Wednesday 13 March 2024

Life in March

March at last, and soon we'll be bidding farewell to Winter and welcome Spring. 

As if that isn't enough to put a spring in my step this will also be my last month of full-time employment, ever. The end of an era, so to speak, and about time too. No more squandering part of my holiday quota on those much needed Fridays off. No more measly two-day weekends in which there's never enough time to call my own. The First of April cannot come soon enough!


But we're not there just yet, and as the thought of another month of five-day working weeks made me break on in a sweat, I decided to take Friday the First of March off. 

It had been a grey and rainy week, so the sunshine which greeted us that morning was welcomed with open arms. Sadly, however, it didn’t last: by the time we'd finished breakfast it had turned into another  miserable and windblown day. One of those washed-out days which needed a hefty dose of colour!

The temperature might have reached double digits - if only just - a nasty wind made it feel quite a bit chillier, so that I needed some warmth as well. 




My bottle green faux-suede skirt was a pre-Covid retail buy from Mango and has proved to be worth its weight in gold. I couldn't imagine my Winter wardrobe without it!

This time around I paired it with a red patterned Diolen blouse - one of that week's Think Twice sales bargains  - which I topped with a charity shopped shaggy yellow cardigan. The multi-coloured wooden beads and the pale green suede belt with its groovy beaded buckle were charity shop finds as well. 

In honour of St. David's Day, I pinned a felted daffodil brooch to my blouse. It came all the way from Wales, purchased at the end of a most wonderful day spent at the National Trust owned Chirk Castle last June.



Obviously, the Diolen blouse wasn't the only thing that followed me home from the Think Twice sales that week. Over several lunch breaks, I found a round blue crochet bag (€ 4), a pair of wooden clog sandals from the Swedish Moheda brand (€ 2) and a floral button-through cotton skirt (€ 4, below bottom left and right).



The skirt on the top left and right is by Esprit and was my one and only charity shop find on Friday. I guess that in the run-up to the much maligned Retro Day - which would be on the 9th of March this year - there was little chance of any exciting finds ...

The rest of the day was spent doing some gentle pottering, which included rearranging my brooches and filling those additional wooden drawers Jos's friend was kind enough to supply me with. My attempts to count the number of brooches in my collection failed miserably, but at a rough guess I'd say there might be between 700 and 750 of them ... Oops!



As I was reclining on the sofa with my current read that evening, Bess jumped onto its back and actually allowed me to grab my phone and take several photos of her. Aren't our striped sitting room curtains an amazing backdrop for madam's state portraits? 



We woke up to the sun streaming through our windows again on Saturday morning, and this time she was here to stay until late afternoon. 

While enjoying our fruit & yoghurt that morning, we noticed that we weren't the only ones having breakfast. There's a family of mice living in our shed at the back of the garden and we loved watching the acrobatics of the most forward of the bunch who was climbing up and down the bird feeder.




I hadn't worn this wool-blend dress with its vibrant watercolour print for far too long, and with my Winter wardrobe soon to be on its way out, it was a question of now or never.

Charity shopped many years ago, it came with a self-fabric belt with a pink plastic buckle. However, I replaced the latter with a wide, bright pink suede belt picked up in last Summer's sales, as I wanted it to be in keeping with my necklace and my famous (or should that be infamous) pink suede boots.


Although they're both doing their best to hide from view, I was wearing a ring with a sage green stone and a pair of opaques in the same colour, matching the Miracle brooch I pinned to my dress's bodice.

Determined to make the most of the dry and relatively sunny weather, we opted for a visit to Middelheim Sculpture Park. It goes without saying that the pink boots didn't come along, but were replaced by the scruffy old pair I usually wear for our Winter walks.



Having found a convenient parking space which allowed us to get out of the car without stepping straight into a giant puddle, we entered through the so-called Artist's Entrance. 

Nothing is what it seems here, so I'm sure you won't be surprised that this is yet another work of art. 

