Tuesday 25 October 2022

About time

Time has been a bit of a distorted concept these days. At least, it has been in my book. The days are passing by at the speed of light, yet the weeks do tend to creep along at a snail's pace, seemingly taking forever to reach the weekend. Then, without fail, Saturday and Sunday whizz by and before I can catch my breath it's Sunday evening with another working week just a short night's sleep away. 

Having been utterly spoiled in the last two years, when first my working week was reduced to two and then three days during the pandemic, followed by four-day weeks courtesy of heaps of leftover holiday allowance, my current five-day weeks are nothing but a pain. I've been able to take Friday afternoons off once or twice, but I'm missing my Friday sleep-ins and leisurely breakfasts, followed by the luxury of a whole extra day to do as I please. I'll be going back to four days as soon as my colleague is back and then, hopefully, I'll be able to make it a permanent fixture.



With just Saturday and Sunday to cram in everything I love doing - not to mention the inevitable chores, which I fully admit often fall by the wayside - is virtually impossible. One thing, however, which come rain or shine is always top of my list is taking the time to get dressed and play around with my wardrobe.



Saturday the 8th of October was no exception, although this time I already had an inkling of what I would be wearing. The grey, black and rust plaid skirt I'd found at Think Twice back in September had been hanging outside my wardrobe ever since, patiently awaiting its first outing. Taking the lead from the rust stripes in its plaid, I had this funky bell-sleeved blouse in mind to pair it with. Charity shopped in Spring, it's by JBC - a Belgian high street label - and has a pattern of rust coloured white stemmed flowers on midnight blue.



The only gripe I've got with the blouse is its high fold-over collar which simply refuses to stay flat. In a bid to save the problem, I tried out a couple of brooches to tame it, but none of them looked right until I stumbled upon this white vintage flower brooch. Surely, it couldn't have been a better match!

At 15°C and with only a modicum of sunshine, it needed another layer which, what with the bell sleeves, was easier said than done. Although not matching any of the colours in the rest of my outfit, I thought my mustard batwing cardigan, from H&M by way of a charity shop, solved the problem perfectly.

Finally, my outerwear consisted of a grey tweed blazer with elaborate embroidery on one side only. This too was an old charity shop find.

Saturday's main activity was a rummage at the charity shops with a picnic in-between, but as I already showed you my finds in my previous post, let's move swiftly to Sunday.



The mercury got stuck at 15°C, but with the sun out in full force, it was the perfect weather to go for a slightly longer walk. Something we hadn't been able to do since we came back from our September getaway as the weather had been playing spoilsport. 

I ticked off a couple of tasks in the morning, including putting together some likely outfits for the week ahead. Then, after an early lunch, we picked up our car and were off. 

Our destination of choice was one of the ex-clay pit based nature reserves in the area, Walenhoek. By now, I've lost count of all the times I have taken you there, but my blog tells me that we last walked here back in May. About time we paid it another visit, surely.




At just a 20 minute drive from Dove Cottage, and covering 60 hectares of woodland and reed-bordered lakes and ponds, it is the perfect place to unwind in all seasons, although admittedly Autumn is a firm favourite.

On this early October Sunday, the leaves were just starting to turn and there was the odd toadstool poking its head through the leaf-mulched soil. The crunch of the layers of leaves under our feet and the unmistakable earthy fragrance typical of Autumn were adding to the sensory delights of the season.




I love it all: the hazy light, the works of art supplied by Mother Nature, the nostril tickling aromas and the pervading air of melancholy. And although it awakens a tendency to wax lyrical in me, I couldn't have put it any better than this:

"The first breath of autumn was in the air, a prodigal feeling, a feeling of wanting, taking, and keeping before it is too late." ~ J. L. Carr



My outfit was another one combining things old, new-to-me and the odd item bought brand new on the high street, in this case my black stretchy belt with its square buckle.

The skirt came from Think Twice and is another purchase I made back in Spring, when I fell in love with its folksy black, green and orange floral pattern.



If I remember correctly, the orange blouse with its slightly abstract flower print was picked up from Think Twice as well. Same as the leaf brooch, it is vintage, although the latter was a flea market find.

The charity shops, in their turn, supplied the faux-tortoise shell necklace, green cardigan and the sage green wool blazer which I'd selected as my outerwear.



Creatures of habit that we are, we always seem to end up taking the same route through the domain, the meandering paths tiptoeing between ponds and through patches of impenetrable woodland where nature has been allowed to take its course.



The forces of nature soon reclaimed the area after the brick making industry declined in the late 1970, but there's still the odd relic from the past hidden among the wilderness, such as the old electricity cabin with its picturesquely peeling and rusty red door.




And so another weekend had come to its inevitable end and I'm looking suitably melancholy here. Try as I might, it proved to be impossible to keep the Sunday blues at bay. 

