Sunday 7 January 2024

Twixmas tales - Part 1

Christmas, Twixmas and New Year have all come and gone, but as usual I've still got a lot of catching up to do. 

Meanwhile, it's been back to the grind for me since Tuesday. The long and short of it is that by the end of my first week my one and only resolution - to try and be more positive in 2024 - has already gone out of the window. Oh well, enough said.

On top of all that, I'm being plagued by Blogger issues, as lately I'm getting failed to publish errors when commenting while logged in. I lodged my problem with the Blogger community and was told it might be an issue with cookies. Apparently, third party cookies need to be enabled. For some reason, they were disabled - nothing to do with me! - and when I put it right yesterday I was able to comment normally again. Fast forward to this morning, and I'm getting the error again, and this while the bloody third party whatevers were enabled ... 

I wonder if there's anyone else out there who has been having similar problems? Anyway, I will be commenting anonymously where possible, which I can do when I'm not logged in, for the time being.



But now let's retrace our steps to December once more, starting with Saturday the 23rd which for all intents and purposes was the first day of my longed-for Christmas break.

My journal tells me that it was mostly dry but cloudy accompanied by a blustery wind. At a more than reasonable 12°C, it was much too warm for the Nordic style jumper I originally had in mind to wear with the patterned velvet maxi skirt I snapped up for € 6 at Think Twice at end of September.



Instead, the skirt's companion was a thin knit green jumper with diamond patterned yoke, to which I pinned a vintage lacquered wooden brooch, both of which were charity shop finds.

My beads were charity shopped too, but the half-elasticated belt with its massive square buckle as well as my tomato red plastic ring were high street bargains.




I just love that giddy feeling one gets on the first day of the holidays, with a seemingly endless string of days to be filled with unknown pleasures stretching out in front of you. 

We'd slept in a little, then had a leisurely breakfast, after which Jos and I went our separate ways: while he did a last minute food shop I spent a joyful hour or so pottering and playing around with my wardrobe, thinking up possible outfits for the days ahead.

Then, after a lunch of Jos's homemade minestrone with crusty bread, we contemplated going for a walk.



In spite of the temperature, the world outside our windows wasn't looking very inviting. However, with yet another batch of wet weather days forecasted, we decided to go ahead and brave the elements. If nothing else, the strong gusts of wind would make short shrift of the lingering cobwebs in our heads. 




Not being close to a town or shopping centre, there's always plenty of parking space at Boom park, which was our chosen destination for the afternoon. Obviously, our aim was to steer clear of the Christmas shopping extravaganza, which was still in full swing.


Apart from the odd like-minded Scrooges and the ubiquitous dog-walkers, we only had to share the park with the resident ducks and a white cat who was contemplating life from a fallen tree.

The paths were quite muddy in places so, as I'd been foolhardy enough not to change out of my as yet still pristine green suede boots, we took a shortcut through the layer of leaves carpeting the park's naturel playground.


In honour of Christmas - nah, not really - I was wearing red and green outerwear. This consisted of my my recently found red embroidered Kangol beret and all-time favourite green fur-collared woollen jacket. One of my best-ever Think Twice finds, the latter has been living with me since November 2017.

My Italian made red leather crossbody bag has been my weekend and holiday companion ever since I picked it up in a charity shop back in May.


Jos had been nursing a persistent head cold for a couple of days and, sure enough, he was kind enough to give it to me as a Christmas present.

By Christmas Eve we were having a sniffling and sneezing competition and were going through our stash of cotton hankies at the rate of knots.



Still, as a dedicated blogger, I was determined to step outside between showers to show you what I was wearing.

Last worn back in March, I thought it was time to give my vintage Venetia frock, with its pattern of tiny white dots and garlands of frothy pink flowers, another outing. 

I only briefly wore it on its own, just to show you the burgundy belt I'd added at my waist.

As in spite of the rain we were still blessed with highs of 12°C, I only needed a sleeveless knitted vest on top, the perfect opportunity to show you one of my latest Think Twice finds.


