Saturday 14 January 2023

Saturday's pursuits

Long time readers may know that my blog is usually lagging a week or two behind real life. And that's exactly how I like it, I hasten to add. As during my working week there often isn't much time to spare, I find it quite reassuring to have a backlog of subject matter - and outfits - to blog about. 

So imagine my dismay when I found myself all caught up last week! 

What with December's ill-health and wet weather, we hadn't been on any adventures to speak of for the better part of two weeks. I can only be thankful that in spite of the less than ideal circumstances, we'd made the effort to photograph my outfits on most days during the Christmas holidays, as otherwise I might have been obliged to take a blogging break!

 


By now, I've caught up with these too, so here's what I was wearing just one week ago, on Saturday the 7th of January

The fuchsia blouse with its multi-coloured stripey pattern - my mind boggles trying to describe it  more aptly - is from the defunct Belgian label Who's That Girl, picked up from an Antwerp outlet shop back in November. For its first outing, there was no doubt that I'd wear it with green, so I selected this lightweight forest green pleated skirt from my wardrobe. Like the blouse, it was bought brand new, a bargainous find between Lockdowns during the pandemic.

At my waist, yet another retail buy - naughty, naughty - snapped up for a song at a CKS pop-up outlet on the Meir, Antwerp's main shopping thoroughfare, last October. Both my ring and my boots are wardrobe stalwarts originating from the high street too!



Nothing vintage whatsoever, but at least the rest of my outfit consisted of second hand finds: both the fuzzy yellow cardigan and the necklace were charity shopped, while the brooch was a flea market find.



We'd woken up to dry weather for once and while we were having breakfast we even got a couple of glimpses of that strange phenomenon they call the sun.

I wasted no time in photographing Friday's charity shop finds, starting with a polo neck dress by Who's That Girl's sister label Wow To Go. I was instantly smitten with its groovilicious yellow and navy dotted pattern.



In spite of having an overflowing coats wardrobe, I can't help but peruse the aisles for those standing out among the usual yawn inducing ones. My eye was caught by the grey and tan Prince of Wales type checks of this fur collared beauty, which I was excited to see was Made in Belgium. It needed the addition of a snap at the collar to keep it from gaping at the top, which was a quick fix. Then I spotted the fur hook and eye hidden in the collar itself, offering an alternative for those really cold days ...



Friday's final purchases were a pair of fuchsia tights for € 0,50, a snip considering they retailed at € 10,95, and a rose patterned locket on a chain.



As a reward for her faithful clothes modelling services, I decided to treat Angelica - who was named after my paternal great-grandmother - to a new outfit. She seems to approve of the groovy brown hued wool-blend dress she is now wearing. Perhaps I should follow her example and do the same as for some reason it has been languishing unworn in my wardrobe for a long time.



Oh, and there's me in the mirror, and somewhere on top of the cupboard behind Angelica is a photo of her namesake taken just before the First World War. Here she is with her husband and two of her children. The little girl is my paternal grandmother, Leontine, who was born in 1910.




I layered an off-white faux fur gilet over Angelica's dress, pinned a teal flower corsage to the latter, and handed her a lacquered rattan handbag with a blue pleated scarf tied to its strap. Now she was ready to go!

I'm sure you won't be surprised that our bedroom, like the rest of Dove Cottage's rooms, is full of thrifted treasures. 

We found the chandelier after a long search on New Year's Eve many years ago. 

The blue vanity set (bottom right) and green Art-Deco brush and tray (bottom left) are UK holiday souvenirs, while the compact and card of kirby grips were flea market finds.



The Art-Deco lady with her gorgeous green dress and pet birds has been residing in front of the mirror on our mantelpiece for nearly twenty years, and she is one of my favourite finds ever. 

Finally, here are some glimpses into my cluttered wardrobe where dresses and handbags are jostling for space, and a peek at my party dishes of chunky rings.



Talking of clutter, surely this is what the word was invented for ... 

This is our hallway reflected in the full-length mirror near the front door. Lovers of minimalist interiors, please do look away!



The rest of the morning was spent dismantling the Christmas tree. 

I don't know about where you are, but it's a tradition in Belgium to leave it up until the 6th of January, which we call Three Kings Day, and which celebrates the arrival of the Three Wise Men.  As it was already the 7th by now, its days were definitely numbered. Bess wasn't too pleased to see her favourite plaything go, though!



Although the sun was still out in full force by lunch time, the weather forecast had promised more rain in the afternoon. Yay! 

