Wednesday 11 November 2020

Mind games

In this strange chunk of time we're inhabiting, frayed at the edges and stretched out of shape like a well worn jumper you once couldn't live without, the very essence of time - as measured by the ticking of clocks - seems to be evaporating into thin air. The memories it leaves behind are full of holes. Ripped apart and scattered like daisy petals. 

My mind is worn thin by the eternal what ifs that keep chasing each other in vain, and that light at the end of the tunnel just keeps on flickering. Now you see it, now you don't.

October's final days aren't far behind us - just a mere fortnight - but already they feel like an eternity ago. My brain is struggling to give meaning to them, and I very much doubt that without the photographical evidence and the often scatty scribbles in my journal, I would remember just what I did with them.

As I've always been known to have excellent memory, this rather scares me. Has that damned virus been nibbling my brain, perhaps?



Skipping Monday, which my journal tells me was a quiet day at the office, we have now arrived on Tuesday 27 October. Looking forward to a bit of a lie in, we were dismayed to be rudely awoken by noisy machinery in the street behind us just after 7. Typically, by the time we were up and having breakfast, things had quietened down. Oh well.

The skirt I built that day's outfit around was another €1 Think Twice find from last year, which I'd grabbed from the rails without trying on, thinking I could always sell it on our flea market stall if it didn't fit. 

I suspect it was someone's handiwork, and its crepey 1980s does 1950s print fabric is fully lined for extra swishiness. 


I paired it with a wide-collared raspberry vintage blouse, its orange buttons tying in with the rust coloured bits in the skirt. Although grey doesn't appear in the skirt's print nor is it a colour I often wear, I thought the dove grey belt and cardigan fit the bill perfectly. 

To the blouse's generous collar, I pinned a vintage swallow brooch, echoing the greys, as did the necklace, which is made up of grey, black and orange discs.




The day was dismal and grey, with a persistent drizzle driven horizontally by a chilly wind which, aided by a temperature barely out of single figures, ruled out any outdoor activities.

I cracked on with the slow and tedious process of deep-cleaning the kitchen, but called it a day at the hard to reach bits on top of the cabinets. However, Jos did take down the light pendant to release it of its greasy layer of dust. What slobs we are!

The pendant, by the way, was a leftover from a charity shop retro event a couple of years ago, which we snapped up after its price was significantly reduced.


It might not all be squeaky clean (yet) but the sight of our makeshift kitchen with its motley collection of kitchenalia never fails to put a smile on my face!

I was back at the office on Wednesday, taking a break around lunch time for a visit to my hairdresser. What a stroke of luck, as it turned out they would have to close again in just a handful of days!
 


The weather didn’t look too bad when we got up on Thursday morning, and in fact, we got some sunshine mid-morning to early afternoon, with highs of about 14°C.

While Jos went food shopping, I walked into the village and went to Kruidvat - the Low Countries' answer to Superdrug - and stocked up on soaps, body lotion, hand cream and an assortment of other care essentials, as we were expecting the announcement of another lockdown on Friday. 

I also cheekily bought a brand new dress from a boutique which is closing down, which you'll get to see later in this post.

Both back at home, we put away the shopping and had lunch. Then I grabbed my camera and popped out into the garden to photograph the mix of Summer colour and Autumn splendour. 



I pottered around upstairs and it was only by mid-afternoon that I realized we hadn't done outfit photos yet. By then, of course, the clouds had chased away the last of the sunshine, and it had started raining.

There was nothing for it but to take our photos inside, where lighting conditions are far from ideal. These were the best of the bunch.

My long-sleeved tartan print Diolen dress came out to play and, taking the lead from its main colour, I added a green cardigan and opaques. The necklace, with its pale green mottled beads, was a recent charity shop find which didn't make it to the blog, while the navy belt with its cream buckle used to be my Mum's. The black floral brooch was a flea market find.



With chillier weather on the horizon, I played around with my coat wardrobe, exchanging some of the lighter weight coats for these two warmer ones.

