Sunday 3 March 2024

Confessions of a Broochaholic

Can you believe it's March already? Never mind that January and February felt neverending at times, in hindsight they seem to have passed in the blink of an eye. It's all a bit of a blur though, so I'm glad of my blog keeping track of time, enabling me to look back and see how I spent my days.

It's almost beyond belief that I've been regularly churning out blog posts for 8 years now. When Beate recently went on a trip down memory lane to October 2015, she was surprised when I commented that I wasn't a citizen of blogland yet at the time. But yes, it's definitely true that I only published my first post on the 5th of March 2016!



But I'm running ahead of myself again, as here I am, ready for February's edition of our favourite indoor flea market on Sunday the 18th. 

It was the perfect day for it, as it was wet and very windy, which made the alleged highs of 9°C feel quite a bit chillier. It might, in fact, have been a tad too chilly for this purple and white diamond patterned vintage dress I insisted on giving its first outing and therefore required a couple of layers.

I'm rather partial to a purple paired with chartreuse, so I opted for a pair of opaques, a purple-edged cardigan and a triple strand necklace in the latter. 




On my feet, my super comfy caramel suede lace-up ankle boots. They're from a label called No Stress  and were a charity shop find in December 2022. They really do live up to their name: even lacing them up is stressless as they've got handy side zippers!

Vintage dress from Think Twice
Soaked in Luxury cardigan: charity shopped
Necklace: flea market find
Peacock feather brooch: charity shopped in Llangollen in June 2019
Opaques: high street sales bargain



Now on to the flea market!

We'd hardly walked in when, out of the corner of my eye, I spotted this rather spectacular wicker tote bag. As I made a beeline for it, I realized I recognized the stall, which turned out to belong to Wannes and Ilona. We first met this lovely couple on a flea market in Antwerp in the early days of my blog, and their well curated stall always draws us like a magnet.

The tote bag is lined in a fabulous floral fabric and came with a surprise wash bag which was hiding at the bottom.



As Wannes was kindly putting it aside for us to pick up later, I scanned the rest of the stall and was captivated by this cute little lidded wicker bag, which obviously had to come home with me as well. In my mind's eye - or should that be ear - I could hear the IKEA coat stand in our bedroom heaving a big sigh.

I also found the first of the day's brooches here, which you'll get to see later on.



I shilly-shallied over the T.G. Green Cornishware Raisins canister. Although its asking price was a mere € 5, I walked away because it was missing its lid. We'd hardly gone a couple of meters when the seller came running after us bearing the canister and declaring we could have it for € 3. Well, who were we to say no? When I posted it on Instagram later that day, someone in the know told me it was an absolute bargain!



It was an excellent market for brooches, as I added no less than 10 of them to my collection. 

Below, clockwise from top left: enamelled mushroom brooch, wooden deer brooch (from Wannes and Ilona), wood look flower brooch and Edelweiss hiking souvenir brooch, both made from some kind of early plastic.



Below, from left: glass beaded brooch, diamanté and gold-tone lobster brooch and green and translucent paste brooch. They were all picked up from the heaped costume jewellery stall of another flea market habitué: a very chatty older lady who lives in the next village to ours.



The middle of the next row of brooches also came from her, while the other two, which are among my favourites, are from separate random stalls. The funky enamelled one on the left was the most expensive at € 12, while the souvenir brooch from the tiny but picturesque city of Dinant in Wallonia - the French speaking part of Belgium - surprisingly was only € 6.



After I've been asked more than once if I've still got space for all the brooches I keep finding and how exactly I'm storing them, I thought it was time I enlightened those readers who aren't already in the know. 

It all started innocently enough when the handful of modern brooches I already owned were joined by the first of the vintage ones I found on flea markets and in charity shops. Slowly but surely my collection was growing until the boxes I was keeping them in were starting to overflow.



When Jos mentioned my predicament to a friend, he came up with a fantastic solution in the form of several dark wooden drawers which were originally used to store his collection of coins. Soon, the original three were no longer adequate, at which point I was given another three, as well as the big black hinged box (below) in which I'm keeping my most fragile and precious ones. Contrary to the others in my collection, these are rarely worn for fear of damaging them.



Still my collection kept growing until it got rather cramped inside those lovely wooden drawers. 

In December 2018 my dream of finding one of those antique wooden chests with glass-fronted drawers, formerly used to display sewing threads in haberdashery shops, finally came true. Until then, the ones we had come across had been eye-wateringly expensive, so we were overjoyed to find this one for an affordable price as its top was slightly cracked.



