Tuesday 2 January 2024

A Midwinter walk

At the end of my last post I mentioned that Bess had only climbed into the lower branches of the faux fir twice since putting the thing up on the 15th of December. We were already getting our hopes up for next year, thinking it might be safe to start using our fragile vintage baubles again ... Well, what can I say? How wrong we could have been! 

While we were having lunch last Thursday, we suddenly heard a rustling and a tinkling of bells - there are two tiny gold-tone bells among our cat-proof decs - and sure enough, our fickle feline had climbed and installed herself three-quarters up the tree, from where she sat looking at us as if butter wouldn't melt.



Although my blog hasn't even reached Christmas yet, I couldn't possibly not share the photos she willingly posed for, and it definitely wouldn't do to publish them mid-January when all thoughts of Christmas have long been banished. She's been in there on a daily basis ever since, dislodging branches left, right and centre, and I've got a funny feeling we'll be obliged to dismantle the tree well before 12th Night comes around.



Excuse all this going back and forth in the time machine, but after that brief intermission, let us return to Saturday the 16th of December.

My journal, which has once again been my saviour, tells me it was a grey and chilly, yet dry day, with the mercury nudging the double digits.

I plucked another vintage dress with a generous wool content out of my wardrobe. I fell for the rather unusual mix of leopard and zebra in its print in a charity shop almost exactly two years to the day. 



I opted for berry shades for its companions: the wide stretchy belt,  beaded necklace and chunky long-line cardigan by the Belgian high end label Hampton Bays were charity shopped over the years, while the ceramic leaping deer brooch was a flea market find. 

My outfit was bookended by a red Kangol beret and a pair of burgundy boots from Think Twice.

I've included a close-up of my patterned opaques, which were a sales bargain from haberdashery and accessories chain Veritas.


I spent the morning tackling some overdue chores and dusted the blue room, landing and most of the bedroom until it was time for lunch.

Oh, and I photographed my latest € 4 Think Twice buys, starting with an instant outfit in the form of a label-less Western style tartan blouse and a peasant-style skirt, the tattered remains of whose label proclaims that it was made in France and is a 50/50% wool and polyester blend.




I also grabbed this rust brown, green, yellow and white striped men's scarf for Jos, who has been wearing it on a daily basis ever since. What's more, he willingly posed in it in front of our local charity shop, which is where we were headed after lunch. The tan corduroy hat he is wearing was gifted to him by one of his many acquaintances from the village.



We were on the lookout for a small bin for our fruit and veg waste, so that we wouldn't have to venture outside to the compost heap all the time. Of course, the charity shop obliged! What's more, there was quite a choice, from which we selected a small purple brushed metal pedal bin, which was in perfect condition apart from the tiniest of dents.

While we were there, it would have been downright criminal not to browse the clothing aisles, where I found this pair of - again virtually unused - suede grey and olive green boots.



The weather looked much more promising on Sunday, when sunshine and blue sky did away with the clouds mid-morning. A persistent wind made it feel chillier than the forecasted highs of 8°C, so that I changed my thin bottle green King Louie cardigan for a chunkier one after we'd made these photos.

Underneath I was wearing a vintage psychedelic shift dress in shades of brown on white. In order to tame its tie collar, I pinned it with a sparkly peach coloured brooch. People are usually incredulous when I tell them it isn't vintage, but picked up brand new at H&M in the early noughties! I've even seen its sisters sold as vintage on flea markets.



My moss green suede belt was charity shopped, while both the pale peach flower corsage and my tan boots were supplied by the high street. The latter, too, were exchanged for a more sturdy and slightly scuffed pair before we left the house to go for a long-overdue walk.

Tossing around a couple of walking destinations during lunch, most of which were discarded as being too muddy after all the rain the weather gods had sent our way lately, we decided to drive down to Den Brandt, one of the cluster of parks to the south of the city of Antwerp.



Creatures of habit that we are, we parked our car in a quiet side street around the corner and entered the park through the public picking garden, now quite bare and sparse looking apart from some hardy yet straggling herbs hanging on for dear life.


The poor Gautam Buddha was still sitting in the gras next to his perch, from which he was separated many months ago. 

His offerings were rather sparse too: a small sprig of ivy, a bright pink bloom, a braided ribbon, a coin-shaped pendant on a shoestring and a black plastic button.  A kindly soul had made him a lovely crown of flowering Rosemary tied with red ribbon.



The low and dazzling Midwinter sunshine had been soaking up some of the moisture from the saturated soil and was hazing the horizon as we climbed the steps into park.

We were somewhat out of our depths at first, our feet and limbs rusty from being out of practice. We were feeling strangely lightheaded as, putting our weight on to our walking sticks, we shielded our eyes from the blinding rays of the sun.

Among the desiccated reeds, the bronzed bracken and the gold and russet leafed carpet at our feet, the evergreen shrubs and pine trees stood out quite outlandishly.




I added complementing colours with my outerwear: the moss green and tan double-breasted textured wool jacket I snapped up from Think Twice at the end of September, belted with a retail buy tan leather belt, a tan beret and ditto handbag - both charity shopped - and an Autumnal hued scarf bought from H&M back in the mists of time.



