Monday 5 September 2022

Oh August

 "If you walk along the main street on an August afternoon there is nothing whatsoever to do."

When I first read this line, which is from the opening chapter of Carson McCullers' novella "The Ballad of the Sad Café", as a 15-year old in a school room, it struck a chord with me, as yes, that's exactly what it was like on the main street of the quiet backwater I was living in. 

This rang especially true in August, with half of the shops closed for their Summer holiday: the butchers and the bakers which were still plentiful back then, before they closed down, one by one, for good.

 My mum had sent me off on a treasure hunt for the last loaf of bread in the village, and as I cycled up and down the main street, finding all the shutters closed, drops of sweat trickled down my back and the oppressive heat was just as stifling as the air of boredom which hung over the village. It was, after all, the long hot Summer of 1976 and there really was nothing whatsoever to do.



Fast-forward forty-six years, and I'm still living in the same village. Or rather, I came back here after an 18-year hiatus when I was in my late thirties. The butchers and bakers have been replaced by generic chain stores and a handful of fashionable boutiques. Yet, on a hot August afternoon, the main street is as deserted as it was back then, except for the steady trickle of cars passing through. 

This year, it feels as if August has passed us by, its days a blur of indistinguishable hot and noise-filled ones. But you've put up with my moaning for long enough now, so perhaps it's time to have a look at what I've been wearing to combat the recurrent heatwaves. 

My wardrobe full of Diolen delights has hardly seen the light of day! 



My vintage cotton Madras check dress made an appearance on Tuesday the 9th of August when, after a couple of days when the mercury didn't climb higher than a moderate 25°C, we were back into the high twenties. 

I took advantage of both the white and the red in its check for my accessories. I hadn't worn the white pleated leather belt in a while and in fact, I'd completely forgotten about it until I came across a photo on my blog in which I was wearing it. 



The weather gods, intent on making us melt into puddles of sweat, sent 31°C our way on Wednesday the 10th. 

Enter this mid-century cotton cap-sleeved frock, in darkest blue patterned with red and white, a Think Twice sales bargain back in June 2019. 

I picked up the red with my ring, necklace and belt and added a vintage celluloid Scottie dos brooch to the dress's square neckline.




Tuesday's red Gabor sandals would have been perfect here, but both they and my toes had had a mishap on my way home that day. Having had to jump out of the path of an e-scooter, whose driver clearly thought the red traffic light wasn't meant for him, I cut two of my toes on some random pieces of debris lying in the gutter. Luckily the cuts were only superficial, but they bled nonetheless, resulting in some unsightly stains on my sandals, which I haven't yet had the get-up-and-go to try and remove.

It wasn't the only mishap that would befall me that week, you see. On Friday evening - we were the 12th by now - while suffering a blinding headache as a result of yet more noise from next door, I stumbled and fell while upstairs, leaving me with bruises on my upper left arm and both of my knees. In fact, my left knee was rather swollen and was rapidly turning black and blue. Fortunately, the swelling soon came down after the application of a spray given to us by our other neighbour's son.




The weekend ahead, which was an extended one as Monday the 15th was a bank holiday in Belgium, was set to become another hot one, with temperatures well over 30°C. 

As much as we would have loved to escape, it simply was too hot to do anything much. The only place where it would be reasonably bearable was the seaside, but that was a definite no-no because of the bank holiday weekend. It was later reported to have been one of the busiest weekends ever!

And then there was my poor knee which I didn't want to put too much of a strain on, even if it wasn't as painful as I'd expected it to be the next day.



We had a - fruitless - errand to run on Saturday, after which we battened the hatches at Dove Cottage and tried to keep cool.  On our way back, we stopped off at the Museum of Folklore for some local Lady of the Manor poses.

Both the palazzo trousers and the peasant-style blouse were sales bargains from the high street. I was wooed by the trousers in the Summer of 2020. They're from Mango and are easily the most comfortable trousers I've ever worn. Apart from their Paisley-esque pattern, they have pockets and huge splits at the sides allowing for the necessary ventilation on a hot day.