That was five years ago, but apart from a brief lull courtesy of Covid-19, I obviously didn't stop collecting as, let's face it, they're rather addictive. They're such a fun thing to collect and generally quite affordable too. I rarely spend more than € 15  on a brooch and the vast majority of my finds were less than € 10.

To cut a long story short: I am yet again at risk of running out of space. But fear not: help has already arrived, as I've recently acquired another two of those wooden drawers and an additional hinged box ...




It was back to the office on Monday, and with the grey and rainy week that followed, it was at times hard to stay positive, particularly since work was relentless. 

Still, I was determined to find some things to smile about each day. 

As I was running an errand at Hema - a well-known Dutch chain of department stores - the sight of the row of Miffy cushions lining the escalators to the second floor made me whip out my phone. At the same time, they're emphasizing the demise of the restaurant which used to be up there, and which was inexplicably closed at the end of last year.



Another smile came in the form of this Tiffany-style owl lamp which came to live at Dove Cottage on Wednesday, a gift from Jos's youngest daughter An. Isn't he fabulous?




I only worked half a day on Friday - we were the 23rd by now - which was nothing short of a blessing for more than one reason. Regular as clockwork, a neverending succession of concrete mixers are turning up at the Art Deco tower building each Friday, making one hell of a headache inducing racket.

Although I've got to admit that those candy-striped mixers do look quite the part from our 5th floor perch ...


The overnight storm called Louis, with lots of rain, had brought the temperature down to 8°C by Friday.

It was still drizzly and miserable, so I didn't wear my pink suede boots out. However, as they turned out to be a perfect match with my outfit, I insisted on wearing them for that day's outfit photos.

And no, my dress isn't grey but the kind of green my camera refuses to register. Its fabric is sprinkled with multicoloured hundreds and thousands.




I guess it won't be a surprise when I tell you the dress came from Think Twice? However, I did replace its rather nondescript buttons with vintage green ones with a bit of pink in it from my stash.  

Both my pink plastic ring and the pink belt edged in green plastic stitching were found on the high street, the latter a sales bargain from Mango in the Summer of 2022. The pale pink beads are from a long-gone vintage shop, and the pink and white metal peacock brooch was a charity shop find in May 2016. Without the aid of my blog, it would have been impossible to keep track of those things! 



39 comments:

  1. Very nice pins. The drawers for tidying are an amazing idea. The dress is just great, the green buttons match it. Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katerina! I'm so glad I've got those drawers to keep my collection in order. xxx

      Delete
  2. What an amazing collection of brooches and what a fantastic way to store them.
    I love the Tiffany owl. I did smile at Miffy - the original books were better than the modern ones, I think. x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice! I do agree about the original Miffy books being better than the modern ones! xxx

      Delete
  3. sometimes, when someone askes me "which year it was" i do grab the notebook to look it up in the blog :-D
    love the green dress that looks gray in photos! once i had a very curvy green tweed dress from the 50s - and wore it to dead.....
    well done to look out for things that make you smile - those bunnies on the escalators are fun indeed. and yes - the colourful concrete truck are quite a sight - especially all in a row :-D
    the beautiful owl lamp was a lovely gift! tiffany lamps make such a warm soft light......
    broochaholic indeed :-DDD
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate! I'd be lost without my journal and my blog. Grey days and office days are often a blur, so looking for things that make me smile definitely improves my mental health, even if it's a row of noisy but colourful concrete trucks :-) xxx

      Delete
  4. I can't believe it's March already and I'm loving that it's light before 7am now, yippee!
    Both your dresses look lovely, chartreuse with purple is a fantastic combination. I love both your new bag find, I have a near identical sister to the rectangular one only the handles on mine are slightly different. It's totally impractical to use but looks so pretty hanging up! I'm glad the Ikea hatstand coped with the extra weight.
    Your brooch collection is astonishing and so beautifully stored, too.
    Your owl lamp is gorgeou, what a thoughtful gift from An! Loving those Miffy cushions, she's how I learnt to read.
    What would we do without our blogs for referencing things? Whenever one of us dithers about what to pack we can look back at what we wore previous holidays rather than create a floordrobe by emptying the wardrobe looking for inspiration! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! You're right about the bag being totally impractical, and I do often look back at my blog for inspiration! xxx

