Monday 12 December 2022

Cold as ice

Although I will probably never be a fully paid up member of the Christmas fanclub, this year the run-up to the festive season isn't making me feel as nauseous as it usually does. Don't worry though, I won't be joining the hordes of Christmas shopping zombies any time soon! However, I have been inside the big pop-up Christmas shop on Antwerp's shopping thoroughfare and (yes, really!) and, after putting up the office "faux fir" weeks ago, we have now put up our own tree as well, which is the earliest we've ever done. 

I've just realized that I have mentioned the C word no less than three times in the first paragraph of my post. Oh dear, there really must be something wrong with me!



To celebrate our long-suffering passageway's return from the dead, we started the first weekend of December by going shopping for some pansies and a couple of Winter-loving plants to add to our display. 

As usual at this time of year, plants and gardening stuff have taken a backseat in the garden centre in favour of the annual Christmas extravaganza. Although we ignored this as much as we could while winding our way to the plant tables at the back, I couldn't resist snapping a photo of the huge tree decorated with all manner of bird houses and wild bird food.

We weren't able to walk past the fake steam train at the entrance without making use of it as a backdrop for a couple of outfit photos, showing you my newly unearthed Winter coat and my beret and scarf of the day.


As it was gloomy and cold, with highs of only 5°C, knits and layers were the order of the day.

My blue and white velvet floral skirt was supplied by Think Twice about three years ago, while its companion, the green Norwegian style jumper, originally from H&M, was charity shopped in January of this year.  




With its busy and colourful pattern, it wasn't easy to find a brooch which would stand out, but then my eye was drawn to this vintage off-white celluloid flower, which certainly did the trick. The pink in the jumper's pattern was picked up with my necklace and belt, the latter being the only item in my outfit which was bought brand new.

The faux fur cropped gilet I layered over my jumper was a charity shop find, while I picked up the snake print ankle boots in a vintage per kilo shop earlier that week.



In spite of the uninviting weather, I donned my old hoodie and gardening apron after lunch and got stuck in the passageway. I planted up the pansies, as well as a cyclamen and a couple of hellebores we'd brought back from the garden centre. Before I'd even finished the first pot, however, my fingers were frozen solid, as in my haste to get going I'd forgotten to put on my gardening gloves.

That said, there's a marked difference between the actual temperature and that in the sheltered passageway. Always having been a degree or two warmer here, it appears that the new, higher wall has increased the difference to no less than three degrees!



This makes it the ideal place to overwinter some of our tender plants, so I moved all the geraniums and a salvia to the passageway. Courtesy of the mild temperatures we had well into November, two of the geraniums are still in flower as I type, while the salvia still bears several purple spikes.



The next day, Saturday 3 December, was bitterly cold with a sharp East wind, the mercury not climbing higher than 3°C. 

To cheer up this dark and dismal day, we started thinking ahead to next Summer by booking our holiday cottage in Shropshire for two weeks in June. Then, after a lunch of omelettes and homemade bread, we drove to the charity shop in Duffel for a rummage.

You can tell it's getting really cold when I keep on my beret when making outfit photos in our garage! This lilac one - a colour that was still missing from my collection - was a high street find a couple of months ago.



I selected this dress - an old Think Twice find - for its wool content, layering a camisole as well as a long-sleeved t-shirt underneath. Don't you love the dress's flower basket pattern?

The blue Zoë Loveborn cardigan, with its fan-like pattern and orange and blue buttons, was charity shopped, as were my blue woven belt and beaded necklace. The pink pearly brooch pinned to my dress came from Think Twice.



I spent a happy hour or so perusing the shop's clothing aisles, finding a handful of treasures. 

Then, walking past the bookshelves on my way to join Jos in the cafetaria, this book caught my eye. Written by Deborah Cadbury, one of the descendants of the Cadbury dynasty, The Chocolate Wars tells the story of the great British chocolatiers and the rivalry between them. I can't wait to read this although I think my chocoholic husband will get his hands on it first!




The treasures from the clothing aisles included a snuggly part mohair green tartan skirt, an orange King Louie cardigan, a label-less funky t-shirt and a cream daisy belt with a bit of sparkle by Belgian label Caroline Biss, with the silly price tag of € 0,50.

And while we're on the subject, let me show you my lunch break finds from earlier that week. On the top right, a better view of those snake print ankle boots I was wearing on Friday. As already mentioned, they're from a vintage per kilo shop, and they cost me just under € 10.

The vintage blouse with its Paisley pattern and the chocolate brown tank top were picked up from the charity shop a couple of houses down from my hairdresser, whom I visited on Wednesday.



Back at home, I retreated to the sofa with the weekend papers, my latest read, and Bess, who is always claiming lap time whenever we dare to sit down. 


Sunday was even colder than Saturday, the temperature now having dropped to 2°C, with the icy East wind still out in full force.