The mushroom shaped canopy on its three slender pillars, which seems to be inspired by those iconic 1950s petrol stations, was created by Dutch artist John Körmeling (° 1951) in 2012. On top of the canopy the names of some of the resident artists are twinkling in lights, which looks particularly effective against a dark sky.



One of the first sights that greet you after the entrance itself is what looks like a building under construction, but is of course a work of art, called The Passage of the Hours, by Portuguese artist Pedro Cabrita Reis (°1956).  Measuring 8 x 8 x 24 metres, it is constructed of steel, brick, glass and fluorescent lamps.

The work refers simultaneously to a historic ruin and a recent remnant of a conflict. The artist himself is calling it a ‘serene disturbance’ and a "church without religion", the walls resembling the buttresses of a medieval cathedral. 



Before proceeding into the park proper, we passed the container installation on the top right which - you've guessed it - is a work of art as well. Created by the Belgian architect, urbanist and artist Luc Deleu (°1944), it dates from 2004 and is called Orbino.

The outlandish structure on the bottom left is called Sunwagon (1974) and is by another Belgian artist, Camiel van Breedam (°1936).  Apparently, it is meant to be - again in the words of the artist - a chariot made to transport the sun to an ideal place. It doesn't seem to be working though!


As the art in the park is still on the move, things tend to be a bit chaotic, with lots of empty plinths awaiting their new inhabitants. Some of the sculptures which have already been moved to their new spots are still looking a bit out of context but I'm sure it will all work out when this gargantuan task has finally been completed.

Instead of doing our usual tour of the park, keeping mainly to the part called Middelheim Hoog (High), we decided to cross the street and explore Middelheim Laag (Low).

As we were waiting at the zebra crossing, I took the opportunity to photograph the mural at the back of the castle. The mural is a work by the American artist Lawrence Weiner (°1940) and is called Wind and the Willows. The mural reads "Iron and gold in the air, pollen and smoke on the ground”, with the Dutch translation on top.


Having safely made it across the road, we walked on one of the main paths in Middelheim Laag, soon coming across the Column Pavilion (above, top left). Created by Belgian architect Charles Vandenhove (1927-2019) between 1984 and 1992, it is both a work of art and a pavillion for exhibiting smaller open-air art.

I'm sure some of the sculptures must be quite envious of Sphairos (1998) by the Austrian artist Franz West (1947- 2012), having a little shelter from the rain all of its own!

Once again, I neglected to investigate who the menacing creatures on opposite side of the pond are, but the four marble stones which are bathing in the water are aptly called The Bathers (1994). Their Italian creator, Luciano Fabro (1937-2007), drew on a long tradition of portraying bathers, but preferred to render his in non-figurative stone. The cold marble takes on an almost human quality as the sunlight reflects in the rippling water and onto the marble’s gleaming veins. The marble, at times, seems to move, particularly when a breeze makes the reflected leaves flutter.



On our way back we came across this creepy sculpture high up in a tree. A plaque identified it as one of Two figures for Middelheim (1993) by the Spanish sculptor Juan Muñoz (1953-2001).

There was no sign of the second one, though ...

Muñoz robs his bronze figures of any illusion of movement, sight and speech. While sculptors like Rodin endeavoured to make their figures as animated as possible, Muñoz drew attention to the immobility of a bronze sculpture. His figures have no legs and are imprisoned in a straitjacket that resembles a sack, while their arms hang down lifeless like the limbs of a ragdoll. And if this were not tragic enough, he installs them at unreachable height in a tree, separating them from one another with a pathway. 

 It's clear we'll have to go back when the second one has been installed as well.


I'm leaving you now with a quick look at Sunday's outfit. Both the grey wool skirt criss-crossed with yellow, red, green, black and white diagonals, and the green short-sleeved Dralon cardigan were vintage finds from Think Twice, my yellow flower patterned jumper came from Oxfam and both the red necklace and my green ankle boots were charity shopped. 



My green beaded brooch was a flea market find and, finally, my half-elasticated belt with its massive square buckle was a sales bargain from a high street shop.

