Monday 22 January 2024

Twixmas tales - Part 4

 It feels a bit strange still to be blogging about our Twixmas adventures during January's penultimate week. At the same time, however, my constant lagging behind has been a blessing in disguise as I'm not sure there'd be much I could tell you about otherwise. 

Right up until last weekend, we hadn't gone for any walks since the one mentioned in this post and, apart from the briefest of rummages last weekend, trips to the charity shops have been far and few between.  I'm fully aware of the fact that this is very unlike me but, to be honest, my mind's not really in a good place right now. Let's call it a mixture of the January blues, a more than average measure of work-related anxiety and my current lurgy which has turned out to be the gift that keeps on giving.



So, it's with great pleasure that I'm inviting you to take a seat in the time machine and join me on a short trip to the near past: Saturday the 30th of December.

Let's start by having a look at what I was wearing that day! I was adamant to give one of my latest Think Twice finds, the vintage wing-collared orange jumper, its very first outing. I didn't have to think long and hard about its main companion: with the orange stripe in the plaid of this chevron-patterned skirt it was actually a no-brainer! The latter was well worth wrestling off a charity shop dummy in January 2022.



After having been neglected for the better part of last Winter, I've been wearing my green suede calf-length boots quite a lot lately. They are the perfect length for offering a glimpse of my - obviously orange - opaques.

My accessories were a tiger-eye in a nest of gold metal necklace - a flea market find back in January 2019 - and a tiny Léa Stein bird brooch picked up on a trip to Middelburg in August 2022.




As the weather forecast for the Christmas break had been pretty dire, we couldn't have been happier when it turned out the weather gods sent us a parting gift of a handful of dry and sunny days. 

Combined with the 10°C declared by the thermometer, it would have been downright silly not to take advantage of the glorious weather by going for another walk. 

Only 10 minutes up the road, in the neighbouring village of Aartselaar, leafy Solhof Park is the perfect place for a short head-clearing walk. As we walked towards the park's entrance after parking our car, we passed some partially flooded meadows as a result of the relentless rain of the last couple of months.



The narrow paths meandering through the trees in the park itself were relatively mud-free, but I was still glad to have changed out of my suede boots and into my old walking workhorses.

The Wedgwood blue sky offset the starkness of the bare Winter trees and the satisfyingly crunchy deep-pile carpet of leaves at their feet. The wet but relatively mild weather had woken up the first of the catkins while a family of fungi had taken up residence on some of the dead wood scattered on the forest floor.



First outing for the purple and lime coat I charity shopped earlier that week, and which I wore accompanied by my purple mohair beret and my fringed sage green scarf.



Whenever we walk here, our feet lead us into the direction of the gazebo which, at this time of year, is clearly visible on its yew-clad knoll (below, top left). The knoll is home to an old ice house, which is said to be in excellent condition and one of the rare remaining examples in the area. Firmly padlocked, it is now a place of hibernation for a colony of bats.

 

The knoll can be climbed by way of a narrow, yew-hemmed path spiralling up to the top. It's not exactly for the faint-hearted as it's quite eroded in places, and I'm always glad of my walking stick, which helps me keep my balance.

At the very top, the gazebo awaits, its conical roof resting on gnarled and graffitied pillars. There's a view towards the white stuccoed manor house, originally dating from the late 19th Century but now much modernized and turned into a featureless hotel.




Back on solid ground, we continued our walk, taking note of the high water levels in the moat and marvelling at the monumental trees, some of which are at least 100 to 150 years old.

If you go down to the woods today ... be sure to watch your step as there are strange creatures lurking between the trees!





And then the year's final day dawned, which is when we realized we still had a little project lined up.

After we'd brought these two ladies home from the indoor flea market's December edition, they had been patiently awaiting their fate. Now was the time to introduce them to their sisters - and little Mexican brother - on the spare room's mantelpiece! 



The rest of the day was spent not doing much at all and resting up in anticipation of our New Year's Eve get-together with our friend Inez. 

No longer used to staying up after midnight - which is well past our usual bedtime - we were fully expecting to nod off on Inez's sofa before the clock struck 12!


We didn't - if only just - and had a lovely time eating, drinking - alcohol free bubbles and wine - and being merry.

We had Jos's homemade minestrone - which we brought along in our soup maker - as a starter, followed by Inez's main course of mince, feta and spinach filled peppers with new potatoes.


