Friday 16 February 2024

Made of clay - Part 2

Thursday the 1st of February presented us with what felt like the first stirrings of impending Spring. At 8°C we might not have made it into double digits that day, but just look at that bright blue sky! So far, the week had been grey and mizzly, so when the sun bathed Antwerp in a golden glow that morning, I was champing at the bit to go outside and bask in her soothing presence during my lunch break. So, as soon as the clock struck 12.45, I made my escape and strolled to Antwerp's Botanical Garden.




Just a leisurely 10-minute walk from my office, and a mere stone's throw from the hustle and bustle of the city's main shopping thoroughfare, Den Botaniek as it is locally known, is an oasis of peace and quiet. It's the perfect place to unwind after a busy morning, and indeed lots of people flock here on their lunch breaks, eating their sandwiches or reading a book on one of the garden's benches. Or perhaps just sit and stare, contemplating life as I am wont to do.



Tiny it may be, it is a whole world in one garden, with a collection of exceptional trees and shrubs, an incredible 2000 plants and a conservatory housing a number of cacti and other exotics.

Started almost 200 years ago, it initially only grew medicinal plants to supply St. Elisabeth’s hospital next door. The city has managed the garden since 1926 and in 1950 the garden was listed as a valuable landscape for the city of Antwerp and its inhabitants.

Ah, the first stirrings of Spring! My heart always makes a little leap when I spy a carpet of cheerful yellow hula-skirted winter aconites (Eranthis hyemalis).




There's also a plethora of hellebores which, apart from several clumps of Helleborus foetidus 
(two collages up, top right) includes lots of  different Helleborus orientalis varieties, like the dusky purple bloomed one (above, top left), which was more than willing to have its portrait taken.

I was charmed by these tiny delicate-looking flowers (above, bottoms left), which belong to Chimomanthus praecox, a deciduous shrub commonly known as wintersweet due to its highly fragrant flowers.


In a bid to make my walk at least semi-circular, I exited the garden by way of the premises belonging to the luxury Botanic Sanctuary hotel. Opened in 2022, it is housed in a former convent and hospital complex called  Elzenveld, whose history goes back to the 12th century.

Two ghostly figures have taken up residence in the garden next to the restored 15th century chapel. By Antwerp-based, German-born sculptor Albert Szukalski (1945-2000), they are relatives of those which have been having a conversation in the sculpture park (Dialogue, 1974).



Thursday clearly had been a one-off, as we were back to the customary grey skies on Friday. The dismal soul-sapping weather wasn't conducive to a lunch break walk. In fact, I wouldn't even have ventured outside at all if I hadn't had an errand to run.

It was when I was taking a shortcut through the shopping centre near my office that I happened to pass a pop-up clothing shop which was having a closing-down sale. With items going for € 10, I decided to have a look, not really expecting to find anything to my liking. How wrong I was, as I walked away with a bottle green long-sleeved maxi dress and a blue bishop-sleeved blouse with a flower meadow print, both by the London based Louche label



I was quite exhausted by Saturday, my hectic 5-day working week clearly taking its toll. 

Yet another grey and mizzly day, its highs of 10°C were neither here nor there. Without any sunshine to boost my energy levels, and feeling a bit off with a stomach upset, a day of rest was just what the doctor ordered.



Both the plaid skirt and the thin knit jumper got their very first outing that day, even if it was only for posing for outfit photos in the passageway.

I picked up the skirt in an outlet shop for the Belgian Green Ice label back in September, while the Missoni-inspired faux-wrap jumper, by C&A's Clockhouse label, was charity shopped last month.



I layered a green long-sleeved t-shirt underneath, pinned a brooch embroidered with a posy of Gentians to the jumper and added a navy beaded necklace to tie in with the background colour of the skirt.

Having finished my Anne Tyler novel, I picked one of the previous week's finds as my next read.




Three Houses is a nostalgic childhood memoir by Angela Thirkell (1890-1961), based on the three houses in which she grew up. Apart from her parents' home in Kensington Square, these are her maternal grandparents' London home, as well as their seaside retreat in Rottingdean, East Sussex. 

A not unimportant detail is that her grandfather was the Pre-Raphaelite painter and designer Edward Burne-Jones! Although Angela clearly admired her grandfather's work, as well as that of his friend William Morris, she wasn't impressed with Pre-Raphaelite furniture, which she describes as utterly uncomfortable.



Thankfully, the stomach bug thing, whatever it was, had upped and left by Saturday evening and, after a good night's sleep, I was feeling right as rain again on Sunday morning.