The blouse is from New Look and has been gracing my wardrobe for several years. It might even be my most worn item of clothing on the blog!

Flat yellow sandals, my enamelled butterfly brooch, and a charity shopped black and white necklace completed my outfit.




Sunday was the hottest day of the week, and if I remember correctly I wore a vintage playsuit all day. No photos were taken, though.

We dug up our holiday brochures for our upcoming yearly trip to Belgium's west country - if there are no further mishaps, we are leaving tomorrow! - and jotted down some ideas. I have a feeling Bess knew what we were up to, as she did her very utmost to thwart our plans!



Hallelujah, it actually rained overnight, and there were puddles! Well, there was one on the towpath next to the park in Duffel where we went for a walk on Monday, relishing the fact that the temperature had dropped to just 23°C. 

However, if the moody sky held the promise of more rain, it never materialized. In fact, by the time we'd completed our circuit of the park, the odd patch of blue was starting to appear.



Adjacent to the towpath and the park are the ruins of castle "Ter Elst", whose origins date back to the 12th century. Over the years, we have watched the decline of the ruin with more than just a hint of sadness.

Long gone are the days when events took place in its courtyard, as due to stability reasons the site had to be closed down in 2012 and the wrought iron gates giving access to the bridge have remained firmly padlocked ever since.

We once went to a flea market here, on yet another hot August day, when a brass band was playing in the castle grounds, the bandleader's well-meant but hilarious comments having us in stitches.




But there is good news at last, as the site is scheduled to receive a grant next year, so that the long-awaited renovation work can finally be tackled. In fact, a start has already been made in stabilizing the building.

The renovations will include reconnecting the walls and adding a glass roof to the Great Hall so that it can be used for events. In the courtyard, the contours of the vanished castle will be made visible with variations in the floor pattern, and it is meant to become a resting place for walkers and cyclists. To this end, a new foot and cycle bridge connecting the castle island with the towpath will be constructed.

It all sounds very promising, although I'm sure the ruin will lose some of its charm in the process as well.


Now, let's have a look at what I was wearing. This vintage cotton frock with its gathered cap sleeves was just the ticket that day. It was also long enough to hide my injured knee, although of course I am happy to oblige and show it to my faithful readers and followers :-)

That isn't real broderie anglaise, by the way, it is part of the pattern. The dress is also sparingly sprinkled with blue daisies, which obviously rules out the use of any other brooches than the one I'm wearing here.



As I am fastly running out of time, I thought I'd whizz you through some of the outfits I wore in August's penultimate week.

Here, my flower-infused cotton 1970s skirt from Think Twice went hand in hand with a charity shopped King Louie blouse, to which I'd pinned a vintage brooch picked up from a flea market. The necklace with its tiny orange tiles was charity shopped as well, but the black stretchy belt with its square buckle was a recent high street buy.




Both the skirt and the blouse in my next outfit are from the Belgian Who's That Girl label, and both were recent charity shop finds. Again, only the stretchy belt was bought brand new on the high street. 

The massive bird on a branch brooch - which neatly ties in with the birds and twigs pattern of the skirt - was a charity shop find, as was the mustard cardigan, while the necklace came from a long-gone vintage shop. 



As I was browsing Facebook one evening, I was horrified to read that there had a been a fire in the tower building in Antwerp which my office looks out on . They are currently renovating the building, which was completed in 1931 and hailed as Europe's firs skyscraper. The project will take many years to finish and has now been the source of noisy goings-on for about a year. There really is hardly any peace and quiet to be found in my life at the moment. 





This is my current view from my 5th floor office window, so why don't we have a look at something a bit more cheerful instead?

This floaty, chiffon-y dress was another Think Twice find, picked up many years ago. The dress's cerulean blue backdrop is patterned with black and white squiggles and a garland of blowsy flowers near its hemline.



More black and white was added with the chevron patterned belt with its round, black wooden buckle, and the rim around the roses in my brooch.

My bright pink cardigan and my favourite necklace from Accessorize were both retail purchases which have by now stood the test of time.



Cool cottons were once again represented in one of my favourite outfits of the last couple of weeks.