      Delete
  5. Congrats on your Blogoversary!, reading your blog has become such a part of my quotidian life (even if I comment less than I'd like) and I always feel inspired by your vintage love and your talent.
    Concerning fab outfits, that purple & chartreuse ensemble is really lovely. Love that diamond pattern!
    Also fab straw bag and cute little wicker basket (soooo cute!)
    I'm admiring again and again that haberdashery drawer you found for your brooches, that's a really stylish way to keep everything tidy and visible!
    That owl lamp totally stole my heart, so beautiful!
    And glad that you decided to style your pink boots, even if only for your blog. Totally matchy and fabulous ensemble, love particularly that brooch and pink accessories!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica, that is such a lovely comment! I love how we blogger girls are inspiring each other, and I'm so glad I found you and your blog! xxx

      Delete
  6. Your brooch collection is something to behold and your storage solution beautifully stylish to match!
    What a lovely gift the owl lamp is!
    It's very strange that your camera isn't registering that shade of green, although I can sort of make it out in the top left photo of your final grid. Either way, it's gorgeous and those boots look incredible with it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! Strangely enough, I hadn't worn that green dress in a long time ... xxx

      Delete
  7. Purple and chartreuse are a fantastic combination! Lovely outfit and I loved the outfit with the spectacular pink boots. I don't think I've ever seen long pink boots in a charity shop.

    And as for the brooch collection - wow! I can see you needing a room just for all the brooches - 'The Brooch Room'.

    The owl lamp was beautiful and what a fab gift.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! I'd never seen pink boots in a charity shop either. As for the "Brooch Room", we'd need an extension for that :-) xxx

      Delete
  8. What a stunning collection you have!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your 8th anniversary of blogging, Ann! I know, I would never remember my clothes, much less all my jewelry, without my blog as reference!

    I so enjoyed looking at all your found treasures - I adore the little lidded woven bag, and the brooches that call to me are the lobster and the middle brass/purple stone one.

    I love seeing how others organize their treasures - WOW, what a collection of brooches you have!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! Although they do not really compare, I was thinking of your lobster brooch when I spotted mine :-) xxx

      Delete
  10. Time flies by. I also am blogging since 2015 and it seems so long ago. Can't believe that I still feel the same passion about blogging. Love that Tiffany , like, lamp. I saw a huge one, not a owl though in a antique shop in Lewes years ago. Still regret not buying it. Can't wait to stroll around English antique shops. You have a amazing collection of brooches. Really fantastic to look at let alone wear them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! Like you, I still feel the same passion about blogging, even if sometimes a lack of time gets in the way. xxx

      Delete
  11. I am not a brooch fan, but I love love love the wicker bag. What a find! Have a great week, Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regula! The wicker bag is gorgeous, isn't it? xxx

      Delete
  12. Happy Blogiversary!
    I like your brooch storage system better than my padded bulletin boards-it is easier to see what you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops, that was me, Goody. Blogger doesn't know me anymore.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Goody! How nice to hear from you, but how wicked of blogger not to know you anymore :-( xxx

      Delete
  13. It sounds like you had quite the adventure at the indoor flea market despite the chilly weather
    I just shared a new post on my blog. Let me know your views about it. www.melodyjacob.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melody, and I've added you to my reading list! xxx

      Delete
  14. I Love the pink and grey outfit! Beautiful choice...
    The brooch box is beautiful! All those drawers...fun to fill up.
    Hope all is well with you both!
    Happy weekend...
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna! Those drawers to fill up rather quickly, though :-) xxx

      Delete
  15. Happy blog anniversary!
    You always have such great flea market finds.
    Great outfits. The pink details are so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! I can't wait for the next edition of the flea market ... which will be next week! xxx

      Delete
  16. Wow Ann, you really do hve the best collection of brooches! I loved seeing how you store them. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jess! It took me some time to find the perfect storage solution for them though! xxx

      Delete
  17. You have a stunning collection. That pink nightingale is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hena, I'm glad you enjoyed my collection! xxx

      Delete
  18. I love the beautiful storage for your brooches, esp the Haberdashery container! Gorgeous! I've stopped collecting brooches as I just didn't have room and didn't end up wearing some of them so much but I do like the ones I have!
    I love the raspberry boots and how you styled them! So pretty!! Kezzie xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie! I could use another one of those haberdashery chests, but they're hard - and expensive - to come by. Thankfully, Jos's friend gave me some more of those shallow drawers! xxx

      Delete
  19. The Cornish ware is a steal Ann. Goes for loads of money in these parts. Love the owl lamp, keeping a beady eye on all things at Dove Cottage. So nice to see your collections xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lulu! I'm glad to hear the Cornish ware was a steal. I've got a couple of items but - heaven forbid - I'm not actually collecting :-) xxx

      Delete