Saturday 28 January 2023

Blue and grey

This photo was taken from the office window on Blue Monday, the 16th of January.

Do not be fooled, though: it would have been a completely different story if I'd happened to look out of the window just a handful of minutes later - or earlier for that matter - as it was just a brief intermezzo in an otherwise total washout of a day.  In fact, the band of dark blue sky at the bottom was courtesy of an encroaching army of angry rainclouds.


The mercury, which had still been flirting with double figures the week before, had taken a tumble to just 5°C and would drop even further as the week progressed. However, we were blessed with a brief reprieve from the eternal rain with a string of dry and - heaven forbid - sunny days. Wonders never cease! 

On Monday and Tuesday, the handyman and his helper continued assembling the IKEA furniture at the office, most notably the kitchenette, which was still very much a work in progress in the photo on the top left. Needless to say, this came accompanied by the necessary hammering and drilling, with the additional soundtrack of aimless whistling, which is bound to drive me mad at the best of times. Thank goodness I'd had the forethought of bringing my headphones!

 The ordeal was also slightly redeemed by my new office chair, which not only looks the part but is the epitome of comfort as well.


Other highlights that week included the news that a huge Think Twice shop - the 5th one in Antwerp - would be opening around the corner from my office at the end of the week. Obviously, I went to have a sneak peek during one lunch break, when they were still busy putting the finishing touches to the shop's interior (top right).

Then, on Wednesday night, we finally put an end to our dithering and booked a couple of nights away at our favourite B&B near Bruges in February. Admittedly, we did have a little push in the back, details of which will be revealed soon. Yes, I know, I do like to keep you in suspense!

The rain returned with a practice shower during our commute home on Thursday, which ended with a fiery sunset just as we were taking our exit from te motorway. 



During lunch break that day, I'd wandered to the soon to be losing its status as nearest Think Twice shop to see what their new collection, which always follows one of their sales periods, had in store. I actually gasped when I spotted this fabulous Diolen frock, which I couldn't grab from the rails fast enough.



We woke up to this on Friday morning, thanking our lucky stars that we didn't have to brave the commute into Antwerp that day.  But although it didn't last, and thaw soon set in, the snow would be replaced by sleet for most of the day.

In fact, we ditched our plans to go on our usual Friday charity shopping trip, as it was an utterly wet and miserable day, with the temperature barely above freezing point. 



On one of the rare moments when the rainclouds were refuelling we stepped outside for outfit photos. I'd quickly thrown over my fluffy white gilet - last seen worn by Angelica - to which I'd pinned a teal flower corsage. Both items were picked up from a bargain shop in the village many years ago.

Then I took a deep breath, bracing myself against the cold, and removed my gilet to properly show you the dress I was wearing underneath. The things one does for blogging!




Vintage C&A, this wool and acrylic blend dress was a Think Twice find almost exactly a year ago. Although its body is lined, the sleeves aren't, so that I have to layer a long-sleeved tee-shirt - in a matching colour, obviously - underneath to combat itchiness. Definitely not a hardship in these temperatures! 

I pinned the ruffled and slightly pesky collar down with a brooch of multi-coloured stones found pre-blog on a flea market in Carmarthen, Wales and added another flower corsage, in white felted wool. The latter tied in with the black and white necklace, last seen in my previous post, and the chunky white plastic ring. At my waist, a wide, unstructured burgundy belt with  a translucent round plastic buckle.



The snow, which had briefly turned our garden into a miniature Winter Wonderland first thing, had all but gone by now. but I managed to take a snap of its last vestiges. Shortly afterwards, the heavens opened again and drove me back inside for the rest of the day.

Much to our relief, it was clear and sunny when we got up on Saturday morning. With forecasted highs of just 1°C, and plans to make the most of the dry weather to go for a walk, it was imperative that I dressed warmly once more.

I was determined to wear the Finnish Arola skirt I bagged in the Think Twice sales earlier this month. Although there is no purple in its slubby stripes, I instantly had this colour in mind to accompany it on its first outing. So, out came a thin knit purple polo neck jumper, a high street buy I've had for so long that I would have forgotten its providence if unaided by its label. Matching purple opaques, and we're done. 

Or not quite, as accessories maketh the outfit! 



I started with the moss green suede belt - an old charity shop find - which ties in with some of the skirt's stripes. There is a modicum of green among the grey and white stripes, even if the camera seems to have a problem picking it up.

