Wednesday 17 January 2024

Twixmas tales - Part 3

It's hard to believe we're more than half way through January by now. How the hell did that happen? 

So far, the year's first month has been a bit of a disappointment. Forget about the concept of Blue Monday, I'm inclined to introduce Blue January instead. Not only have my stress levels gone through the roof lately, I seem to have succumbed to the dreaded lurgy again, due to which I've been coughing my lungs out since last Thursday. 

OK, that's quite enough of my moaning. Let's return to happier times instead!



My Christmas break was still in full swing on Thursday the 28th of December and, as my previous cold seemed to have taken a backseat for now, I was determined to enjoy every minute.

Helpfully, the weather gods were clearly taking pity on us by sending - oh miracle of miracles - yet another dry day our way. But although the day's highs of 11°C were more than reasonable for the time of year, an at times blustery wind made it feel somewhat colder than it actually was.



I found the raspberry dress, which is sprinkled with tiny white stripes and yellow and white dots, at Episode - part of a Dutch chain of vintage shops - in February 2019. As its fabric is quite thin, with only the skirt being lined, I layered a yellow long-sleeved t-shirt underneath, which you might be able to catch a peek of between the bodice's tiny raspberry buttons.

I refrained from using yellow for the dress's companions and accessories, which would have been the obvious choice. Instead I wore a chunky knit caramel cardigan by Rhétorique - charity shopped in May - and a matching pair of opaques. Both my flower-infused brooch and Murano glass necklace were flea market finds, while the stretchy belt with it faux-bamboo buckle was picked up on the high street in March 2023.



While Jos was running an errand that morning, I took out my sewing basket and attached a loop to the purple and lime coat I found on Wednesday, so that it could be hung up on our hallway's coat rack.

Then, after lunch, we decided to make the most of the dry if somewhat cloudy weather conditions by going for a walk. Our destination of choice: Fort 5 in the neighbouring village of Edegem.

After Belgium gained its independence in 1830, the fear of a European conflict or invasion remained, primarily from the Netherlands and France. In 1859 it was decided by the Belgian government to defend the city of Antwerp by surrounding it with a 15 km long earthen rampart with 19 gates, based on a plan of military engineer Capt. Henri Alexis Brialmont. 



It also had an advanced ring of 8 almost identical brick forts, commonly known as the Brialmont Forts. All the forts, except for Fort 1, are still in existence today, and most of them have been turned into nature reserves and recreational areas, with part of the buildings being used by a variety of local clubs.

Fort 5 is closest to where we live: a mere 10 minute drive is all it takes to the car park near one of the domain's entrances. Immediately upon entering a magnificent view of  the moat opened up, with a mighty blue heron statuesquely perched on a toppled tree.

Instead of taking the obvious route, skirting the moat, we turned left on the path running behind the playground and, after taking another left turn, found ourselves walking in as yet unknown territory. 



We did not worry about getting lost, though, as we could soon catch glimpses of the brick and sandstone fort buildings shimmering through the tangle of trees. 

Then we came across the remains of what we think might have been the main entrance gate to the fort and which, in spite of countless of previous walks here, we'd never happened upon before. 



Beyond the gate, a cobbled pathway lead us to the long row of atmospheric moss and lichen incrusted fort buildings, their woodwork in various stages of dereliction, and carrying the weight of over a century's worth of trees upon their roofs.



From here, we continued our walk along a path meandering through the semi-wilderness (below, top left), until we arrived at a grassy open space. At the other side of this, we spotted a familiar-looking low brick building, which seemed to have burrowed itself into the earthen mound, with eyes half-closed giving the impression of having a thatched roof.

It was then that we realized we'd been here on a previous walk when, with some trepidation, we'd had a peek into the creepy passage lying beyond the arched doorway on the bottom left. 


Now, we only had to round the corner to find ourselves at the water's edge. 

If the weak Winter sun had been making feeble efforts to break through the layer of grey at the start of our walk, she had by now given up all pretence. The sky was darkening as the afternoon progressed and it was only the wind, which had increased in force as we walked, which prevented the rain-pregnant clouds from discharging their cargo there and then.



The world had once again reverted to greyscale, the only colour provided by the bleached wood of the bird hide and the orderly row of ducks who sat looking forlornly at the wind-rippled water of the moat.

The narrow winding path along the moat eventually takes you to the spot where the fort straddles it. Here, the path enters a low tunnel, passes through a handful of draughty cobwebbed and graffitied rooms, and out again at the other end. 