The skeleton trees, contrasting starkly with the wedgwood blue sky, were catching the sun between their twisted branches. 

Then, suddenly, our first glimpse of the romantic late-classical castle, at first glance looking like a freshly and perfectly iced cake, until a closer look puts paid to that illusion as the cracks and fault-lines become apparent. They're currently renovating the so-called English cottage which is part of the estate, so hopefully the castle itself is next on the agenda?


We walked along the sweeping lawn at the back of the castle, well away from the edge of the moat which was overgrown with rampant reeds. Just before crossing the bridge and walking to the French-inspired parterre at the front, I snapped this photo of the top half of the castle rising - Manderley-style - above a bank of rhododendrons. 




Our last visit before returning to our car was to the "Dancing Nymphs", who have been reeling around the fountain in front of the castle since the park opened to the public in 1911. Purchased by the city of Antwerp at the 1910 World Fair in Brussels, and officially called the "Three Graces", these mad-looking maidens with their demonic grimaces were created by German sculptor Walter Schott.

The fountain has been lying dormant for quite a few years now, but at least the rain had filled its base with water, providing a mirror for the maidens to preen themselves in. 



Meanwhile, my Christmas break has come and gone in the blink of an eye, and I actually had to go back to work today. 

I've still got a lot of catching up to do, though, as blog-wise 2023 isn't over just yet ... I will be back with Twixmas tales in a couple of days.

Happy New Year!



48 comments:

  1. Ahh, Bess - bless her! Jos looks very dapper, and a perfect companion. I love the Three Graces but what a pity they have no fountain to entertain them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice, and what a pity indeed :-( xxx

      Delete
  2. My Christmas decorations rarely last until 12th night. Once January hits I’m always eager to pack them away. I absolutely love your walking ensemble, all that lovely tweed. Happy New Year xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise! I was eager to pack them all away too, but we actually didn't have time until 12th night! xxx

      Delete
  3. I think your glassy Christmas ornaments have to wait in their boxes until Bess is an old lady tired of climbing trees. But then Bess itself is a lovely ornament on/in the tree.
    Sunshine in December was rare this year, so I am really happy we are in January knowing the longest nights are past us. I wish you a sunny January with lots to see in the parks around Antwerpen and of course successful treasure hunts in the thriftstores. xxx Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regula! I think you're right, and we will only be able to have a quick look at our vintage ornaments for quite a few years to come :-) xxx

      Delete
  4. fabulous animal print dress and i loved the jacket you wore for the walk.......
    but bess is clearly stealing the show!!! how cute the little cobold is looking out from that tree :-D :-D :-D
    happy new year! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bess is adorable.. and she knows it!
    Looks like a lovely walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hena, and you're right: she absolutely knows it! xxx

      Delete
  6. OMG, that is the cutest montage of kitty pics I've ever seen - I sent a copy to Logan to admire.

    Love the leopard and berry combination, and Jos looks very dapper in his scarf. I'm always amazed at how people will just call anything vintage! Does no one do any research anymore?

    Thank you for taking us along on your walk - I thoroughly enjoyed it. Your walking outfit, complete with that lovely jacket, is just awesome.

    I was also back to work on the 2nd. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't stop taking pictures of our little rascal's tree antics! That'll be next year's Xmas cards sorted! xxx

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness! Those pictures are hilarious and amazing...though certainly not ideal for the Christmas tree! Wow, that animal print dress is beautiful! It looks like it was made just for you! Oh, how I love that tartan blouse. What a beautiful piece! You always find such special items. I'm glad you were able to take a walk through the park. The trees look hauntingly beautiful in your photographs! I hope 2024 is treating you well so far <3

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon! I'd been on the lookout for a ruffled tartan blouse for absolutely ages, so I couldn't have been happier! xxx

      Delete
  8. You are looking as stylish as ever Ann, in spite of the trials and tribulations of your Christmas tree! You seriously have to explore the possibility of getting those photos of Bess put onto Christmas cards! They would sell out!
    I love your ready made outfit (the tartan blouse and peasant skirt) and those olive and grey boots were an excellent score! Jos looks very dapper!
    I enjoyed the walk and always appreciate a glimpse of the Dancing Nymphs. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! Our Xmas tree is looking a bit worse for wear after Bess's shenanigans, its branches are full of cat hair :-) xxx

      Delete
  9. Happy New Year! Those photos of Bess are fantastic, she has the most beautiful eyes - William's currently slumped across my keyboard and says that he agrees!
    I absolutely love your ready made outfit, I'd wear that in a heartbeat and Jos looks very dashing in his scarf. You look fabulous in every colour but those berry shades particularly suit you.
    Thank you for letting us tag along on your visit to Den Brandt, its always a joy to see the Dancing Nymphs and the Buddha. We've got sunshine today, I'm insanely excited at the prospect of a NT visit tomorrow! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix, and William :-) I'd be insanely excited at the prospect of visiting Wightwick too. Only just over six months now! xxx

