Friday 12 January 2024

Twixmas tales - Part 2

I woke up with a head full of cotton wool on Boxing Day.  As congested sinuses had made me toss and turn all night, I could only thank my lucky stars that I didn't have to get up when it was still pitch dark outside and that I could spend the day doing whatever tickled my fancy. In fact, nobody would have batted an eyelid if I'd wanted to spend it lying on the sofa if so inclined.  

Wasn't it just my luck though that I had to be plagued by a head cold during my week off? Admittedly, it was miles better than being struck down by a serious case of the flu like I was last year, but I could still have done without it.


I started feeling a bit better after a healthy dose of fruit and yoghurt for breakfast, after which I had a good old rummage in my wardrobes (note the plural!) in search of the perfect outfit to suit my mood as well as the day. 

No athleisure wear for me, thank you, and God forbid I'd stay in my pyjamas all day!

So, out came this navy blue Diolen dress, its pattern a seemingly incongruous mix of yellow and tan flowers and seashells. 



Blues and yellows were the colours of choice for my dress's companion, a zig-zag patterned Zoë Loveborn cardigan charity shopped back in November. The blue flower corsage I pinned to the latter was echoed by my moulded plastic flower ring. 

My necklace featuring multicoloured wooden disks was bought brand new from Accessorize and has been in my collection for many years. 

The day was miraculously dry and sunny for once and with the temperature still a more than reasonable 12°C, it was clear that the sofa would have to wait another day.




It has long been a tradition of ours to go for a walk in Middelheim Sculpture Park on Boxing Day, even if the weather was determined to put a spanner in the works a couple of times. This year, however, wild horses couldn't have kept us away!

Art has been on the move here all through 2023 and will continue to do so in 2024, as a mind-boggling total of 224 works are in the process of being given a new home. I'm pretty sure that Odyssey (above, bottom right) wasn't in this particular place before. Dating from 1968, it is a work by the American sculptor Bernard (Tony) Rosenthal (1914-2009). 



The hesitant Midwinter sunshine was spotlighting Antony Gormley's Firmament III, which I suspect is among the 50 or so works of art in the park which are inseparable from their location and will therefore remain in situ.

The same will definitely be the case for the make-believe street called Surroundings (1972-1973), an art installation by the Italian artist Alik Cavaliere (1926-1998).




Moving a sculpture that has been anchored in the ground for decades is no easy task. Moreover, they are all unique works of art, each of them requiring its own preparation process, method and approach depending on its materials and vulnerabilities. The relocation of a total of 224 different works of art is, therefore, a hugely labour-intensive job. 

After the transformation, the sculptures will be on display in completely different clusters, inspired by the different types of landscape in the park.



Meanwhile, normal service is disrupted, with some parts of the park temporarily out of bounds, and a not inconsiderable amount of sculptures hanging out together in the adjacent open-air depot before being allocated their new location.

Believe it or not, but the massive tire which has suddenly materialized at the back of the Braem Pavillion is a work of art too: dating from 2012, it is part of  Pièces à conviction (Pieces of evidence) by the Belgian artist Michel François (b.1956). It used to be in the part of the museum called Middelheim-Laag on the opposite side of the road.



Vierkantrohre Serie D (above, top left) by German artist Charlotte Posenenske (1930-1985) has been attached to the side wall of the Braem Pavilion since 2017. It consists of a set of six hollow forms made of galvanized metal that appear to be parts of an industrial ventilation shaft. Very convincingly, it seems, as I only found out this was actually a work of art when I was browsing the museum's online catalogue a couple of years ago.

Bosque Metalica (above, bottom left) has found its new location near the Braem Pavillion as well. Dating from 1971, and thus a contemporary of the Brutalist pavillion, the sculpture which consists of eight separate elements in black, green, orange and yellow, is by the artist Jorge Dubon (Mexico, 1938-2004).



Making a shortcut through a carpet of leaves to avoid a particularly muddy stretch, we came across Artisticus Confusa (2020), a whimsically shaped aluminium flower of nearly one metre tall, created by Tom Volkaert, who was born in Antwerp in 1989.

The gold painted chair is part of the park's furniture. These, and their silver painted sisters can be found all over the park and are perfect if one wants to take a breather or just, sit and stare at a particular work of art, or perhaps even temporarily become part of it.



This sculpture, which I believe is new to the museum, was caged to protect it from the elements. Although I hadn't seen it before, it instantly rang a bell, as it reminded me of the sculpture on display in the courtyard of the 800-year old castle known as Het Steen standing on Antwerp's quayside.