That's all for now, I hope to see you again soon!



30 comments:

  1. Congratulations Ann, only 2 weeks left. 🥂 Another era begins for you. I understand you.
    Wow you really have soooo many brooches. I'm thrilled.Oops.🤭
    The mouse family is cute, I would watch that too.
    Your looks are so beautifully combined, I can't decide which one I like best. 😁
    With a huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! I love watching the antics of the mice family ... and so does Bess! xxx

      Delete
  2. Bess looks very regal. What would she do if she saw the little mouse and its family?
    Lots of lovely outfits, as usual. I love the wool-blend dress - it's such a pretty colour.
    The sculptures are interesting, though I don't like the one in the tree, and would worry about it falling on someone. I had to laugh at the petrol station inspired canopy - I can't imagine anyone being inspired by something so utilitarian and unattractive, but then, that's why I'm not an artist! x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid blood will be shed if Bess could get her paws on one of those mice ... xxx

      Delete
  3. thank you dear ann for all the photos of the sculpures and art work in the park!! i´m still a bit envious that you have such at your doorstep ;-) the "artist´s entrance" is a stunner - that colour! and yes - this hung up bronce man in a sleeping bag is totally creepy - imagin coming along in the dark and seeing it in flashlight........ hu.
    4 day week in almost there! enjoy it!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate, and I've made it to 4-day week by now!
      Agree about the creepy sculpture and the artist's entrance. We went back to Middelheim today and I was impressed by how the move is coming along. It's going to be fantastic! xxx

      Delete
  4. I thought I liked brooches, but 700? Wow! I need to up my brooch collecting game, but it must be lovely just to sit and pick through them all. I've actually not been wearing many brooches of late. The grey weather is making me feel a bit less enthusiastic. I really need Spring to come too. I don't blame you looking forward to 1st April, how wonderful to not have to work full 5 day weeks! Those pink suede boots are divine, as is the blue crochet bag. I'm in the middle of crocheting myself a summer tote bag, it's hard work! That bronze sculpture in the tree is so creepy. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise! I absolutely love my brooch collection and picking one (or two) to wear on a particular day is so much fun. I'm hearing you on feeling a bit less enthusiastic though ... xxx

      Delete
  5. The countdown begins! We celebrate our anniversary on 1st April so we'll make sure we toast your newly found freedom that day, too.
    Bess looks absolutely gorgeous, if ever there was a Crufts for cats, she'd win best girl without a doubt!
    Stunning outfits, those new-to you raspberry suede boots fit into your wardrobe seamlessly and the Mango skirt was an inspired new buy.
    Fabulous finds, I'm very excited that you've joined the clog gang, they were a bargain. I'd have snaffled the navy bag, too.
    700 brooches! That's so impressive.
    Loved joining you and Jos for your trip to the wonderful Middelheim Sculpture Park. You're right about the tree mounted sculpture being a little creepy, I'm sure I saw a horror film featuring something similar once upon a time. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Anniversary - I've just realized it's today! xxx

      Delete
  6. I'm so excited for you Ann...the countdown begins!
    Love your daffodil brooch in honour of St. David's Day and that gorgeous blue crochet bag and the blue clogs were excellent finds!
    I saw the photos of Bess on Instagram. She's so beautiful! You were lucky to be able to capture the mouse. I wonder if Bess can see their antics..?
    Middelheim Sculpture Park must be huge as I've barely seen any repetition of sculptures in your posts. The entrance looks like it could house a monorail, but I totally get the petrol station inspiration. I love those curves...so pleasing to the eye. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire!
      Bess is keeping a close eye on those mice :-)
      And I've looked it up for you, Middelheim is about 30 hectares! xxx

      Delete
  7. The entrance looks like a gigantic mushroom. I love it! Enjoy your weekend, soon it will be three days off, won't it? Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regula, and yes, it's three days off from now on! xxx

      Delete
  8. How exciting that this will be your last month of full-time work! Hurrah! I am so excited for you. I know you will make the most of the extra time for yourself! Also, I just adore that shaggy yellow cardigan. What a perfect way to add colour to an outfit! That blue crochet bag is such a great find and so are the clog sandals. The pictures of Bess are adorable! So glad you went to the sculpture park. It looks like such a special place. I love living vicariously through your adventures!

