Friday 23 December 2022

Still ill

 A week ago on Thursday I arrived home all hot and bothered and with an imperceptible tickle in my throat which for the moment I chose to ignore. 

I put it all down to the whirlwind visit from my bosses earlier that week as one of them seemed to have brought a persistent cough with him. Their visit also included a visit to IKEA to select some furniture for the soon to be finished office, part of which was supposed to be delivered on Thursday morning. 

When they still hadn't shown up by 2.30 pm, a phonecall to IKEA confirmed that they were stuck in traffic. Then, when they eventually did arrive half an hour later, they weren't able to find a proper parking spot. When your office building is landlocked in the middle of a city's main shopping area, this tends to be a problem at the best of times. To cut a long story short, they refused to put their blinkers on and quickly unload the stuff in the street at the back of our building, which is what everybody else is doing all the time. Having had to run downstairs and argue with them in the biting sub-zero cold seemed to have made matters worse so, quite unsurprisingly, I wasn't feeling exactly my best when I woke up on Friday morning.

We lingered over breakfast, after which I started feeling a bit more human and was even prompted to dress up in something stylish, warm and comfortable. We might have scrapped our usually charity shopping plans, but I still wanted to dress up and look the part, even if reclining on the sofa would be the only order of the day.



I'd bought the mustard flannel skirt brand new from Uniqlo back in October, and this was its first wearing. It's from the shop's collaboration with the French model and fashion designer Inès de La Fressange. Together with the vintage blue acrylic jumper and the white fluffy waistcoat which was a cheeky and cheap high street buy a couple of years ago, it was absolutely perfect to brave the continuing deep freeze temperatures. We were down to between -7°C to -9°C by now, which is a big deal in this part of the world.

Although I only briefly braved these bone-chilling temperatures for a handful of outfit photos in our new favourite spot ...




Then I was tempted by the sight of the iced gems in our garden to walk the length of the garden path and snap a few pictures. 

The last of the Nasturtiums, still going strong until a week or so before, had now all succumbed to frostbite, their limp orange blooms encrusted with jewels of ice.



These, together with the icing sugar coated bright red Cotoneaster berries and the clusters of dusky blue Virginia Creeper fruits provided the odd splash of colour.



Then it was back inside to hunker down for the rest of the weekend, Bess unashamedly taking advantage of the fact that we weren't gallivanting around like we usually do on a weekend.

By Saturday, I was a coughing and snuffling wreck, with brain fog and fatigue preventing me from doing anything more strenuous than reading a couple of pages here and there. Although I did manage to cobble together my previous blog post and publish it that evening.


We even had to cancel Sunday's much anticipated visit to our friends Kris and Marnix, who live just over the border in Holland. Kris used to be my colleague before he moved abroad and due to circumstances which I'm sure don't need an explanation, we hadn't seen each other since December 2019. Which made it heart-rending that we once again had to postpone our reunion ...



Not even dressing up in one of my favourite vintage frocks managed to make me feel better. After taking a couple of hurried photos we scuttled back inside where I uncharacteristically changed into jogging bottoms and a jumper for the rest of the day.



At the time of writing, I'm still in the throes of the lurgy - which luckily turned out not to be Covid! - and my brain fog and fatigue are still very much present.


Consequently, there isn't much to tell you about my final working week of the year (apart from the fact that the IKEA delivery has now been completed), and as no outfit photos have been taken either, why don't we have a proper look at last week's flea market finds instead.

I was instantly drawn to the colours of this ancient and time-battered tin, which I believe to be from the 1930s. There's no indication as to its provenance, but I loved it enough to give it a home.



The flea market yielded some odds and ends as usual. The mystery object on the top left was pure childhood nostalgia for Jos, who remembered being given this bank savings calculator when he was a schoolboy. 

The trivet on the top right was a giveaway by washing power brand Tide back in the day and depicts a well-known Bruges scene. It was a gift from friend and trader Tanja. 

The small hinged trinket box came from the stall of another favourite trader, Ilona, and has already been roped in to hold my jewellery selections for the week.



Tanja had to laugh when I made a beeline for the green cruet set, commenting that I always go for the kitschiest items on her stall. Well, what can I say? I'd already spotted it on her Facebook page the day before, so I made sure to look out for it especially, hoping that it hadn't been sold in the meantime. And that was before she told me it was English!



Back to back with Tanja's stall, is Rita's, supplier of last market's plaster lady. Her stall now contained a display of perspex rings, which all turned to be my diminutive size. Apparently, they all came from the same lady who could no longer wear them due to arthritis. 