Strangely enough it had quite a while since this 1970s does 1940s dress made it out of my wardrobe. Green being my favourite colour, I fell in love with it and its blowsy flower pattern when I found it on the Think Twice rails many years ago.



A trip down bloggy memory lane revealed that I usually wear it with aqua opaques and a ditto cardigan, so I decided to shake things up a bit, opting for burnt orange and tan this time around.

The belt - by the Belgian CKS label - was a fairly recent charity shop find while, if my memory serves me right, I found the brooch on a flea market. My necklace with its colourful wooden discs, which pick up all of the pattern's colours, was bought brand new from Accessorize back in the mists of time.



Our plan for the day was to spend the afternoon abroad! Mind-boggling as this might sound to some of you, it only involves a drive of just under an hour, which is considerably less than it takes to drive to Belgium's west country.

We were off to visit our friends Kris and Marnix, who live about 15 kilometers from the Belgian border in Zeeuws-Vlaanderen, which is part of the Dutch province of Zeeland. 

Kris, who used to be my colleague for many years, moved here to run an arable farm with his husband Marnix, growing potatoes, onions, wheat, brown beans, sugar beet and carrots.




What with life - not to mention that pesky thing called Covid - getting in the way we hadn't seen each other since December 2019. As if that wasn't bad enough, our plans for a get-together at the end of 2022 had to be cancelled at the last moment as I got the flu, so it was obvious that we had quite a bit of catching up to do. 

In true Dutch style, we were welcomed with typical Dutch pastries called tompouce, after which it was time for Kris to show us around his pride and joy.



About six years ago, a friend took Kris along to a ceramics workshop, and the rest, as they say, is history! Kris was instantly captivated by the creative possibilities of working with clay.

Soon, his new-found hobby had taken over his life and KB Keramiek was born. 

As Kris wanted to share his knowledge and passion, Kris and Marnix converted part of their barn into a studio, where Kris is now giving his own workshops and courses. 




Next to the ceramics studio is a multi-purpose room which can be rented for courses, meetings or gatherings. This used to be the old cowshed, and I love how Kris and Marnix have integrated some of the authentic elements like the old ceiling beams, the drinking troughs and the feeding troughs which have been converted into benches (above, top and bottom right, and below, top right).

There's also a small shop where Kris sells his own unique creations. I was quite impressed by those gorgeous leaf dishes!


Our catch-up continued with drinks and nibbles, during which we were introduced to alcohol-free gin, which was absolutely delicious.

We stayed for dinner, and then sadly it was time to say goodbye and make our way back home. Promises have been made not to leave it too long until we next meet.  And who knows, one day we might very well book one of those workshops ...

Thank you for the lovely afternoon, guys!


31 comments:

  1. Go girl! You may open start own pottery business on day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes book this workshop, these keramik is amazing. 💕
    A wonderful blue sky you visiting the botanical garden.
    I am in love with the zig zag jumper outfit. You look gorgeous, Ann.
    many greetings fron Ban Krut Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! We've had a serious lack of blue sky, so need to grab every opportunity! xxx

      Delete
  3. What a great trip and styling ideas. Thanks for the post. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katerina, and have a nice weekend too! xxx

      Delete
  4. i always thougt that after a 1h hour drive one is out of belgium anyway ;-DDD
    kris´ little kingdom is impressive! a veg farm and now a pottery - and even a studio to teach how to work with clay! gorgeous! i bet you were very happy to meet him again finally.
    you really should go more often in the botanical garden in your break - and wear the green 70sdoes40s dress more often too...... pretty!
    foresty greetings xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends on where you are but Belgium is a little bit bigger than that :-)
      I'm quite envious of Kris's little empire! xxx

      Delete
  5. What a lovely post! Kris's ceramics are impressive and the way he and Marnix have integrated the old cowshed accoutrements into a stylish room is quite inspirational.
    Angela Thirkell's book sounds most interesting. I don't know anything about pre-Raphaelite furniture and perhaps her book explains why!
    Have a lovely weekend, Ann. x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice! Kris was quite chuffed when I told him about your comment! xxx

      Delete
  6. What a lovely read Ann. I'm so glad you got to meet up with your friend Kris (and we had an introduction). I've been watching The Great Pottery Throwdown - currently being aired on the BBC - and am in awe of their talents. It's wonderful when people get to pursue their dreams and make it a reality!
    Three Houses sounds like an interesting read. I like the idea of exploring the houses people have lived in and how they have helped shape them as individuals.
    I loved seeing the ghosts again and your plaid skirt and knit outfit is fabulous! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't managed to watch The Great Pottery Throwdown yet, but I'm sure you won't be surprised that Kris is a big fan! I'll try to remember to bring Three Houses for you in June. I quite like the idea too, and might one day write my memoirs based on my childhood home and the homes of my grandparents! xxx