From Think Twice's most recent collection, this Austrian made olive cable knit beauty with its rows of tiny white rosebuds caught my eye during a lunch break cappuccino catch-up with Inez earlier that week. I thought the vintage celluloid deer brooch - picked up from the indoor flea market in December 2022 - matched it perfectly.

The pearly pink brooch I pinned to my dress came from Think Twice while the faux-pearl choker was a fast fashion buy. 




The sleeveless vest wasn't the only thing I was tempted by when perusing Think Twice's latest offerings, as I fell head over heels with this vintage wing-collared orange jumper.

Nursing my worsening cold, I spent the afternoon sprawled out on the sofa, finishing Mary Webb's Gone to Earth and listening to a selection of big band records from our collection. 

Then we tried our hand at making waffles, using one of the recipes which came with our waffle and toasted sandwich maker. They weren't half bad, particularly for a first attempt, although admittedly the first two ended up being a bit overdone ...



Unfortunately, my cold hadn't disappeared overnight on Christmas Day. I had, in fact, slept quite fitfully, waking up several times with an alternately blocked and runny nose. It's a good thing we didn't have any plans for the day.

I still insisted on getting dressed though, so this is my Christmas outfit for 2023, which actually includes two fairly recent acquisitions to my wardrobe.



The eagle-eyed among you might have spotted the vintage Diolen C&A blouse which followed me home from Think Twice during a sun-drenched lunch break at the end of November.

When I brought it home, I had this cord skirt - a naughty retail buy earlier that month - hanging outside my wardrobe, and instantly thought they would make a fabulous combo. The skirt was last seen during our November getaway.



Another one of my deer brooches adorned the blouse's collar. I found this particular one in a long-gone vintage shop shortly before the advent of my blog. I've got a penchant for vintage deer brooches and ornaments and I'm sure it doesn't come as a surprise that we sipped our alcohol free pre-dinner drinks from vintage Babycham glasses!



Speaking of brooches, I'd promised myself to tidy my drawers of brooches during my break so, in spite of the brain fog, I made a start with the first one, containing my so-called lady brooches.

As you can see, they come in all shapes and sizes and while some of them are of the cheap 'n cheerful variety, there are more than just a few treasures in there as well. I've only found out recently that one of them is quite sought after and commands a much higher price than the single digit one I paid for it. 

I can't resist a cliffhanger, so all will be revealed in my next post. In the meantime, I'm inviting you to take a guess ...




The rest of the day was spent completely engrossed in my latest read, which I'd started that morning and which transpired to be quite the page-turner! I would finish all of its 628 pages in less than a week, although I don't think it was as good as any of her previous novels.

See you next time!




42 comments:

  1. I haven't had any issues myself, but I'm sure I read that one of the browser companies were going to be turning off tracker cookies. Could that be the issue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nikki! The problems seems to have solved itself. It's indeed Google who is experimenting with turning off tracker cookies, but I don't think that was the issue! xxx

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry you and Jos have been ill - I hope your'e feeling better now. Love all the outfits but I really like your brooches. I don't wear brooches much but I do really like them and I admire someone who takes clothes and appearance so seriously. So refreshing:-) x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice! I do wear brooches every day, and they're such a fun thing to collect. Also, they don't take up too much space - unless you've got more than 600! xxx

      Delete
  3. I'm going in with the first bid of 320 Euros for the price of your brooch! Am I close????
    So sorry to hear the Christmas lurgy got you and Jos (booooo!!!!!) . Hope that it gets better soon!
    I love your outfits, esp the first one and I do love that fur collar coat you wore in the park- so pretty.
    Swooning over the collar sweater- I do like a collared sweater!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ARE close, well done! The brooch in question is worth between $ 200 and $ 300 it seems! xxx

      Delete
  4. Love the orange jumper and the sleeveless jumper too.
    I read Homecoming in December and was engrossed in it but I do agree with you it was not as good as her previous novels.
    Hope that you have gotten rid of your cold now. The winter really is dismal and all it's horrid germs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carole! I'm glad to ready you are sharing my thoughts on Homecoming ... xxx

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear you and Jos were sick, Ann, but nothing keeps you from looking fabulous! I love that blue corduroy skirt and the embroidered beret - those would happily live in my wardrobe.