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon, and you're welcome to tag along any time! xxx

      Delete
  9. The first of April is getting nearer! It's almost rare to work 5 days a week in these times. What a gorgeous outfit with the pink boots. And I adore the sage green ring. What a gigantic amount of brooches you own! Fabulous. We want to go to our sculpture park soon. But we are always there when it rains. We want to see it with some sunshine! Haha, that would feel as if we visit it for the first time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first of April is here :-) I hope you can go to your sculpture park soon. We went back to ours this afternoon! xxx

      Delete
  10. I know we talked about when you might retire when we met either last year or the previous one. I'm so glad you bit the bullet. Did recent events make your decision easier?
    Loving the gorgeous Diolen blouse and whole outfit! I enjoyed my visit to Middleheim.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie! I'm not retiring just yet - in a year or two probably - but I'll be working only 4-day weeks from now on, which is already very exciting! xxx

      Delete
  11. April 1st and pensioner... and none of this is an April Fool's joke :-) I think you can hardly wait... it's so nice to be able to organize your time yourself... I have to say, it's pretty much all I do Whatever I feel like doing, I do a lot of things that I've always wanted to do, but never had the time... Anticipation... is such a beautiful thing.
    Lots of love to you.
    Sunday greeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Viola, but I'm not a pensioner just yet. I'm just working 4-day weeks from now on ... xxx

      Delete
  12. Glad that your five days work week is coming to an end and glad that so much relaxed and extended weekends are coming!.
    Lovely and colourful outfit in red and yellow with the so practical&cool green skirt. Love the colour combo and particularly that red blouse!
    Fabulous finds, those floral skirts look lovely!
    Totally in love with those pics you took of Bess is her Gloriousness!, posing like a Queen as she is.
    That pink watercolour dress looks really enhanced by those pink boots and belt and the Gorgeous Brooch obviously!. But I'm glad you were sensible and changed into walking boots for a walk outdoors!. Lovely pics of the park!
    I have a weakness for your grey skirt with those criss cross colours, lots of possibilities to mix and match, and you rock it with those red accessories and yellow and green altogether, so fabulous combo!, so inspiring!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! I might be a "princess" but Bess definitely IS a Queen. And both Jos and I are Her Majesty's personnel :-) xxx

      Delete
  13. Yay to no more full time job.
    That felt brooch is lovely. What a wonderful sculpture park!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hena! I can't believe 4-day weeks have finally arrived! xxx

      Delete
  14. Happy Gotchaversary, Bess! What a pretty little poser she is.

    I hope the brighter days are helping your mood a bit, and that you're able to relax on your day off. It all sounds tough for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mim! Brighter days are indeed beneficial for my mood. It's a pity there haven't been more of them lately! xxx

      Delete
  15. Ah, this post answers the question I've just pondered on a more recent one! (can you tell I'm on a big bloggy catchup!?!) 700 is the grand total of brooches. That's only 100 away from the powder tin collector!

    Thank you for taking us along to the sculpture park. Like Beate, I love the 1950s canopy entrance. Must look stunning at nightfall. Eugh - proper creepy bronze in the tree!!! There's a house near me that has a creepy bronze in an upper alcove. I was saying to the girls "there's the creepy statue house" as we walked past, not realising the owners were sat in their car in the drive way, with the windows down. Both girls told me off! :0

    Loving the red & yellow together in your outfit. So exciting not to have to work Fridays anymore xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lulu! My brooches will soon reach 800, I'm sure, but taking a lot less space than those powder boxes! The 1950s canopy entrance does indeed look pretty spectacular after dark! xxx

      Delete