting room taken from the sofa on which we were sat (the blue is Jos's denim-clad knee), and look who's snoring away on one of the 1950s cocktail chairs! 



Jos often sits in that chair, reading or doing word puzzles. That is, until Phoebe comes along and claims the chair as hers. 

Now that the nights are drawing in, and it gets dark half-way through the afternoon, the time has come to make things cozy by lighting some candles! The one in front of the Gossiping Mary's on top of one of the sitting room cabinets has found a home in an old amber coloured glass flower pot.



Things were definitely looking up on the weather front, the fiery sunset a herald of the bright and sunny day forecasted for Saturday. But that will be for another post.

Until then, friends and readers, I'm urging you once more to stay safe!


45 comments:

  1. Fabulous frocks with gorgeous accessories.
    Loving your orange living room.
    Your camera on your cell phone is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carole! I'm very pleased with my phone's camera, especially as my previous phone's was a bit rubbish :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. I like it warm even in November. Buthe weather has changed from sunny to foggy and cold now. It is goint to stay like this. I don't complain though. I try to wear as much colour as possible. All the best! xxx Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regula! We are expecting frost overnight! xxx

      Delete
  3. I know that feeling of an outfit that just won't work and no amount of tweaking will help. I'm glad you were able to change and get on with your day.

    The wide angle lens sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad that it wasn't a working day, so that I had the opportunity to change! xxx

      Delete
  4. What beautiful photos, Ann !! The colors you wear give beautiful sensations! I like the jacket with the knitted sleeves ... I think it's really comfortable..and the accessories !! What a beautiful brooch with small flowers, a miniature .. The leaves of the garden begin to color for the autumn, here it rains almost every day and our plants require proper care. Eheh !! ... I also try to communicate with the cell phone purchased some time ago ... but he knows that I will use it little and he teases me ...
    Hugs, Carmela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carmela, and I'm glad the colours I'm wearing make you feel happy! Oh, cell phones, I think they have minds of their own :-) xxx

      Delete
  5. This was a very soothing post for me, Ann - thank you! I have had those outfit days, believe me! And I haven't usually had the luxury to change things up either. I love the alternate outfit - the colours are just amazing. That rust and purple combo is fabulous.

    The green and orange outfit is sublime - the mint green corsage brooch is perfect. I'm also a sucker for berets - they work better with my hair longer, so I've been watching for more in the shops. I was tempted by a black one with coloured rhinestones (very 80s).

    The black and white outfit is perfectly accented with the blues and wines. You are looking very tiny these days, perhaps you need to eat more waffles! :) That little waist!

    Ah! There's your home! I love this view, and seeing Phoebe there is so comforting. L has an iPhone now for work, but doesn't use it outside of the office; I still have never had one! Eventually we'll need to do it, but I enjoy not having that tether...but they sure take good pictures!

    Have a good rest of your week, my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased read my post was soothing for you. As for berets, I like having my fringe just a little bit longer when wearing them. No problem now that hairdressers are closed :-) We both bought mobiles as we needed to be able to get in touch on the "home run", as Jos is/was usually picking me up somewhere or other. We had simple phones for the longest time before we switched to smart phones. Once you've got one, that's it :-) xxx

      Delete
  6. I know what you mean. Sometimes an outfit looks better in our head then it does in reality. When such a thing happens to me, I do what you do as well- I change (immediately if possible). I do like the outfit you ended up wearing. The print and the rusty tones in the skirt are fabulous and I love the top and the cardi. The wine read tights look fantastic with those snake boots. I love all the colours in that outfit.
    The burned red beret you wore with your second styling is fabulous. I love wearing berets too. The bottle green vintage dress is fabulous. Another fantastic styling.

    I imagine working different days can feel confusing. I'm looking for a job right now, time feels so odd without regular working hours. I busy myself with stuff obviously but it is not the same. Sometimes it happens that I'm not sure what day it is.

