Wednesday 4 January 2023

It's a wrap!

In the days that followed our magical Midwinter walk in the park, we more than once counted our lucky stars that we didn't abandon our plans in spite of the sun doing a last-minute runner on us. It would turn out to be the last day of the Twixtmas week - the last day of the year, in fact - which wasn't a total washout. The temperatures gradually climbing into the double digits again did nothing to alleviate the utter wretchedness of the weather, making the days seem even shorter and darkness descend halfway through the afternoon. 

We got up well before the first light of dawn feebly seeped through our bedroom window on Wednesday 28 December. Wild horses had a hard time dragging me from the comfort of my bed, but I needed to catch up on work for a couple of hours. So, after breakfast, Jos drove me over to Antwerp, where I slogged away for about three hours, trawling through the countless of emails I'd missed due to being ill the week before. I wasn't quite ready for it, but in the end I'm glad I made the effort, as it would make my eventual return to work after the holidays just that little bit less stressful.




Thursday was another grey and miserable day, a carbon copy of Wednesday's, including the almost surreal 12°C indicated by the thermometer.

The iridescent pleated vintage frock I plucked from my wardrobe was a Think Twice find just a matter of weeks before the pandemic hit us. So far, I'd only worn it the once, in February 2020, after which it was promptly forgotten about, hidden away in the depths of my wardrobe.

I picked up the blue from its pattern with my belt, which was a Summer sales bargain from Mango. 



Rummaging through the party dishes which house my rings, I couldn't believe my eyes when I stumbled upon this one which is matching all the colours of my dress exactly. Bought in the closing down sale of an accessories shop on the high street back in January 2018, this is another one I'd quite forgotten the existence of.

First wearing of the blue-eyed fox found on December's flea market. Incidentally, the Tiger's-Eye pendant also originated from the same flea market, a lucky find about 4 years ago.




While Jos was doing the year's final food shop after breakfast, I was staring wistfully out of the kitchen window at our wilderness of a garden. Until about a month ago, the offspring of the climbing Nasturtiums I sowed back in the Summer of 2020 had been rewarding our non-efforts with cheerful orange blooms. Since then, their frost-bitten remains had turned into a soggy and slimy mess, some of which was draped over our Spirea shrub like paper bunting left out in the rain. As it appeared the rain clouds were taking a breather, I went outside, put on my ankle wellies, and removed as much of the mess as I could reach, putting it in the reinstated compost bin.

Then I remembered we'd brought back some bulbs from the reduced bins in the garden centre a while ago. There was a pack of dwarf Irises (Iris reticulata), a harbinger of Spring which is supposed to flower anytime between mid-February to mid-March. I planted some in the window box in the passageway, while I found space for the rest in the borders. I'd just dug in the final one when it started raining again, so that the hoop-petticoat daffs (Narcissus bulbocodium) will have to wait another day.




After lunch, the lure of the charity shops proved to be too much. After all, it had been almost three weeks to the day since we last went for a rummage! Besides, there were two huge bags of donations cluttering up the spare room, desperately needing to be dropped off.

We only visited the one shop, where we were duly rewarded with charity shop Karma. My finds that afternoon were a pair of rust brown waxed nubuck boots, a bamboo and cotton mix jacket by sustainable UK label Nancy Dee, which would have retailed at £ 100 plus, and a sparkly poodle brooch.

Back at home, we could hear loud music emanating from our Moroccan neighbours two houses away. It turned out their youngest son was getting married and boy, do these guys know how to party! That  evening, one of the other sons - the one we've nicknamed Babyface for obvious reasons -  brought over a plate of biscuits, presumably in a bid to butter us up :-) 

Still, I managed to catch up with blogland and make a start with my final post of the year.



On Friday, we woke up to the news that Vivienne Westwood had died. To be honest, I was totally shocked to see that the news bulletins were inundated with stories about Pelé's death, while only one minor item mentioned Vivienne's passing. One of my Facebook friends mentioned that she supposed that punk was now well and truly dead ...

Anyway, it was another dismal day, the incessant rain making it feel decidedly colder than the 14°C it was alleged to be. I was even wearing a jumper, albeit just a thin knit one. It's by posh Belgian label Caroline Biss and was a charity shop find in February 2021. Incidentally, the daisy belt at my waist is by Caroline Biss as well, and was recently charity shopped for a silly € 0,50.

The eagle-eyed among you may have spotted that I was wearing the boots which were part of Thursday's bounty!



It was love at first sight for the fudge coloured button through cord skirt, which I found on the high street in the Autumn of 2021. The flower brooch is a retail buy too, picked up from a small independent shop near my office many years ago. 

Before nipping outside for outfit photos in-between showers, I quickly grabbed my charity shopped faux fur gilet, which has come out to play more than once these last couple of weeks.



With the rain continuing to play spoilsport for most of the day, there was no chance of going for even the briefest of walks, so we quickly hurried to the car and went for another charity shop rummage.

The previous day's bags of donation contained the majority of my cheap 'n cheerful yet plain and boring cardigans, but there's always room for some interesting new ones. 