      Delete
  10. You both look absolutely amazing! Those berry shades really suit you as well as that moss green! Love it, so stunning and Jos' scarf is my favourite too! :)
    Have a lovely day and rest of the week! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa, I'll be hopping over for a visit as soon as Blogger has stopped playing up for me! xxx

      Delete
  11. I can just imagine how happy Bess was about the new toy... the photos you took are really nice :-)))
    I'm totally fascinated by your Scottish blouse with the peasant skirt and the red belt... wonderful - do a little dance now - Scottish...
    Thanks also for the beautiful photos from Den Brandt.
    Happy New Year to you and your dear Jos, all the best wishes to you and I look forward to a wonderful blogging year with you. Thanks for the old one.
    Hug from Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Viola, and I look forward to reading your posts in 2024 too. I'm so glad we met, even if only virtually! xxx

      Delete
  12. I adore your Autumnal coloured walking outfit, so chic. But your cat gets the MOST adorable prize. Look at her little face peeking out from the tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean, and I know Bess is stealing my limelight each and every time! xxx

      Delete
  13. Beautiful outfits, Ann and I especially liked the animal print with the berry coloured accessories. Loved your new finds; skirt and plaid top - they go together exceptionally well.

    I don't know when the ground here will get to dry out; everywhere the fields are flooded up to the road edges.

    I expect in your next post Bess will have made it to the very top of the tree!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! Hasn't the weather been absolutely awful? We did manage to put away the tree before Bess made it to the top :-) xxx

      Delete
  14. How cheeky Bess is! And cute! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jess! She's so cute we forgive her anything! xxx

      Delete
  15. Se eu seguir o seu blog você segue o meu? Então vou te seguir.
    Beijos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I will hop over to your blog once Blogger has stopped playing up for me! xxx

      Delete
  16. Oh Bess is a perfect model for Christmas cards! I love all the outfits you are wearing here. Especially the wool jacket. And the tartan blouse outfit is so attractive. That belt is perfect on it. We hope to go for a walk this weekend, it's finally a bit dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! I hope you were able to go for a walk last weekend. We were lucky enough to go for three more walks between Christmas and New Year! xxx

      Delete
  17. Moss green and tan outfit! I love that one on you!
    Bess is adorable, as usual!
    Hope you're both staying warm and dry over there!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Donna! The rain has gone by now, but temperatures have dropped below freezing point! xxx

      Delete
  18. Thank you for sharing Christmas photos of Bess, she's so adorable. I'm also looking forward to the rest of your Christmas holidays photos.
    The outfits you wore are so pretty. I love the leopard dress and the cardi you've paired it with. I'm not surprised that the second H&M dress gets mistaken for vintage. It certainly has a vintage looking print and the colours are very seventies. I'm not surprised it gets sold as vintage, either.
    The hiking outfit is so stunning. The leather bag gives it an added dose of elegance. I do like the complementing colours of your outerwear. The double-breasted textured wool jacket is stunning. Beautiful combo with simply perfect accessories, the bag, the belt, the scarf...stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment as always, Ivana! I'm glad to hear you loved my outfits! xxx

      Delete
  19. Absolutely loving your belt collection, that berry inspired look is my fav, and Jos's scarf is superb! Hope you have an amazing New Year!

    xoxo, MIDORI

    https://www.midorilinea.com/blogs/midori-linea/my-new-creative-outlet-for-my-daughter-hannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Midori, and I'll hop over to your blog once Blogger has stopped playing up for me! xxx

      Delete
  20. That Manderlayesque building is so picturesque! Wowwww!!!!
    I LOVE your tartan blouse and a peasant-style skirt- they are gorgeous!! I'd totally wear both of those (apart or together!) and those boots you snapped up are gorgeous plus Jos's scarf!!!!
    Finally, HOW CUTE is Bess in the tree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much my lovely friend. I'm planning to get a lot of wear out of the tartan blouse and peasant-style skirt, both apart and together! xxx

      Delete
  21. The photos of Bess in your Christmas tree are adorable but no fancy glass baubles for a while yet.
    Your mix of tweeds in your walking outfit looks wonderful. I always enjoy following along on your walks, such impressive buildings and scenery. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill, and yes, I guess our vintage baubles won't be coming out any time soon :-) xxx

      Delete
  22. Lovely to see that Bess is enjoying the Christmas Tree properly, exploring and having fun!.
    Also lovely to see your fab outfits!. That berries & leopard ensemble totally rocks (and so cool patterned tights!). I'm admiring your latest buys, that peasant skirt and Jos sporting his scarf are my favourite things!.
    Love your burgundy, brown and green ensemble with that beautiful wool jacket and fab accessories, really matching the landscape!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! Bess is bitterly disappointed that we dismantled the tree on Three Kings Day :-) xxx

      Delete
  23. Beautiful photos. I love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Bess, you scamp!

    Those Graces do look more like Bacchantes - they give the impression that they like to party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is, isn't she? Oh well, perhaps next year :-) xxx

      Delete