Thursday 1 February 2024

Stopping by the park on a snowy day

Saturday the 13th of January was a dull and grey day, on which the mercury climbed to about 3°C: a small but noticeable improvement on the negative temperatures we had been faced with during the week.

After our usual fruit & yoghurt breakfast, I caught up with Blogland, and fiddled around with collages for my next post.

Then it was time to step outside for outfit photos!



The dress I was wearing is an old favourite, which made its debut on the blog when I first started out in March 2016 (see here for a trip down memory lane).

It's one of my dresses from the Finnish "Karelia" label and its heavyweight textured polyester fabric makes it perfect for days like these.

I picked up the green(ish) bits in its pattern with my accessories, all of which were either flea market or charity shop finds. The chunky caramel cardigan is by Esprit and was charity shopped last Spring.




The afternoon saw us driving down to the two-floored charity shop in Mechelen, where we'd last been back in November. 

Among the rails of mediocre offerings, I spotted the red Norwegian style jumper, which is by H&M, and a close cousin of my green one, which by pure coincidence was also found here. The multicoloured striped faux-wrap jumper is by C&A's Clockhouse label.




By then my lurgy, which had reared its head a couple of days earlier but until now had been reasonably well behaved, had decided to up the ante. I felt bone tired all of a sudden and was glad to be able to crash on the sofa once we got home.

Sunday treated us to temperatures barely above freezing point, grey skies and some snow – which thankfully didn’t stick – in the late morning and early afternoon.

My wool knit skirt with its gorgeous jacquard pattern was picked up for a pittance from Think Twice in November 2019. It's by Hess Natur, a German label which has been promoting sustainable fashion since 1976.



I combined it with a blue polo neck jumper I've had for absolutely ages, with a charity shopped cropped faux fur gilet layered on top. The hot pink belt was recently found on the high street. 

It was that cold that even the beads on my necklace were wearing crochet jackets! However, by the time we were ready for outfit photos, it had stopped snowing.

As more of the same had been forecasted for later that week, I dug out my stash of warm woollens and,  after searching high and low for them, was finally able to locate my snow boots, which are vintage and were a pre-blog Think Twice find.

As it turned out I'd already spent the day's energy quota by then, the rest of it was spent on the sofa, riding out the waves of my cold. 



Lack of remaining daylight after work still prevents us from taking outfit photos during the week, but here are some flat lays I did later.

The plaid skirt is Gor-Ray and was charity shopped in December 2018. I wore it with a striped jumper of many colours - an old sales bargain from New Look - one day, and with my new H&M jumper the next. To the latter I'd pinned a vintage poodle brooch found at the indoor flea market.

I didn't venture outside much during my lunch breaks that week, but still managed to snaffle a wide orange suede belt at half price from haberdashery and accessories shop Veritas.



The sky on Wednesday - we were the 17th by now - was granite grey with the promise of snow, but it turned out we were spared the worst. Unlike in other parts of Belgium, there was only a dusting of snow at home and none at all in Antwerp. 

Thursday wasn't a good day, health-wise, as it was filled with lots of coughing and generally feeling unwell. The weather was a mixture of grey skies and sunny spells, with some flurries of snow, and temperatures still flirting with the freezing point.

The sun was out in full force while I was waiting for the tram to take me home. As you can see, I was in luck, there'd be one in just 4 minutes!



Friday dawned sunny and blue-skied with the temperature still stuck around zero degrees.

I'd taken the day off which allowed me to take my time standing in front of my wardrobe(s) and selecting my outfit.

I picked another dress which has been with me forever. Yet another old Think Twice find, I fell head over heels for its colourful Paisley-esque pattern. With its fabric's generous wool content, it's a firm Winter favourite.



The shaggy orange cardigan I wore on top was charity shopped in the Autumn, and the eagle-eyed among you might spot that I'm wearing the orange suede belt which joined my collection only a couple of days earlier. My necklace and brooch were found in a charity shop and on the indoor flea market respectively.




The weather was simply too glorious to hunker inside nursing my cold. In fact, it was the perfect weather to clear those clogged up sinuses and my congested chest.

Casting around for a walking destination, we decided to drive down to the charity shop in Duffel, leave our car behind on its car park and try and cross the road to the park. I said try as due to extensive road works we hadn't been able to get there for nearly a year. Last time we looked, we were faced with a muddy mire and turned heel. That day, however, we were not only able to cross the road, we could even park our car in a side street leading up to one of the park's entrances.



