Tuesday 27 February 2024

A miscellany of February days

Never mind it being the shortest month, February seems to be dragging on and on as usual, and this year being a leap year makes it seem even longer!

Spring might seem to be around the corner with the above average temperatures luring nature out of hibernation, there has been a distinct lack of sunshine and an overdose of rain. Nevertheless, there's no mistaking that the days are getting longer, and for the last week or two daylight has been accompanying me on my commute, both in the mornings and the evenings.

With the overall gloominess of the weather, one should grab the opportunities to catch those rare rays of sunshine whenever they occur. Which, of course, is easier said that done when one is cooped up in an office all day!



And so it was that on Monday the 12th of February the weather gods sent us oodles of sunny spells, as if to make up for the abysmal weather of the weekend. 

As a lunchbreak errand was taking me into its direction, I decided to walk to the Botanic Garden afterwards. 

For the sake of variety, I opted for a different route this time, passing the neoclassical Bourla Theatre. Designed in 1827 by architect Pierre Bourla, construction started in 1829 but was delayed due to the Belgian Revolution. Eventually, the theatre was completed in 1834, and currently houses a theatre company called Toneelhuis. 

As I was taking its photo from under what must be Antwerp's most attractive bus shelter, I watched a would-be juggler rather unsuccessfully rehearsing his routine (above, top left). 

On the roof of the modern apartment building opposite the theatre is another pair of Albert Szukalski's ghostly figures. Apparently, these ones are called The Cripple and The Blind.



Soon after passing the theatre, I reached the garden's nearest entrance (below, top left), which for some reason is currently closed off. There was nothing for it but to continue past the garden's ornate stone  balustrade which is topped with equally ornate late 19th Century cast iron lamp posts until the main entrance was reached.

The garden lies well below street level, which makes it feel very sheltered.  Dominating it is the statue of its founder, Peter van Coudenberghe, a pharmacist and botanist who lived during the 16th century (above, bottom right).

Apart from the ubiquitous clumps of snowdrops, there were several Spring snowflakes (Leucojum vernum, above, bottom left) already in bloom. This is a much taller growing bulb which usually has more than one flower per stem. Isn't it gorgeous?



And speaking of gorgeous: I absolutely loved this pale pink liver-spotted Hellebore, which initially resisted having its photo taken. I was suffering from a - thankfully minor and short-lived - backache that day, but still crouched down to have a better look and almost had to ask a passer-by to help me up again. 

The weather gods' good mood continued into Tuesday and remained until mid-afternoon, with the temperature still a moderate 10°C.




Again for the sake of variety, I took a slightly different route to the office after Jos had dropped me off.
I ended up right in front of the main entrance of the so-called Boerentoren, the Art Deco skyscraper which has now been under renovation for two and a half years. As part of these, the glass awning in front of the entrance had recently been removed, allowing an uninterrupted view of the eight bronze caryatids by sculptor Arthur Pierre (1866-1938) which are taking pride of place above the entrance doors. The caryatids depict the classical themes of Commerce, Art, Science, Agriculture, Prosperity, Technology, Architecture and Shipping. 




It was the half-term break in Flanders - the one we call the Crocus holidays - and Antwerp's main shopping street was inundated with people. Still, for the sake of another errand I braved the crowds, for which I was rewarded with a pair of Miz Mooz shoes at half-price.



Rather than being enamoured by their box, Bess was intrigued by the paper bag they came in ... Weirdly enough, she doesn't seem to grasp the concept of cats and boxes!

The rest of the working week was a grey affair, the temperature eventually climbing to a very unseasonable 17°C on Thursday. But at least it stayed dry for long enough to make it back from my hairdresser's appointment without the rain ruining my coiffure! 



I'd taken Friday off, hoping against hope for the weather to change for the better. Alas, it was another grey and rainy day, even though the mercury managed to climb to a mild 14°C.

I wore this chiffony olive green vintage dress, whose colour the camera insisted on picking up as a grey rather than a green. My blog tells me it was a charity shop find back in April 2022, when I fell for its funky pattern, pussy bow and pleated skirt. 



I added one of my cameo brooches to tame the bow, pinned a crochet and pearl flower corsage to the dress's bodice and accented my waist with one of my stretchy belts. 

An orange perspex ring from flea market friend Rita and a coral charity shopped King Louie cardigan completed my outfit.



As the weather kept refusing to play nicely we went for another rummage, visiting the charity shop we'd been obliged to give a miss the week before.

Finds were plentiful again that day, starting with a yellow printed Wow To Go blouse and a fabulous blue, black and burgundy patterned skirt by & Other Stories in a thick blanket-like fabric.

In spite of my self-imposed coat and jacket ban, this plaid swing jacket came home with me as well. 

