Wednesday 27 December 2023

A year is just a drop in time

It seems that time has been running away from me again. It simply beggars belief that I'm already half-way through my Christmas break.

So far, the days have had more than just a hint of indolence. The latter, however, was mostly of the forced variety due to a nasty but thankfully short-ish head cold which joined forces with the weather in throwing a spanner in the works on Christmas Day in particular.


All of this was still in the future on Saturday the 9th of December, so let's cast our minds back to that day. Although, not having made much of a journal entry for that day, there isn't a lot I can tell you about it apart from the fact that it was another dark, dismal and utterly wet day. 

We were able to nip outside to make outfit photos between showers, though, so that I can at least show you what I was wearing.



This navy fit and flare dress with its green and sky blue abstract motifs - I've never been able to determine what they are supposed to be exactly - hadn't been worn for far too long and was shouting the loudest when I opened my wardrobe's doors.

At my waist I added a green fabric belt which used to belong to another dress, and threw a green Dralon and wool blend cardigan on top, to which I pinned an elaborate blue flower corsage. 

Obviously, I was wearing a pair of matching opaques, while further accessories included a green wooden Les Cordes necklace (charity shopped) and a lime green Miracle brooch (flea market find).



We weren't in the mood to hit the charity shops, so it was to be a day of gentle pottering and starting a new book which had been languishing in my TBR pile since Summer. 

Bought in a Shrewsbury bookshop back in June, Gone To Earth was written by local author Mary Webb and published in 1917. Its protagonist, Hazel Woodus, is the daughter of a Welsh gypsy and a crazy bee-keeper, and is happiest living in her forest cottage in the remote Shropshire hills. Its prose is very atmospheric and lyrical and its subject a magical yet chilling story of fear, desire, love and violence, both spiritual and physical, and inevitably ending in tragedy. I loved it although it was by no means an easy read.


At first glance, the weather gods seemed to be on their best behaviour on Sunday, the sun having done away with the eternal gloom when we drew the curtains. 

We were up early-ish as we had plans. But first, let's get dressed for the day ahead. Helped by Bess, of course, who was basking in the rays of the low December sun streaming in through our spare room - a.k.a. the blue room and doubling as dressing room and study - windows.


First outing for the greyish brown and orange Trevira dress I found at Think Twice back in September.

There's a tiny bit of green in its pattern too, which I took as the lead for my accessories. Both the beaded necklace and the semi-elastic belt with its gold-tone lion's head buckle were charity shopped, the latter only a couple of months ago. The swallows-in-flight brooch is modern, bought in Cardigan during one of our Pembrokeshire holidays.


My Marigold yellow cardigan is one of my charity shopped Zoë Loveborns and, if I remember correctly, the tan leaf brooch I pinned to it was a flea market find. On my feet, my comfortable tan No Stress lace-up ankle boots!

And then we were off, picking up our friend Inez along the way, the sun still very much in evidence and adding sparkle to the raindrops which were lingering on our car's side mirrors.


Our destination for the day: the December edition of our beloved indoor flea market in Mechelen.

Admittedly, we hadn't been there since early Spring, and for various reasons had missed the first two editions of the new season which started in October.



We were delighted to see that there was a good mix of stalls, which we browsed to our heart's content, exclaiming over the wonderful and often curious items on offer. 

If in need of a hot water bottle, there was a choice between a rubber heart-shaped one or an old-fashioned ceramic bed warmer ...


I swooned over the feathered green hat and marvelled at the collection of eye-wateringly expensive ammonites.

The box of diminutive pink bathroom furniture and choice of tiles had sisters in many different colour options and must have been a travelling salesman's samples. If money and space hadn't been an issue, I might have been tempted to buy them all!


I was briefly considering to buy the poor guy in the centre as a companion for Idina, but I think she might have turned up her nose at him ...

With so many aisles of stalls to browse, we interrupted the serious business of rummaging for a round of rolls washed down with old-fashioned filter coffees!

Doesn't Inez look gorgeous in her turquoise dress! It came from a charity shop in Welshpool, but as I was never wearing it, I gifted it to her.


And now, without further ado, let's have a look at the things which did come home with us!

The small hanging kitchen cabinet - it only measures 50 x 30 x 15 centimeters - needs a good clean and a bit of TLC but will fit a little corner in our kitchen perfectly.

The small black lady's head and the wooden and papier-maché shop dummy both came from Rita's pitch, while the 1930s German ceramic biscuit jar came from a random stall.


I'd spotted the head plaque on the left on Tanja's Facebook page last month and was delighted when she told me it hadn't sold yet and that she would put it aside for me. Both she and the lady with the polka-dot headscarf picked up from a random stall will be joining the wall of heads above the mantelpiece in the blue room!



