Tuesday 6 February 2024

White wilderness

Saturday the 20th of January dawned dismal and grey until suddenly late morning the sun managed to worm her way through the layer of clouds. 

Knowing I wouldn't have time on Sunday, I fiddled around with collages for my next blog post and put together some possible outfits for the week ahead.

By then, the sun was out in full force, although she didn't manage to push the mercury beyond freezing point. So, once again, woollens to the rescue!




My chunky knit skirt with its brown, caramel and off-white chevron pattern is an old Think Twice find and tends to only come out of my closet on cold Winter days. This time, it found its perfect companion in a vintage bottle green wool jumper, its front panel higgledy-piggledy striped in off-white, sage green and burnt orange. The jumper too was picked up from Think Twice, while the white faux fur gilet I layered on top to further combat the cold was a charity shop find.



Accessories were kept to the bare minimum with an ivory coloured carved beaded necklace and a brooch consisting of a spray of cream leaves and brown berries, both of which were flea market finds.

While having lunch, we brainstormed about possible walking destinations. Obviously there was no way we would be staying inside on this rarest of commodities, a crispy cold yet sunny Winter's day.

Having exhausted the possibilities of most of the local parks, we were somewhat at a loss, and had already reluctantly settled for another visit to Antwerp's Park Den Brandt, when I suddenly had a Eureka moment.



Why not go for a long-overdue walk to the ex-clay pit based nature reserve in Terhagen? Surely, with the frost and snow of the last couple of days, it wouldn't be too muddy?

Incessant rain turning the paths into a sticky clay-based mud-fest had kept us away for many months. In fact, our last visit was on a glorious Spring day back in May, its highs of 23°C a total contrast to today's.

We parked our car in the village of Terhagen in front of the former entrance of De Beukelaer, one of the many brickmaking factories which used to provide the area's livelihood. The brick entrance gate dates back to 1939 and was beautifully restored in 2012.



Once past the gate and down a set of slippery steps, there is a choice of two paths: one leading between trees to the right and another to the left. The latter eventually takes one to an open area from where a narrow up-and-down path leads past one of the water-filled former clay pits into the heart of the reserve.

Jos claimed that we always take a right turn - which admittedly we might have done once or twice - so I indulged him and off we went. However, we had to turn back almost at once as the path became increasingly muddy. Taking the snow covered path on the left, we were momentarily confused when we arrived at the aforementioned open area, where the usually quite obvious path we needed to take insisted on a game of hide and seek in drifts of snow. Then we found it snaking between the trees on the bottom right in the De Beukelaer collage.




On the right path again, we continued our walk, crunching through solid snow, with only the odd muddy patch to negotiate.

To our left, we caught glimpses of the water-filled pit, now a wide, white expanse of ice and snow.

Everything was eerily quiet in spite of not being all too far from the inhabited world. There were hardly any fellow walkers out and about either, which was a bit mind-boggling on such a lovely Saturday afternoon.



It was only when, after a short but stiff climb, we arrived at a huge sandy plain, that we spotted the odd, far-off dog walker. The plain, reminiscent of the Sahara on a hot Summer's day, is a reminder of the fact that once upon a time this was actually the bottom of the sea. Jos remembers hunting for shark's tooth here when he lived nearby as a boy.

We circumnavigated the partially snow covered plain and were just about to return to the path we'd come on, when a woman walking her dog warned us that it was quite slippery going down and that she'd almost landed on her bum. Having a life-long trauma from slipping on ice and breaking my arm as a four year old, I wasn't very keen. Still, we decided to risk it and, taking great care and making use of our walking poles, we safely got back on track.

An alternative route would have meant making quite a detour. Not to mention the magical sight of the sinking sun illuminating the skeleton trees and the naughts and crosses pattern in the sky.




No outfits photos were taken on Sunday, as we had January's edition of the indoor flea market to go to and were running late picking up our friend Inez.

By the time we'd finished trawling the aisles of well-stocked stalls, I was too exhausted. My cold, which had thankfully taken a backseat on Friday and Saturday, was back for another round, and I simply had no energy left when we got back home.



I'd left my camera at home as well so, rather than taking you for a spin through the aisles, here's a peek at the treasures which came home with me.

Not having purchased even a single brooch in December, I now came away with no less than nine.




I didn't pay over the odds for any of them, my most expensive purchase being the agate one (above, bottom right) bought from one of the regular sellers, a very nice French speaking lady I purchased lots of lovely brooches from over the years.