More green was added with my ring and Miracle brooch, while I picked up the orange of the skirt by wearing an orange wooden beaded necklace.

Oh, and in case you hadn't noticed, I was wearing a pair of forest green calf length suede boots, which were a cheeky retail buy last Autumn. Too delicate for the undoubtedly muddy walk we had in mind, for which I changed into the old pair of chocolate brown ones I usually wear for the purpose.



The sun was shining brightly in a Winter blue sky when we set off to our chosen walking destination, Den Brandt, one of the pearls in Antwerp's crown of parks. It's part of a cluster of parks which lies to the south of the city centre, and which goes under the collective name of Nachtegalenpark (Nightingale Park). The sculpture museum, Middelheim, is also part of this cluster.

As usual, we entered the park via the picking garden in front of the neo-Gothic Villa La Chapelle, built in the late 19th century. The Gautam Buddha at the back of the garden has been here since 2004. At the time of our visit, his offerings included a handful of sea-shells, a plastic orange and red striped beetle, a mini Buddha and, most intriguingly, a car key!  Additionally, some kind soul had adorned his hairdo with a beaded bracelet.



The gate leading into the garden of the villa was firmly closed this time, so that sadly there was no chance of a repeat visit to the lovely Flora. Still, we called out her name so that she knew we remembered her. 

After climbing the flight of steps into the park proper, we continued along an uphill path lined by majestic trees. All of a sudden, the sun disappeared behind a layer of clouds and the landscape was cloaked in a thin layer of mist.



Emerging from the trees, a beautiful reed-edged marshy expanse opens up and, with half-closed eyes, it isn't hard to imagine one in the depths of a wilderness instead of in a popular city park.

Here and there, there were remnants of Friday's flurry of snow. The carpet of leaves was sugar-coated with rime, while a miniature snowman was slowly but surely melting away on a fallen log. One of the park's gently giants was no more, passed away in 2022.



We usually skirt the heart of the domain, which is dominated by its romantic castle and the sweeping lawns at its back, as this is many people's preferred sunbathing, picnicking and exercising spot. On this day with its less than perfect weather, it was completely devoid of people, which obviously created the ideal photo opportunity.

The wooden hump-backed bridge was treacherously slippery, so that we had to hold on to its railing while crossing it.



Originally built in 1790, the castle was renovated in the 1870s in late-classical style. Nowadays, like most of its ilk, it is a venue for events and parties. 

The fountain sculpture in the castle's French garden is by German sculptor Walter Schott. It is officially called the "Three Graces", although I do prefer its alternative name of  "Dancing Nymphs". It was purchased by the city of Antwerp at the 1910 World Fair in Brussels and placed in the garden for the park's opening to the public in 1911.



Just at that moment, the sun decided to have another go at piercing through the layer of clouds. Only half-succeeding, it cast an eerie glow over the tirelessly dancing nymphs. They must have been feeling the cold in their flimsy dresses but seem to be eternally grinning and bearing it.



From the castle terrace, there was a view of the ornamental gingerbread cottage in the distance, shrouded in mist and mystery.

So, even if we were aware of the fact that it looks quite disappointing up close, when its neglect cannot be ignored, we made our way towards it. Still, it managed to look suitably enchanting, its roof garlanded with  icicles. 

With one backward glance to the mist-swirled lake, we walked back to our car where, no sooner had we rejoined it, the clouds parted and made way for blue skies and sunshine once more. I bet the weather gods were laughing behind our backs!

Joining Nancy's Fancy Friday link-up party!



34 comments:

  1. I like how you always manage to dress so colourfully even when it's so cold! We don't get temperatures like that in Brisbane, I'd just be curled up in bed not going anywhere, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica! I can imagine these temperatures would make you want to stay in bed, I'm often tempted to do so myself :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. Your office development has been such a pain I hope the finished spec matches up to your very comfy looking office chair. I love your heritage country walks and fountains are one of my favourite things, thank you for sharing with blogworld.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Jean, I'm glad you enjoyed the walk! xxx

      Delete
  3. Thanks for reminding me how beautiful blue sky looks. We had a bit of sun for about 10 minutes this morning .... All the best! Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had a couple of days of sunshine in the meantime but we're back to grey now! xxx

      Delete
  4. Your white fluffy gillet was a great choice for the wintry weather and your Finnish skirt just oozes quality. You've styled it to perfection.
    As ever, I enjoyed your walk. Those wintry conditions and pewter skies created some gorgeous moody photos. I am with you in preferring the alternative "Dancing Nymphs" name. We must be a pair of romantics at heart! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! I know I'm a hopeless romantic :-) xxx