      Delete
  7. Wonderful that you have so many lovely green spaces near you to explore and enjoy. I really like your wrap blouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hena, and I agree we are lucky to have those lovely green spaces indeed! xxx

      Delete
  8. It is wonderful to have such a beautiful place located so close your office! I can understand why people like to enjoy their lunch breaks there! It's a shame the grey skies returned so quickly. I suppose that is what the winter months are known for. How wonderful that you stumbled upon a pop up clothing shop! Three Houses sounds like a really interesting read! The ceramics studio looks phenomenal! So glad you were able to catch up!

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon! I'm planning to visit the botanical garden regularly in the run-up to Spring and Summer. xxx

      Delete
  9. I'd book a workshop pronto if I were in your shoes! What a lovely workspace they've created.

    It's wonderful you are so close to the Botanical Gardens and can pop there in your lunch break' I loved the 'ghost' sculptures.

    Lovely outfits - the C&A MIssoni type top was gorgeous and your 10.00 euro finds were fabulous.Well spotted!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! I'm not sure if I've got a talent for pottery, but will definitely give it a try. I'm a big fan of those ghost sculptures myself! xxx

      Delete
  10. Ooh, I love clay and pottery - my mom had a potters' wheel when I was a kid and I spent a lot of time playing on it. How lovely you were able to meet up with your friend again, Ann!

    Love the new long green maxi, and a big thumbs up for the styling of the green dress - that belt is a beauty! I love the spooky sculptures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! How exciting that your Mom had a potters' wheel when you were a kid. She's obviously a very talented lady! xxx

      Delete
  11. Such a workshop would be wonderful. I'm always attracted by ceramics. Never heard of the place they have settled in. Must be in Limburg? In our open air museum they have a medicine plant garden. So interesting where all the plants are good for. Better them pills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zeeuws-Vlaanderen is in Zeeland, not Limburg!
      There are lots of medicinal plants in the botanical garden here as well. I don't think their use is mentioned though.
      I work in pharmaceuticals and I know for a fact that lots of modern medicines are plant based ... xxx

      Delete
  12. As a huge fan of Botanical Gardens, I'd love to have one nearby to have a walk!, lovely photos!
    Both dress and blouse are fab pieces in delightful prints, such a lucky find!
    Lovely colourful jumper (totally agree it's Missoni-inspired!) and it looks fab with that plaid skirt, such a great ensemble!.
    Also lovely green dress, you rock it and look particularly gorgeous!
    Glad that you met your old friends in their amazing kingdom, so impressive buildings! and that pottery!. The leaf dishes are gorgeous indeed!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! It's such an inner city oasis and only a 10-minute walk from the office, so yes, I am a big fan too!
      I'm quite envious of our friends' little empire, although I'm well aware running a farm is hard work! xxx

      Delete
  13. What a delightful glimpse of the promise of Spring! Antwerp's Botanical Garden sounds like the perfect oasis to soak in the warmth and beauty of nature. By the way, I have a new post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Melody! I'll pop over to your blog in a minute! xxx

      Delete
  14. Firstly apologies Ann I am way behind with my blog comments. I always love a botanical garden and this one is spectacular. I am a fan of hellebores , a delight in Winter here.It must be lovely to see the promise of Spring.
    It must have been so good to finally catch up with your friend and see his home and studio, his pottery looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill! I am a big fan of hellebores too, there are so many gorgeous varieties! xxx

      Delete
  15. The comment above was me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Den Botaniek looks lovely. It's great that's it so easy to reach. I can see why you call it an oasis of peace and quiet. It sure looks that way. I can also see why it is the perfect place to unwind after a busy morning! Sometimes a short walk in nature can make all the difference. We all need greenery in our lives.
    Great outfits. I like the combination of a tartan skirt and a striped knit jumper a lot. Nice to see their very first outing. Nothing wrong in wearing something to be photographed. I do that sometimes as well. I should do it more often.
    One of the benefits of having a blog is that you can use it as a digital fashion diary of sorts. I really feel that I utilize my clothes better because I have a blog. There's just something in having a blog that makes us having a better overview of our wardrobe. It activities visual memory and all that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! I do agree that we all need more greenery in our lives. I hate it that everything is getting built up here in Belgium. I do agree about the visual memory offered by blogging ... xxx

      Delete