Friday 8 March 2024

Ballad of the sad castle

It was Saturday the 24th of February, and we woke up with the rain pitter-pattering against our bedroom window. In spite of having had the luxury to sleep in, we still had a hard time dragging ourselves out of bed, and it was due to Bess's persistence that we finally made it downstairs. Contrary as cats are, she then promptly made herself comfortable in my recently vacated spot for one of her beauty sleeps.

The rain petered out while we were having breakfast, leaving a dry day with the odd sunny spot in its wake. 


At a miserly 6°C accompanied by a chilly wind, I knew I needed to dress warmly, which made me base my outfit around the recently charity shopped & Other Stories blanket skirt. Scanning my shelves of tops, my eyes settled on the blue, purple-patterned Wow To Go blouse I picked up from an outlet shop in November 2022. Aren't they a match made in heaven? When I repeated the outfit later that week, my friend Inez initially thought I was wearing a dress!



I echoed my tan pleated belt, which is Massimo Dutti by way of a charity shop, with my faithful tan mock croc boots and the funky mushroom brooch I found at the flea market the other week.

Although not actually matching any of my outfit's colours, I added a necklace of multi-coloured beads, matching my chunky plastic ring to the turquoise ones.



A morning of productive pottering was followed by our usual weekend lunch of homemade soup, after which we weighed up the pros and cons of going for a walk. However, it was really rather grim out there even in our sheltered passageway so, after making outfit photos we soon scuttled back inside.

Bess had been watching us from the kitchen table and Jos managed to catch her mid-yawn. Or perhaps she was just expressing her sentiment about the weather ...



We were still dithering about whether or not to go for a wee walk, and I'd actually already chucked my walking boots into the boot of the car, when the eye-stinging wind made us reconsider.

There was nothing for it but to go on a wee charity shopping trip instead, our first port of call being the Oxfam shop in Wilrijk. Pickings weren't plentiful as, apart from the books you'll get to see in a moment, I only found a green embroidered short-sleeved jumper.

The blue ribbed waterfall cardigan by Esprit and the denim blue skirt by the Belgian designer Nathalie Vleeschouwer were picked up from our local charity shop where we stopped off on our way home.



I was riffling through a rail of jumpers when my fingers met the sensory delight of the softest of knits which, on closer inspection, turned out to belong a cobalt blue jumper with a ruffled collar. I gasped when I saw the Sonia Rykiel label, shaking my head in disbelief at the fact that its price tag was a mere € 5,90.  Sonia Rykiel (1930-2016) was a French fashion designer whose knitwear designs led her to be dubbed the "Queen of Knits".



Back at Oxfam, I was thrilled to stumble across Affinity by Sarah Waters. I became hooked after finding The Night Watch last year - in the same shop, if I remember correctly - and this will be my fourth novel by her. It is waiting in the wings for when I've finished my current read.

The De Westhoek book dates from 1979 and tells a pictorial story, with atmospheric black and white photos, about Belgium's west country and the area where we've been spending our September holidays for many years in particular.



Poor lighting courtesy of the dismal weather we'd been having of late had prevented me from photographing the rest of the previous weekend's charity shop finds. So here they are. Both the dress and the blouse are by the defunct Belgian Who's That Girl label. For the record: they were picked up in the charity shop in Mechelen on Saturday the 17th. Knowing the label - and its sister Wow To Go - quite well I instantly spotted the blouse although it was hiding on the nightwear rail!




Fast forwarding again to Sunday the 25th. Slightly warmer and with less wind to throw a spanner in the works, it nevertheless was one of those days on which the weather gods seemed to be in disagreement. Angry black rainclouds alternated with patches of blue and sudden and often short-lived sunny spells.

Another Winter favourite - a textured polyester dress with a kind of Moroccan tile print - came out to play. It was joined by a chunky knit orange long-line cardigan, rust-coloured opaques and blue Western style mid-calf boots.



My accessories were a mix of vintage (carved floral brooch), charity shopped (beaded necklace and orange perspex ring) and retail (tan mock croc belt).