To combat the Baltic weather conditions, my new tartan skirt, a.k.a. the blanket skirt, came to the rescue. Having recently dug out my jumpers, I opted for a burgundy one with a knitted pattern of owls. I found it in a charity shop during the Christmas holidays last year, its origins unknown as it had only retained its care label. Recently I came across a similar one, so that I now know it once graced the rails of Belgian high street shop Lola Liza.



I added my Caroline Biss belt to add a bit of shape and kept its cream colour company by wearing a vintage brooch and ditto necklace in the same shade.



The morning was spent pottering around and assembling some outfits for the working week ahead as usual. That done, and triggered by the orange King Louie cardigan I'd found on Saturday, I did a drastic cull of my cardigans, weeding out all the cheap and plain ones, which I hadn't been wearing for the longest time. I only kept those colours for which I haven't found a better quality alternative yet. 

Although we would have preferred battening down the hatches at Dove Cottage and not leaving the house until Monday morning, a prior engagement meant that we had to go out in the cold.




We returned to the neighbouring village of Duffel, but this time it wasn't the charity shop we were headed for.

Same as last year, a musical concert was being organized and performed by Jos's granddaughter Saar and four of her girlfriends, who go by the name of Knits and Notes. As we were in a prime position in the first row, Jos snapped a couple of photos with his phone. His granddaughter Saar is the girl in the burgundy dress!



So, that was another weekend come and gone. Even three-day ones do not last forever!

I'm leaving you for now with a foggy, yet atmospheric view from my office window, the Christmas lights spiralling up the trees and the lit-up shop window being the only pools of colour in a grey cityscape. 


36 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are making room for some festive experiences, even if this is not your favourite time of year. The pop-up shop sounds lovely and it is always nice to have a tree up! How cute is that tree with the bird houses? I love it. That Norwegian style sweater is beautiful. And I love that purple hat you wore the next day! Wow, that book on the chocolate wars sounds fascinating! Definitely my kind of read. I always love seeing your beautiful accessories. You have such spectacular pieces!

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon! I can't wait to get started on the chocolate book, but my current read is taking forever to finish! xxx

      Delete
  2. That last photo of the foggy cityscape is so lovely and atmospheric, Ann!

    I am in LOVE with your tartan skirt and of course, I noticed your new "snoots" (snake-print boots!). I have a very similar pair in blue tones, so we are now twins!

    Good for you for culling your cardis - Always Be Upgrading is one of my better slogans, and I know you'll be able to replace some of your less-classy ones in no time. Aw, love the pics of pretty Bess.

    I know the lure of staying home, but it's so fun to get out and participate in something festive, so I'm glad you got to see Jos' granddaughter performing!

    Have a good week, my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! I do remember your snoots. In fact, I already had another pair, but I couldn't resist these since they've got a lower, more comfortable, heel! xxx

      Delete
  3. Music is always a lovely way to brighten up winter, all the better performed by family.
    Your flower basket dress is beautiful. Love how it looks with blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Goody! Funnily enough, I never wore the dress with blue before ... xxx

      Delete
  4. you´r gettin old i guess (the x-mas thing) ;-DDD
    you´r passageway looks gorgeous now! the white painted wall spends light and you got a nice sheltered place for all your plants.....
    like goody i love your flower basket dress! so pretty!
    hugsies! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Homemade bread? Do you bake your own bread?
    Two weeks in England sound heavenly doesn't it! What a relief the passageway is finally yours again. What a stress right. I adore that owl sweater, so terribly cute. And so lovely that Jos'granddaughter performs like that. She looks incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do, Nancy, although not all the time. We've got one of those bread machines. Just chuck everything in and you've got a perfect loaf a couple of hours later! xxx

      Delete
  6. Well thank you for a very jolly post. The passagway is looking splendid. I'm glad you're feeling a bit of Christmas magic, me too, for the first time in years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean. Unfortunately Christmas didn't work out as planned as I was ill. But I guess there's always next year ... xxx

      Delete
  7. Xmas.....noooooo! I had to endure Stop the Cavalry twice today!
    You've done a wonderful job with the passageway, it's a gorgeous little nook now. You'd never guess it was a battleground only weeks ago!
    I love your winter outfits but particularly the black sprigged floral midi, it's fab! I'm excited about your next trip to Shropshire!!!
    Love the paisley blouse and tank top although it's Bess that steals the show.
    I worked at Cadburys over in Bourneville back in the 1980s, the stream ran brown and the air smelt of chocolate (I could never get it out of my clothes!)
    Jos's daughter is gorgeous as well as talented. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, and no need to worry, I'm still not a fan! And surely the eternal Christmas music is the worst! xxx

      Delete
  8. We have snow and ice and it's been flipping freezing here!

    So glad to see you have your passage way back and it's looking brilliant. I love the yellow chairs and table and all the plants look to be flourishing.

