Saturday 23 April 2022

April blues

It seems I got a case of the April blues earlier this month. 

Don't worry, though: I'm talking about clothes and not about my state of mind! When I was compiling the photos for this post, I couldn't help but noticing I'd been wearing a lot of blue recently.

Let's start with this dream of a dress I wore on Sunday the 10th of April. Could there be anything more Springlike than a blue dress sprinkled with white flowers, emulating blossoms on a blue-skied Spring day? 


Picked up at Think Twice back in the mists of time, the dress, which zips up at the front, comes with a wide pleated skirt and a tie collar. Add to this the advantage of its long sleeves, and it's absolutely perfect for those days when the temperatures haven't quite caught up with the time of year.



Sunshiny yellow was added with my King Louie cardigan - a charity shop find, obviously - as well as the brooch I clipped to the dress's tie.

I was also wearing a yellow belt and tights, but you'll have to take my word for this, as they are all but invisible in the photos. The plastic, turquoise-rimmed flower brooch, was a flea market find if  I remember correctly.

My boots, which I bought from a local shoe shop back in November, have been on constant rotation ever since. This is the pair I wore for traipsing all over Bruges, to give you an idea of their level of comfort.



In continuation of Saturday's walk in the park, which had been a definite boost to my health, both mental and otherwise, we drove down to our beloved Middelheim shortly after lunch.

As variety is said to be the spice of life, we entered through the so-called Artist's Entrance (top left) which I'm sure you won't be surprised to learn is another work of art. It was created by Dutch artist John Körmeling in 2012.

Hardly anything is what it seems here, although I'm quite sure the intriguing yellow feather I spotted in the grass was purely accidental.



From the entrance, we walked through a grassy field towards the park proper. 

A handful of artworks are scattered across the field which is punctuated by some low-stemmed trees, now proudly displaying delicate, pink-hued blossoms.



We tried to guess the age of some of the sculptures we walked past, guessing correctly that these two were created in the 1950s. A giveaway, really, as these couldn't have been more Mid-Century.

On the top left, Les Murs ont des Oreilles que la Maison ne Connait pas, by Belgian sculptor Reinhoud d'Haese (1958), and on the bottom right, Six Persons by Italian sculptor Luciano Minguzzi (1957).



Even these engraved benches are part of an art installation, called Backwards, by William Forsythe and dating from 2018.  There's a 4th bench, instructing you to walk 5 steps away, but someone was sitting on it. Let me tell you that these are quite impossible to accomplish, even the ones with just 5 or 7 steps!

Forsythe gained international recognition as artistic director of the Frankfurt Ballet from 1984-2004, continuing his work as a choreographer until 2015 with the Forsythe Company. He is considered to be one of the most creative innovators in contemporary ballet. Since the 1990s Forsythe has designed installations, which he calls “choreographic objects”, and which have been exhibited in leading museums around the world.



Yellow LED lights popped on the minute we entered the architectural sculpture (1986-1990) by Bruce Nauman, called Diamond Shaped Room with Yellow Light. In the artist's own words: "The bright yellow light can dazzle you just as you enter. Colour and form are confusing. You don't want to stay in this room for very long." Well, I certainly didn't, but managed to bump my head on the concrete lintel on my way out. 

On the bottom left, the perforated bronze sculpture called Envelope (1996), by Tony Cragg (UK).

Once again, I wanted to be a piece of the action, by replacing the sculpture which usually stands here (bottom right) but was currently on loan. It was only later that I found out the sculpture was a nude!



Before crossing the street and making our way towards the castle café, we rested our feet for a couple of minutes on the built-in benches of the picturesque thatched little building which used to be the park keeper's cottage, and which goes by the romantic name of Aubette. Dating from the late 19th Century, it was restored to its former glory in 2016.



Before calling it a day and returning to our car, we enjoyed our customary cappuccinos and a hefty slice of cake (mine was chocolate mousse) in the museum café.



It was back to business as usual on Monday! Much to my relief, work hadn't been too busy during my absence, so that catching up was a doddle. Still, there were a couple of annoying issues which took the fun out of my working week. I made the most of the sunny weather to go for head-clearing walks during my lunch breaks. It was when I was taking a shortcut through Mango - the shop conveniently has two entrances at opposite ends - that I was stopped in my tracks by the sight of this glorious pair of floral, wide-legged, organic cotton trousers.



Eventually, Friday, which was the start of the long Easter weekend, rolled along. The weather forecast was looking more than promising and we had plans aplenty, starting with a charity shopping trip on Friday. It had been two weeks since our last one, and frankly speaking I was starting to get serious withdrawal symptoms!