From a box full of furry hats, Rita then conjured up the delightful muff on the bottom left, which I insisted on wearing for the rest of the market. 

Meanwhile, Jos fell for the white Bakelite pillbox size thingy bearing the logo of Belgian chocolate and biscuit factory Victoria, instantly recognizable to people of a certain age in Belgium!

When I picked up the tiny fruit basket, which is actually a brooch, for closer inspection, Rita insisted that I accept it as a gift. Isn't she - and the basket - sweet?




Finally, let's have a look at the other brooches I picked up and which, to answer Vronni's question in her comment to my previous post, have all found space in my drawers of brooches, even if it is becoming a bit of a squeeze in there! 

The celluloid deer came from the same stall as the 1930s tin, while both the fox's head with its piercing blue eyes - which might very well be my favourite - and the brown-hearted one on the bottom right came from random stalls. The latter is the only one which is marked. It's by Sarah Coventry. Founded in 1949 by Charles Stuart, Sarah Coventry's name was the combination of his granddaughter’s first name and the town of Coventry in England, where the Stuart family had emigrated from to the US. The jewellery was sold via house parties a la Tupperware and Avon.

Another regular seller, Nelly - who always gushes over my outfits - supplied the superb enamelled pansies brooch ...



... as well as the pink-rimmed plastic flower brooch (a twin of a blue-rimmed one I've had for years) and the gorgeous blue Cameo.

The tiny pair of cork slippers and the moulded rose brooch were my final finds of the day and came from another random stall.




That's all for now, my friends. I hope to be back in full health after Christmas and promise to catch up with your blogs soon.

Before I go, though, here's the other present my bosses brought me, and which was infinitely better than that nasty cough: a very fragrant Jo Malone gift set!

Have a wonderful Christmas, whichever way you celebrate it - or not!


36 comments:

  1. Thank goodness it isn't covid, though no one enjoys the flu either. I hope you're back feeling better soon.
    Great selection of brooches from the flea market this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Goody! I never had flu this bad before. It completely ruined my week off as well, but thankfully I'm all OK now! xxx

      Delete
  2. poor thing! hope you´r feeling much better now!
    ikea delivering is the worst - we had ordered e few essentiels for robin´s nest - it was a nightmare: half of the stuff was missing, something was broken, although we placed one order they needed to come several times with only a few things each.......... thankfully its not our usual spot to shop.
    thanx goodness for fleamarkets and thrift shops :-D
    and especially if the favorite trader give cute pressies!!
    stay warm! hugsies! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beate! Thankfully, IKEA isn't our usual spot to shop either. I think my bosses would be horrified if I'd bought things for the office in the thrift shops :-)) xxx

      Delete
  3. I know it can't always be helped, but I used to dread someone bringing a seasonal bug into the office, particularly close to Christmas as it's inevitable they will share it and plans go awry as a result! Hope you're feeling much better now and can reschedule your arrangements very soon.
    Love the attention to detail in your frost photos and honesty has the most beautiful seed heads don't you think?
    Really lovely Christmas gift and flea market finds to make up for all the trauma - my favourites being the perspex rings, the muff and that cute little fox brooch. Happy Christmas! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, me too, Claire! It's a good thing I've only got one colleague, but I never thought one of my bosses would be bringing over a bug from Miami! xxx

      Delete
  4. I hope that you are feeling better now and that you manage to enjoy some of the seasonal break from work. Here's to the New Year and better times for us all. Carole.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, your bosses sure are generous with the Jo Malone gift set. And lovely ice gems in the photos! I was deathly sick a month after I got over covid with some sort of nasty virus. It took another month to recover. Hope you get to feeling yourself again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so sorry to hear it took you so long to recover, Joni. It's a very persistent virus, it seems. xxx

      Delete
  6. Oops... I'm also a little cold, very stupid cough, goes around here in my area.
    But anyway, I wish you a Merry Christmas from the bottom of my heart.
    Relax... think positive Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Viola! I hope your cold didn't bother you too much ... xxx

      Delete
  7. Sorry you're under the weather. I'm sure you'll make the best of the festive season. See you on the other side. jean x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean! At least my time off allowed me to convalesce, but now I do need another break! xxx

      Delete
  8. Get well soon! How nasty to be sick at Christmas. All the best! Regula

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Ann, sorry to hear you succumbed to the dreaded lurgy. It must be bad if you have resorted to joggers and jumper! :0 Well done for sticking with the fab outfits for a little while though. On my last couple of days of work, I escaped the main office as I could hear one person had a chesty cough, another was streaming with a fresh cold. I am lucky that I can take myself to a cubby hole office to work (more like a broom cupboard type setup).