    Re: Blogger, I see you in my comment feed again, which is great news! Trouble-shooting: clear your internet browser History to wipe out all your cookies (you'll have slower load times on a few sites until they reside with you again, but that's not that big of a deal). Look in the URL bar on the far right for an eye with a line through it - this is where you can set "accept cookies" for this site - every so often when MS or Gggle do updates, you'll have to redo these, and I do see them on loads of Blogger sites. I hope this helps, and that you feel better soon! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! I'm so un-technical I didn't even attempt your proposal for fear of messing up ... however, the issue seems to have resolved itself, quite possibly after a MS update! xxx

      Delete
  6. Oh dear, a cold with a runny nose as a Christmas present! I love your humor... and your outfits. The brooches are great, what a collection!
    It was really too warm at Christmas, 12 degrees and wet is cold weather. I wish you health and happiness in the new year. with a huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! How funny, I just commented on your last post that I'm loving your sense of humour too :-) xxx

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear you were unwell over Christmas! I'm glad you were still able to dress up and enjoy time together with Jos, time with family is the best bit of Christmas :) Hope you can get the blogger cookie issue sorted soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica! Thankfully that pesky cold didn't completely spoil my Christmas break! xxx

      Delete
  8. Oh dear, what a shame you got the lurgy over the festive season. You weren't alone. Jon also caught a cold over Xmas and he's still coughing three weeks later.
    The blogger issues sound very trying, I'm hopeless at anything like that.
    You've been wearing some fabulous outfits, the C&A blouse looks amazing on and I love your printed velvet maxi skirt and the cord skirt you treated yourself to. You must have been the best dressed walker at Boom.
    Jos's minestrone looks absolutely delicious and I'm very impressed with your waffles. Your lady brooch collection is astonishing, I'm really looking forward to hearing about the sought after one. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These lurgies seem to be very persistent!
      I'm hopeless at these issues as well, glad to hear I'm not the only one! xxx

      Delete
  9. not to be able to keep up with your new year resolution of being more positive sounds very sad........
    but you wore some pretty outfits - love the longer skirt on you especially! and jos´ soup looks very yummy and we love waffles for breakfast - but i buy readymade dinkel bio ones for the toaster ;-D making a doug before the first coffee is impossible :-D
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's quite sad, isn't it? I can't properly explain the situation which caused it on the blog, but it's a serious work issue. Oh, and I'd never be able to whisk up a batter for waffles before the first coffee either. Those toaster ones sound like a good idea! xxx

      Delete
  10. Hats off to you Ann for battling through that nasty cold and dressing up so stylishly for Christmas Day...that blue cord skirt is gorgeous!
    I also adore the olive sleeveless knit. It's such a great colour and a really versatile piece.
    It's definitely soup season. We're just finishing a batch of soup made from the leftover unused Christmas root veg. Jos's looks delicious!
    Can't wait to hear about your coveted lady brooch! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! I'm glad I splashed out on that blue cord skirt. Jos had been making soup most weekends. He got a soup maker from a friend, who was no longer using it. Easy peasy! xxx

      Delete
  11. P.S. Blogger has misbehaved for me recently too; not publishing comments on my blog and refusing to publish mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Blogger issues seem to have solved themselves after a MS update ... xxx

      Delete
  12. Loved your Christmas day outfit! All the others were also lovely especially the skirt with green sweater. Your 'lady' brooches are amazing! What a brilliant collection. I'm guessing at 40 euros for the sought after one. I have no idea which one it is so hope you enlighten us in your next post. I've got the Kate Morton book you featured on reserve at the library; I'm number 12 in the queue so it may be a while...
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! My "lady" brooches are among my most worn ones. But I'm afraid your guess was way off :-)) xxx

      Delete
  13. Sorry you are having so many blogger issues.
    Love your first skirt. And oh my what a marvelous collection of broaches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hena! I do love my brooches, will have to show some more on the blog, as I've got over 600 of them xxx

      Delete
  14. It is difficult to be more positive in 2024 when there are always pressures and strains at work to deal with! I suppose all that matters is that we keep trying <3 Oh, the issues with Blogger sound super frustrating. I've had that happen in the past, but lately it has been okay for me. (Fingers crossed it remains that way.) I hope the issue is resolved so you don't have to deal with that frustration!