Sure enough, when I looked it up, it turned out to be by the same artist, Sharon Van Overmeiren (b. 1985). It is called The Voyage of the Mascot and dates from 2021.



We ended our afternoon walk in the Museum Café, where we shared a hefty piece of cheesecake, and enjoyed cups of cappuccino (Jos) and hot chocolate (me).

Although more rain had been forecasted for Wednesday the 27th of December, it never materialized. I know, stranger things have happened but still ...

I was rewearing the as yet unphotographed outfit I wore on my last office day of the year, featuring a happy mix of charity shop and retail buys.




The forest green faux suede skirt is an old sales bargain from Mango and an absolute joy to wear. Here, it is joined by a rose-patterned jumper from King Louie, by way of the charity shops. Both the label-less sparkly pink cardigan and the green Les Cordes necklace were charity shop finds as well.

My one and only Christmas themed brooch deserves a special mention, as it was a gift from the lovely Gisela, who blogs under Miss Magpie's Musings.




Apart from the odd sniffle, I was feeling so much better and, what's more, I was craving a rummage at the charity shop. 

We drove down to the three-floored one in Duffel where it was quite busy as it seemed a lot of people had had the same idea. Or perhaps they'd come to donate their unwanted Christmas presents?



Anyway, here's a quick look at what I found. 

Above, from left to right: brown marled knit hat, groovily patterned blouse by Belgian label Claude Arielle, tan mock croc belt by CKS, which is yet another Belgian label, and chunky yellow, white and dusty pink knit scarf with pom-poms!

In spite of my self-imposed coat ban, I couldn't possibly resist this purple and lime patterned one, although the photo doesn't do its colours much justice. To make up for this, I'll be wearing it in one of my next posts!




And now, it's time to divulge which one of my lady brooches turned out to be the bargain of the century.

Ta-dah! I'm sure this isn't the one you expected it to be! Bought for less than € 10 at the indoor flea market a couple of years ago, I only found out its true nature and value by accident in the Summer of 2022 when I was looking up a Léa Stein brooch I'd picked up in a vintage shop in Middelburg.

It turns out that, although not marked, this was a Léa Stein too, and one of her earliest and most valuable at that, estimated between $ 200 and $ 300. It's one of her serigraphy (screen printed) brooches dating from the late1960s and the early 1970s. The most collectable among these are the romantic or nostalgic female portraits, a plastic version of Victorian miniatures, so to speak.


For those of you who are unfamiliar with Léa Stein, who was born in1936, she is a French artist and accessories maker known for her compressed plastic buttons, brooches and bracelets. She is often hailed as the most notable and innovative designer of plastic jewellery of the 20th century. 

Stein entered the fashion industry in 1957 working in textiles, and by 1965 had developed an interest in plastic. She worked with her husband, the chemist Fernand Steinberger, to develop a process of layering very thin sheets of cellulose acetate (or rhodoid) and laminating them to form a multi-coloured sandwich of plastic, which was then baked, cooled and cut into shapes. The process could take as long as six months!

Her brooches are avidly collected and generally command high prices and it therefore won't come as a surprise that they are often imitated. 

There's a very interesting and useful Facebook group called Lea Stein Appreciation of which Mme. Steinberger herself is a member and to which she sometimes contributes whenever there is doubt if a certain piece is a Léa Stein original or not.

I will be back with more adventures soon!




34 comments:

  1. You certainly have an eye for a great bargain, Ann. Léa Stein sounds most interesting.
    I like the aluminium flower sculpture. It looks as though it belongs in Alice in Wonderland. I like the Voyage of the Mascot, too - there's something very appealing about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice, and you're right about that aluminium flower sculpture. In fact, there are quite a few sculptures here which look as though they belong in Alice in Wonderland! xxx

      Delete
  2. Your Boxing Day outfit was a triumph Ann, in spite of the head cold and a walk no doubt helped blow the cobwebs away. Isn't that aluminium flower pretty?
    I'm also loving the pops of pink in your second outfit.
    You did well with your Twixmas charity shop visit too. Can't wait to see you in that coat!
    I wasn't familiar with Lea Stein, but that must be quite a thrill knowing that you own an original. She's very pretty! I'll be looking more closely at brooches when I'm out and about from now on. ;-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! It is still possible to find some undetected Léa Stein treasures, but it's quite rare. Her name is mentioned on the clasps of the later ones but the early ones are unmarked, so you've got to know your stuff! xxx

