Sunday 15 November 2020

November days are clear and bright

We're halfway through November now, and so far this month has been a rather mixed bag in terms of weather and mood. Uncharacteristically mild and sunny days which felt more like late Summer than advanced Autumn alternated with those soul-draining damp and dreary ones more common for the year's penultimate month.

More often than not, my mood seems to synchronize with the weather, which was particularly true on Sunday the 1st of November. Perhaps befitting All Saints' Day, the day was a miserable one throughout and so dark that we couldn't even muster the energy to take any outfit photos.

The bleak blanket of clouds followed us into Monday, when they were joined by a succession of showers from midday onwards, the temperature incongruously climbing towards a balmy 20° Celsius.

To say I was glad I could switch off my pc, don my mask and go home at the end of my office day is quite an understatement!



Much to my relief, the sun rejoined us on Tuesday, and even the drop in temperature to a much cooler 13°C couldn't damped my renewed joie de vivre.

Dressing was a doddle that morning, as I'd already planned to rewear Sunday's unphotographed outfit.

A mixture of palest yellow, ochre and tan flowers and seashells adorn my navy blue vintage dress, dictating my use of yellows and tans for my cardigan, opaques and belt. I even wore a yellow beret, although it wasn't strictly necessary yet. I have been eyeing my drawer full of berets with much longing, and a bad hair day is just the perfect excuse!




The chain of wooden rings and discs is an old retail buy from Accessorize and has featured on my blog countless times before, while the flower corsage I pinned to my cardigan is part of an extensive collection. I have been wearing these on and off for many years and they may well have kick-started my current brooch collection.



After a brief inspection of the garden, making note of those plants and flowers which are still going strong and those who have given in to the inevitable, I retreated upstairs for some long overdue dusting.

The November sunshine, at once bright and slightly veiled, streamed in through our bedroom window and landing skylight, highlighting my main wardrobe with its jumble of suitcases and beauty cases on top. These are not just for decoration, mind you, but offer sanctuary to smaller items such as socks, scarves, belts and buttons.



The wardrobe itself, with its gleaming bow-fronted main doors and side doors adorned with carved flower panels, was found in a charity shop back in March 2015, at the end of a very long and initially fruitless search.

Here's a view from our bedroom towards the tiny landing separating our bedroom from our spare room. However small it is, we nevertheless managed to cram a book case into it, which was custom made by my Dad, with a vintage Tomado shelving unit hanging directly above. We haven't got an inch to spare!



The top shelf of yet another Tomado unit, this one living in our bedroom, is full of Lourdes memorabilia. This is one of our accidental collections started after Jos was given a Lourdes clock-cum-music box by an ex-colleague. Shortly afterwards, we found a plastic holy water bottle in the form of Our Lady of Lourdes in a charity shop, and the rest, shall we say, is history!


We've long stopped collecting and have even thinned out our collection in the meantime, but there's still a lot of curious and intriguing objects jostling for space, making dusting the shelf an arduous task.

Egg cups and snow globes, one of them doubling as a perpetual calendar, candles, holy water bottles in all shapes and sizes, and kitsch ornaments galore: we have it all. One of the wackiest items in our collection must be the disco light ornament, pictured top right in the collage below) which we found still in its box in a charity shop. Here it is in its full glory!



The sun greeted us again on Wednesday which made quite a difference to my second working day of the week. Due to my office's wall-to-wall windows, I am very aware of the weather and I'm usually far more productive on those days when I can see Antwerp's cityscape basking in sunslight from my 5th floor perch.


We enjoyed the same sunny but slightly nippy weather on Thursday. As I was washing up our breakfast things, I glanced out of the window, stopping dead in my tracks when I saw a male blackbird making short shrift with our Cotoneaster berries. We always used to have blackbirds flock to our garden until a virus decimated their numbers a couple of years ago. Now they have become a rare sight.



While Jos was off to the supermarket, I dressed in my misbehaving pumpkin coloured cord skirt and a jumper, put on my denim gardening apron and my ankle wellies, and tackled some of the outstanding gardening chores. These included planting the remainder of the Spring bulbs (Snowdrops, two kinds of Grape Hyacinths and Allium 'purple sensation') as well as a leaf sweeping session.