Did we find anything? All will revealed at the end of this post. But first let me show you what I wearing. And yes, the colour blue played a starring role once again.




It had been far too long since I last wore this vintage belted new wool jacket, so out it came to accompany me on our after-shopping stroll in the park. I pinned a pale pink felt flower corsage to its lapel and wore the swirly striped multi-coloured scarf I charity shopped back in February.

Frothy blossoms and lawns full of cheeky little daisies were headlining that day, with clumps of red tulips providing the support act.





A light breeze tempered the 16°C indicated by the thermometer, so I was glad I'd opted for this blue and white short-sleeved jumper, closing with a row of three white shoulder buttons. 

Both the jumper, charity shopped last Autumn, and the floaty pleated skirt with its zebra-esque pattern, found on the same day as the scarf I was wearing, received their very first outing.



I'm sure neither the wooden disc necklace nor the Bohemian brooch need any further introduction, as you've seen it all before and often enough to boot. The belt used to belong to a dress which is no longer gracing my wardrobe.



Charity shop finds weren't exactly plentiful that day, but still enough to whet one's appetite.

Having become rarer than hen's teeth over the last couple of years, I was overjoyed to find this pale pink lace-edged vintage slip among one of the shops' nightwear rail.

Jos was in luck too, finding a shirt with the grooviest brown and cream pattern.



The red shoes are by the Portuguese Kiarflex brand, which was founded in 1987. They have already been tried and found extremely comfortable, a great alternative to my Clarks Cloudsteppers.

Finally, these two books found their way into my basket.

The Missing Sister is the final installment in Lucinda Riley's bestselling Seven Sisters series, which was published in April 2021, less than two months before the author passed away in June 2021.

Having read all six of the previous installments, some of them offering light relief from the worries of Covid and lockdown, it was obvious that I needed to read this one too. Not wanting to fork out its full price in a bookshop, I patiently waited until it turned up in the charity shops.



As I love poring over maps, and in particular Ordnance Survey ones in preparation of our UK holidays, this puzzle book was a no-brainer. 

The book contains a total of 40 maps with questions ranging from word puzzles, search-and-find clues, general knowledge questions, and navigational challenges, split into four levels of difficulty. It's quite addictive but you'll get cross-eyed from staring at those maps after a while!

Well, that's it for now. What we did during the rest of the Easter weekend will be the subject for my next post. Hope to see you again then!





41 comments:

  1. I really like these outfits as you know I love blue! the blue blazer is beautiful and I like the jumper as well, but my favourite outfit is that first one - blue and yellow together are such a cheerful combo! :)

    Hope you are having a good weekend :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica! I don't think you can go wrong with a blue and yellow combo! xxx

      Delete
  2. Definitely the best sort of blues to have. I love the new wool jacket, and I don't ever tire of seeing that beautiful disk necklace.
    I'd have bought those wide-legged trousers too. They'll be perfect for chilly summer days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Goody! Can't wait to wear those trousers, they're coming to the UK with me! xxx

      Delete
  3. I haven't met the Riley sisters yet ... I'm positive they will pop up in a thrift store. :-) Have a nice weekend! Regula

    ReplyDelete
  4. nothing speeks so much spring like bright light blue clothing!
    love your walks around sculpture park - but sorry for getting hit by art ;-D guess the chocolate mousse cake helped to come over the incident......
    hugsies! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate! It's not the first time I was hit by art, either, possibly because I am rather clumsy sometimes :-) xxx

      Delete
  5. That blue dress with white flower print is just perfect for Spring. I love how you paired it with a yellow cardigan. Blue and yellow is such a gorgeous combo.
    Those floral pants you picked up in Mango are very chic.
    I really like the outfit with the short sleeved blue sweater and the brown skirt. The blue blazer is a great pairing with it as well.
    Thank you for sharing William Forsythe's art installations. Ballet artists are such creative people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! I never realized before that those benches were an art installation! xxx

      Delete
  6. Ann, I like you in blue, it really suits you especially when paired with yellow. And those floral trousers are fantastic. The Middelheim museum is similar to The Yorkshire Sculpture Park which is not too far from us. thank you for the tour. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean! I've heard about the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, and hope to visit it one day! xxx

      Delete
  7. I'm liking the blue and yellow outfit, a nod of support for Ukraine!
    Middelheim looks wonderfully spring-like with it's blossom and sunshine. Fancy bashing your head on the lintel, talk about suffering for the blog!
    I can't wait to see you in those trousers, they're fab.
    Seeing the map makes me very excited!!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! You might even see me wearing those trousers IRL, as they're definitely coming to the UK with me! xxx