The end of year madness at the office continued in the year's penultimate working week. When my boss asked me whether I thought a certain order would still be shipped out before the Christmas holidays, I told him I needed a crystal ball to reply to his question. Having a great sense of humour, he sent me a fortune teller cartoon in return, which in my turn prompted me to stage this photo with the office crystal ball. Because, yes, we do have one of those: it is in fact one of a pair of massive glass door knobs which used to be in my colleague's 1960s apartment when she bought it. Apparently, she didn't like them or the doors they were on, and donated them both to me. 



While Inez and me were having our usual mid-week cappuccino catch-up at the Think Twice coffee shop, we were surprised to see that one of their sales was in full swing. What's more, prices were down to € 4 already, so that we decided to have a quick peek. Well, what can I say? We both made purchases, mine being a groovilicious velour blouse and a funky jumper!



Then Friday the 15th of December rolled along. It was a cloudy day but dry for once, the mercury still flitting around the 10°C mark. 

I had to go in to work, but thankfully only for half a day, the afternoon presenting the perfect opportunity to put up our tree.

After 20+ years, assembling our faithful faux fir has become a doddle, particularly when you've got a feline helper. Remembering last year's shenanigans, we weren't all that much surprised when she climbed into it less than a minute after we'd put in the lights! Can you spot her among the branches in the photo on the bottom right?



Later that week, I shared the above photo with Unco-Jerry, the animal shelter we adopted her from, who promptly put it on their Facebook page. Wouldn't you know that the little minx got well over 140 likes?


Fast forward 12 days later, and she has only climbed into the lower reaches of the tree two more times and accidentally dislodged only one ornament. We are keeping our fingers crossed that one of these years we might be able to use our vintage and heirloom ornaments again, but for now we are limiting ourselves to mainly wooden and fabric ones. 

I might or might not publish another post before the year is up but in case of the latter, Jos and I already wish you all a happy and healthy 2024. May all - or at least some - of your wishes come true!



42 comments:

  1. Happy Twixtmas, Ann! That photo of Bess is precious, I'm not surprised she went viral!
    Talking of viral, Jon's had that cold over Xmas, too - what timing, eh?
    Loving everything you photographed at the flea, the handsome head, the miniature bathroom, those stunning ammonites and Inez looking ravishing in her turquoise midi dress.
    That made me laugh about the crystal ball! When I worked for a chiropractor and patients would ask when their bad backs would be better ,I used to fashion a headscarf out of kitchen roll and tip a glass bowl upside-down and go all Mystic Meg on them - luckily most people saw the funny side!
    Love both your cheery outfits and I'm glad you were able to snaffle that plaster head for your collection. That Mary Webb book sounds like a good read.
    I'm already excited about the New Year, we'll be counting the weeks till we meet very soon! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a shame I didn't think of fashioning a head scarf :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. Well, I loved your first very striking outfit and then you matched it with your second. I like the heads very much and laughed at Bess among the branches in your tree.
    I hope you're fully recovered from your cold. We have postponed Christmas until next week or the week after - feeling heaps better but with no appetite at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice, I hope you're both feeling better now! xxx

      Delete
  3. Loving the pics of Bess, she really is the most beautiful cat.
    I love tabby cats but I am allergic to cats so don't have one. Many years ago I had a lovely tabby called Lotte, she was a very mischievous cat and a great explorer. I came home one evening and she was hanging off the ivy, bedroom height. I rescued her but shortly after she was run over, sadly.
    Happy New year to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, your boss has a sense of humor. And what did the ball say? 😂 The photo of Bess in the tree is also too cute.
    You put your outfits together wonderfully again. I really like the yellow cardigan on you.
    Happy New Year to you both.💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately the crystal ball wasn't working :-) xxx

      Delete
  5. The photo of Bess on your tree is priceless, no surprise it had so many likes.
    I so enjoyed seeing your temptations at the flea market , it must have taken much restraint .
    I do hope that nasty cold is over and you can look forward to the New Year. On that note all my best wishes for a happy and health 2024.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We need to restrain ourselves as we've run out of space in our tiny home! xxx

      Delete
  6. LOVE the orange outfit! And your hair! SO pretty!
    Your friend looks lovely in the blue dress...and Bess is too sweet!
    Hope you had a sweet and happy Christmas and your cold is gone...
    See you next year!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna, and thankfully my cold is all gone now. It wasn't fun having one on Christmas Day though ... xxx

      Delete
  7. Bess is so cute - I've never heard of a cat climbing into/up the Christmas tree before - she's unique!

    Loved the blue and green outfit so beautifully co-ordinated. What brilliant finds at the flea market. I loved your two ladies heads, in particular and Inez looked fab in her turquoise dress.

    Hope you've recovered from your nasty cold - there's a lot of it about.