Dessert was a delicious ice cream Bûche de Noël, also supplied by Inez.

We found Inez's frock at Think Twice during one of our cappuccino fuelled catch-ups, while mine was a charity shop find in December 2020.


It's by the German "Ein Fink Model" label, and I'm including a close-up of its fabric of golden yellows and oranges threaded with Lurex. 

The brooch, a white metal scroll with dangly little chains ending in tiny pearls, is one of my oldest in terms of ownership, and may well have kick-started my collection.



We drove home in torrential rain and were in bed by 1.30 am, which of course we had to pay for the next day. In spite of a generous lie-in, I felt out of sorts all day.

There was plenty of Lurex in my New Year's Day dress too, although it isn't very noticeable in the pictures. I picked up this purple and lilac patterned dress for next to nothing in the Think Twice sales back in December 2017 and up-cycled it by changing its buttons. 



My purple pleated belt as well as the chunky orange long-line cardigan are old charity shop finds, while the orange metal flower brooch was a gift from my lovely friend Kezzie last February.

The necklace, with its purple, pink and orange wooden beads was found on the high street back in the mists of time.



Having finished Kate Morton's Homecoming, I selected the year's first book from my TBR pile. For some reason Jonathan Coe's latest offering is making me crave chocolate ...

I'm hopeful that, with a little more time on my hands in the near future, I'll be able to increase the number of books I'm reading. I didn't exactly count them, but it can't have been much more than twenty or so in 2023, which is quite shameful.



I wonder what else will 2024 bring? 

I've no idea, but Bess is looking forward to a future filled with cuddles and treats!





30 comments:

  1. I'm sorry 2024 has got off to a poor start but, like you say, at least you can look back at Twixtmas and the outings you had. The walk looks gorgeous and I love your NYE photos, your dress is fabulous and the photo of you & Jos and you and Inez are lovely. Well done for staying up till after 12, too! We were in bed by 10.30 although the fireworks, reminiscent of The Somme, had us wide awake by midnight.
    I bet Jos's legendary minestrone went down well.
    Love the checked skirt and groovy jumper and the vibrant almost Aztec print of the purple midi.
    Great finds with the two ladies and I see the creature in the woods.
    I worked at Cadbury's for a bit, I expected it to be a bit like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory but I was sorely disappointed!
    Gorgeous photo of Bess! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! It's rare for us to stay up past midnight on NYE. We are usually in bed well before 12, equipped with ear plugs because of the fireworks! Fancy you having worked at Cadbury's, although I can imagine it might put you off chocolate for a while! xxx

      Delete
  2. Hope 2024 improves rapidly for you. Loved the outfits especially the purple plaid coat with matching beret and the beautiful dress you wore on New year's Eve. Inez's dress was fabulous, too. Bess looks very wistful in that photo!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! We bought Inez's dress together, and I actually had to convince her as she said it wasn't her colour! Now she's glad she followed my advice! xxx

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year 🍀😁🤭
    January is a strange, often sad month, I'm happy when it goes.🤭 He can't help it, but I see I'm not alone with the January blues.
    I really like the purple dress, it looks great with orange and this beautiful necklace. I love these colors.
    Bess is so sweet.
    I wish you a pleasant week. with a huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! Purple and orange is one of my favourite combos! And I'm glad January has gone, although for me February hasn't exactly been an improvement so far. xxx

      Delete
  4. part 4! really?? ;-P
    glad you had some sunshine for a walk! gorgeous nature photos.....
    inez has a really pretty home! and you both looked gorgeous in your dresses - not to mention jos in that cool green waistcoat!
    bess is such a beautiful cat!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't very imaginative :-) And Inez says thank you for complimenting her home! xxx

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous dresses, especially your new year's day dress. You did well to see in the New Year. Staying up late plays havoc with the next day. I went on a visit to Bournville - the smell of chocolate was overpowering and I noticed fingerprints on the chocolate bars that put me off chocolate . . . for a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingerprints on the chocolate bars sound really gross :-( xxx

      Delete
  6. Wow your NYE's dress is sensational and what a lovely evening to showcase it. Sorry to hear you are down in the dumps just now, I hope things improve for you soon, firstly getting rid of the lurgy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean! It was indeed the perfect occasion to wear that dress! xxx