Again, both the skirt and the blouse were charity shopped. The striped skirt, which is scattered with rosebuds in various colours, was originally from H&M, and picked up in a charity shop between lockdowns in July 2020. The orange and pink patterned blouse, which is from the Belgian Mer du Nord label, was a more recent find.

Not wanting the hassle of too many accessories on this +30°C, I kept them to the bare minimum, only adding a vintage, navy and white beaded necklace and one of my contemporary cat brooches.




And speaking of cats, how about some photos of our darling little monster to end this post.

I'm sure she'll miss cuddling as much as we will while we're on our break, but we'll make up for it in just over a week!



43 comments:

  1. Gosh you really did bruise you knee quite badly. Hope it is feeling better now.
    Have a fabulous holiday, look forward to hearing all about it. I do enjoy your travelogues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carole, my knee had healed well in time for my holiday! xxx

      Delete
  2. The Madras check dress is beautiful and I loved the palazzos and blouse outfit. Hope your knee feels better now.
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous collection of outfits, Ann! I can't pick a fave, although I love the Madras print and those fabulous palazzos. Your poor knee! Thank you for the pic - share the good and the bad, right? :)

    Lovely to see Bess all stretchy and full of mischief. Give her a hug for me, from Vizzini. My apologies for missing an entry - life this week has been rough.

    XO
    She

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whooow what a great collection you are ride Ann its looks you amazing wher are a those beautifull years my dear 😉

      Delete
    2. Thank you Sheila! That's what we are doing it for, surely, sharing the good as well as the bad! xxx

      Delete
  4. oyeaa and you looks like Velma from scoobyyy doooo 😍

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry - but bess totally steals the show :-D
    although your cotton-y outfits are colourful und bright as ever - bess with her fluffy and elegant patterned belly gives you a run for your applause......
    your poor knee! hope its better by now! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate, and yes I know Bess is stealing the show each and every time :-) xxx

      Delete
  6. I think Bess needs her own blog, she's such a diva and a beautiful one at that!
    I'm sorry about the knee and the ongoing racket but delighted to see your colourful clothes especially that red dress with the divine ruffly shoulders! The lady of the manor pose is most becoming, too!
    Your description of your home town is wonderfully atmospheric, I can't imagine living anywhere so quiet - Walsall's always been bustling and lively!
    I hope you both have the most fantastic escape! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! Bess is becoming more and more of a diva as time goes by :-) xxx

      Delete
  7. I didn't know that you have a twin sister. ;-) It seems that the hot summer days are over although it has been warm and humid today. We are expecting a cold front which is going to finish the summer. I don't mind as I love September with its fallish weather. Enjoy what's left of summer! Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regula, and yes, I did manage to keep that a secret :-) xxx

      Delete
  8. As others have commented Bess is certainly becoming quite the star. I am running late with my comments so i know you are already enjoying your time away.
    I did enjoy seeing more of your wonderful Summer outfits . Hope that knee has recovered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill, my knee recovered faster than I imagined it would! xxx

      Delete
  9. Luckily the stress and noise and all that surround you don't reflect your outfits who are as colourful and interesting as ever. It surprised me that a New Look blouse is your most worn item. But I presume that it is pre loved. I hope your knee feels good by now and that you both are enjoying your holiday. This is the first week of ours and we had to leave our Biesbosch stay early as my father was hospitalised again. We are going to make a decision tonight wether we will go to the UK. Enjoy your time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! I was sorry to hear you had to return from Biesbosch earlier :-( And no, I'm afraid the New Look blouse wasn't even pre-loved :-) xxx

      Delete
  10. Sounds like you've been in the wars m'dear, sorry to read that. But now on one of your lovely jaunts, hopefully you will find lots of peace and quiet. All your outfits are so well put together, but I think it's the 'twins' that is the winner for me. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean! I admit that the twins outfit was my favourite as well! xxx

      Delete
  11. Ouch! Your poor knee - and toes! Hope they've healed and gone by now...

    What wonderful outfits; Some beautiful dresses I don't think I've seen before. Loved the Madras check and those paisley trousers are beautiful. I loved the Scottie dogs brooch especially but fabulous accessories as always.