These four landed in my basket: a green, flower-embroidered one by Libelle Femmes, produced for the eponymous Dutch and Flemish women's magazine, a red and orange chevron striped one by retro label Zoë Loveborn, a new with tags red one with cream and blue shoulder embellishment by Who's That Girl and a greyish blue angora blend one from the Danish Vila label.




There were two dresses as well, both label-less. On the left, a red and black plaid knit one with an A-line skirt, and on the right a black vintage frock sprinkled with red and lilac confetti-like dots.



At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Saturday was yet again dark and dismal, with the rain now being accompanied by lots of wind, quite at odds with the mind-blowing16°C indicated by the thermometer.

Yet again, it was up to me to provide a bit of sunshine, which I did by selecting this glorious, groovily patterned long-sleeved dress complete with cowl neck and pleated skirt. After initially leaving it behind at Think Twice somewhere in March 2022, I instantly regretted it and went back for it the next day, when I was able to pick it up at a reduced price as the shop's sales had started that very day.



I made use of the orange in its pattern to pile on more sunshine, adding a half-elasticated belt, beaded necklace, cat brooch and ring in that colour. I was also wearing orange opaques, but they are hidden here by my new favourite pair of boots!


Isn't my new-to-me Zoë Loveborn cardigan just perfect with it too?



We'd slept very late that day. The weather was once again too frightful to venture outside and we weren't in the mood for braving the charity shops on this final day of the year, so we did some long overdue kitchen cleaning instead. Dust bunnies, beware!



There's nothing like a spot of cleaning to make you look at and fall in love with your treasures again. Even on a dark Winter's day, our kitchen, with its motley collection of heirlooms and flea market and charity shop finds, never fails to cheer me up.

Apart from the jar of Moroccan biscuits, I think you've seen it all before.



The rest of the day was spent in semi-hibernation, following Bess's excellent example. Aww!

It might have been New Year's Eve, but we treated it like any other Saturday night, watching an old episode of Midsomer Murders.



We were in bed just before the fireworks started at midnight.  Bess had just joined us but, instead of jumping off the bed and hiding for the duration like her predecessors, she actually sneaked behind the curtains to watch the show! It was earplugs for me, though, as I don't like loud noises. No surprise there, I guess.

Well, that was it for that strangest of years, 2022. Let's hope that 2023 is a good one! Now if only it would stop raining ...


40 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Ann, Jos and Bess! I'm glad you're feeling better.
    Fantastic outfits, love how well the new cardi goes with the Think Twice dress and the cord skirt with the funky cowl neck jumper and purple midi dress are stunners!
    Great scores in the chazzas, cardi heaven!
    I hear you on the soggy nasturtiums, ours are appaling, the garden looks like a Dali painting. Every time I decide to tackle them it starts raining (or I get a better offer!)
    It sounds like we've both good feeders for neighbours, you can turn a blind eye to noise when there's free food involved! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix, I think we must both be fair weather gardeners! xxx

      Delete
  2. Like your good self I was very shocked to hear of the death of Vivienne Westwood.
    Our evening news cast sent me into a rage, lengthy coverage of the death of Pele and then the general news. I was shouting at the TV after twenty minutes. They cobbled together a very short, generic cover of Westwood's death, it lasted a couple of minutes!;Still super cross with Channel 4.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely imagine you being cross with Channel 4, Dame Vivienne certainly deserved better! xxx

      Delete
  3. I actually only learned of Pele's death yesterday, as my regular reads (Go Fug Yourself, Tom & Lorenzo) covered Dame Viv's passing thoroughly. So sad, but wow, what an impact she had!

    I am vicariously enjoying your outfits and charity finds, Ann, but also nodding along with the doom/gloom weather. I could have used another week of Twixtmas! I did a bunch of prep-work on the dead week leading up to Xmas, and today am thanking my stars for it, as it would have consumed my entire day. Sometimes we have to put in a little extra to save ourselves bother later!

    Loving: your floral ring, the thought of irises and daffs blooming soon-ish, your wee fox brooch, those new boots!!! (too high for me, sadly), the suede skirt, the chevron cardigan, but that buffalo-plaid dress is really calling my name! That's right up my alley.

    Best Bess pic for last! She is such a cutie-patootie! Happy New Year (and doesn't it feel good to be caught up on the blog??), Ann!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila, and yes, another week of Twixtmas would have been lovely! xxx

      Delete
  4. Oh that striped cardigan and the dress are so good together! I'm impressed you were able to get out and do some charity shopping too. I always thought that your charity shops were like our opshops, where people donate clothes and charities sell them to fundraise. Is that not the case? As all the opshops around here close between Christmas and new years - most offices have a formal shutdown period also, but all the volunteer run opshops close for a longer time over Christmas. It will be another couple weeks before our local one reopens!