Both the skirt and the jacket have already been worn in the meantime.



My final find was one with a bit of a hiccup. When I spotted these raspberry pink suede Tamaris boots which to my delight turned out to be a size 37 (UK size 4), they were instantly added to my cart and taken to the fitting rooms. After trying on the blouse, skirt and jacket, I quickly tried on the left boot only, as this is my so-called difficult foot. All seemed to be okay so I was happy to hand over the princely sum of € 5,90 for them.



Back at home, I was about to show them off to Jos, when I found myself hobbling around. Turned out that both the sole and heel of the left boot were considerably higher than those of the right one. Their original owner must have had one leg shorter than the other ...

I could have hit myself for not having noticed this in the shop, and was about to add them to the donations bag, when Jos suggested taking them to the cobbler. The guy didn't bat an eyelid when Jos told him the story and did a fantastic job. At a multiple of the price I paid for the boots, obviously. But never mind that: they are totally worth it! Now all I need is some dry weather so that I can actually wear them.




Saturday was grey, but mainly dry, for once and at 13°C again quite mild for the time of year.

My tweedy turquoise skirt - an old Think Twice find - came out to play that day, its companion a recently charity black blouse with a groovilicious blue, yellow, tan and white pattern. 




I found the brooch, which was made from a shard of old pottery, at an antiques and collectors fair taking place on Ludlow's Castle Square last June.

My burnt orange tiled necklace, a regular of the blog, was a charity shop find, as was the tan belt which picked up the tan from the blouse's pattern. The perspex ring - in yellow this time - is another one from Rita's flea market stall.



I spent the morning doing some long overdue kitchen cleaning. Although Jos diligently cleans floors and surfaces on a weekly basis, deep-cleaning our burgeoning collection of kitchenalia often falls by the wayside.

When I finally get around to this, it offers the perfect opportunity to look at it all with fresh eyes, marvelling at the wonderful stuff we've managed to collect over the years. So, why don't you join me and feast your eyes?




As a reward for all that cleanliness, we did go for a wee rummage later that day. Plus, we had February's addition of the indoor flea market to go to. But that, I'm afraid, will be for next time!

See you soon!



34 comments:

  1. I love your olive green vintage dress, it's so pretty and the pattern in fabulous. I also love your blouse and skirt combo! That's a great shirt.

    Bess is so cute! So, what if she prefers the paper bag to the box. :) It means she defies stereotypes.

    Lovely photos and collages. You live in a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! I guess that's what makes them cats :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. Those statues on top of the building are rather creepy in a delightful way! Bess-in-the-bag is such a cutie! Vizzini has nothing to do with boxes or bags - but he pops open our closet doors! Our previous kitty, Inigo, was a box cat, though.

    I'm so glad you got your awesome boots fixed! What a delight they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! I'm so glad I was able to get those boots fixed. Both our previous cats were box cats, but I guess Bess likes doing her own thing :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. did bess scratch that bag into tiny pieces - like lisbeth would? :-D
    the chiffon dress is fabulous - love the colours and that print!
    thanx for the pics of the pretty theater and the botanical garden´s flowers - especially the hard earned hellebore photo...... ;-D
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome Beate! And no, Bess didn't destroy the bag. She soon lost interest in it ... xxx

      Delete
  4. Can't pick my favorite outfit, this time!! Love the all...
    Bess is adorable! And I Love your kitchen...so many fun things to see...
    Stay warm!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna, and my kitchen is my favourite room! xxx

      Delete
  5. That was wonderful news about about the gorgeous raspberry pink boots; aren't cobbler's prices horrendous?

    Loved your outfits and finds; especially the '& Other Stories' skirt which looks as if it would be very warm and toasty to wear. I also loved your new half price shoes.

    Bess looks so cute in her paper bag. Perhaps she's a paper bag cat rather than a box cat?

    Your Kitchenalia collection is superb, Ann. One day I keep promising myself I will remove all my books from my book shelves and clean them. One day...
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, but it was still well worth having those boots repaired ...
      I was rearranging some book shelves the other day and found whole armies of dust bunnies on those on the top shelf :-) xxx

      Delete
  6. Those boots are gorgeous! Have fun with them. Olivia in the PNW

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful photos from Antwerp!! Very nice outfit, I loved the pin. The kitty in the paper bag is very cute. Have a nice day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katerina, I'm glad you loved the photos from Antwerp! xxx

      Delete
  8. I almost squealed out loud at the thought of catching a glimpse of two more of Albert's ghostly figures. Aren't they fantastic?
    Well done on the raspberry boots. They were definitely worth going the extra mile for! As for the jacket, well I'm sure you'll move another one on to a new home at some point.
    Funnily enough, I've just sat down - exhausted - after giving our kitchen a spring clean. I love your collections. Those ceramic bee hives are so cute!
    Bess is so funny. Bags are the new boxes! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love those ghostly figures! They have temporarily stored those from Middelheim into their outdoor depot and you can catch a glimpse of them when you drive past. They always manage to make me smile! xxx

