Saturday 13 August 2016

Great expectations

Last Sunday, it was finally time for another flea market. This one is being held every year in a neighbouring village on the first Sunday of August, and we are always looking forward to it.



The organizers must have struck a deal with the weather gods, as they usually manage to have good weather.

I remember several years when it was so hot we had to wear sunhats and we were glad of any stalls offering some shade under umbrellas or awnings.

One year, I had to buy a scarf to cover my neck in order to avoid sunburn while looking down at the goodies on offer.











This year we had a mixture of sunshine and clouds and although it was quite windy, making me regret the dress with the swingy skirt I wore, rain never threatened to make an appearance.



The flea market is very well organized with parking space offered in some nearby fields. Due to the abundance of rain, the fields were too waterlogged to be used this year and parking was further away on an industrial site, from where a shuttle bus whisked you free-of-charge to the flea market itself.

Although we love this market, with its variety of stalls set up along the streets, it can still be a bit hit-or-miss.



Two years ago, we hit the jackpot, as not only did we find a huge lot of the 1960s Boch pottery we are collecting, Jos also hit upon this 1960s wall-mounted Philips record player, which needed some TLC but is now taking pride of place in our living room, where it is occasionally spinning a vintage record.

2014


2015






Last year, in contrast, was less successful, but I still managed to pick up this vintage summer dress and a pretty basket which is now holding my button collection.


Needless to say, we had great expectations this year, but in spite of the many lovely things on offer, we only bought a few odds and ends.










It was still fun, though, as well as a great workout, as we walked (or rather, sauntered) without pause for almost four hours. Were we glad to finally get back on that bus!











Here is what we found:


A Bakelite razor, made in England. Although we aren't avid collectors of Bakelite, we still pick up the odd item here and there, when the price is right.











A stack of plastic bangles found at different stalls.











More brooches, obviously. Flea markets are the place to pick them up cheaply.

The little purse in the bottom right photo is a travel sewing kit.



These two cream plastic rose brooches are vintage, and made in France. They are not that rare but you can still expect to pay around € 5 for them. These were € 0,50 each, so I did not hesitate and took them both, even though I already had one in my collection. At another stall, a similar brooch was priced at € 7. One of the brooches has already found its way to a new owner, in the form of a present.

The blue rose is a huge plastic ring.



A small enamel flower-decorated teapot, which will join the plain olive green one we already have.


This white vintage handbag was waiting for me at one of the last stalls, and I snapped it up at € 3.
And no, I really didn't make him, Jos insisted on carrying it!


All in all, we had a great day!


August, in fact, is a great time for flea markets, with several coming up shortly.

Let's hope summer comes up trumps with some lovely weather for them.


Dress and bag (seen in first photo): Think Twice
Cardigan, beads and belt: retail
Shoes and (free) brooch: flea market

26 comments:

  1. I cannot resist a pretty teapot! And what beautiful bangles!! Will you wear them all together!

    You and Jos found many pretty things! And no tedious parking lots, since you took a bus! Looks like a fun day indeed!

    Happy thrifting ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably not wear the bangles together but who knows? I couldn't resist the teapot either, even though it's a little bit battered. xxx

      Delete
  2. I wonder what the Manson Family heads were all about?

    You always find the prettiest brooches. I like the idea of a shuttle bus at a fair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering the same, Goody. They do look as bit scary, especially that bearded one ;-) I'm always on the lookout for brooches at flea markets, in fact, I already picked up a few others in the meantime ... xxx

      Delete
  3. Jos is a good fellow, carrying your bag for you. Suits him actually ;) I'm a big fan of exercise which you don't quite notice you're doing because you're enjoying yourself. That wall-mounted record player is a bit special and I love the photo of you two in the mirror together. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally with you on the exercise thing, Tania ;-) xxx

      Delete
  4. Love that photo of the two of you reflected in the mirror. Jos is a fantastic handbag model, hope he let you have it back afterwards!
    Your exploring outfit is lovely and so are your finds. I'm a sucker for a bit of vintage enamel and those bangles are blinking gorgeous! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrying that handbag was the least he could do, as I've lost count of the times he's asked me if I had space for his wallet in my bag ... xxx

      Delete
  5. Jos knows how to tote a bag! (Tell him to buy his own ;-) )

    That wall-mounted record player was an excellent find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Jos hadn't worked at Philips eons ago, we would never have spotted this record player. We paid € 10 for it, but I've seen it on sale for € 100 plus. xxx

      Delete
  6. I chuckled at Jos carrying your handbag. Philip is very good at being the packhorse when we go foraging.
    Did the car boot start early ? I don't do early I'm afraid. A friend of ours gets to them for 6am. I thought there was only one 6 o'clock in the day.
    Looks like you had a good day xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jos is very good at being the packhorse too ;-) These flea markets can start anywhere between 6 and 9 am, but we're never there early as we don't want to rush during the weekend. We might miss some things, but we still find enough stuff to keep us happy! xxx

      Delete
  7. pretty pink-blue ensemble you´r wearing!
    4h "fleamarketing"! wow! and i guess you both are cracks at looking at stalls and layouts there - so no wasting time :-)
    fab finds and jos with handbag is totally cute!
    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite a big market, Beate, with street after street of stalls. I guess that after years of practice, we are getting to be quite good at it. You definitely develop "an eye" for things. xxx

      Delete
  8. Hello lovely!
    I am so sorry I have not been around recently. I've actually been on a cruise for almost 2 weeks and before I was in France for a week! I do apologise for the lack of blog presence and comments. I do hope you are well!
    I LOVE your finds. You pick things with the perfect colours! The brooches are gorgeous as is that teapot!!!! I've never been to a boot sale- I'd really like to!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's really no need to apologize! I knew you were on a cruise, and in fact I'm really looking forward to reading about your adventures. I hope you had a great time! xxx

      Delete
  9. I love a good vintage flea market! It's so much fun to be able to browse all the stalls and bargain a little bit - shopping online and in specialty stores all the time gets so expensive. It looks like you found quite a few nice little treasures, well done!
    Zella Maybe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica. In fact, I very much prefer shopping at a flea market than online. As for specialty stores, they are usually too expensive. It's the thrill of finding a bargain that does it! xxx

      Delete
  10. The brooches are great and I'm loving the basket bag

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That basket was a bit more expensive than what I'd usually pay. It's just perfect for my button collection, although it would make a nice handbag too. xxx

      Delete
  11. Fabulous finds! Perhaps it's because we have soooo few vintage related venues around here, but I'd consider this year's haul a bumper crop, so to speak, if I returned home with such. You guys did great and really did pick up some charming new pieces. Many happy congrats on each of them!

    xoxo ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica. I guess we are quite lucky with all the flea markets going on here ... Not all of them are good though. xxx

      Delete
  12. I love the travel sewing Kit! It is something I would have bought too...it remind me a tiny travel chess set I bought in a flea market...
    A button collection in a basket is relly cute! I should find an adequate place for keeping mine!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a handbag and purse in a similar design as the sewing kit, so that is a bonus. My buttons used to be in a tin, but that basket is so much better and handier ... xxx

      Delete
  13. Love that teapot!

    How many handbags do you have?

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will count them for you one day, Melanie, although I'm not sure I will be brave enough to admit the number in public ;-)

      Delete