    I am so glad to hear they are going to refurbish the castle - it's too good a building to let just rot. I hope you'll keep us updated on its progress.

    Bess is a very slinky cat!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni, and obviously I'll keep you all updated on its progress :-) xxx

      Delete
  12. I just had to scroll back to find the bruise! I just thought I was looking at the pattern!!! Yeouch, thar looks painful!
    This really is a gorgeous set of outfits. So colourful and pretty. Your first outfit seems appropriate for our British news.
    The renovations on the tower sound promising.
    Bess is such a sweetie! When I think how shy she was!!!
    Hope you get some peace and solitude on your holiday.
    Kezzie X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well, of course I had to match my outfit to the colours of my bruise :-) xxx

      Delete
  13. wow, Totally Understand that feeling of 'nothing to do and everything closed' so tipycal on August, one of my less favourites months!. Particularly when you're a teenager in a small town, which totally resonates with my own experience.
    Madras checks are so fantastic and summery and cool! and totally love the classic color combo and your accessories. So beautiful details!. And also in love with the second cotton dress too, and the cute Scottie dogs brooch!
    Sorry for your poor toes (E-scooters are like a plague here, they even use the sidewalk, so nobody is safe!). And sorry that you bruised your knees, such a bad luck!. I'm prone to accidents and personally feel that humilliation is worse than pain!
    Those palazzo trousers are totally my kind of thing, so fabulous!. Also lovely red dress (and blue daisy brooch is delightfully matchy) and lovely pose near the ruins of the castle, lots of inspiring landscapes!
    Love both patterned blouses with skirts, with all the greens and mustard colour (and the cute brooches and necklaces, you rock accessorizing!). Also love those pink&blue last outfits, again lovely patterned blouse with lots of fun!, and the cool dress!.
    So annoying there are so many noisy works around you nowadays. Glad that you're taking a break from all that chaos!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! I loved reading of our shared experiences, both with the feeling of nothing to do and everything closed and the E-scooters plague! xxx

      Delete
  14. Bess is adorable!
    Great outfits for the heat too. I'm glad you're okay. Both incidents sound awful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Ann, I'm just trying to catch up after a hectic and stressful week.

    I loved your evocative description of the summer of 1976. I can relate. At the age of 14, I was living in a small village, also feeling that nothing was happening and that life was passing me by.

    Sorry to hear about your accidents and I really hope that knee is on the mend!

    Wonderful photos of the ruined castle and as for your outfits, I particularly love those palazzo pants and that gorgeous butterfly brooch and the final featured outfit.

    As for Bess, she is very funny...her reclining pose showing off her belly really made me laugh! Hope you're enjoying your well deserved break! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No wonder I escaped to the big city at the earliest opportunity ... only to return to my hometown less than 15 years later! xxx

      Delete
  16. Love all your outfits as usual, Ann, in particular your red dress, looks lovely.

    Oh you poor thing, look at those bruises! Take care.

    I can't wait for the weather to heat up a little here in Melbourne. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jess, I hope you've been enjoying the first of the Spring days by now! xxx

      Delete
  17. Love all your outfits. Sorry to hear about your cuts and bruises. Hope they heal soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry to hear it was a week of accidents!

    I love the white butterfly brooch, I have always thought the "cabbage white" butterflies were lovely but my parents hated them because apparently the caterpillars really eat your plants!

    I love the red vintage gingham/ broderie dress!

    Have a great break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura, this is my favourite out of all my butterfly brooches! xxx

      Delete
  19. Lovely outfits...hope you get well soon dear...take care :-)
    Beauty and Fashion/Glamansion/Rampdiary

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful countryside photos and a well deserved giant waffle after. Our weather has changed here too Ann. We had so much rain for a few days xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurie, I'm afraid we shared your rainy weather! xxx

      Delete
  21. Aaah that Bess belly!

    I hope you've recovered from your fall now - knees are such tricky things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's simply irresistible! And yes, my knee has fully recovered. It was looking nasty and I didn't expect it to get well as fast as it did! xxx

      Delete