The weather forecast insisted it would rain in the afternoon, so we decided upon a quick head-clearing walk in the morning, for which we drove to our neighbouring village, Edegem.




Surprisingly, we hadn't visited Hof ter Linden and its crumbling castle since June, at which time we'd just skirted the domain and walked along the reed-edged moat. In fact, our penultimate close encounter with the poor castle had been well over a year ago!

As we were walking up the the cobbled avenue lined with a double row of age-old lime trees, the sun decided to do one of her disappearing acts, leaving an almost black and white landscape. The only pops of colour were provided by the mosses and a pair of green parakeets cavorting among the tangle of branches (above, bottom left).


Before crossing the moat and entering the courtyard through the ornate wrought iron gates, we were halted in our tracks by the sight of what we supposed was some kind of orangery - well, there was a potted orange tree in there - which we couldn't remember having seen before. So, either our memories failed us completely, or the thing had been half-hidden by exuberant shrubbery before.



After admiring and investigating it from all angles, we stepped through the gates and into the courtyard, which is flanked by beautifully restored coach houses and stables. I guess the one on the east side must have been the stables judging from the name of the fancy restaurant located here.

Contrary to its opposite neighbour, Brasserie Hof ter Linden, it didn't seem to be open on a Sunday, which was confirmed by a quick look at their website. 



The castle itself was beckoning us as usual, but it was with more than just a little trepidation that we walked into its direction. 

Before we could advance any closer, however, a group of scouts cubs arrived and installed themselves into the four columned portico to eat their packed lunches.




We hastily retreated around the back, where we were sad to see that the castle's increasing state of deterioration is still ongoing, and quite heart-breakingly so.

There has been talk of restoring the castle for many years, but so far it hasn't happened. Now it seems that plans are getting concrete and that the much awaited restoration works, which are estimated to cost around five million euros, are expected to start this spring. 

They say hope springs eternal, but I'd have to actually see it to believe it. They'll certainly have their work cut out to restore what I can't help keep thinking of as the Iced Castle to its former glory.




One thing that's been happening is that earlier this year a start has been made with clearing the sludge from the clogged-up castle pond and moat. This did somewhat limit our options, as it ruled out taking  the path around the pond as we often do. 



Instead we walked back the way we'd come, giving the scout cubs who were still enjoying their lunch a wide birth, and having a good old gossip with the resident lions, sphinxes and cherubs instead.







28 comments:

  1. Sometimes it can be hard to get up, right? I like how Bess both inspired you to get up and took your place after you did. Cats are precious. Winter styling can be challenging, especially when it's cold, but you did so well. Great outfits. The first one is so pretty. I really like your blanket skirt. It's both stylish and cozy. That shade of blue is so pretty. I also like the blue blouse with the purple pattern.
    The outfit with the polyester dress is lovely as well. The pattern that is reminiscent of a Moroccan tile print is lovely! The orange cardigan is a great pairing for it. Wonderful styling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! It'll get easier getting up once the weather improves, I guess. xxx

      Delete
  2. Sad times when the skies are grey. So thanks to happy clothing! Have a nice weekend. xxx Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, and we still haven't had many blue sky days :-( xxx

      Delete
  3. I'm loving all the blue Ann! The first outfit is a stunner - definitely a match made in heaven and that ruffle neck cobalt blue jumper was an incredible find!
    Grey days are the worst, but at least you made the best of it. We have green parakeets in our local park, but I've yet to see them. One of the rumours for the reason they are popping up increasingly in the UK, is that Jimi Hendrix released them from Carnaby Street in the 1960s, although I've also read that there were sightings in Victorian times. The Hendrix theory is much cooler though! :-D xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! What a fascinating story about Jimi Hendrix and the green parakeets! xxx

      Delete
  4. the rykiel jumper is a beauty!!
    ....only topped by bess and her teeth :-D
    feel sorry for the grim weather - and for the still neglected castle..... but atleast you got out & about.
    hugs! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beate! We still haven't had much sunshine, but at least the incessant rain is making everything lush and green! xxx

