Sunday 5 March 2017

A year in the life

I know what I did on the 5th of March last year! Yes, today it's exactly one year ago that I took my first hesitant steps in the world of blogging!


It's not that I got up that morning and decided to give blogging a go. No, I had been playing with the idea for quite a while.

The final push was given to me by my friend Inez, whom I had been regularly sending "blog posts" in the form of emails, regaling her with what I'd been up to during the weekend and the treasures I'd found. Sounds familiar?


At one point, after we'd been talking about our ironing (or rather, non-ironing) habits, I sent her an email on that topic, in which the Polyester Princess name for my possible blog first cropped up. That was in August 2015, yet it still took me until March 2016 to finally take the plunge.

I began at the beginning, and my first post contained part of the text I'd originally sent to Inez.


I sat back and hoped against all hope that someone, apart from Inez and a couple of my other real life friends, would read what I'd written, so I was totally flabbergasted when I received comments from several of you whose blogs I'd been following behind the scenes for quite a while. In fact, my first comment from someone I didn't know personally, was from ... Vix, closely followed by Jessica, Mim and Curtise!

Needless to say, I was on cloud 9 for days!



At first, I mainly did outfit posts, telling a little bit about what I was wearing and where I'd bought it, as well as posts about my latest charity shop or flea market finds.

As we progressed into Spring, and then Summer, my posts progressed too and became more adventurous.


Posing for outfit photos didn't come naturally to me, either. Jos would often tell me my posture and facial expression were too artificial. Slowly but surely, I became more confident, and I started to look more at ease in photographs. Finding "the wall" as a backdrop so early on was a bonus as it was a great help in developing my own style. Having a husband who knows how to take a portrait is a great help too ... I couldn't have done it without him!



All in all, it has been quite a learning curve. I learned so many things, including things I didn't know about myself. For instance, I discovered how much I like the actual writing part of blogging ... I've always had a longing to write, but I didn't think I'd be any good, so never did anything about it.



As a school girl, I kept a diary for a couple of years, and I'm forever regretting that I didn't keep them. This blog has been my diary for the past year, giving my life the kind of structure it was lacking. It's satisfying to be able to look back over the past twelve months, and know that I actually did things. It's not all just a blur. It makes the concept of time just that little more tangible.


And what a year it has been. I could never have anticipated my dad's passing away, nor the solace I would get from writing about it, which was cathartic.

Never in a million years did I think I'd be writing posts about subjects as diverse as my grandfather's ancient typewriter ...














a nostalgic trip to the seaside ...














a rather wet Welsh holiday in June ...


a gloriously sunny one in Belgium's Westhoek in September ...


my first pair of shoes found at the back of a cupboard in my parents' bedroom ...


or a post inspired by Winnie-the-Pooh!


And never, in my wildest dreams, would I have thought it possible that one year later, I would be publishing my 98th post, and that I would still have things to talk about. And outfits to show!

The most wonderful thing of all is that, through this first year of blogging, I have made so many friends, even if we haven't (yet) met in real life.

So, dear friends and readers, I am thanking you all for bearing with me, for indulging me and - most of all - for having been made to feel so welcome in the wonderful world of blogging.

I would never have made it this far without your continuing support!

A big hug to you all xxx

38 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! I have loved reading your blog, even if I am mostly filled with envy at your handbags and brooches. Here's to the next 12 months x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the first blogging milestone Ann! I love reading about your bargains and your walks. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 1st Anniversary Ann. Your posts are always a jolly good read and you're an excellent writer. One thing we have in common is our discomfort at posing and the pleasure of looking back over the past few months activities. Looking forward to the next Polyester Princess year. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona, glad you appreciate my ramblings ... xxx

      Delete
  4. Only a year? Happy Blogoversary - I have certainly enjoyed your posts and look forward to more of the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was wonderful to read Ann and I think your blog is brilliant and as you know we are clothes twins. Thanks to Vix blog I found you and I love seeing what you get upto and what you find
    Here's to another year in blog land
    Lynn xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn, and I'm so glad we found each other thanks to Vix! xxx