We needed more bread mix, a house plant to replace one that had died on us and some plants for our window box so, as garden centres are mercifully allowed to stay open, this is where we were off to after lunch. Then, with our boot full of stuff - as we'd obviously bought more than we'd bargained for - we drove on to Jos's old playground, now turned into a nature reserve, for a short walk and the obligatory outfit photos.


I'd changed into another cord skirt after my gardening session, this one in a bottle green. Found in a vintage per kilo shop almost exactly a year ago, its midi-length A-line made me feel much more comfortable than the other skirt did. This one's definitely a keeper!

I chose opaques in an orange-red to tie in with my top, added a reddish brown leather belt and book-ended my outfit with sage green boots and beret. My Berlin-made rust-coloured woollen plaid jacket was an old Think Twice find.



A breath of fresh air was just what we needed, although we only went for the shortest of strolls as there were far too many people out and about for our liking. It might have been just a weekday, but we had quite forgotten it was in the middle of the school holidays!

Nevertheless, my nature loving heart was captured by the fluffy Clematis seed heads high up in a tree, a patch of lichen among the carpet of Autumn leaves and some end-of-season dragonflies soaking up the life-giving rays of the sun.



The psychedelic print River Woods pussy-bow top was one of my first charity shop finds after lockdown # 1, the ceramic Bambi brooch was a flea market find and the spiky green brooch I pinned to my jacket was a gift from Kezzie!



Even if the light was waning by the time we got home, I still insisted on planting up the window box in the passageway with some of the plants we brought back from the garden centre.

I used variegated leaved Heuchera 'Can Can' as a centrepiece and flanked it with pansies and ornamental cabbages. Behind the window, you can see the houseplant we bought, which compliments the arrangement perfectly.



The plant in question is called Aglaonema and originates from the Asian rain forests. It is supposed to be perfect for dark places, which is why we chose it in the first place. It might be spotlighted by the rays of the sun now, but soon the latter won't be high and strong enough to reach this spot, which is hemmed in by our kitchen and the garden wall.

While browsing the indoor plants at the garden centre, we fell hard for this bottle garden, which is now taking pride of place in our hallway, where it is enjoying the filtered sunlight streaming through our front door's fanlight.




So, that was it for another episode of semi-lockdown life. There were more sunny days on the horizon, so next time I hope you'll join me again for a proper walk in our favourite nature reserve.

Until then, as always, stay safe, sane and fabulous!



40 comments:

  1. ha - a bottle garden! i had one as a kid, but it died while i was 3 weeks at summer camp - someone watered it to exessively....
    the window box looks pretty, well done!
    the dress with the huge flowers is gorgeous - and fab with yellow accessories.
    thanx goodness for nature reserves!!
    hugsies! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beate! Hurray for nature reserves indeed :-) The bottle garden's instructions say we are not supposed to water it at all, except in extreme circumstances. So far, it is doing well, but there's no guarantee, as we are quite hopeless with house plants :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. I love the combo of a mustard yellow cardigan and beanie paired with a blue dress. The fabric blue flower brooch you wore with it is lovely. I was just thinking about how I want to make some fabric brooches and what I want to make is definitely something like the brooch you're wearing.
    It's wonderful to see your garden and the Lourdes collection. The plants in the bottle arrangement is very cute.
    I also like your outfit with the fabulous tartan blazer and a bottle green cord skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! With your multi talents, I'm sure you'll be able to pull off a brooch like that! xxx

      Delete
  3. I love your outfits and how you have styled them in all the looks. Its so wonderful to see your garden, The plants in the bottles are so beautiful, Fall colors are beautiful we don't get so much of that in my country so I get to appreciate all the pictures you put out here on the post. I'm glad to come across your blog and now I'm a fan. Looking forward to read more of your posts. Stay safe and see you around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Ruth! I really love Autumn, and I'm glad I'm living in a country with what I call "proper seasons" :-) Glad to hear you're a fan! xxx

      Delete
  4. The gloomy weather makes it hard to stay upbeat, doesn't it? It's been hard for me too. Colour is the way to beat it, and nothing beats all that sunny marigold yellow, Ann! Love it!

    Your gorgeous wardrobe unit is stunning - I would die if I saw something like that (they are quite rare here; most houses have closets). I like getting a peek at your collections - so fun!

    I thought you had a graphic tee on in your second outfit! I love that funky top so much! It's a bummer about the crowds (I always forget about school holidays too). Your garden is looking lovely - that window box is very pretty. I adore your bottle garden - it's totally cat-proof! I might need one of those!