    Hope you are having a good start to the new year :)

    www.awayfromtheblue.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mica! The charity shops are not run by volunteers here, which is why they remain open. xxx

      Delete
  5. A happy New Year! This is to more shiny dresses to enlighten dark winter days. :-) I too did a bit of cleaning and emptying these days and decided that I must go to the charity shop today as I am in need of a cupboard to store some kitchen items that don't find place in the kitchen but in the attached barn. It's time to get things organized. Fresh year, fresh start. Yes, indeed, 2023 must be better than the past year.

    All the best!

    xxx Regula

    ReplyDelete
  6. well done cleaning your kitchen kitsch! do you have a dishwasher to shove all the stuff in?
    and well done too wearing your most colourful clothing to beat the gray weather - fabulous!
    happy 2023! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate, but no dishwasher here at Dove Cottage! xxx

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year! It looks like you found some lovely charity shop buys before the year closed out. I adore those boots, they are absolutely gorgeous! This dull weather is so tiresome isn't it? I'm ready for spring now. I hope you are having a lovely week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. How adorable to see all your kitchen knick knacks. I love to collect Polish Pottery and anything kitcheny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry that the weather has been so difficult lately! This is definitely a hard time of year when it comes to going out and about. That vintage dress you wore is just stunning. I love the blue and purple colours throughout. The blue belt you paired with it is fabulous. How wonderful that you were able to visit a charity shop after some time away! So many fabulous finds! I have to say, I just adore that red and black plaid knit dress. You have the best wardrobe! Watching Midsomer Murders sounds like an excellent way to spend New Year's Eve. I actually just started watching that show after finding it on a streaming service. Here is hoping that 2023 treats you well!

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon! We do love the old episodes of Midsomer Murders in particular. We have even visited some of the UK towns where it was filmed! xxx

      Delete
  10. Happy New Year.
    Look at all the fantastic things you found in the charity shops! The cardigans are all lovely, and those boots are such a good colour.
    I hope 2023 is great, and at the very least, less wet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Goody, and yes, less wet would be fine! xxx

      Delete
  11. Happy New Year! Love that iridescent purple/blue dress and your new slouchy suede boots.
    Like you, I hate loud bangs and for once, I was also in bed before midnight on New Year's Eve, having had a shocker of a night's sleep the night before. I was about to say Vivienne might not have approved, but then, perhaps she would. We both defied convention after all!
    Like Bess, Lotte watched the fireworks from behind the curtains. Aren't they funny? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates loud bangs! xxx

      Delete
  12. Such zingy colours, thank you. I love your orange ensemble. Looks tremendous on you. All the best for 2023, I look forward to visiting your blog this year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy New Year to you and Jos.
    Always love a peek at your kitchen treasures.
    You always seem to find great treasures and those suede boots are no exception. Love your blue and rust combination.
    Hope the sunshine makes an appearance for you this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy 2023! Let is be a year of enjoying and relaxing! Oh, look at Bess, she's the lady of the Manor right? I normally don't like new years eve at all. I think it's weird, it's just another day. But we celebrated it with friends and had the best time playing boardgames. I do hope it will stop raining tomorrow, I'm in need of some fresh air. Hoping that we can cycle a bit, and you and Jos go for a walk! Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy, and yes, of course Bess is the lady of the manor! xxx

      Delete
  15. Oh Bess 💕 Cutie!
    These dresses are all amazing. I am in love with the plaid dress and love you wearing orange. 😁
    Happy, healthy 2023 🍀🍄🥂
    with a huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy New Year!

    I love your new boots! And the fab red and black dress looks wonderful, too. I'd have snapped both of them up in an instant.

    I loved all your outfits but the three dresses were my favourites; all gorgeous and beautifully accessorised...the fox head brooch is just so cute.

    I hope 2023 brings you everything you wish for.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. You've totally provided a bit of sunshine in the form of fabulously colourful outfits!
    Really love the iridiscent dress with the blue accessories and that cute ring!. I'm admiring your geometric pattern top with the rusty colours of skirt and new boots, so cool!. But my favourite one is the groovilicious dress with orange accessories (the cat brooch!) and that perfect cardi!, totally love your 'pile on the sunshine' attitude!
    Your new cardigans look really fabulous, and I'm looking forward to see those dresses 'in action'!.
    I also miss more attention on Vivienne Westwood, she was a visionary and an icon indeed!.
    Your kitchenalia always put a smile on my face!. So lovely!
    Wishing you a fabulous year!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Monica! Dame Vivienne was a real icon indeed! xxx

      Delete
  18. I get down in rainy weather too! I feel penned in because I COULD go out on the rain but I would be miserable and probably get wet. And carrying home bags from the secondhand shops would be more difficult.

    I think I have been following you for less than a year so your collections are mostly new to me and I love seeing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura, and I'm glad you enjoy seeing my mad collections :-) xxx

      Delete
  19. The sun is out today otherwise we too have had a lot of rain and clouds. Love those trays at the thrift shop. And you of course look as marvelous as ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hena, and here's to more sunshine! xxx

      Delete
  20. A belated happy new year to you Ann! An episode of Midsomer Murders and to bed before midnight - that is total rock & my kind of night 🤘 Glad that you are now better xXx

    ReplyDelete