    It's fun to see your home from that perspective, what a great shot. That's a great cam on that cellphone, I'd say! Have a lovely week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! I'm usually quite good at planning outfits in my head, but yes, sometimes it happens! I do hope you find a new job soon. It's easy to lose track of time without the structure a job offers! xxx

      Delete
  7. Fabulous frocks with gorgeous accessories.
    Loving your orange living room.
    Your camera on your cell phone is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look great in any of your outfits. I love the burgundy tweed jacket. What a wonderful colour! ❤️
    I bought a waffle iron for Belgian waffles after our vacation in Belgium. I also make them myself. Very tasty.
    Stay healthy Ann! With a huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! We've got a waffle iron which doubles as a "croque monsieur" machine, which of course offers endless opportunities :-) xxx

      Delete
  9. hhhmmm - waffles!
    the swirly dress is one of my favs! love the colours and the orange piping and that very clean cut..... perfect with the tartan jacket.
    i´m a beret wearer myself - as you already know - even ordered some crocheted cotton ones for warmer days :-D (mum did them).
    our lockdown will stay until x-mas they say..... as i do not take part in that pre-xmas-frantic it will not make much difference.
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! We had waffles again earlier today. Sorry :-) That swirly dress is always a delight to rediscover in Autumn. And I do wish our lockdown would have stayed until X-mas too. But no, they are re-opening the shops on 1 Dec! But family parties at X-mas still aren't allowed, and I'm secretly glad. xxx

      Delete
  10. Your outfit looks so sophisticated and impressive! I love it!
    The Wallet Heaven

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't it disappointing when you have an outfit in your head but once on just doesn't look right? Never mind, you turned it round beautifully, the mix of tweed and checks is lovely. Loving the green swirly dress and the wallpaper dress, too.
    A Spool of Blue Thread is a wonderful read, I remember being captivated by it, when I read it on a beach in Goa.
    Berets suit you and Beate, I look like a bus nutter when I wear one!
    How amazing does your lounge look with that wide angle lens? Like a magazine shoot. Phoebe looks very settled and cosy. Our lads decided to run round in the torrential rain this morning and shake themselves off like a pair of dogs when they got inside, no decorum those two!
    Stay safe! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, and I was glad I didn't have to go into work, so that I could turn it around. I loved A Spool of Blue Thread. It had been a while since I last read Anne Tyler. You do suit a woolly hat with a massive pom pom, which makes ME look like a bus nutter :-) xxx

      Delete
  12. Lovely outfits as always! Isn't it strange how the outfits you plan in your head don't always look like you expected? Then trying to find a substitute can take ages - a curse if you have to get to work! All the outfits looked great and I do admire your multi coloured collection of ankle boots and of course your berets! I might wear one tomorrow as it's meant to be a horrible day...

    Your sitting room looks very cosy and inviting.

    I hope you're having fun playing with your new phone!

    Take care
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! I'm not good at all with new technology, so it's a relief to have worked it all out. The camera is a definite plus. Like yours, it is much better than my other phone's camera! xxx

      Delete
  13. I see a fabulous Paisley blouse!! And you know what the theme is next month for The Good Buy/Good-Bye Book! Take an educated guess....What a lovely sitting room, very cozy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! It's not Paisley, is it? So what would I have to do to participate? I'll have a look at your blog, I guess :-) xxx

      Delete
  14. Hi Ann
    I’m chuckling at you being out of sorts with your outfit, that happens to me and I’ll go back into my Narnia wardrobe and get changed.
    You’ve set me off now with the new phone as mine is quite old, although still working ok. I keep looking at the newer ones with the fancy cameras. I could be tempted. I noticed on Vix’s blog that Jon's just changed his as well.
    Put that lovely grey dress on my pile please heehee.
    Your living room is so pretty and cosy. We’ve got the new carpet coming on Monday. Philip is quite nervous of having the fitters in the house so I’m going to see to things.
    We’ve just been told that we will still be in Tier 3 at the end of lockdown 2 next week. So our local pubs and cafes can't reopen. It’s so upsetting for them.
    Take care lovely friends. Sending our love to you both xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn, and it was a joy to see your comment pop up. I've missed you! Well, that's what Narnia wardrobes are for, isn't it :-) Our shops are allowed to re-open on Tuesday, but pubs and restaurant will still be closed here too! xxx