Friday was a strange day, on which I couldn't settle to anything.  The powers that be had been in a meeting since 1 pm to decide on further measurements and even if we already suspected the outcome, we kept checking the news every half hour or so. It would take them until 19.00 to do a press conference, by which time my nerves were shattered. 


To cheer myself up, I wore the cheeky dress I'd bought the previous day, a midi shirt dress with a slightly nipped in waist, in a gorgeous teal printed with purple and caramel flowers. 

I added a tan belt at my waist, and topped it with a cardigan in exactly the same shade of burnt orange as my opaques. My wooden beaded necklace added another colourful note in orange, purple and fuchsia, while I echoed the teal of my dress by adding a ring and flower corsage in the same colour.



As the dress is unlined, a vintage slip came to the rescue! 

To stave off the frustration of waiting for the government announcement, I threw myself headlong into the seasonal shoe changeoever, putting away the last of the Summer shoes and getting out the tall boots I'll soon be living in. Most of the current season's shoes are stored in a tower of purple IKEA shoe boxes in the spare room.

I also had a massive decluttering session, resulting in bags of no longer worn shoes, ready for when the charity shops re-open.



Saturday dawned to a spirit soaring, golden Autumn day, again with temperatures of about 14°C.

I'd woken up in a sweat overnight, thinking of a couple more things we were in need of to tide us over until Mid-December, so after breakfast I returned to the village and joined the short queue in front of Kruidvat. 

There were longer queues elsewhere and that night we were horrified to see the images of crowded city streets all over the news. What happened to social distancing?  Do people value the purchase of Primark tat over the threat of a devastating virus? What a world!




We opted to make the most of the sunshine while it lasted by going for a short stroll in a neighbouring village. 

Regular readers might recall previous visits to this domain surrounding the Neoclassical manor house called Hof ter Linden. The house itself is in a sorry state and its restauration apparently once again postponed, while its stable courtyard has been largely completed by now.



We circled the lake which lies at the back of the house, crunching through delicious leafy layers and sampling the soul-restoring hurrah of colour and scent.

I was wearing one of the coats I'd exchanged on Friday and my feet were happy to be wearing this slightly worn but very comfortable pair of boots.



I'll gladly show you what I was wearing underneath the coat, starting with one of the latest additions to my skirt wardrobe, featuring an Autumnal melange of bottle green, ochre and reddish brown.

My pussy-bow blouse is an old habitué of my wardrobe, and its print complemented the skirt's colours perfectly. On top, I added a yellow batwing cardigan, which is H&M by way of a charity shop.




Accessories included a knitted belt with a large round wooden buckle, a vintage scarf clip to tame the pussy-bow and my ceramic Merhorse brooch. 



It is a joy to be outside on days like this, with a hint of an earthly aroma lingering in the air, the ground carpeted with a Summer's worth of leaves. Although it is quite disconcerting to see how much greenery still remains on this last day of October.



The last day of October, and Hallowe'en, for those who celebrate the occasion. Apart from the odd jack-o'-lantern and the rare as hen's teeth spookily decorated homes, there hasn't been quite the enthusiasm for Hallowe'en here as there was in years past.

But sometimes nature provides its own decoration, right in front of our very own kitchen window.

A word of warning though: arachnophobes, please do stop scrolling right here!





To those who have made it to the other side without screaming, I'm urging you to stay safe and sane, wherever you are!


42 comments:

  1. Hello Ann. Sorry I've missed a few of your blogs. The nursing home where my dad is has just re-opened, so have spent a fair bit of time checking on him.

    Also sorry to hear you're about to head into another lockdown. Agghh! We've just come out of a 4 month lockdown, so I feel for you. It's not all bad news though, as so many people have used the time productively, learning new skills, decorating their homes/gardens and spending valuable time with their family. I hope you can find something that brings you joy to fill in the days. I finally learnt to sew, which I've wanted to do for at least 30 years and I finally made the commitment to learn.