      Delete
  9. You are certainly right about that! Despite being a shorter month, February seems to be holding on for dear life. I'm glad you've had a bit of daylight during your commute at least. The Bourla Theatre is gorgeous! And I love that art deco skyscraper that you passed. It's incredible! That cameo brooch is beautiful and I love the cardigan as well. How fabulous that you were able to find some charity shop treasures. That plaid jacket is gorgoeus. Totally understandable why it needed to come home with you! Oh no...the boots! Who would've ever imagined the sole and heel would be higher than the other?? I'm so glad you were able to have it fixed! Your kitchen is a dream. It looks incredible. I absolutely love all of the special items you have displayed!

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon! I'll be sure to watch out whenever I buy a pair of second-hand boots from now on! xxx

      Delete
  10. I do enjoy a peek at Antwerp , loved the theatre and those interesting statues. Enjoy the start of the Spring bulbs, always a most welcome sight .
    Bess certainly is quite a character .
    Glad you were able to make the boots wearable , they look in prime condition.
    Your kitchen collection is most impressive .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill, and I love it that you enjoyed the peek(s) at Antwerp! xxx

      Delete
  11. I didn't notice the juggler at first. He needs to do some practice. I'm so in love with those boots. Tamaris is my favourite shoe and boots brand. They are fabulous. The sun is finally out here this morning. Gosh, I hope I can sit and read for a while this afternoon in it. I send some sunshine to you too, so enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy! I love Tamaris shoes and boots too! Still waiting for that sunshine though :-)) xxx

      Delete
  12. What a glorious stroll around Antwerp, those blue skies are wonderful and as for the Boerentoren,just fabulous! I treated myself to a hellebore last year but the foxes have decided to dig a den beneath the bed I'd planted it in and the poor thing's vanished without a trace!
    I did chuckle at the boot story! They were a fantastic find despite the height difference, I'm glad he cobbler sorted them out for you.
    The dress and blouse are very similar in print, aren't they? Both look fantastic on. Loving your finds and of course, cheeky Bess in her bag!
    Your kitchen looks amazing. There must be something in the air, I cleaned the lounge yesterday! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a shame about the hellebore! Mind you, it's the first time I had some real success with them.
      I'm glad I was able to give those boots a new lease of life. I mean, how often does one find a pair of pink suede boots? xxx

      Delete
  13. Red shoes and boots: Niiiiiice. Now March is two days old. February is over, yes! Have a lovely week! Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regula! March is 14 days old by now, but we haven't had much sunshine yet ... xxx

      Delete
  14. Thanks for taking us for a walk in that beautiful Botanical Garden again, and share some pics of those fabulous Decó buildings, that Decó skycrapper façade is particularly appealing to me (caryatides!!)
    Crocus holidays sounds far better and more inspiring (no half-term holidays here, we have to wait for Easter for some bank holidays)
    Those MizMooz shoes are really cute!, and I'm admiring that plaid jacket, totally irresistible!. The suede boots are also particularly fabulous, even if you had to paid an extra to the cobbler (a trusty cobbler makes a difference!).
    Lovely tweedy turquoise skirt with that groovy blouse, so delightfully matchy that puts a smile on my face.
    Always lovely to have a look at your kitchenalia collection, such a joyful vision!
    besos
    Lovely chiffon dress, totally understand you fell in love with its print and pussy bow, you rock it!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and you're very welcome to tag along any time, Monica! xxx

      Delete
  15. Long time reader here . I had to comment about Bess and the shopping bag. Be cautious with the cat and the bag handles. My dear cat got her head stuck through the handles of a paper bag like yours and rampaged through the house until the bag was torn to shreds and I could free her from her entanglement. Love your Blog. Best Wishes,
    Gail from PA. USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment and concern, Gail. I was kind of worried about the handles as well so I didn't leave her unsupervised! xxx

      Delete
  16. How funny that your boots were different heights! I paid more to get my strap fixed on some Mary Jane shoes than i actually paid for them. Also, how strange that Bess doesn't conform to box stereotypes! She looks adorable in the bag.
    Your kitchenalia is so beautiful! Kezzie xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie! The boots were well worth fixing, so no regrets! Oh, and Bess doesn't conform to a lot of cat stereotypes :-) xxx

      Delete
  17. I love your kitchen Ann!!! But why wouldn't a stylish lady such as yourself have such a fab kitchen eh!? xXx

    ReplyDelete