    Fabulous finds; the belt must be the bargain of the year! I loved all your outfits and I'm in love with the H&M jumper; green with a Fair Isle pattern absolutely lovely and two of my favourite things in clothes! Well done on mending the zip on the dress.

    Jos's daughter looks lovely and how fab you got to see the performance!

    The Cadbury authored book looks very interesting indeed.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully we didn't have any snow, but it was freezing cold nonetheless ...
      And thank you for the compliment on Jos's granddaughter. She is indeed a lovely, and multi-talented girl! xxx

      Delete
  9. It looks like you crammed loads in over one weekend. You look so snug in the faux fur gilet. I have one that I always seem to forget to take out of my wardrobe, I don't know why given we've had days of below freezing temperatures here in Yorkshire, it would be the perfect layering item. Your little seating area is perfect, a bright sanctuary in this grey weather. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise! I do love faux fir gilets. I've got a burgundy one as well, but haven't the faintest idea where it got to :-) xxx

      Delete
  10. Sweet grandchild, the concert must have been great.
    Your view from the office window is really very grey... but luckily you make up for that with your colorful wardrobe... I like your colours, e.g. now in the Christmas month definitely the green sweater :-)) the bang is also the dress with the blue cardigan and purple hat with a blue chain... I like it. Yes! Or the coat in the first picture... amazing your treasures.
    I wish you a lot of joy and thank you very much, I enjoy looking at it.
    Hug for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great to see the passageway looking so fantastic (and glad that the massive wall has created a milder temperature for your plants!, that's a silver lining!), you did a great job!
    Not that bad for not being a Christmas fan!, ;DD, but that fake steam train was such a fab background!. I have to recognize that I'm mesmerized by some trees and lights and beautiful nativity scenes, even if I'm totally in the Grinch team.
    Looking lovely in your Norwegian style pullover and furry gilet, those blues and greens and pink details are delightful!. Also lovely dress with that flower basket pattern, and blue and lilac combo. That 'blanket skirt' looks fab too, and really love your red pullover and that new floral belt.
    Great news that you booked your holidays in advance, being really sensible. We've planned a trip to the Pyrenees region in June, no english holidays for us this year (probably!?)
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monica, and I'm glad I'm not the only one in the Grinch team :-) We wanted to make sure we would be able to return to our favourite cottage in June, so we couldn't risk waiting for much longer ... xxx

      Delete
  12. I really like your Saturday outfit - the lilac hat and blue cardigan are so nice with that dress! It's good you were able to enjoy the concert as well, despite the weather being so cold for you. It's strange to think of that here, I don't think it's ever gotten so cold her in Brisbane, and we are definitely feeling the summer heat and humidity at the moment!

    Hope you are having a nice weekend :)

    www.awayfromtheblue.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica! It's strange to think that you're feeling the Summer heat while we're in the depths of Winter! xxx

      Delete
  13. Love your outfits. The combination of blue and green is always fantastic. That is a great skirt and sweater combo. I also love your furry vest. The second outfit is very chic and very you.❤️❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, I'm loving your outfits! They are rich in pattern, colour and sumptuous fabrics!! The velvet skirt is really nice!!!
    I like the sound of that Cadbury book! I loved the History of Chocolate at the museums in Antwerp and Bruges so I think I'd like this! Glad there have been benefits from the garden wall upheaval. What sort of Hellebores did you buy? I think I need a new one as I have the most boring green one!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kezzie! We already had some Hellebores in the garden, a dark burgundy one called "Red Lady" and a cream one with tiny red spots called "White Lady". The ones we got now are the plain white Helleborus niger ones and a greenish one I forgot the name of ... xxx

      Delete
  15. What a great view from your office window. I haven't been in town for so long, I can't remember how it looks before and at Christmas. I ordered three books this morning and hopefully can get them on Saturday while tasting a bit of Christmassy town feeling. :-) Have a good time! xxx Regula

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so glad the passageway is back! At least you got an extra degree of heat as partial payback for the upheval!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura, we still have some work to do, though! xxx

      Delete
  17. Oh Ann, your patio garden looks so lovely in these photos. Nevermind the cold, I'd happily sit there having a nice cuppa. I hope the frost didn't do over any plants. Some of mine are a squishy mess - I'm getting out there soon to tidy them up. Jos' granddaughter looks gorgeous. It would be fab if we had a little clip of them singing - looks magical. I love that foggy city shot xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lulu! The geraniums and salvia have succumbed to the frost by now, but I'm sure they'll survive another year ... xxx

      Delete
  18. I'm so glad to hear you have finally got your passageway back. I bet you can't wait for the spring so you can really get planting. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gisela, we still have some work to do, such as re-laying some of the pavers, but at least we'll have somewhere to sit once the weather allows! xxx

      Delete