      Delete
  5. I love the walk in the park with you. 💕
    thank you Ann. A huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice it is that another Think Twice is opening so nearby. Can you also bring clothing to that store? Wouldn't that be perfect? I hate whistling, can't stand it if someone does that, it makes me want to scream. That Finnish skirt is wonderful, the perfect skirt for a walk in the snow, if snow can be perfect.... It snowed here, don't know what day it was, I guess the same day, for like 2 minutes. While in the west of our country it was totally white. I would love to get away for a few days, but now, without Teun, we have to see how it goes with Castor. Have a good start of the week Ann.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew, I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates whistling! I'm afraid you cannot bring clothing to the T2 shops, but I'm sure there are some other vintage shops here which offer that service! xxx

      Delete
  7. you look very cosy in your fabulous fur trimmed coat!!
    and i´m glad you´r wearing your usual rainbow of colours underneath instead of gray with blue ;-D
    the new office chair is the most stylish i´ve ever seen!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beate, and you're right about that office chair. It's hard to believe it's IKEA, isn't it? xxx

      Delete
  8. Hello Ann! Loving the C&A dress, thank you for braving the weather and showing it off. The Finnish skirt is a welcome blast of colour and your hair is looking amazing.
    Lovely to see the Guatam Buddha again and I'm sure Flora appreciated you calling to her, she must be lonely all fenced off like that. The Dancing Nymphs are beautiful, what fine casting.
    Your new office chair is very stylish! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! I'd just been to my hairdresser, so it's definitely looking its best here. I'm hopeless at styling it myself :-) xxx

      Delete
  9. I think the purple goes very well with the Finnish Arola skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a brilliant place for a walk - full of many interesting things to see. I loved the nymphs; so very graceful. You were very good to brave the weather. The urge to stay in in the warm is too strong sometimes!

    I loved your new dress find, the wonderful Finnish skirt outfit and the lovely wool blend dress. Every woollen or sweater dress I see is either navy of which I have too much or black or grey...

    Your new office chair looks incredibly comfortable.

    Have a good week
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! I'm always glad I made the effort even if the urge to stay put is too strong! xxx

      Delete
  11. Nice to see the sun.. in fact our sun too just popped out.
    Loving your red skirt. Enjoy your little getaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hena! Our getaway's next week, I cannot wait! xxx

      Delete
  12. Ooh, another Think Twice, and so close to your work, Ann? I sense danger of the shopping variety! Ha! I love seeing your gorgeous Arola skirt in action - what a fabulous pairing it is with that rich purple jumper! As always, I love your and Jos' meanders in the parks - so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very dangerous indeed :-) I loved wearing that skirt, and as I've a penchant for orange and purple lately, it was a no-brainer! xxx

      Delete
  13. Beautiful photos! You look great in your stylizations, sensational choice of accessories! Everything fits together perfectly :)
    Greetings from Poland!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's great that you now have a Think 2 Shop just around the corner - what a temptation - what a pleasure!
    Yes, enjoy... thanks for the great outfits and this lovely walk in Nightingale Park - what a delight... soooo good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Viola! That shop is beyond temptation indeed! xxx

      Delete
  15. Five Think Twice shops?...what a chazza trawl! Thank you for braving the icy cold to model your fab vintage C&A dress. Lovely moody picture of the Three Graces. Well, Buddha is looking blinged up on this visit! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know ... although I think one of the others will be closing, which still leaves four, of course! And it looks as if Buddha's got a car :-) xxx

      Delete
  16. Sorry that the works at the office have been so noisy!, but that new chair looks fantastic, elegant and comfy!
    I'm admiring that Diolen dress, its groovy polka dot geometrie is amazing. Also loving your knit dress with the fluffy gillet, such a fab ensemble (and it also looks really comfy). Love particularly your brilliant accessorizing, so beautiful brooch and matchy flowers!
    And obviously, love your wool skirt with the purple colour, such a great colour combo!, totally inspiring me!.
    Looking adorable in your cute coat in the middle of the winter landscape. Glad that you're enjoying the parks despite the cold weather, making the most of the lack of people (I feel identified with this!). So beautiful photos!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! I can't wait for the weather to get a tiny bit warmer so that I can wear my latest Diolen find! xxx

      Delete
  17. Such lovely atmospheric pictures! I hope the office is a bit more settled by now.

    ReplyDelete