    I hope this week sees sunnier days for you, my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! I do wish I had space for a closet, but my lovely wardrobe is the next best thing :-)
      I'm hearing you on the bottle garden being cat-proof. We have to be careful which plants we bring home, as some of them seem to drive Phoebe absolutely mad! xxx

      Delete
  5. Cool stuff. Your posts are always full of bright color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you had this good weather of the last 3 days. 16 degrees and sun was here. It was wonderful.
    Your Lourdes collection is crazy and you made me smile about the discolights. 😁 So much fun. I have never seen such bottles.
    Your outfits are amazing. I love the colour of your first find after lockdown.
    I wish you a wonderful monday, with a huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina and I'm glad the Lourdes disco lights made you smile! It's such a totally mad thing, isn't it? Our weather has been very up and down and yesterday the temperature dropped under 10°C. Brr. xxx

      Delete
  7. Even when working inside, it makes a big difference. It looks like the sun is going to come out today. :-) All the best! Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regula, and yes, it makes all the difference in the world! xxx

      Delete
  8. Your vintage wardrobe is breathtakingly beautiful. What an awesome find! I can sincerely relate to not having an inch of space to spare. We live in a fairly small house and have to be ultra mindful of everything that comes in (or goes out) so as to not risk having clutter build up or the house feeling too cramped. I'm not a minimalist, but this house and the fact that I just feel like I need less things around me as I age, I'm closer to one than ever before in my life.

    I hope that you had a splendid weekend, my sweet friend, and that the second half of November goes as positively, safely and enjoyable as possible for you.

    Autumn Zenith 🎃 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Autumn! Unfortunately, not having much space has not curbed my hoarding habits :-) At least now during the pandemic they have been reigned in somewhat! xxx

      Delete
  9. Oh my moods changes every other day. I am having a hard time now to see past this damn virus. I guess it's to blame by the lack of sun. So when we can get out, we will! Love that chunky necklace. We always have a lot of blackbirds in our garden! Still see them a lot. Love that bottle garden. You don't have to water that do you? And the pussy bow blouse is just perfect! I love a bit of a psychedelic print! Have a good week Ann!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! I am definitely hearing you as I too often have a hard time seeing the end of the tunnel. It does help when the sun is shining, though. And no, you are not supposed to water that bottle garden :-) xxx

      Delete
  10. Loved your outfits and the orangey red tights are an amazing colour. I could do with a pair that colour. I had to laugh at your holy water displays; my Uncle gave me the exact same one as in your first photo - the tallest BVM in a transparent bottle - full of holy water from Lourdes; and it's lived in my bedside drawer for the past 10 years...I daren't get rid of it.

    I adored your wardrobe - how on earth did you get it up the stairs and is the hanging space all yours? If so I am very envious. I like the beauty/travel bags idea as storage; and as it so happens I spied 2 up in the loft the other day!

    I'm also so pleased to see a picture of your Honesty plant; it's reminded me to add it to my list of plants for next year. Your houseplant and the bottle garden are lovely and your window box arrangement looks very effective with the tallest plant in the middle.

    Hope the weather's not too gloomy - we've had a couple of really gloomy days which are so dispiriting.

    Take care
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! I know, these holy water bottles are totally crazy. Mind you, some of them are empty :-) As for that wardrobe, it can be disassembled! Otherwise we would never have been able to get it upstairs, let alone turn it about on our postage stamp sized landing! We've been assured of honesty plants ever since we planted one years ago, it does self-seed like mad and we never know where it's going to turn up next :-) xxx

      Delete
  11. Lovely yellows, ochres and blues color combo, so fabulous outfit!. I love the print of your dress (as usual!) and the cute necklace (one of my favourite ones of your collection). Even in gloomy days, you carry your own sunshine, dear Anne.
    The Lourdes collection is so amazing!, and love particularly your beauty cases collection and the carved pannels on your wardrobe.
    Love your psychedelic blouse and red tights and the delightfully matchy greens in your second outfit. This cord skirt is so cute! and the brooches!!.
    Your garden looks beautiful and these new plants in the windowsills are stunning!. The decorative cabbages and pansies have inspired me!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! That necklace is one of my favourites too :-) And yes, providing one's own sunshine is a must when the days get darker!
      I'm pleased to have inspired you! xxx