Another favourite is the one on the bottom left, which I think looks like half a walnut shell. 



The large cameo came from another regular seller, an older lady who lives in the next village to ours and who presides over a table heaped with all kinds of costume jewellery. She always strikes up a conversation, mainly about her health problems. By the time I managed to extricate myself, Jos and Inez had almost reached the end of the aisle.

I fell head over heels for the wooden brooch with its hand-painted flowers. It was the first one that caught my eye and has already been worn in the meantime.

I can never resist kitschy plastic brooches, like the tiny blue cock and the olive green mouse, whose eyes turned out to be very hard to get into focus, and which I think gives the poor thing a bit of a squinty look!


Mid-century celluloid souvenir brooches are another weakness of mine. I've got quite a few of these in my collection, mainly of German origin. I suppose this is where the gnomes are from as well, but it's rather unusual to find a Belgian one, in this case a souvenir from the seaside town of Blankenberge. 



I actually gasped when I spotted the red and white knitted coat several aisles away, and instantly made a beeline towards it with Inez in tow. Once I tried it on, there was no going back, particularly after Inez declared that she would never speak to me again if I didn't buy it. It's got a hood too. And pockets!

The weather gods cranked up the weather thermostat to around 10°C in the week that followed, treating us to a melange of rain and sunshine, often in one day, and mostly accompanied by a blustery wind.

After a false start on Monday, I gradually started feeling better each day, testimony of which is that I had the energy to walk to various Think Twice shops for a rummage during my lunch breaks.



I'd completely missed their January round of sales, but was happy to browse their newest collection.

Quite by coincidence, both of my purchases that week, on two consecutive days and in two different shops, featured diamond patterns. The purple and white dress, which came with its matching belt, is vintage, while the yellow, white, brown and pink short-sleeved jumper is from UK retro label Miss Fortune.



Oh, and I was unable to resist the Paisley patterned maxi dress, which was 70% off at a high street shop.

As I couldn't possibly say goodbye without showing you a second outfit, here's what I wore on January's final Friday.

Its main components were retail buys, starting with the caramel button-through cord skirt bought at full price in October 2021 from the same shop where I got the bargainous maxi dress from. It's become a firm favourite which has more than earned its keep in my wardrobe.



The blouse is by the defunct Belgian Wow To Go label, and snapped up from an outlet shop in November 2022. Like the skirt, it has featured many a time on the blog!

My zebra striped necklace (part of a set with a ring) was last year's flea market find, while both the burgundy belt and my squishy deer brooch were charity shopped.



Was there anything exciting on the menu for January's final weekend? Find out all about it in my next post! 

Hope to see you again soon!




36 comments:

  1. Lots of lovely bargains. I love the brooches.
    What a splendid walk you had. Snow adds a particular scent to the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice! I suppose I'm a brooch-o-holic :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. That's a super cool post, I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new red knit coat is ASTOUNDING, Ann! I would have fought you for her, ha ha! I enjoy your selection of brooches - the agate is my favourite. What gorgeous scenery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's strange to sit here and imagine the cold. But you have the perfect clothing for the cold days. And when the sun shines everything is better. Great photos from your walk.
    Greetings and kisses from Ban Krut, Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I can imagine, Tina! Enjoy the sunshine and warmth of Ban Krut! xxx

      Delete
  5. Don't you just love it when you go for a walk and almost don't see any other people! We do! What a lovely broches, and Ilove that diamond print top! Glad you feel better, it can take so l long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I definitely love it when we have nature to ourselves! xxx

      Delete
  6. you won the brooch olympiade!!
    the purple-white dress makes me dizzy even in the photo - you should wear it for occassian when you need to make someone nervous ;-DDD
    great walk in the snow and ice - good you had your walking poles with you! i love the light at the end of snowy, cold and clear winter days.......
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually bought even more brooches last Sunday. And I wore the diamond patterned dress. Not sure if it made people nervous :-) xxx

      Delete
  7. What a stunning photo of the dying sunlight on your winter walk! It's always impossible to imagine one's stomping ground once being the sea bed.
    I'm in awe of your brooch collection and am glad Inez pushed you hard to buy that amazing hooded coat!
    All of your outfits are always so well considered, but that last one is a triumph. Every item and accessory works together beautifully! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! To be honest, I didn't need much pushing :-) xxx