    Anyway, at least we still have this avenue of connection, where we are dazzled by your lovely outfits. So much to love here too, your dresses are gorgeous. The green check one is perfect for the upcoming Xmas season. I also really like the orange and teal dress, with the orange cardigan. Autumnal colours definitely flatter you. Included in my favourites is your brown coat, the pussy bow blouse and your boot collection.

    Thank you for the sneak peak into your kitchen. I love it, it's so full of charm and vintage kitchenalia, which is right up my alley.

    Hope you get to have some more beautiful autumnal days to kick leaves in beautiful parklands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry about it Suzy! I'm glad you are able to spend some time with your Dad after not having been able to for so long! A 4-month lockdown sounds quite severe, but at least it had the required result. I do hope people will be as disciplined here, but with Christmas around the corner, I very much doubt they will :-( xxx

      Delete
  2. Delurking to say, I envy your ability to wear what you want to work. I'm in a uniform and about as individual I can get is the colour of my cardigan!

    Stay safe..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment! I know I'm very lucky being able to wear what I want. I haven't had to wear a uniform ever, not even at school! xxx

      Delete
  3. thanks for the spider! ts.
    the 80s skirt is fab - love the print and colors.... did pack away the trench and out came the woolen coats too - and the boots. the one pair of tall boots i own to be exactly ;-D
    the autumnal park looks gorgeous!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fascinating watching that spider's antics, so we just let it be. Now that it has finally departed, we can once again clean that window :-) xxx

      Delete
  4. Haha the best halloween decoration ever.... screeeeeeeaaaaaam! 😂
    It's such a creepy year, this 2020 and I understand all your feelings. Good we can go outside in the nature, for deep breathing and fresh up our mind.
    You look amazing and well dressed on every day. ❤️
    Stay healthy Ann. With a very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! I hope you didn't really scream, though :-) xxx

      Delete
  5. You was lucky to get the hairdresser appointment Ann! I bet loads of women are fuming that they didn't get theirs done. I like the tweed classic coats. They look really cosy too. nd you have a good selection of boots there! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! The same happened at the time of the first lockdown! xxx

      Delete
  6. You write so poetically Ann. I wonder if some day your lovely introductory words might end up listed in some history book that will speak of this strange year. Your metaphors are poignant and you capture the confusing times we live in so well. It is a hard where time seems to be warped indeed. Since I stopped working, I have completely lost sense of time and it has only been a week or so!

    I love the skirt you built your first outfit around. Such a lovely Think Twice find, the print is marvelous. The combination of grey and red works like a charm. I really like the grey belt you wore there.
    It is lovely that you managed to book an appointment with a hairdresser before the lockdown. Great idea to organize and clear your winter shoes. I should do the same. You have a fabulous collection of boots.
    I really like your green styling as well. That green tones tartan dress is gorgeous and I like how you wore it with green accessories. I love green, especially with plaid and tartan fabrics.
    The new shirt dress you bought is a beauty. This shade of blue is so lovely and the purple and caramel floral pattern is simply stunning. Great idea to wear a vintage slip underneath it. This dress looks great on you, so nice you managed to find it.
    The outfit with that gorgeous printed skirt and pussy-bow blouse is fabulous. I really like the boots you wore with it and the eye-catching cropped yellow cardigan. Another fab styling. You're always well dressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Ivana, you have made me very happy - while shedding a little tear - with your heartwarming comment on my writing. That really means the world to me! xxx

      Delete
  7. I love to admire your accessories, brooches, necklaces beautifully matched to your clothes! Beautiful your dress with purple and caramel flowers and her adorable cardigan! (Wow, the flower brooch!). I looked in my wardrobe with different "eyes", thanks to you! ... The sweet little spider? Well, during a walk in Ibla, with my brother Davide, we photographed a really giant one and then we silently ... ran away !! An affectionate hug ..Carmela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carmela, and how lovely that I made you look at your wardrobe with different eyes! I'm not afraid of spiders, but I'm not sure I wouldn't have run away from that giant one you're describing :-) xxx