    Thank you for sharing your lovely finds. The fox brooch is gorgeous! There's a fab children's short story (by Australian Author Paul Jennings) about a fox that gets blue eyes from eating lemons from a tree where a character's blue eyed grandpa was buried. It was also turned into a brilliant quirky TV series back in the 90s called 'Round the Twist'. Also loving the little tin with dancing mushroom girls.

    I hope you start to feel better soon and that you are able to enjoy the festive season. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that we've moved back to our old office, I can retreat to a separate room whenever there's a bug going around.
      I'll have to look out for that children's short story, it sounds lovely! xxx

      Delete
  10. Seasons Greetings, my dear friend! I'm so sorry that you succumbed to the dreaded lurgy and that your plans were cancelled. I hope you can meet up with your pals in the new year.
    Some fab finds - I love the snakeskin cantilevered jewellery box and the bejewelled fox head brooch especially.
    That fake fur gilet looks wonderfully snuggly as does the Uniqlo skirt and tangerine cardi. Talking of snuggly, look at Bess, doesn't she look cosy?
    Hoping you're on the mend and that you'll be able to enjoy your holidays from work. How fancy is your gift from the bosses? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! That lurgy was a bad one, as it's not often that you'll find me on the sofa wearing joggers and a jumper all day! And yes, it seems my bosses are big Jo Malone fans ... xxx

      Delete
  11. I do hope you are over your lurgy! My daughter and her partner were ill just before Christmas and she definitely had flu.

    The Uniqlo skirt is beautiful and looks very elegant. I also loved the colour. You're wearing those gorgeous long green boots again; I would be so happy if I came across a similar pair in the charity shop!

    As for your flea market finds - loved the tin, the cruet set brought back lots of memories from my childhood. I saw them mostly in cafes I seem to recall. Loved the new jewellery storage, too. The brooches were a magnificent collection; all gorgeous but I think, like you, the fox head is my absolute favourite.

    How lovely is that Jo Malone set from your bosses?

    Happy New Year!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! I was so happy to find that Uniqlo skirt. I'd been lusting after it but was initially told it was sold out. I had no idea about the cruet sets being used in cafés, so thank you for that. xxx

      Delete
  12. So sorry that you had to cancel your plans and stay at home!, hope you'll find better soon!.
    I've dealt with the 'supposed to be delivered' thing and can understand the stress!. And obviously, stress doesn't make you feel better when you've got a cold.
    Thanks for these lovely outfits that you braved the elements to show us!. Looking fab in your fluffy waistcoat and cute skirt, comfy and stylish! and love your floral dress too!
    Those brooches are delightful, all of them!, but my favourite piece is the 30's tin box, really adorable! and perspex rings!.
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! It was love at first sight for the 30s tin, and I'm always happy when I spot these perspex rings. They're becoming quite the rarity it seems! xxx

      Delete
  13. At first I thought: oh no, Ann is sick at Christmas! But luckely your blog was a week behind.... of course, lol. Its a nasty virus that blows around. I was sick 4 weeks ago and still so very out of breath. So many gorgeous broches you found, and I love that cruet set! What a pretty colour. I wish you a great New Year's Eve and a good start of 2023!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your first thought was correct, Nancy, I was actually sick at Christmas :-( So sorry to hear you were sick for so long :-( xxx

      Delete
  14. Loving the small hinged trinket box. I hope you're feeling better now. Wishing you all the best for the new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nikki, and best wishes for you too! xxx

      Delete
  15. Wonderful findings! Great outfits too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. As I know we have been ill at the same time, I have much sympathy for you! Horrible illness! Love Mr Foxy brooch! You in joggers?? I'm amazed! I too, during my worsr ill week was wearing charity shopped cashmere joggers. Kezzoe x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least yours were cashmere joggers, that's very classy! xxx

      Delete
  17. I would most definitely have given that tin house room as well it's gorgeous, like you I do have a weak spot for the kitsch! I hope you had a lovely Christmas and are now back to full health. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gisela, I'm afraid I am a sucker for kitsch! xxx

      Delete
  18. I'm sorry, Sweetie. Thought you had COVID and am glad to hear it's something else. Rest and feel better soon. We care about you!

    ReplyDelete