      Delete
  8. Amazing you wear so many blue. The first dress with yellow cardigan is sooo gorgeous! 🌺
    a very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! It always amazes me how well blue suits me. It used to be my favourite colour as a young girl! xxx

      Delete
  9. Wonderful photos! I looks like the weather has been kind to you. That cake looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a lovely start of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tried to read the Seven Sisters books,but came not further then the half of the first one..... Loving all the blues especially the gorgeous jacket. It wouldn't do me good if I would walk through Mango almost every day, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Seven Sisters are an acquired taste, I guess! I try to avoid walking through Mango as much as I can :-) xxx

      Delete
  12. Blue and yellow is a delightful combination. It puts me in mind of the cute little forget-me-not flowers popping up everywhere right now. Fancy banging your head after just clearing it of that dreadful cold! The sculptures are all very fascinating and the chocolate cake looks divine! Those floral trousers are going to look incredible! I bought someone a book in the Lucinda Riley series a few years ago but have yet to read them myself. Have a good week! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! The Seven Sisters series might be a bit far-fetched for my taste, but the books definitely manage to real you in. xxx

      Delete
  13. Ooooh! I love maps too and that Ordnance Survey book looks wonderful. I've never seen anything like that in the UK - yet...

    Lovely outfits and accessories as always. The Mango trousers looked lovely and I'm guessing you bought them? How could you have resisted? I couldn't have resisted that chocolate cake either!

    Hope you have a great week,
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased to hear I'm not the only one who loves maps! The book was published in the UK, perhaps it will turn up in one of your charity shops some time! xxx

      Delete
  14. I love seeing your wardrobe's colours gradually shift into springier tones - the blues are spectacular. That is the best sculpture park - and it has a cafe? I'd be there every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila, and yes, it does have a café and restaurant. There's a huge terrace outside which obviously is very popular! xxx

      Delete
  15. The blue and yellow combo is beautiful, and I love your wool jacket!
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Blue is a lovely colour!

    Those benches sound tricky! I bet there are lots of kids trying it and falling over some days! I don't know if I could do the 5 steps one, I am very clumsy! I love the park keeper's cottage, it reminds me of a mushroom!

    Love those red shoes! I had a fabulous pair of red shoes with the little cut outs once and wore basically nothing else until they fell apart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very clumsy too, Laura, and I haven't been able to do even the 5 steps one yet! xxx

      Delete
  17. Totally agree that your blue dress with yellow cardi ensemble feels like Spring! glorious Spring indeed!, looking so lovely in these colours! and so delightfully matchy accessorized!. And so beautiful photos, great to see you enjoying your walk. Love particularly your photo of the park keeper's cottage.
    Also lovely jacket and jumper in blue, rocking this colour!.
    Those new trousers look really fab, comfy, groovy and organic cotton!
    Love those red shoes too, so cute style!, and so great to find something to read at charities (I'm not lucky this way here!)
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I'm Monica (mrsallnut), couldn't sign to comment (totally my fault!)

      Delete
    2. Thank you Monica! I knew it was you: you're the only one who ends their comments with "besos" :-)
      I think I'm buying 99% of my reading matter in the charity shops. I always balk at the prices in "real" bookshops! xxx

      Delete
  18. Your outfits are definitely more 'cheery blue spring sky' than 'feeling a bit blue' - they're so lovely, they brighten everything up.

    Those wide-legged trousers are *excellent* - you're going to make them look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mim! I haven't worn the trousers yet, but I will get there. They couldn't be more me if they tried! xxx

      Delete
  19. Ann, you look like the essence of spring! I very much enjoyed your walk and sculpture re-creation. I too have a thing for red shoes and maps ❤️❤️❤️ xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lulu, and I'm glad to read you've got a thing for maps too! xxx

      Delete
  20. That terrific blue dress really is springtime in sartorial form. What a sweet, chipper piece to have in your closet.

    Those pink blossoms are breathtaking!!! I am patiently waiting still for the first ones of the season to appear here. We have grass and buds, but nary a pretty pink (or white, etc) blossom yet on our street (as far as I can see at least; I can't technically speak for what may be in most peoples' backyards, just their front ones ;D).

    Sunny hugs & joyful start of May wishes,
    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Autumn, and that blue dress is definitely one of my all-time favourites. I hope Spring comes along at yours very soon! xxx

      Delete