It has been a bit quiet at the office lately, which makes the weeks seem even longer. To say I wasn't looking forward to another one of those slow weeks is quite an understatement. On top of that, Monday, which had had a sunny start, soon became overcast with rain threatening at a moment's notice. Typically, it held off until it was time to go home, which scuppered all plans to take any photos of my outfit.





This was what I wore on Tuesday, which was a sun-drenched day with highs of 17°C. Nevertheless, I definitely needed all the layers, as we were into the single figures that morning. By lunchtime I no longer had any need for the hot pink cardigan I'd thrown over my dress.

My dress, of course, was another Think Twice find. With its full-on pattern of multi-coloured flowers - not to mention the odd pagoda - on a vivid cobalt blue background, it must be one of the most eye-catching frocks in my wardrobe.



There's no lack of colours to choose from to accessorize it with, although with its green buttons this is often the one I go for.  Not this time, though: I let hot pink play the starring role.

My necklace of painted wooden beads, which also contains a nod to some of the other colours, as well as my pink leather Tommy Hilfiger belt, were both charity shopped at one time or another, while the metal dragonfly brooch was a flea market find. Only the pink plastic ring was a high street buy.



Making the most of the day's sunshine, I strolled over to one of the Think Twice shops in my lunch break. In stark contrast to my regular pre-Covid shopping sprees, pickings have been meagre lately and more often than not I'm leaving the shops empty handed. I wasn't expecting to find much that day either, but old habits die hard, so I keep going for regular rummages, hoping to find treasure among the prevailing 1990s trash. 

It had been a while since I found some decent vintage dresses, so when I spotted this polyester frock from the Finnish Marketta label, I couldn't pounce fast enough. I fell hard for its pink and green abstract print, its flower shaped buttons and its tie neck.




I'm a sucker for anything plaid, so this black, grey and red wool-polyester blend dress definitely tickled my fancy. It's got a flattering fit and flare shape and although it is short-sleeved, it's going to be a welcome addition to my Winter wardrobe, worn with a long-sleeved T-shirt or polo-neck layered underneath. I've already found it the perfect belt in my stash!

I'll keep you in suspense about the rest of the week and the weekend ahead until my next post. Hope to see you again soon!


40 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about the days (daze?) and weeks, Ann! The weekends are FAR too fast, and the work-days just drag. My office is still really dead, and I'm still at 4 days a week (a year later)...and at this point, I really don't want to go back to full-time work!

    Your first outfit is just lovely - the blazer and skirt were surely made for each other. The new blouse is a fabulous pattern.

    I always enjoy your wanders - it's so very much like here, and then not. Lovely pics.

    Woo, that blue/pink outfit is a sight for eyes accustomed to seeing people in grey/beige! I love that blue dress!

    Excellent finds - I too am seeing fewer good quality garments. I don't mind some of the 90s stuff, but a lot of it is just the precursor to today's fast fashion.

    Hang in there, honey, only a few days till the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! Even a 4-day week feels too much sometimes. Retirement is beckoning, I guess, but I'll have to hang on for a couple of years yet! xxx

      Delete
  2. I love the print on the bell sleeve blouse, and the floral print skirt is a beautiful find.
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. poor black sheep.... just imagine - while sitting at your office desk - all the STUFF (2.hand or not) you can buy with the money you earn ;-D
    speaking of - the plaid items are fab - i´m a sucker for that pattern too! i remember such dresses from the 70s - always worn with a polo-neck or pussy-bow-blouse underneath....
    hugsies! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, sniff, sniff ... I do love having a 4-day week and a 3-day weekend, which feels much more balanced to me! xxx

      Delete
  4. I definitely know what you mean. Time has been passing so quickly lately that it is difficult to keep up with it all! I'm sorry your work weeks have been so long. I definitely understand! Hopefully you are able to get back to those lovely four day weeks soon!

    The blouse with the vintage white flower broach is stunning. I love the skirt you paired with it as well. Also, you always visit such beautiful and picturesque places! I love living vicariously through your blog and all of your wonderful photos.

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much Shannon! You're always welcome to tag along! xxx

      Delete
  5. Fabulous Finds !!! Please visit, I am also The Victorian Tailor,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Mrs Autumn! You really are blending well with the rich coloured seasonal landscape Ann. Aren't we lucky to be having some October sunshine?
    I know exactly what you mean about weekends disappearing too quickly and that feeling of melancholy that kicks in on a Sunday evening is also very familiar. Hopefully the four day week will help.
    The pink and green abstract print dress is definitely a keeper! Amazing! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! I'm definitely an Autumn type, as they say ... xxx