    Love what you wore on the 23rd! That green sweater is so beautiful. I love that you were able to sleep in that day, have a nice breakfast, and plan for the holiday ahead. Definitely a nice way to start things off! The park looks so beautiful. I love living vicariously through your gorgeous photos of nature. Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that you were sniffling and sneezing on Christmas Eve. It seems that almost everyone I know was sick or just getting over sickness this holiday. Sigh! On a happier note, that wing collared orange sweater is incredible! I love your Christmas outfit as well. That vintage deer brooch was the perfect touch!

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon! It was super frustrating indeed, but it seems to have worked itself out! xxx

      Delete
  15. Your woodland walk outfit is a reall corker. The beret and little jacket are wonderful together. With the brooch cliffhanger, I think it may be one of the cameos that is worth more but as I can't enlarge the picture to study the features I will guess bottom right, simply because I love the shade of blue. Hope you and your man are both now completely over your sneezes and sniffles. It's suddenly bloomin freezing in Blighty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean! I've no idea how much some of my cameos are worth, but I do agree the blue is rather unusual! xxx

      Delete
  16. I'm sorry you have blog problems, it is so annoying. And I how the sniffling didn't get worse. Such a pity it has to be at Christmas. Or just holidays for that matter. I think that olive vest looks very good on the dress. And I love that wool coat, you have another short one that is very pretty too. They are so elegant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! I had some problems with your posts, which weren't popping up in my reader, but that seems to have settled itself too! xxx

      Delete
  17. Dear Anne, wish you a happy (and positive) New Year!
    Concerning Blogger issues, I've being plagued by them too, probably because of having disabled most cookies in my browsers's security options (full paranoid-level). But, as you told, when cookies are enabled, I still have to insist and insist to publish my comments.
    Lovely to see you wearing some fabulous outfits in also fabulous colours and style!. Love the red and green combo and those matchy accessories (particularly that red bag!).
    Love your floral dress and cable knit jumper with those cute brooches and pearly necklace.
    So fab Christmas outfit, that beautiful cord skirt and the vintage shirt make a perfect match!, lovely ensemble!
    I'm totally in love with your brooches collection, and how you've displayed them!
    Sorry you got a cold too!. Hope you're feeling better, thanks for your comments!
    besos y Feliz Año

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! Aren't Blogger issues annoying? xxx

      Delete
  18. Przepiękne zdjęcia. Pozdrawiam :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy New Year, I hope you have solved the issue with blogger, what has happened to me is that sometimes the button to publish the comments does not work, which is solved by refreshing the page, I really liked your deer brooches, you always They find treasures in vintage stores, my favorite looks were the flower garland dress and that blue skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rebeca, and it seems the issues are solved now! xxx

      Delete
  20. I haven't had any problems with Blogger but I haven't been using it much lately. One thing that I do struggle with is that Blogger sometimes doesn't publish the comments I get. Often it puts normal comments into the trash or the unwanted section and it publishes spam. Well, when something is free, you cannot exactly call a representative to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! I often find normal comments in my Spam folder, and have learned to look into that on a regular basis! xxx

      Delete
  21. I had problems commenting for a while, because in Chrome I mainly use my work Google log-in, so I was using Safari for blog stuff - but it really wasn't happy with me doing blog stuff. So now I use Chrome for blogging too, and that seems to have sorted it out, but I do have to make sure I'm logged in to the correct account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear you had commenting problems too. Mine seem to have been solved after a MS update! xxx

      Delete