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry 2024 has not got off to the best start. I hope that this period of stress and ill health will pass swiftly.
    I spotted that little dinosaur (?) between the trees on your winter walk and your outfit for the day was perfect. Orange is such an uplifting colour!
    You must have one of the most stylish mantlepieces! I'm in awe of your collection.
    Your New Year's Eve menu is mouth watering. Lovely photos of you all! I always forget to get photos when we're out with friends and regret it later. You and Inez chose well in Think Twice - what beautiful dresses! There have been years when I've given up and gone to bed before midnight, but for some reason, I've been a bit of a night owl lately, as my eye bags can testify!
    I choose not to keep count of the books I read because I don't want to put myself under pressure. I like to take my time and savour some books, race through others and have periods of not reading so much when life gets in the way. That said, when you are looking for your next read, do consider Mr Wilder & Me - also by Jonathan Coe. I have never read Bournville. Let me know what you think of it.
    Bess clearly has her eye on something in that photo! Beautiful! xxx


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you spotted the dinosaur! And I totally agree on orange being an uplifting colours. It even made me look less tired on New Year's Day :-) I'll definitely seek out Mr. Wilder & Me, as I've read is part of the same loose series as Bourneville. xxx

      Delete
  8. Happy New Year! What a lovely celebration you had with Inez (love her dress). Your walks always enchant me - so pretty and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila, and I'm glad my walks enchant you! xxx

      Delete
  9. Hope 2024 brings you lots of sunshine and joy, it's so annoying having to deal with anxiety (and a lurgy!). Sending hugs!
    Loving your outfits, so fab and inspiring colours and style!. That orange pullover is such an amazing piece, and looks lovely with plaid and matchy tights!, and that coat is really Beautiful!, you rock it!. Fab photos of your walks, particularly those of you!
    Lovely to see you enjoying a 'grande soirée' with your friend, both minestrone and stuffed peppers look really delightful and all three of you look really smart and chic!, your golden dress is gorgeous! (wow!)
    Love your lilac dress with that orange cardi, so fab ensemble! and so fab print!
    Bess is such a clever lady!, hope 2024 brings us lots of cuddles and treats too! and love, fun and fab outfits!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the hugs, Monica, they are truly appreciated, as are your words of sympathy. I just knew you'd love the orange and lilac combo, they are your colours, aren't they? xxx

      Delete
  10. It is so difficult when the January blues take hold, not to mention work anxiety and whatnot. I'm so sorry this month has been harder for you. I really hope things turn around soon.

    As always, I am completely obsessed with your accessories. That tiger eye necklace is remarkable and I love the bird brooch! You always find the most beautiful pieces. I'm glad there were some sunny days so you could get out and explore a little bit! Your pictures are so beautiful. That purple and lime coat you wore was an excellent choice! How wonderful that you made it to midnight! (That has always been something I've struggled with. I get sleepy!) It sounds like you had a really fantastic New Years Eve celebration with lots of delicious food and drink. What a delightful evening! Here is to a fabulous 2024. You deserve only the best <3

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon, you are too kind. I do love my accessories, that is true! And I really struggled not to get sleepy before midnight on NYE :-) xxx

      Delete
  11. I'm glad you managed to find some good weather. The weather here as been awful for some time, but thankfully there were blue skies this morning (although it was a little bit on the cold side!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nikki! We've had a handful of cold yet sunny days, but we're back to all-day rain now :-( xxx

      Delete
  12. Spending time with friends is energising! I love to host a dinner party, or eating out! And being outside, even when it's freezing cold, it's fabulous for the soul too. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy! Spending time with friends and being out and about is balm for the soul indeed! xxx

      Delete
  13. The orange sweater is NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the little broooch too- such a pretty one!! The party at Inez's sounds so enjoyable- the type of new year do I like to be at!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you love the jumper! It was love at first sight at Think Twice! xxx

      Delete
  14. Beautiful dresses! I love that photo of you and your friend.
    Bess is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! Bess is indeed adorable, we love her to bits! xxx

      Delete
  15. WOW, der längste Blogbeitrag, den ich seit langem gelesen habe. Und was für zahlreiche Fotos Du uns zeigst. Deine Kleider sind so vielfältig und unterschiedlich, ganz toll siehst Du damit aus.
    Liebe Grüße
    Martina

    ReplyDelete