Before entering the tunnel, I briefly paused to show you my outerwear, consisting of one of my favourite vintage coats - on constant rotation with my fur-collared Princess coat - accompanied by a charity shopped yellow double knitted beret and the colourful pom-pom scarf I'd picked up the previous day.



The brooding sky and the wind which was making the branches of the trees ominously creak and moan made us quicken our step, anxious to re-join our car before the weather caught up with us.

Still, although Winter gets a bad rap all around, there's something to be said for these quintessential Winter landscapes, all but devoid of colour and framed by the twisted and gnarled skeleton trees.




We made it back unscathed, and the rain was kind enough to hold off until we were safely ensconced at home. 

The year's final Friday brought grey skies and showers, the mercury still effortlessly climbing into the low double digits



I had this black, grey and red plaid wool-polyester blend dress earmarked for an outing for a while, and I'd even mentally sorted out its companions. Not that I deviated very much from its previous incarnation, worn after I brought it home from Think Twice at the end of 2022.

Its short sleeves almost dictated that I layered something long-sleeved underneath, and this red t-shirt turned out to be just perfect for the job. I echoed this with my red opaques and red elasticated belt with massive square mock croc buckle.



Both the chunky off-white flower brooch and the black and off-white beaded necklace are vintage, the former a flea market find and the latter bought from a sorely missed vintage shop I used to frequent.

A special mention goes out to my fake snake ankle boots, which were a sales bargain from New Look when they closed down all of their Belgian shops in 2019.




After the usual fruit and yoghurt breakfast, Jos did the year's final food shop, while I cleaned up the little kitchen cupboard we found at the indoor flea market earlier that month. It still needs a replacement handle for the yellow door, but it will definitely do for now.

We hung it up in its designated space, which we were relieved to find it fit exactly! Phew!

We currently store kitchen towels and cloths behind the yellow door and packets of tea behind the blue one! There was also some space to put a couple of our vintage tins on top, relieving a full to bursting shelf elsewhere in our kitchen.

The framed print is vintage and a true Flemish classic, admonishing you to refrain from cursing, as God is watching you! We've got two of those around the house, not that we are taking too much heed ...



40 comments:

  1. January is a difficult month. And now this weather. Many people are affected by bad coughs. I hope you get well soon.
    The plaid dress with red shirt and tights is my favorite.
    The little cupboard is really cute and fits so well into your home.
    With a huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! I'm glad January is over, and I'm guessing you too :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. sooo sorry that you feeling ill again!
    but the outfits are gorgeous!
    that colour combo of raspberry and caramel ist - ehem - yummy ;-D and the tartan dress is my long time fav anyway........
    we have some centimeters of snow and light frost between zero & minus five - nothing to moan in my books :-D
    healing hugs xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beate! I don't mind snow and light frost ... on a sunny day off :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. What a start to the year Ann! Wishing you a speedy recovery and reduced stress levels!
    What an intriguing place to visit. I love how nature reclaims abandoned buildings and you have captured the atmosphere perfectly. Great shot of that heron too! Aren't they fascinating creatures?
    You look very cosy in your vintage coat accessorised with the cheery hat and scarf. I also like the raspberry and caramel combo. As for the tartan dress, that was surely tailor made for you - it fits like a dream and looks great with that cinching belt.
    The kitchen cabinet looks lovely against your pale blue wall and gingham curtain. Loving the vintage print. Maybe we need such a reminder in our house! ;-D xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! We love Fort 5, and even more so because it was part of my Dad's playing ground as a boy!
      That reminder doesn't really keep us from cursing, by the way :-) xxx

      Delete
  4. I love accompanying you on your walks. Every season has something special to offer, sometimes obvious, other times less so. You look so cosy in that lovely warm coat and yellow accessories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice! I wouldn't like to live somewhere without proper seasons! xxx

      Delete
  5. Ah, that's just a lovely walk, Ann - I'm missing yet another Mom-Day (snow!) and am craving nature and its stark winter branches and greys. I may go for a walk to town today instead, although we're supposed to get more snow.

