Thursday 22 February 2024

Dreary February

In spite of its above average highs in the low double digits, the grey, rainy and often windy weather in the first week of February was nothing short of dreary. 

In the wake of our whirlwind Sunday afternoon abroad, I'd had the foresight of taking Monday off.  However, I was instantly punished for my sins when I returned to the office on Tuesday. It  took me the better part of the morning just to go through my emails, and that's before I could make a start with all the issues which had popped up during my absence, so that my extra day off was soon forgotten. 

The only rays of - virtual - sunshine were a quick cappuccino-fuelled catch-up with Inez on Wednesday and some bargainous retail therapy on Thursday, the results of which you'll get to see later in this post.




After such a hectic week, you won't be surprised to read I breathed a huge sigh of relief when the weekend finally rolled along. What's more, Saturday the 10th of  February was mainly dry for once, with the odd sunny spell and springlike temperatures of up to 15°C.

Although I hadn't slept well, I felt better and more energized after breakfast. Striking the iron while it was hot, I ticked a couple of long-overdue chores off my list until it was time for our lunch of homemade tomato and paprika soup and crusty baguettes.



The burgundy button-through dress with its sprinkling of tiny teal and white flowers is one of my charity shopped King Louie's. Instead of the matching tie-belt it came with, I opted for the minty-green unstructured leather belt I found at the end of January. This, in its turn, inspired my choice of necklace, which alternates pale grey and minty-green beads.

My brooch matches the teal bits in the dress's pattern almost exactly, as do the boots, which were a holy grail charity shop find in December 2019.




A delicious aroma was wafting towards us as we opened the back door. Indeed, it was that time of year again when the tiny flowers of our Sarcococca (a.k.a. winter box, above, top left) were wooing us with their heavenly scent. Although the shrub isn't much to look at, for a handful of weeks in late January or early February its perfume, which gets trapped under the glass awning outside our back door, is taking centre stage.

Winter Jasmine (Jasminum nudiflorum) is another one of our garden stalwarts, producing its twinkling yellow stars between November and March.

The Euphorbia I planted in the passageway last year is coming along nicely, and lo and behold, we even spied a handful of Snowdrops brave enough to show their pretty little faces at the back of the junkyard jungle!



We were all set to go on a wee charity shopping trip but were initially defeated by the fact that we couldn't find a single parking spot at either of our chosen shops. As a last-ditch attempt to satisfy our rummaging urges, we decided to stop at our most local shop on the way home, where it turned out to be a lot less busy.

Finds were plentiful here, but I'll start by showing you the results of Thursday's retail therapy. 

I picked up the green floral maxi dress (above) as well as the groovilicious green and blue maxi skirt (below, top and bottom left) at an outlet shop for the Belgian Green Ice label in the small shopping centre near my place of work. Already selling their stock at 50 to 70% off, prices had been reduced even further, so that it would have been downright silly not to make use of them.



The pale green diamond patterned swing cardigan - the first of my charity shop finds - makes a wonderful companion for the skirt. It's another one by retro label Zoë Loveborn to join my collection.

I swear, hand on heart, that I didn't set out to colour coordinate my finds, but surely there was no way I could have left these bottle green ankle boots behind? Made in Italy for a Belgian label called Ciao Ragazzi, they were a no-brainer at just € 5,90.



Although I've got more than plenty straw an wicker bags and the IKEA coat stand we bought last Spring is already groaning under their weight, I didn't think twice to make this one mine.



It wasn't my intention to buy colour-coordinated books either, but there you have it. I'm reading the Maeve Binchy at the moment. She's one of my guilty pleasures when in need of a comfort read.



I dithered over my final find, particularly since we've only visited two of the castles pictured on this tray. At € 0,10 it simply begged to be taken home though.



We woke up to a grey and mizzly day on Sunday which, in spite of the moderate 10°C claimed by the thermometer, initially made us ditch any plans of going for a walk.

Instead, I spent a lazy morning washing my hair and photographing my latest finds, as well as making a half-hearted attempt at writing a new blog post.



My outfit that day was a mix of vintage, new-to-me and the odd item bought on the high street. 

The pinkish-red skirt, a blend of polyester and mohair, is vintage and an old Think Twice find, while the floral blouse from the defunct Belgian Wow To Go label was picked up at Oxfam in December 2021.