      Delete
  12. I bought a bottle garden from Marks and Spencer with my first ever wage packet and managed to kill it in months. I bet you'll have lots more luck, you've got such green fingers as we can see from the photos of your fabulous garden.
    love your wardrobe and the bookcase your clever dad made. That's such a lovely photo of the view of your landing from your bedroom. I love ochre, it reminds me of the Indo-Portuguese houses in Goa.
    Loving the navy dress with the bold print and the groovy top looks wonderful with the tweed jacket and cord skirt.
    These dark, damp, gloomy days are vile, aren't they? I've just ordered a few more fairy lights to add cheer to our house!
    Stay safe! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Well, I'm supposed to have green fingers, but when it comes to house plants I'm sure you are better than me! We'll have to take stock in a couple of months to see if I haven't killed it off!
      I think I need some fairy lights too, yours are fabulous xxx

      Delete
  13. I have a floor length dressing gown/robe in the identical print as your first dress pictured. It was a hand me down from my MIL who got it from a friend. You mention it is vintage, do you know the era? Lise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lise, and thank you so much for dropping by again. I can't be sure, but I think my dress is late 70s or early 80s. What a coincidence! xxx

      Delete
  14. What a beautiful color your cardigan is! It brings out the colors of the blue dress very well! Oh, Ann ... I see we both love books! We always find a "little house" for them. You have a special collection, I've never seen the one with so many lights! The garden, the balcony for us, now needs a lot of care to prepare the plants for winter. Your new plants are delicious ... Let's enjoy nature and stay safe!
    Hugs, Carmela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carmela, and it's always nice to meet a fellow book lover! Our house has books in almost every room, sometimes in double layers. When my Dad passed away, I couldn't bear to get rid of his books so I brought many of them home as well :-) xxx

      Delete
  15. Oh that first outfit is utterly glorious! I love mustard and Cerulean blue combined! I DO love a good beret (I think I do have a rainbow of colours- must look them out!) but now I cycle 5 days a week, I rarely wear them (or indeed most of my hats) which is a HUGE shame! Your two berets featured are wonderful. I DO love how you combined that brooch.
    It's so special to see inside your house- so utterly beautiful and interesting! I also loved to see that little glimpse of your bookshelf! Close up please! I love nosing around book shelves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie! I just LOVE berets and like you have a rainbow of colours. I think I once did a post with some of our bookshelves in it, but I'll try to incorporate some close-ups again soon. I love nosing around book shelves too :-) xxx

      Delete
  16. Your bow front wardrobe is a thing of beauty and I do love all your interesting cases and boxes on top. The colours in your dress are wonderful and I so admire your collection of brooches and coloured tights, they are so hard to find here.
    The bottle garden takes me back , I am sure you will have more success than me. Your selection of plants for your window box is interesting , I do so like the ornamental cabbages. I hope the sun shines for you this week. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill. I picked up those vintage beauty cases in charity shops, and none of them are idle :-) You are the third person to wish me success with the bottle garden, so I hope I manage not to kill it off :-) xxx

      Delete
  17. I purchased a very similar yellow cardigan recently. It's not a colour I wear very often but its so cheery.
    I've got a bit of the thing for Heuchera plants and purchased four during my last visit to a garden centre. They work so nicely with pansies and ornamental cabbages, I might have to steal this combination for my garden :)
    Hurrah for sunny days!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be my guest, Hazel! I do love Heuchera plants too. I think I've got two in the garden and another one in a pot. There are so many varieties and perfect for some Winter colour. XXX

      Delete
  18. I love the way you've used every inch of space, the landing shelves are fab.
    I love the ochre outfit, I love the colour and even the word itself!
    The blackbird photo is wonderful, so beautifully framed with foliage. Speaking of which, I love the new houseplants. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally! My Dad made the book case to measure and it fits perfectly in the landing's recess. We added the shelves later when we ran out of space. It would have been just a useless empty space otherwise. xxx

      Delete
  19. Just stopping by to wish you a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ann, your mustard beret is a delight. I too love wearing hats especially for bad or oily hair days.

    As always I love seeing your 'accidental' Lourdes collection and parts of your house. Your vintage wardrobe and suitcases are stunning. X


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jess! We have quite a few accidental collections, I'm afraid :-) xxx

      Delete