      Delete
  6. congratulations to you 1. blog birthday!!
    and thank you for this firework of fabulous colorful clothes! i´m sooo glad i found you in this big www.! your unique taste in clothes and your wonderful writing and jos´ photographie - yours too!! - makes it a pure pleasure to follow you via this diary!
    exactly half a hour earlier today i talked with the BW about how cool it is to have such a diary - we often look to years old posts - especially the travel themed :-)
    huge hugs and much love!! xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I'm so glad I found you too, Beate! xxx

      Delete
  7. Happy first birthday to your blog! I'm glad to know you and hope one day we'll meet, you're one of my favourite bloggers xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's so sweet, Melanie. I'm sure we'll meet one day, and I am already looking forward to it. xxx

      Delete
  8. Happy blog-birthday! I'm so glad that you began to blog and share your thrifting, your outfits and all the thoughts and opinions (that's the best part)
    I agree about blogging as a reference in time, and how fabulous is meeting people (even we met only via web, but I'm also looking forward to meet you 'in person')
    besos & felicidades

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Monica. I love seeing your colourful outfits too. I'm sure we'd recognize each other straight away if we were to meet. xxx

      Delete
  9. what a fabulous year happy anniversary Icant believe youve only been blogging a year you are so skilled at it and so many followers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Blog-versary!! Blogland's all the better for having you in it!
    I love that I was the first to comment! Here's to the next year of fabulous, interesting and beautifully written blog posts! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix. I'll never ever forget you were the first to comment. xxx

      Delete
  11. Happy Blogversary!

    I had no idea you've only been blogging for a year. You really come across as a well seasoned pro. Especially with your vast collections and knowledge of vintage items.

    I agree about using the blog as a bit of an online diary. I've been doing this for over 9 years now and I often use the blog to see what I was up to in the past.

    You are lucky to have a husband to take your photos. It becomes much more natural and spontaneous.

    Keep up the great work!

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzanne. It feels like I've been blogging forever ... xxx

      Delete
  12. Happy blogiversary. It is always fun seeing what you've found at the flea markets, and places you've visited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Goody. I hope you are keeping well. Miss you. xxx

      Delete
  13. I am very glad you decided to be a blogger! I like your posts and behind your words and photos we readers can get your sensitiveness and richness...Happy blog anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Blog Birthday!!! Well I'm so glad we stumbled across each other. I adore your beautiful and nostalgic blog!! Here is to many more years of the Polyester Princess.

    Wow! I love your grandparents typewriter!

    Happy thrifting ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It means a lot if you think my blog is beautiful and nostalgic, as that is what I set it out to be. xxx

      Delete
  15. Excellent! A happy blogiversary to you! It's a lovely community I think and we're glad you're here.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivy. I agree that it's a lovely community. xxx

      Delete
  16. Congratulations on your first year of blogging, Ann! Your description of starting to blog, gaining confidence and skills, and continuing to enjoy the process and the online friendships, all remind me very much of how I felt (and still feel) about it.
    And I am drooling over all the fabulously colourful outfits and prints - you have some maxis there I would dearly love to wear myself!
    Here's to many more years of blogging and beautiful vintage finds. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Curtise. I much appreciate your comment. I'd been following your blog before I was blogging, and I was always drooling over your outfits too ... xxx

      Delete
  17. Ah happy blogiversary! I didn't realise your blog was so 'new'. I always enjoy reading your posts, seeing what you've found on your charity shop and flea market trips. I'm always amazed by the things you find.
    I love writing too, if I didn't have a blog I don't know what I'd write about. I started out all about fashion but my blog has evolved with me, now I can chatter away about all sorts of nonsense!
    Here's to another enjoyable year of blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I can see from your blog that you love writing, Hazel, and I think it's only natural that ones blog evolves, just like ones life does. xxx

      Delete
  18. Congratulations on your first blogoversary! Has it really only been a year? I feel as though I've been enjoying your blog forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mim, it feels like I've been blogging since yesterday and forever at the same time. xxx

      Delete
  19. MANY congratulations dear Ann! It is lovely to know you and I really enjoy your beautiful, bright and vintage blog. It is lovely the way we make these friendships. I am so sorry for your loss of your Father, but like you, when I lost my Grandad a few years ago, the blogging community showed it really cared. Here's to the next 20 years1!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie, and it's lovely to know you too! xxx

      Delete