      Delete
  8. I've been feeling really bewildered these days, not only because of the annoying time change. Probably I'm missing some fresh air and excursions. Once we're allowed to go outside the city, I'll be better for sure.
    Love your Think Twice skirt and the wide collared blouse and the fab color combo (grey works nicely!).
    And your tartan dress is such a stunning piece and your matchy cardi and tights make it shine!, brilliant!.
    Love your 'cheeky dress', its floral print and colors!, love the rusty orange and teal accessories!, those are fab colors!
    And love to see you kicking leaves in your lovely brown and mustard ensemble, looking so gorgeous!. And love the bits of green, the cute brooches!
    Not a problem with spiders, if they keep away from my hair or my face (ughhh). But I like that they eat annoying bugs, so they're nice and beneficial creatures!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! I do hope you'll be allowed to go outside your city soon. There's nothing like a bit of fresh air and time spent in nature to combat these gloomy days - in all senses of the word! xxx

      Delete
  9. You do have a wonderfully poetic turn of phrase, Ann!
    I detest spiders but can just about live with that tiny one you captured, it's the way they move that freaks me out the most.
    Thank goodness you managed to get your hair done and stock up on toiletries before lockdown 2.0.
    I love your colourful outfits, particularly the middle one, you were right to treat yourself, the colours are gorgeous. Such a fabulous coat and boot collection too, you really are winter ready.
    Thanks for taking me on your walks, what views to lift the spirits.
    One week in lockdown done...time's flying! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! I'm fine with spiders, but I'm certainly not a fan of those big house spiders! This one was just outside our kitchen window, and it was fascinating watching its antics. As for the toiletries, I didn't really have to stock up after all, as it later turned out shops selling self-care products were allowed to stay open! xxx

      Delete
  10. Impacted short-term memory issues are relatively common during times of intense stress/anxiety/trauma, dear Ann, and goodness knows that 2020 has absolutely abounded with each of these things. It is endlessly understandable that one might not always remember everything that has happened when living under the weight of these kinds of circumstances. Goodness knows that I can certainly think of chapters of my life when such was the case.

    Please know that this is can fairly normal and that, unless it persists and/or worsens severely, may not be cause for serious alarm (*though, I am, of course, not a medical professional, so am only speaking from general knowledge and personal experience*).

    Tons of hugs & happy mid-November wishes coming your way,
    Autumn Zenith 🎃 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Autumn, I'd been reading up about the mental issues resulting from the Covid-19 situation, and yes, it seems it can impact short-term memory issues. I am not overly worried, but it's very annoying nonetheless! xxx

      Delete
  11. It's the strangest of years, normality has flown.
    I like your autumn dressing, especially the burnt orange and teal, they are a perfect combination.
    Walks in nature keep us sane too.
    Wishing you a happy weekend Ann. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally! It's strange to think that soon it will be Christmas again, shortly followed by the dawn of another year, while it feels as if this one hasn't even begun! xxx

      Delete
  12. Just stopping by to wish you a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind, Ivana, I do hope you had a lovely weekend too! xxx

      Delete
  13. I absolutely loved the green outfit and the new dress looks amazing! The Merhorse brooch is fantastic and how unusual. It's a very long time since I've seen a knitted belt...

    I'm glad you managed to get your essential items before your lockdown began. In the first lockdown we could only do click and collect at our Superdrug; but in this lockdown it's open. It feels like a different lockdown altogether as quite a lot of the shops remain open; and many of the cafes and restaurants are doing takeaways; the schools are open and the traffic is similar to non lockdown times.

    I hope you continue to get out into the places you love whilst your lockdown is on. It's so important to get out and about and have a change of scenery; especially into nature and green spaces.

    I am in awe of your long coloured boot collection; I only possess black, brown and tan long boots and have rarely seen coloured long boots in our charity shops.