The sight that met us when we entered the park was truly enchanting. Apparently, even if it is only a mere 8 kilometers from where we live, it had snowed here much more intensively than it had back at home. And although some of the snow had already melted by now, there was still enough of the white stuff left to satisfyingly crunch through with my snow boots! 

Layered up against the cold, I was wearing my beloved Princess coat, a chunky knit and fringed sage green scarf and a turban-style knitted hat to which I'd pinned one of my flower corsages.




Happy to be back there after such a long absence, we walked to our heart's content, circumnavigating the various ponds, which were still frozen solid.

A pair of Egyptian geese was ice skating on one of them, while a heron sat scratching its head wondering where all the fish had gone. No happy meal for him or her that day!




Powdery snow had come to rest on one of the park's benches, daring us to sit down and stare at the wintry scene, the cloudless sky dyeing the snow with a blue rinse and the sun making the ice crystals sparkle.



There was a small stretch of open water near the bridge, where all the park's waterfowl seemed to have gathered for a swim, bickering among themselves for the best spots.

Meanwhile, the Egyptian geese were still stoically practising their ice skating routine. Joining the hoi polloi ducks and lesser geese was obviously beneath them.



We passed the Brutalist fountain, only recently relieved of its crippling layer of moss and weeds.

Hibernating in the middle of its frozen pond, it was looking deceptively insignificant now that it had been temporarily silenced.




Just gone mid-afternoon, and the sun was already sinking towards the horizon, a  blinding orb caught in the branches of the trees, when we made our way back to where we'd parked our car. 

Time to call it a day and answer the call of the sofa.


So, it's goodbye from me, and goodbye from Her Royal Highness. 

I'll be back with more Winter walks and rummaging adventures soon!



40 comments:

  1. Crunching through snow is so satisfying, but we don't often have the opportunity. I hope you're finally free of that horrible cold.x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice! Indeed, crunching through snow is a rare occurrence these days! xxx

      Delete
  2. What a find! This Norvegian sweater is an eye-catcher. One more month to go until spring. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice writing and beautiful pictures. Warm clothing certainly protects against the cold! It's now February and getting closer to Spring. Happy month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katerina, and I'm hoping you're having a happy month too! xxx

      Delete
  4. That photo of Bess is absolutely gorgeous!
    I'm sorry that your cold lingered for so long but good on you for going out in the open air, beauty is balm for the soul! Your coat and boots are fabulous.
    Loving both your immaculately put together outfits and all the little details. The new jumper is so you and the Gor-Ray skirt is a stunner. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! I'm finally over that cold, now let's hope that's the end of it for this Winter! xxx

      Delete
  5. That cold sounds like a "stinker" as we like to say. I hope by now, you're back to full health.
    You still invested what energy you did have in creating some wonderful outfits. Love the green wool skirt and your plaid skirt and H&M jumper flat lay!
    What a gorgeous wintery landscape. It's a shame that the sun doesn't stick around for longer on days like that! xxx
    P.S. Bess looks super cosy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! There's been a definite lack of sunshine lately. Here's to hoping we get a mild and sunny Spring! xxx

      Delete
  6. I love the faux wrap jumper, it reminds me of Missoni designs. Sorry to hear you’ve been unwell. The current spate of colds doing the rounds are pretty nasty. Hopefully you’re on the mend now. The park looks glorious and your snow boots are just the ticket xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise! Sadly, I haven't had much opportunity to wear those snow boots ... xxx

      Delete
  7. maybe you should change your diet - fridge cold breakfast on a cold winter day sounds not very heartwarming......
    but at least you got warm dresses, sensible boots and a fabulous fur decorated coat!! the landscape of the park looks so very different now minus the lush foliage and with that bit of "icing" :-D
    get warm and cuddle bess! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that first dress and the amazing accessories you paired with it. You have the most incredible brooches! That Norwegian style jumper is so cute! I love it! It sounds like the temperatures have been very chilly where you are. Thank goodness you have lots of beautiful warm pieces to choose from! I am so sorry to hear that you were unwell. I hope things will turn around soon! You always walk in the most beautiful places. The snow everywhere makes everything look even more picturesque!