But whatever the weather, going for a walk wouldn't have been on the menu anyway, as we were invited by Jos's son and daughter-in-law for a little family get-together.

Still no rain as we were parked outside their front door, which we took as the perfect opportunity to show off my new-to-me coat! I nearly forgot to mention its deep pockets to shove one's hands into!



The main purpose of the family get-together was grandson Cas's Nieuwjaarbrief (New Year's letter).

Flemish children are expected to write a letter with New Year’s wishes for their parents, godparents and grandparents, which is then read out loud in front of everyone.

The tradition originated in the 16th century and was at first limited to the upper classes, who had access to education. At that time the letter was usually written in Latin and in verse. Since the mid-20th century, the custom has spread and is now an essential part of local culture. Despite its Catholic origins, it has been adopted by everyone and currently has no religious meaning.




Today, children start "writing" a New Year's letter in their first year of nursery school, when they are about 3 years old. The text is pre-printed and learned by heart in the classroom, rather than actually written and read. This obviously only starts when they have learned to read and write in primary school. The tradition is kept until they move to secondary school, when they are around 12-13 years of age.

Cas, of course, being only 19 months old, is still way too young to read or even memorize a letter. But no fear, he read it together with his mum, with Cas supplying the odd word, among them one of his favourites: tractor! And no, I haven't got a clue why a tractor would be part of one's new year's wishes.

His reward was the sound puzzle we found for him in a charity shop back in November, and which he loved to bits. Our reward was a choice of mouthwateringly delicious cakes!




True to form it started raining mid-afternoon and it was still chucking it down when we went home around 17.30.

For Sunday, a mixture of sunny spells and showers had been forecasted. Would it be dry for long enough to finally go on that longed-for walk? You'll find out in my next post!



32 comments:

  1. I just adore that belt in the first look. So pretty! You have the nicest accessories. I just love the fur collared coat. Wow! What a great item. The locket you found is gorgeous as well. It looks so special. That chandelier is incredible. I just love it! How interesting that the tradition is to leave the Christmas tree up until the 6th! I confess that my Christmas tree is still up (even though it is the 14th) simply because I have not had time to take it down. Oh well, I like to look at it anyway!

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The navy and yellow dress is a real wowser, why is it I never find anything as cool as that? the Mr and I went to visit some new charity shops yesterday, which we thought would be full of rich pickings, as the area is quite a wealthy one. I bought a book! That was it. I love the new year's letter tradition, what a sweet thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to confess our real Christmas tree is still up too, which is completely unheard of in our house. It still looks good. I wanted to get my money's worth and allow the tree to fulfill its Christmas destiny, plus January is such as blah month. Tell Bess she is most welcome round here to play with it, seeing as her humans have rudely taken Disney Land away from her ;)

    The new coat is perfect and loving your zingy pink blouse - the pattern looks like sweeties. Your hallway is wonderful. Such a fine hat stash. Great to have such old family photos, I don't have any like that. I can only presume some other family member nabbed off with them, or the workhouse didn't make for great photo opportunities! Lovely about the new year letter the gorgeous little one co-wrote. Tractor, I get it. May 2023 be full of tractors xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lulu! I've got boxes full of family photos, as both of my parents were only children! xxx

      Delete
  4. I too cannot do minimalism. However, we really need to get a handle on storage, the biggest issue for us! I love seeing all your treasures and also have a particular appreciation for all things Art Deco.
    Your fuchsia blouse is a beauty. Have you heard of the clothing brand Palava? They have some stunning colourful, retro style prints. Another label to keep your eyes peeled for anyway (particularly if you are in the UK - all garments are made in London). I stumbled across it the other day and thought of you.
    I love the idea of the New Year's letter. It seems to be a more considered approach than making false promises to ourselves that we never keep. xxx

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the storage problem very well, Claire :-) xxx

      Delete
  5. Hello Bess - and Ann! I loved reading about the New Year letter, what a sweet idea and, like Claire so wisely says, far more considered than some silly resolutions. Liz loves having her tree up so I've suggested she keeps it up and changes the theme, Valentine's, Easter, birthday...the list is endless!
    Loving the mustard and forest green outfit and the new coat is wonderful, all the better for being Belgian.
    Minimalism has it's place...in the bin! Long live maximalism! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could never do minimalism :-) As for the New Year's letter tradition, it is indeed lovely, although I absolutely hated reading mine as a child! xxx