      Delete
  7. Totally agree that having a five days week at work has felt really exhausting after our more relaxing timetable. And time flies when it's weekend!. How could I do so many things in the BC times?
    Love your plaid skirt particularly, and the brilliant ensemble you created around it, the brooch, the cardi and jacket layered over that cute blouse!.
    And so whimsical photos and words around your Sunday walk, I'm a huge fan of autumn!. So obviously loving your outfit too!, love the orange shirt enhancing that colour in the skirt, love the green shades too, so great ensemble!
    Totally fab cobalt dress, love its print and your colourful necklace and pink accessorizing!.
    And admiring your finds, both dresses look fab!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica, and you're quite right there. I often wonder how I got things done in the BC times, and if that kind of life will ever come back ... xxx

      Delete
  8. Can't even imagine anymore how it feels to work 5 days a week. But i can imagine it can be overwhelming, especially since you experienced it otherwise. When we go to our national park we always walk the same route, well 2 routes, lol. You found some beautiful dresses, I love plaid a lot too! Guess where we will be on Guy Fawkes day Ann!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you get used to working less, I guess there's no going back, is there? And I already guessed where you were going :-) xxx

      Delete
  9. It must be difficult to shift schedules on such short notice. Keeping my fingers crossed for your workmate's speedy recovery.
    The jacket in the top photo is utterly gorgeous. I love how all the old and new pieces work so well together in your wardrobe. I don't have the skill to plan outfits when I buy a new piece, but your wardrobe always amazes me.
    I hope next week eases up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Goody, my colleague is back now, which is quite a relief. I'm good on my own but not all the time. But I'm not good at planning outfits when I buy a new piece either. I impulse buy far too often! xxx

      Delete
  10. Beautiful quote about fall you shared. Even your sentiment before the quote is very poetic. Do you write poetry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joni! I used to write poetry when I was younger, but I guess I'll always be a romantic soul! xxx

      Delete
  11. I never get tired of seeing you photos of Walenhoek, it's so beautiful!
    It must be really hard working five day weeks again. I hope your workmate returns soon and you can go back to your more relaxed way of life again.
    I love the H&M cardi layered with the misbehaving blouse and Prince of Wales check skirt but all your outfits are fantastic, you look especially Lady of the Manor-like in your Think Twice midi skirt and tweed jacket gazing wistfully over the gatepost!
    Looking forward to seeing your new buys styled up like a pro! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix, I guess that's why we keep returning again and again. Oh, and my colleague is back now although with the office move I've only been able to take one Friday off so far ... xxx

      Delete
  12. That image of you leaning on the fence is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can understand that you are missing another day off. I work 4 days a week, I need this free time urgently and very often for myself. 😊
    I think you definitely need adequate time to play with your wardrobe.😁
    Autumn is wonderful and you wear the most beautiful colors with it. Hachz and you have a leaf brooch.💕
    with a very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! Isn't working 4 days just the best? xxx

      Delete
  14. Oh goodness, 5 day weeks must feel horrid after shorter weeks! I know how busy you are at work so it must be very hard!
    You look lovely in the outfits- what a jolly yellow knit and I love the blouse- the white brooch really works well!
    You did well on the two T2 dresses- they are gorgeous- I too, am a sucker for plaid/checks!
    Love your pictures from your walk- beautiful colours.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie, I'm definitely a sucker for plaid as well! xxx

      Delete
  15. I started working part-time this summer. What a treat even if I haven't notice much of the free time yet. But that's another story. Working four days a week would benefit you. The weekend go by so quickly indeed. All the best! Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a treat indeed, Regula, and I'm sure you'll soon reap the benefits! xxx

      Delete
  16. I do hope you can soon return to your four day week .
    What a lovely place Walenhoek is for wandering and exploring , the colours and the light are just so beautiful.
    I would expect nothing less from you than beautifully co-ordinated outfits. I did really like the short sleeve dolman cardigan over the blouse and your plaid skirt.
    Hoping the coming week is a good one for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill! The short sleeve dolman cardigan is one of my favourite pieces! xxx

      Delete
  17. Hello Ann, a four day week does indeed sound much more civilised. The work wheel does not know how to deal with people with hobbies and interests! Well done for fitting some fabulous outfits and a glorious walk into your two day weekend though. Fab find with the plaid dress xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lulu, the work wheel is quite relentless indeed! xxx

      Delete
  18. The Autumn colours are so lovely this year aren't they? You are not alone I am properly struggling to keep on top of everything too, there is never enough time. I particularly love the plaid dress.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the fact that even though you haven't much time you still show off your wonderful outfits. The colours are always so uplifting. I hope that you soon have more spare time to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean, my blog is one of the things that keep me going! xxx

      Delete
  20. a lovely park! Is that the one you visited again in the next post, or another brick works? I don't know how many there are around there! I particularly love the ensemble with the gorgeous folksy skirt! I don't think I have ever seen one in Australian secondhand shops but maybe one day I'll see one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura! This is a different brick works nature reserve from the one in my next post. There are several of them, actually, at least 3 of which we visit regularly! xxx

      Delete