    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon! We haven't really had a cold Winter so far, apart from that handful of snow days! xxx

      Delete
  9. Nice look and great photos, I loved so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds so strange hearing you talk of snow and dressing so warmly when it's so very hot here! I do love how colourfully you layer for winter though, and I'm glad you found some bargains and were able to get out even though you gelt unwell. Hope you are fully over your cold now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It sounds strange the other way around as well :-) I can't imagine it being hot! xxx

      Delete
  11. Winter can be beautiful, so serene with that snow. But I'm waiting impatiently for spring and warner days. What a great looks I see here. Of course I always do! Love that belt and umbrella brooche! And those sweaters. There is a flu flying around here and a lot of people in our area feel sick. It feels like it's getting worse each winter. I hope you can go out today for a lovely nature walk. We will do so if its going to stop raining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy, and oh yes, I am definitely waiting for Spring and warmer days too! xxx

      Delete
  12. Those jumpers are gorgeous.. love the pop of color on a gray and dreary day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hena! Colour does make a grey and dreary day so much better! xxx

      Delete
  13. We haven't had a bit of snow here at just a light dusting which disappeared almost as soon as it arrived. It is lovely to walk in crunchy snow especially if no one else has walked in it before you...

    I loved all your outfits. Loved the plaid skirt with fab new jumper and the old one; loved the paisley frock with the shaggy orange cardigan and the lovely greeny blue skirt with the fur gilet. I must be eagle-eyed as I spotted the new orange belt!!

    Bess is indeed very queen like!

    Hope you've been restored to normal good health...
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! I'm glad to hear you spotted the belt. I'm back to normal good health in the meantime, although I'm very wary of getting another cold! xxx

      Delete
  14. Lovely to see your beautiful winter dresses and colourful knits!, you're looking fab even if that lurgy keeps on annoying you, poor girl!. Get well soon!
    Love that classic brown dress, no wonder it's one of your favourites, and love those greenish-teal accessories!.
    So gorgeous knit skirt, totally agree about its gorgeous jacquard pattern, and so cool furry gilet!, looking comfy&cool!.
    Those new-to-you jumpers are so delightfully colourful. Lovely ensembles around your plaid skirt, those jumpers add lots of grooviness!
    Glad that you had a day off on Friday, so you could take your time to pick an outfit. And such a gorgeous one!. Love the paisley-esque pattern (perfect definition!) and so beautiful colours!.
    Well done on going for a walk to clear your mind and body!, sometimes a walk under the trees makes a difference!. Looking lovely, well wrapped in your cute coat and scarf and those amazing boots, perfectly dressed for a walk on some crunchy snow!. So fab photos (But the best one is the last one!, Her Royal Highness! ;D)
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! That definitely was one hell of a cold, but thankfully I'm rid of it now. Now we just need some more sunshine instead of all that rain. Perhaps I should send some of it your way? xxx

      Delete
  15. Oh, wee Bess is just the cutest! I love seeing all of your gorgeous clothes, Ann, and am sending you good vibes that your cold has left you at last!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh, I enjoyed this jaunt to Duffle! Such a beautiful place.
    I'm enjoying your outfits too and the new fairisle jumper. I like the outfits you put together when you were at home! It's quite nice seeing flatlays!
    Bess is a sweetie! I want to rub that tummy!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kezzie! I'm not sure Bess would allow you to rub her tummy, but we definitely can! xxx

      Delete
  17. Your zebra necklace is gorgeous. I love all the outfits you showed us, the all brown one, the brown and blue one, and the one with that lovely pattern dress contrasted with orange red details (belt and cardi).
    Lovely photos from your outing as well.
    I've been feeling under the weather too. I've got a cold I cannot rid myself of and a terrible cough everyone seems to be having. Is it a cough epidemic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana, and I'm sorry to hear you've been under the weather as well. Isn't that cough terrible indeed? xxx

      Delete
    2. It has finally passed but my throat is still sore. I can't wait for it to finally heal. My challenge is that I talk pretty much all day at work. When I get back from school, I tutor students and talk some more!

      Delete
  18. P.S. Bess is certainly very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Some great finds there. I hope Bess kept you good company in your time on the sofa - nothing like a furry friend when poorly.

    ReplyDelete