      Delete
  6. Hopefully you are going to see more of the sun this week. What a lovely tradition. I've never heard of a New Year's letter. Let's hope 2023 holds a tractor for the little boy. Have a nice week! Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regula, I'm sure 2023 will hold a tractor for Cas :-) xxx

      Delete
  7. What a lovely tradition. Cas is at the age when children fall in love with all sorts of farm and industrial machinery, and I'm sure as soon as he has the vocabulary you will be treated to more information and working details of tractors than you ever anticipated needing to know :)
    I love how you put together teal and mustard yellow. Always enjoy a peek around Dove Cottage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Goody! I remember my godson being the same! xxx

      Delete
  8. Tractor is one of Bub’s favourite words too!
    Hello and happy new year, after such a long spell of absence! I hope to be popping by more often this year, and maybe writing a blogpost or two of my own!
    I’d forgotten about Bess, she’s got such a sweet face :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hazel! Not surprised about tractor being Bub's favourite word :-) xxx

      Delete
  9. Hi Ann. I'm like you, I work all week, so my blogs sometimes keep up with the timescales and other times may be a week or more behind. It all depends on whether I can motivate myself to write the blog post after work :) I love the coat you picked up, it's beautiful, and I definitely don't like minimalist spaces. I spend far too long looking a maximalist interiors on Pinterest, so absolutely devoured the photos you shared on here today. Have a great week. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that you're a fellow maximalist Louise! xxx

      Delete
  10. And do I have a minimalistic interior Ann! But I would discover every little beautiful detail in your interior! Fantastic. The coat is very pretty. And the green skirt with the pink top, it is such a good colour combination isn't it. Every shade of green and pink look great together. Angelica looks very good on her dress, but I do like to see it on you! Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still have to wrangle that dress off Angelica ... xxx

      Delete
  11. Always lovely to have a look into Dove Cottage delightful decoration and lack of minimalism!, and also lovely to see Angelica in her fabulous 'outfit' and the photos of your great-granmother, as I love that kind of details.
    So interesting to learn about the New Year's letter, is a beautiful tradition that probably melts any granparent's heart!, so cute!
    Totally understand that feeling when you haven't taken photos everyday (sometimes it's impossible, we're so busy ladies!) but finally everything is sorted and the blog goes on!
    Looking fab in your 'not vintage' pink blouse and green skirt with the addition of that fluffy cardi, lots of gorgeous colours and textures working together delightfully!, love it!
    Also in love with the groovilicious dress you acquired!, woww!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Monica! We've finally had a couple of sunny days, so that I could take photos in my lunch break, playing tourist in my own town! xxx

      Delete
  12. I get stressed if I feel I'm getting behind on my blogging, so I'm glad you enjoy that lag, Ann! I love your wonderful bright outfit - that yellow belt is a glorious shade (and not too naughty!). I also love seeing some of your corners of Dove Cottage, and am pleased to see that not only are you a member of Snoots Anonymous (along with Vix and Kezzie), but are a member of People Who Have Very Cool Landline Phones (you, me, Vix).

    The Cavalini tights are a score - those are nearly $30 here! Your new coat is absolutely gorgeous! I have far too many coats also - I need another coat closet for them all!

    Bess' face in that pic is priceless. She wants her "toy" Christmas tree back!

    What a fun tradition that is, to write a letter! Thank you for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, you spotted the phone! We've got several vintage phones, none of them in working order though! xxx

      Delete
  13. I really like the red, yellow and green together in your outfit! And your new to you coat looks so cosy :) I'm terribly behind with blogging, I missed a couple posts here and there - it usually doesn't bother me but there's something about posting December pre-Christmas outfits in January that makes me feel really behind, haha! I do like having a little backlog of scheduled posts for when life gets busy and I don't have time to blog though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica! I'm glad you get that it's not possible to be "on time" with blogging when one's a busy girl :-) xxx

      Delete
  14. Such a beautiful color palette in here today. Love the sound of the letter reading tradition. How fun to read it 20 years later. We had a program in the US back in the 80's called DARE. It was for awareness in the hazards of drug use and directed toward elementary school children. I saved all the letters my kids wrote promising to not use drugs and live a clean straight life. haha I saved those letters for years and read them back for laughs. Sadly though, they didn't all stay on the straight and narrow. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joni! I still have some of my letters and I even have my Mum's wartime ones! xxx

      Delete
  15. Die Farbauswahl ist fantastisch. LG Romy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bess is such a beauty. It's always love to see her! Looks at those big expressive eyes.
    Your outfit is absolutely fabulous. The skirt and the belt are a match made in fashion heaven.

    ReplyDelete