    Take care and stay safe,
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true that it feels like a totally different lockdown and here too traffic is similar to pre-lockdown, especially now that our schools have re-opened this week, after their extended holiday. After I queued for those final, essential items, I found out the shop would remain open. Oh well! xxx

      Delete
  14. I really like that tartan dress on you and the orange and teal is a wonderful combination I need to wear more often! I'm frequently forgetting things - I forgot an appointment today! - and I find the days are so repetitive. I'm glad for the safety and security of being able to be home so much though, but it makes it hard to recall different days as they are all so similar! :) And we only had about 6 weeks of Iso!

    Hope that you are having a great weekend :) It's a hot one here!

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica! I'm relieved to hear that I'm not alone in being forgetful, which I'm sure is the result of the sameness of the days. Here, temperatures have finally dropped under 10°C, which I'm sure sounds very cold to you :-) xxx

      Delete
  15. I love your kitchen! I'm sitting in mine thinking of yours. :-) All the best! Regula

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi good night I'm Brazilian. All right? I want to present my Blogger on culture, travel and tourism. I would like to invite you to follow my Blogger.

    https://viagenspelobrasilerio.blogspot.com/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Luiz. I'll pop over to your blog later! xxx

      Delete
  17. Ann, sorry to hear you are in another lockdown. Keep yourself busy, or relax. Whatever works for you.

    I adore your green tartan outfit and orange outfit. Stunning!

    And your kitchen is so gorgeous. You and Vix seem to have matching kitchen walls. X


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jess. So far, I've been able to keep myself busy. In fact, I haven't been bored for one single minute ever since things went pear-shaped back in March! xxx

      Delete
  18. Ooh, your new dress is excellent. You deserve a treat!

    I think it's hard to recall what we do each day because so many days are very similar - there are no big events for less dramatic days to happen before and after. It's like big events are pegs other days drape off and around, and without the pegs we're left with a lot of similar days in a heap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mim! I'm glad I popped into that shop, as in all probability it won't re-open again after lockdown.
      That's a very apt description of the days being left in a heap without the pegs of the big events! xxx

      Delete
  19. We have the same coat! (the Dorothy Perkins one on the left) that new dress is so you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gisela, and imagine us two having the same coat. I bought it in a charity shop here. Who knows how it got there as we do not even have Dorothy Perkins! xxx

      Delete
  20. We have one of those tabby orb spiders who has taken up residence on our porch- she's stretched right across the bush! For some reason, the colour makes me fear them less than the nasty leggy ones with double knees and darker bodies.
    The new dress is sublime! I do love a good midi shirt dress! I've had fun dressing this week for school so far- I plan to wear skirts and dresses all week- I wish I'd photographed my outfits!
    Your coats are great!

    I know your introduction was about the weirdness and gloom of this time, but it was so beautifully phrased and described!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those spiders tend to take up residence in the most inconvenient of places. This particular one's pal was stretched the length of the passageway next to our kitchen, and her web got inadvertently damaged by me every time I went to the compost bin or to water the plants in the window box. Yet, she kept on repairing her web each and every time! xxx

      Delete
  21. I love your first outfit, it proves that grey can be interesting! (It’s one of my favourite colours).
    Your kitchen is lovely, it has a very unique character, why do people have to match everything these days?
    How lucky to have booked a hair appointment at just the right time. I’ve taken to cutting my own hair, it doesn’t look to bad as long as you don’t study it closely.
    Your garden still has so much colour and beauty, mine has all faded and the lovely autumnal coloured leaves have been blown away!
    I’m loving your new dress, I love that the buttons are a contrast to the colours of the dress.
    Why do they take so long to get the government announcements over and done with. Ours kept being put back and by the time they came on air the press had already leaked every aspect of it anyway. It’s madness.
    I hope you're both well
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hazel! I do not often wear grey, except as an accent colour like I did here. I did tend to wear grey a lot when I was younger, and less colourful!
      Our kitchen is my favourite room in the house. The only things I'd like to replace are the tired old cabinets at the other - not photographed - end, and the bothersome white tiled floor! xxx

      Delete