    Happy New Year!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vronni, it did take me a while to recover, but it wasn't a bad one, so I survived :-) xxx

      Delete
  8. Oh no surprise Bess got so many likes! That photo is to cute. I love those bathroom minis! I love miniatures anyway. Love the blue floral pin, The colour is beautiful. I wish you a good New Year's Eve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy, and I love miniatures too, and have done so since I was little! xxx

      Delete
  9. Loving the abstract blue dress Ann and your latest read sounds interesting!
    The flea market looks amazing, as does your friend, Inez. I think I've clearly eaten too many sprouts this Christmas as that is how I initially saw that beautiful vintage hat! :-D I love your purchases, especially the lady in the spotty headscarf!
    I did smile at your crystal ball story and even more at the sight of Bess in amongst the Christmas tree branches. I've seen a few Christmas tree casualties on Instagram this season! I hope all of the social media attention hasn't gone to hear head!
    Happy New Year both! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bess is definitely a little rascal, but then again she's so sweet we forgive her anything! Had to laugh about your Brussels sprouts remark ... you weren't the only one apparently :-) xxx

      Delete
  10. Your swallows in flight brooch has reminded me that I have that exact same brooch. I can’t think for the life of me where it is though. I’ll have to go on the hunt for it tomorrow. Have a great New Year xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I remember correctly, you once wore that brooch on your blog! I hope you've found it back in the meantime! xxx

      Delete
  11. awwww - bess in the tree is the cutest pic of the year! no wonder she got lots of likes!
    the outfit of the post is the blue & green one at the top..... such a gorgeous colour combo - and the "miracle" brooch is a beauty.
    your friends looks pretty indeed in "your" dress at the huge fleamarket :-D
    if we hear us not again until: HAPPY NEW YEAR - ANN & JOS!!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beate! That Miracle brooch is one of my favourites. I've got another one by them too. It was Goody who brought it to my attention! xxx

      Delete
  12. I hope you're feeling better already! That flea market looks great.

    All the best for 2024!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nikki, and wishing you all the best for 2024 too! xxx

      Delete
  13. Just dropping by your place to see how you are and wish you a Happy New Year. Best wishes, my friend, for a wonderful 2024!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ally, and wishing you a wonderful 2024 too! xxx

      Delete
  14. Blog hopped and found you, and I shall be definitely back. love your choice of clothes which appeals to me too... Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris, and I will hop over to your blog soon! xxx

      Delete
  15. Hello Ann, happy 2024 to you! Love your furry tree fairy ❤︎❤︎❤︎ Oooh, a good old rummage in a flea market. Looks great fun & good finds too. I especially like your kitsch (wooden?) lady head. I'm glad you told us it was a green hat in the picture, as I was convinced it was a giant brussels sprout! xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lulu! So funny that both you and Claire were thinking of a giant Brussels sprout :-) xxx

      Delete
  16. I love the green and blue hues in your first outfit.
    Beautiful dress and cardi. The abstract pattern makes me think of flowers. Abstract sort of flowers.
    Love your necklace.
    Happy New Year 2024! I wish you and your family all the best. Have a great start of the new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana, and I hope you had a great start of 2024! xxx

      Delete
  17. Happy New Year, dear Ann and Jos and Bess!. She's so cute, no wonder so many likes!
    Lovely outfits, that abstract print is fab, love a dark 'floral' dress and love your delightful matchiness!. Also love your grey dress with green accessories and that sunny cardi. Totally fabulous brooches that put a smile on my face!
    That indoor flea market looks amazing and so interesting, I'd enjoy it for sure. We only have some indoor charity markets but never so massive nor so good looking!
    Great finds, as usual!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! That flea market really is something else, isn't it? xxx

      Delete
  18. Happy Christmas and I hope you both had a wonderful new year, Ann and Jos! Hugs to dear Bess and that almost-as-cute as Vizzini (hee) picture - of course, she got a ton of likes!

    I love that first outfit - that dress is amazing on you,- and the bright happy yellow in the second.

    I need a crystal ball for my office...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila, and I think every office needs one of those! xxx

      Delete
  19. That first outfit is remarkable. I love the navy fit and flare dress with the gorgeous accessories! You always make me wish I was more fashionable! That marigold yellow cardigan is another amazing piece and I love the tan leaf brooch added on top. Oh, the flea market looks wonderful! There were so many unique items! You found such special pieces to take home! The tree looks so beautiful, though Christmas trees can be tricky with cats around!

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon, but surely I can't be called fashionable :-) xxx

      Delete
  20. You and Inez did well! I'm excited to see alll the goods on display! AND a T2 Christmas sale! The Crystal ball picture is hysterical!!!! You are funny!xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kezzie. You'll get to see what we've done withe goods very soon! xxx

      Delete
  21. I hope Bess did behave herself this year. It took a few years for the Urchins to calm down but we're now able to have our glass baubles on our tree again, so Bess is sure to calm down and allow you to have yours again at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, she didn't :-) I'm glad to hear the urchins have calmed down, which give me hope! xxx

      Delete