As for my accessories, the pink beaded necklace was charity shopped and the enamelled brooch displaying a posy of white Daffs was a flea market find. The belt with its Celtic knot buckle is the odd one out, being a retail buy from the aforementioned Green Ice outlet shop. Having joined my wardrobe in the Autumn, it has already more than proved its worth. 



Our weather app insisted it would stay dry for a couple of hours in the afternoon, so we decided to risk it and go for a much-needed walk to clear away the cobwebs.

A 10-minute drive is all it takes to the nearest entrance of Fort 5 - which I most recently blogged about here - and after having parked our car and taken our walking poles from the boot, we proceeded along the main tarmacked path which skirts the domain.



The offerings of the book sharing box (above, top left) were decidedly meagre, but we have made a mental note to bring our bag of non-keepers next time instead of taking them to the charity shop.

Continuing on the tarmacked path would have taken us on quite a detour around the moat, so we veered off onto a muddy path which would take us into known territory. We were wondering about the length of red and white plastic tape tangled up in the undergrowth near the path's entrance, until we came across a fallen tree blocking the path and halting us in our tracks. Some nitwit must have found it necessary to fool people by removing it.



There was nothing for it but to retrace our steps and make our way towards the eerie passage (below, bottom left) which takes you into the fort's heavily graffitied inner sanctum. This would eventually bring us back to the narrow winding path along the moat.

En route, we once again passed the long row of low brick and sandstone buildings of which make up the old fort. Almost swallowed up by the undergrowth, with its peeling woodwork and chained and padlocked doors and gates, this would undoubtedly be an urbex explorer's dream location.





As the next batch of rain announced its imminent arrival with a darkening of the sky and the first and the lightest of drizzles, we hurried back to our car.



The cobwebs were suitably cleared, so mission accomplished!



40 comments:

  1. Glad your walk did the trick and blew away the cobwebs. Pity about the pile of work waiting for you after your day off .
    Lovely to see the early blooms in your garden. As usual you have found some treasures , those green boots were just waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill, and spending time in nature always manages to blow away the cobwebs! xxx

      Delete
  2. walks are so relaxing - it feels like a mini-holiday.
    you´r not the only one facing a pile of work after a day off :-D yesterday was such a day for me - after an unexpected long weekend because of an old friend who stranded in our forests with his car.......
    anyway - gorgeous outfits in pretty colours!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! And catching up with piles of work is never fun! xxx

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous finds! Such a beautiful maxi skirt and the cardigan is perfect on it. Love your outfits too! We haven't been for a walk for a few weeks, my wheelchair needs repair, and that takes weeks. And it's not the kind of weather to cycle. So my head is full of cobwebs! Enjoy your, almost, weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! I do your wheelchair has been repaired by now. That must be such a nuisance! xxx

      Delete
  4. A pile of work certainly takes the gilt off the gingerbread of a day off.
    The book sharing box is such a good idea. x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know ... and I love the idea of a book sharing box too. I've recently discovered there's a book sharing shelf in one of our village shops as well! xxx

      Delete
  5. Loving the green maxi dress and skirt. Bargains indeed! You certainly do find some lovely charity shop finds.
    Loving your use of the word "nitwit," reminds me of my childhood when it was a commonly used derogatory term.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! One picks up the odd word - derogatory or not - on one's UK travels :-) xxx

      Delete
  6. I've been holed up inside for a few days too. The weather's been dismal; wet and suddenly very cold again! A walk makes most things better.
    What bargains you've found! Love the colour of those green boots and your straw bag.
    Your final outfit is a total winner! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! We've got a rare sunny day today, but the weather has been truly dismal of late! xxx

      Delete
  7. I haven't noticed how bad the weather has been until the sun shone the day before yesterday. What a blessing! Now it is grey and wet again ... February. Let's hope for a springy March. All the best! xxxx Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we've been sharing similar weather! xxx

      Delete
  8. The winter jasmine is really incredible with its little yellow flowers, we have it around the corner too... it makes you happy in this gray on gray... well the snowdrops are wide awake too :-)) You know, it takes a while It won't be long before the meadows are full of crocuses...
    the pattern on your new green and blue maxi skirt is wonderful. And it's just wonderful that you always have something to match... I would have a hard time searching in my two wardrobes and I'm not always crowned with success, but I'm sewing now :-)) and I always sew trousers or skirts a matching top... because what does a woman say - it has to fit!!!
    Yes - and - pink and purple are great.
    We are promised the sun for tomorrow... there was already a wonderful sunset late this evening.
    I hope you get them too.
    A hug from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Viola! I've seen carpets of crocuses during my lunch break walk today. Always a sight for sore eyes! xxx

      Delete
  9. Glad you were finally able to get out for a walk; it's so frustrating when you're itching to get out and the weather won't let you...