      Delete
  15. Love those rusty shades and love the fab color combo with teal and burgundy!, and you're so brilliant mixing patterns!, snake print, paisley, plaid, they rock together!. I've totally understand that you couldn't concentrate when feeling that your outfit didn't work, this happens to me sometimes and I Have to change into something different or nothing can be done this day.
    I'm in love with the bottle Green and orange color combo in your second outfit. Loving every detail and the delightful matchiness!. Looking gorgeous, dear Anne!.
    And your wallpaper print dress is so stunning, love that it has those colorful details in its collar and hem which you've enhanced with fab accessories!. Brilliant!
    Thanks for sharing this really fab photos of your home. Nowadays mobile phone's cameras are amazing!. And I love the orange walls! (and Phoebe!)
    Our local lockdown will end up on Sunday, which means that we will be allowed to go out our city, and some terraces will open. Hoping that people don't go mad.
    besos
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! I would have felt out of sorts all day if I hadn't changed into something else entirely!
      Our sitting room's tiny and when we chose the dark orange, people said it would make the room look even smaller. What do they know, eh? xxx

      Delete
  16. I love your orange room, my favourite colour as you know, especially at this time of year.
    I once tried to read that Anne Tyler book and couldn't get into it. What did you think of it?
    I could so eat that waffle! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally! I did love the book, although it had quite an abrupt ending. But sometimes you just cannot get into a book, that's for sure. I never try to persevere if I can't! xxx

      Delete
  17. We have been lucky with the weather, the bright days a perfect antidote to all that is happening in the world.
    I can't stand an outfit that doesn't feel right either, it just makes you feel off kilter, don't you think? Your second outfit of the day was a triumph, the paisley and tartan look fabulous together. I don't know how you do it, I can't combine prints at all, any print I have is simply teamed with black, grey or navy :D
    Your Fly London ankle boots are proving to be a great purchase, they've been worn a lot already.
    Your lounge looks fabulous in that shot. I love the warm orange, and I think Phoebe has definitely taken the best spot!
    Take care
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've definitely been lucky! In fact, we were able to go out walking three times this past week. Some years, we do not even manage one walk at this time of year!
      As for the pattern mixing, it certainly was an acquired skill with me. Once I got the hang of it, there was no stopping me. Glad you love the orange! xxx

      Delete
  18. I love that last outfit with the teal and red against the black and white printed dress! It's a shame you had to change your outfit the first day, I don't like it when things didn't come together as I had planned as I so rarely have time to change my outfit in the morning as I have to get the kids organised and ready too, haha! :) Glad your second outfit of the day was more successful, it looks lovely.

    Hope that you are having a wonderful weekend! We started putting up the Christmas decorations yesterday :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica! I can't change my outfit either if it's a working day. Luckily, it wasn't. I simply couldn't concentrate! I tried the skirt again, and it's in my latest post! xxx

      Delete
  19. Tee hee. It looks like two of the flower pots were hovering in mid-air...is that a special camera effect with the new phone.

    Ooooh, I looove that wallpaper dress! One of my weaknesses for sure! There is something so lovely about that print!!

    I am glad you two are staying safe and that cafes are closed. We recently experienced an alarming spike in the numbers in my city, and now there is a potential to shut the province of Ontario down.

    happy cocooning at home ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It rather does! Those pots are hanging from the awning outside the back door. No special effects whatsoever, just some clever framing ;-) I'm glad cafés and restaurants are staying closed, although non-essential shops will re-open on Tuesday. Cocooning at home it the safest option, I'm sure! xxx

      Delete
  20. Love your skirt, Ann!

    What is a museum garden? I’m curious. The backdrop of leaves looks stunning.

    And your tartan jacket is lovely too. I’m the same with berets – absolutely love them and they’re perfect for oily hair days.

    Your sitting room looks wonderful and your phone camera certainly is very good. My phone takes lousy shots. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jess. There's a museum of folklore down our street, and there's an organic garden attached to it. I love the backdrop of its rusty gate for outfit photos!
      My previous phone took lousy shots too! xxx

      Delete
  21. May I just say, dear Ann, that your hair looks especially lovely in all of these photos. That length + colour is nothing short of gorgeous on you.

    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Autumn! What a nice thing to say about my hair, especially as I'm overdue a colour and cut :-) xxx

      Delete