    Love your dresses here, especially that glorious plaid with red accents (wouldn't my red booties go well?). Sending you good vibes that the lurgy leaves soon and your brain-clouds lift.<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! Your good vibes have arrived as I'm on the mend! xxx

      Delete
  6. I love the check dress, such a perfect fit too

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope that you will soon feel well again, Ann.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How imposing are those magnificent Brialmont Forts? What a magnificent setting!
    I'm sorry that you've been struggling this month, everyone who's had that virus thing has said that it lingers for weeks, I hope you manage to shake it off soon.
    That tartan dress is fantastic on you and the pop of red underneath is just perfect. I never get tired of seeing that cosy coat either.
    I absolutely love your anti-cursing Flemish poster, what a gorgeous thing it is, loving the retro cupboard and the vintage tins, too! Smiths Crisps, that's a blast from the past! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smith's Crisps - that tin brought back memories of the little (blue?) packets of salt!

      Delete
    2. I grew up with Smiths Crisps too ... not in those wonderful tins though. It came home with me from a shop in Leominster called Utter Clutter :-) xxx

      Delete
  9. OOh,I enjoyed this walk with you! The tunnel is so exciting!
    Your outfits are so pretty.I love the way you have layered that fitted red top under the tartan dress- it's really attractive. The raspberry dress is a favourite too!
    Sorry to hear you are stressed and getting another lurgy- boo!!!
    Sending you hugs!xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the hugs, Kezzie! If you ever visit Antwerp again, we would like to take you there! xxx

      Delete
  10. So sorry to hear you're under the weather, rotten luck. Hope you will be fighting fit soon. Wrap up warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean, and thankfully I'm on the mend! xxx

      Delete
  11. Oh that sounds terrible, Ann! I hope you feel better soon.

    Hopefully the sight of your lovely outfits and very cute vintage cupboard delight and distract you from feeling unwell. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jess! Dressing up always manages to make me feel better! xxx

      Delete
  12. It's hard to believe January is flying by so quickly. I've definitely been experiencing Blue January or the January Blues or whatever anyone wants to call them, so I fully understand. I'm so sorry things have been difficult lately. Let's hope it all turns around soon!

    Oh my goodness...that Murano glass necklace just took my breath away. It is remarkable! I've never seen a necklace so beautiful in all my life. I just love it so so so so much. I am always amazed at the beautiful treasures you find! I'm so glad you were able to spend time exploring and were even able to see what may have been the main entrance gate. What an amazing bit of history. That vintage coat you wore is just beautiful and I love the yellow accessories you paired with it! Oh, that plaid dress is beautiful as well and I love that you wore a red shirt underneath to layer it for the weather. Such a smart idea!

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon! It's been a tough January, that's for sure! xxx

      Delete
  13. I always enjoy tagging along on your walks and this was no exception. I agree that there is something about a stark Winter landscape that I find entrancing. Your outfits are wonderful and I really am admiring your walking coat.
    Sorry to hear you are unwell , hope you are on the improve soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill, and you're welcome to tag along any time! xxx

      Delete
  14. I love the tartan dress! and what an atmospheric walk. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not nuts about January but hopefully it passes fast. I'm sorry you have the cough...!! Not fun! Take care and keep warn and try to stay out of the wind.
    Love the clothes and so glad you didn't get lost! If walls could talk...love the fort walls.
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna! With our track record, it was nothing short of a miracle that we didn't get lost :-) xxx

      Delete
  16. Oh no.. I hope you feel better soon. Love all the reds and yellows you are wearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hena! There's nothing better than some colour therapy! xxx

      Delete
  17. I'm sorry to hear about the coughing. Nobody enjoys it and it's hard to get rid of. It can be so exhausting. I hope you're feeling better or have found something that helps.
    My January has been somewhat difficult too. A lot of work and not enough of rest. But things are looking up!
    I hope February brings good things to us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana, and I'm sorry to hear your January has been somewhat difficult as well. xxx

      Delete
  18. I forgot to write how much I love your outfits. The raspberry dress is absolutely gorgeous and I love how you styled it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry that you're not feeling better, winter can be so damn dreary!. Hope that longer days bring you some sunshine!.
    But let's speak on your fab outfits!, I love that raspberry dress and the caramel colour accessorizing. And also love that classic plaid and red combo, you rock it with those fake snake boots!.
    Looking lovely in your fabulous coat and joyful yellow accessories, in that atmospheric landscapes (the mossy stones, the bare arms of the trees).
    The kitchen cupboard looks adorable!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! We've had a gorgeously sunny day today, which was very welcome indeed! xxx

      Delete
  20. The red dress is very pretty! I love the necklace you paired it with and the orange cardi. Lovely coat as well. Great accessories.
    Winter can be a tiresome season, especially if that post holidays blues kicks in.

    ReplyDelete