      Delete
  5. I really like the first outfit. I really liked the way you presented the details in the castle, your kitty, overall I really liked the post. Have a nice Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This ice castle is a beautiful building. I hope it gets renovated really soon.
    It's gray but you carry colors into spring, even if you have to dress warmly. with a huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! At least we are both bringing some colour to the grey days! xxx

      Delete
  7. Such a pity when buildings like that are not restored. Don't you also love to read books that play in a area you know. I love to read books that take place in the South of England. Its like I'm there! Our little break is planned again, in May. Love your first look! What a match. And the denim skirt and green knit are wonderful! Have a great start of the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! The castle's restoration seems to be imminent now, though. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
      Glad to hear you'll be going to the UK again in May. We won't be far behind you in June! xxx

      Delete
  8. Oh! I hope they restore the castle! It's beautiful now but would be more so if someone brought back it's beauty!
    Speaking of beauty...The Sonia Rykiel sweater is YOU!! It's so feminine! The ruffled collar is just lovely...my favorite!
    Happy week dear friend!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna! I'll keep you all posted about the castle's imminent restoration! xxx

      Delete
  9. I do hope they restore the castle, you can see it's a beauty.

    What wonderful things you found on your weekend charity shop rummages. The Sonia Rykiel jumper being my favourite. I loved the '& Other Stories' skirt and shirt outfit; absolutely beautiful and a match made made in heaven.

    You'll enjoy 'Affinity'; it was my first Sarah Water's read many years ago and I was hooked. She must be due new book out this year I think; I must check...
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! I couldn't believe my luck when I spotted the Sonia Rykiel jumper! Oh, and I'm currently reading "Affinity" and loving it very much! xxx

      Delete
  10. That outfit is so beautiful. The skirt and patterned blouse together is just perfection! I just love that yawning photo of Bess! What a cute moment to capture. I'm sorry the weather wasn't great, but at least there was that blue ribbed waterfall cardigan. What a find! I just adore that neckline. Also, that textured polyester dress with the tile print paired with the cardigan and those amazing accessories? Just fabulousness from head to toe. I am forever inspired by your outfits. The photos from Hof ter Linden are breathtaking! They look right out of a movie! The wrought iron gates are so picturesque.

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Shannon, and I'm honoured that you are inspired by my outfits! xxx

      Delete
  11. I can see why your friend thought the top/skirt were a dress - aren't they just a match made in heaven!? What a fabulous skirt that is. I laughed at Ms. Bess stealing the warm spot (Vizzini does that too), and her ginormous yawn.

    I gasped at your Sonia Rykiel find, Ann! what a gorgeous jumper, and that neckline and ruffle? I'm swooning over here.

    Love the pics of the Castle - I hope they do a good job restoring it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That skirt and the Sonia Rykiel jumper are among my best finds ever! xxx

      Delete
  12. I'm obsessed with blue lately so I'm loving your blue hued outfits, that wonderful And Other Stories skirt and the Sonia Rykiel jumper would have found their way home with me, too. Combined with the print top, the skirt really does blend beautifully.
    That's a wonderful capture of Bess, doesn't she look ferocious?
    Has it really been a year since you and Jos last visited Hof ter Linden? Those sexy sphinxes always remind me of the coadstone ones that flank Croome. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! I keep thinking we should put Croome on our itinerary, but It's a bit too far from where we stay ... xxx

      Delete
  13. That Sonia Rykiel sweater was SUCH a find! I love the match with your Other Stories skirt. It's sad about the castle- I hope it gets some TLC! Kezzie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie! It seems the castle's restoration is now imminent, and I'm keeping my fingers firmly crossed! xxx

      Delete
  14. Really lovely blue-purple ensemble, I don't know if I love more the delightfully matchy colour, the groovy prints or the fab accessorizing!. Totally agree it's a match made in heaven!. But you found a matchy jumper too, and it's by Sonia Rykiel!, gorgeous piece!.
    Also lovely 'blue tiles' dress with those orange and tan accessories, such a beautiful ensemble!.
    Always lovely to join you for a walk!, so fabulous pictures!, that last one is particularly gorgeous! ;D
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Monica! You're always welcome to tag along on my walks! xxx

      Delete