      Delete
  3. Two gorgeous outfits, that pink cardi is so wonderfully vibrant!
    I'd never of thought that brooch was a Lea Stein, what a good spot.
    i'm glad you were able to get out and about over Twixtmas despite the cold and it didn't affect your hunting skills either, I'm looking forward to seeing you in that coat! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! I had no idea that it was a Léa Stein either until I came across it when researching another one! xxx

      Delete
  4. you look cute in the outfit with the pink cardi!!
    thank you for photographing an showing some of the sculptures in the park - counting on you when the replacing of the 224 artworks is finished!
    now i´m craving cheesecake.....
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beate! I can't wait for it all to be finished, and will of course report back :-) xxx

      Delete
  5. I do enjoy your posts. Your walks are so interesting, and I love seeing the outfits you put together, so colorful and unique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I'm so glad you're enjoying my posts! xxx

      Delete
  6. I have never heard of Lea Stein, thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - that's so interesting about your brooch. Are you tempted to sell it - or not?

    Loved the outfits and wonderful accessories. How exciting about the sculpture park reshuffle I hope you'll keep us updated.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! I'm not in the least tempted to sell that brooch, though. xxx

      Delete
  8. Well done on your brooch! I've seen a couple of Lea Stein brooches (the classic animals I've seen online) in the vintage mall I frequent, but they aren't really to my taste, personally.

    I love your first dress, Ann, what a lovely print! Thank you for the stroll through the sculptures, which I greatly admire. So fun!

    I'm glad you're down to just a sniffle now - colds are no fun! Take care, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! I do like some of her brooches, but definitely not all. xxx

      Delete
  9. I've never heard of Lea Stein. How lucky of you to find such a treasure. Take care! xxx Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regula, and I know I was very lucky indeed! xxx

      Delete
  10. Oh wow, you got a treasure there! And what a lovely story. I love sculpture parks. We have such a good one nearby, I think I told that before. There is something so attractive to sculptures. I especially love the metallic wood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! I'll have to visit your sculpture park one day. Wouldn't it be fun to meet up? xxx

      Delete
  11. Glad to hear you made a quick recovery. The museum looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hena! Unfortunately I got another cold shortly afterwards :-( xxx

      Delete
  12. I'm so sorry that you weren't well on Boxing Day. Not a great way to spend the holiday! The timing was definitely not ideal. I love that you still got all glammed up! (When I am under the weather, I become a human sweatpant.) I love your Boxing Day tradition. What a wonderful way to spend the day! There are so many incredible pieces to look at. The Museum Cafe sounds like a wonderful way to end the walk, especially when there was hot chocolate involved. That Christmas themed brooch is fantastic! What a lovely gift. Oh my goodness...that Lea Stein piece is remarkable. I just love it.

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon! I try not to give in to becoming a human sweatpant :-) as that would only make me feel worse! xxx

      Delete
  13. Happy New year to you both! How amazing is your Lea Stein brooch? I hope it doesn't put you off wearing it now you know it's worth. Thank you for the lovely Christmas card. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gisela, and I'll still be wearing that brooch, although I'll obviously make sure to properly secure it! xxx

      Delete
  14. It's exciting to walk through the art park with you. The variety is really very interesting.
    And a museum café is absolutely necessary, especially in this weather.
    Your pink outfit made me think of the royal families. The diversity of your wardrobe is remarkable. I love your different combination of different colors and materials.
    A hug to you.
    p.s. European Figure Skating/ Women Two medals for Belgium... that's great. And you should take a look at the winners in ice dancing... a feast for the eyes... Probably on YouTube or something like that :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Viola, and I totally agree about the necessity of museum cafés! xxx

      Delete
  15. The yellow suits you so well. It's such a bright and happy colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivana! I guess I should wear yellow more often! xxx

      Delete
  16. Sorry that you had that pesky head cold during holiday!, but looking fabulous in your not-athleisure floral dress (;D) and cute matchy cardi, such a brilliant colour combo!
    Always fab to have a look at that Sculptures Park and the amazing art.
    And I have a weakness for that pink&green colour combo and that delightful matchiness in your outfit, love your beret and cute cardi!
    I'm going to catch up with your recent posts to see that beautiful coat. And I'm admiring your brooch (and totally fascinated by that 'Léa Stein Appreciation Group', wow)
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! It's definitely worth checking out that Facebook group! xxx

      Delete
  17. Wow, that was a bargainous brooch indeed. It'll be interesting to see how the sculptures change the feel of the park once they've been moved to their new locations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mim! I can't wait for the reshuffle to be finished, as I'm sure it will significantly change the feel of the park to the better! Will obviously keep you posted! xxx

      Delete