      Delete
  8. De Beukelaer looks wonderfully atmospheric, I love the font of the lettering at the entrance.
    What an amazing haul of brooches, you certainly hit the motherload there! That coat is incredible.
    Fabulous outfits, love the snazzy green jumper and the wild blouse! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vix! I had another amazing brooch haul last Sunday. Not sure how many I've got now ... xxx

      Delete
  9. How wonderful to find yourself walking on the bottom of the sea...at one time but still! SO much history there...
    Love the white fur vest! I'm sure it's warm.
    Love the brooches... and your outfits!
    Have a beautiful day, friend!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna! It's hard to imagine it having been the bottom of the sea once ... One feels very insignificant in the face of so much history! xxx

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful post! That first outfit is gorgeous, loved the color combo and your whole journey at De Beukelaer seemed fascinating, I'm sure you all enjoyed that walk and day so much! Your haul on all the amazing things you found and bought are beautiful, I also loved the agate and wooden with hand-painted flowers brooches, my favourites! Not to mention that Paisley print maxi dress, I love that print so much! Can't wait to see you wear all of these new items in upcoming blog posts! And looking gorgeous in that second outfit, once again, loving every single detail of it!

    Have a beautiful day and rest of the week!
    XO, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa, I'm glad you loved tagging along on our walk. The agate is definitely my favourite of that batch! xxx

      Delete
  11. Ann, I think you have a problem. I think you're a broochaholic!
    What brilliant finds; I loved the green cockerel brooch and the mouse and of course the lovely cameo. The souvenir brooches look like fun. The knitted coat is gorgeous; what a lovely find. Loved your 'new to you' finds of a dress and a diamond patterned top. I wouldn't have been able to resist that paisley maxi dress either and with 70% off a fab bargain.

    Lovely outfits as always. You do look good in skirts and you have some fabulous ones in your collection.

    Isn't it strange how snow can completely transform a familiar landscape into an unfamiliar one? No wonder people get lost in the snow...
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't I know it! I must have well over 600 of them by now. xxx

      Delete
  12. I'd rather have green wilderness. But thanks to colourful clothes, winter is bearable. ;-) Take care! Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the odd snow day, but I too prefer a green wilderness :-) xxx

      Delete
  13. That white faux fur piece is so beautiful and really makes all of the warm colours pop! What a beautiful winter piece. Oooh how excellent that you were able to take a walk at the nature reserve! It looks so beautiful there. It's a shame certain sections were really muddy, but I'm glad there were enough snow covered areas so you could explore. I'm surprised there weren't a lot of other walkers out, but on the plus side, it meant that you had all of that beautiful nature to yourselves! I just love the treasures that came home with you from the indoor flea market! Those brooches are gorgeous. I especially love the mouse brooch! Something fun and playful like that is totally up my alley. Also....wow that red and white knitted coat. That is remarkable! What a gorgeous jacket! It was definitely meant for you.

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon! I've got that mouse brooch in white too. They're quite delicate though so probably for looking at only :-) xxx

      Delete
  14. OOoh, I love seeing the Nature reserve! Well done for remembering about it when you weren't sure where to go.
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that amazing hooded coat! I would have wrestled you for it!!! Loving your brooches too.
    Kxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually glad you and Sheila weren't there and I didn't have to wrestle you two for that coat :-) xxx

      Delete
  15. Few brave the cold and hardships of hiking in Winter so big kudos to you for this adventure. Often the solitude of nature this time of year is especially pleasant.

    Oh, and perhaps it's time for you to join Brooch-Buyers Anonymous. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ally! I do fear it's too late for Brooch-Buyers Anonymous :-) xxx

      Delete
  16. It was very brave of you to trundle on through the Artic landscape, I too have broken a bone on a woodland walk, it's made me very cautious. Super nice brooch haul, I wonder just how many you have now? I also wonder where you find space for all your lovely acquisitions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mentioning "Arctic" landscape made me smile, but yes, that's actually how it felt. Not used to much snow in these parts :-) I'll show you my brooch storage in a next post! xxx

      Delete
  17. Lovely outfits and so fabulous finds!.
    Love your fluffy gilet over knit clothes, looks so warm and so stylish too!.
    And I'm totally in love with your red coat (it even has a hood and pockets!) and admiring those brooches!.
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! That coat really is something else, isn't it? xxx

      Delete
  18. You lucked out on brooches. I see so many gorgeous and unique ones. I love your outfit. Gorgeous blue shirt and suede skirt combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivana! I'm always adding to my collection, it seems! xxx

      Delete