    Great retail finds and such bargains; I loved the green cardigan, green boots and fabulous straw bag you found in the charity shop. The wee tray is very cute; I find trays and jugs quite difficult to resist in charity shops.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! I've been able to resist trays - this one was special - but find it impossible to resist straw bags! xxx

      Delete
  10. There's nothing like being greeted by tons of works.
    It makes one regret ever taking a day off.
    However, an off days are also necessarily.
    Sometimes we need to rest.
    I've been working weekends lately because there's so much work to be do.
    I'll have some two or three weeks off in April and I cannot tell you how much I'm looking forward to it.
    Lovely outfits. Great finds in the shops as well. That basket bag is adorable.
    I love your colour coordinated books!
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right: days off are a necessity! I'm glad to read you've got a couple of weeks off to look forward to! xxx

      Delete
  11. P.S. I also don't colour coordinate by book purchases but isn't it lovely when it happens on its own. It happens to me that my outfits match my reading choice of the day, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matching one's outfit to one's reading choice, now that's an idea :-) xxx

      Delete
  12. The soup sounds delicious! I also love jasmine, any kind!
    Love the green cardigan and the weave, along with the red and blue outfit!
    I'd like to check out the inside of that old fort...but how sad for all the graffiti!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna! I'm not sure I would feel comfortable exploring the inside of the fort though ... xxx

      Delete
  13. I'm always astounded at the beautiful and cheaply priced things you find on your rummaging trips. It is very slim pickings where I live, but I still enjoy the thrill of searching for treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we are lucky to have so many great second-hand shops at our disposal ... xxx

      Delete
  14. My latest charity shop finds have been books. Our church porch has a book-swap where you can pick up and leave books for people... My niece & nephew love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is so hard when you take a day off of work...only to come back to extra work the next day. Sigh! I'm sorry that you had so many emails to deal with on the Tuesday. That must have been super stressful. It sounds like it was a really busy week. I'm glad the weather was good on Saturday at least to make up for all of that stress! It sounds like you spent the day being super productive - and fashionable. That burgundy button through dress is just gorgeous. I love love love love LOVE that necklace with the grey and green beads. I don't know how you find such beautiful pieces all the time. I am constantly amazed at your incredible wardrobe! The items you found on Thursday are excellent. I love the green and blue maxi skirt and that straw bag! Also...that floral blouse from Wow To Go is remarkable! Oh, I just love the colours and the print. It is spectacular. The visit to Fort 5 looks like it was an interesting one. I hope you have a wonderful week <3

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon! It was definitely a stressful and busy week back then, and I'm glad that things are more or less back to normal ... xxx

      Delete
  16. Yup, it sure is a dreary month. Will it ever end?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love that dress, I only wear dresses but hardly ever see them in charity shops, the trend is slacks and tops. Echoes was the first book I read by Maeve Binchy and then I read everything she had written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris! I absolutely LOVED Echoes, and every other Maeve Binchy book I've read! xxx

      Delete
  18. I love the green dress, what a gorgeous find! I also love Maeve Binchey and have all her books, which are definitely staying no question during my sorting and reading of my bookcases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Maeve Binchy's are her to stay as well. I haven't got them all yet though ... xxx

      Delete
  19. I hear you, sister, on having to deal with a lot of emails after a day off (it also happens to me every Monday!), sending you hugs and sunshine!
    Lovely outfits, particularly in love with your burgundy dress with those mint colour accents which enhance it so fabulously!, delightfully matchy!.
    Also lovely finds!, that groovilicious skirt and the wicker basket are my favourite ones (a girl can't have too many wicker baskets!)
    Love that outfit you wore for a walk in the park, so cool floral print and that skirt is such a fab piece, and love your coat and accessories too. Looking gorgeous in those landscapes, so beautiful photos!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hearing me Monica! It happens to me every Monday as well, but thankfully Friday is never super busy! xxx

      Delete
  20. Maeve Binchy - now there's a blast from the past. I remember reading and enjoying Echoes years ago! Proper comfort reading for dizmal weather. Super boots & basket bag ❤ xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lulu! Comfort reading is very much needed as dismal weather continues ... xxx

      Delete