Thursday 10 March 2022

Spring awakening

After a couple of quieter weeks, February's final working week was a hectic one riddled with more than the usual amount of  problems. In order to keep on top of my workload and not jeopardize my Friday off, I limited my lunch breaks to a quick head-clearing walk around the block. 

The mixed bag of grey skies and showers, with only the odd sickly appearance of the sun, wasn't inviting any longer excursions anyway so that, in spite of my best intentions, I didn't even make it to any of the Think Twice shops to see what their new collections had in store.

Although the weather forecast for the weekend ahead was looking quite promising, sunny spells were few and far between on Friday the 25th, when a chilly wind made it feel decidedly cooler than the 8°C indicated by the thermometer.



Knits to the rescue! 

Can you believe I dithered over this thin knit dress of many colours when I spotted it on the rails of the charity shop we briefly visited the week before? Neither can I, but the fact is that I picked it up and hung it back and only started questioning my sanity when a lady who was in the process of trying on a heap of clothes told me she thought it would be just perfect for me. And she was right!

It's from a well-known web-shop's own brand (no, not Shein, I really wouldn't stoop that low), and the only thing bothering me was the dressing gown style belt it came with. That, and the annoying belt loops, were instantly removed once I got it home.



Due to its three-quarter length sleeves, I layered a long-sleeved tee-shirt in a matching green underneath. I was wearing matching burnt orange opaques - not that you can see them - and added an ochre yellow suede belt to define my waist. Although this doesn't actually match any of the dress's colours, it just looked right the minute I put it on.

My flower infused brooch was an old flea market find, while the necklace with its stack of tiny orange tiles was charity shopped in between lockdowns in 2020.




Both the charity shop goddesses and the weather gods conspired somewhat against us that day, which didn't improve the maudlin mood I was in. The latter even treated us to some sleet on our way home.

We left the first shop empty-handed, then drove to the second one where everything was in disarray due to some painting and redecorating work, which made most of the clothing aisles inaccessible. By then, as you might imagine, I was starting to get in a foul mood.  Just before giving it up as a lost cause, I did however find a blue pleated raffia belt for € 1,50 and a bag of sewing threads (including eight different shades of green) for € 1.



Not yet willing to call it a day, we stopped off at our local charity shop on the way home. Here, things were marginally better, although at first it looked as if I would leave empty handed here as well. But then my eye was caught by a vintage plaid Summer skirt and a modern orange floral top.



Back at home, I had emptied the bag of sewing threads on the sofa, and had just ran upstairs to search for the perfect receptacle for them, when Bess ran off with one of the spools. Softies that we are, we let her keep it. 

Lately, her favourite game involves the scratching bed (a.k.a. the scroll) we bought her many months ago and which was largely ignored by her until fairly recently. She doesn't use it for scratching though but rather reclines on it like a Roman god. Or goddess, in her case. She also loves chasing the empty spool - her current favourite toy - around the room until inevitably it disappears underneath the scroll. Her attempts to retrieve the spool, which includes shoving the scroll around the room, often has us in stitches. 



We woke up to a sunny day on Saturday, and although there had once again been a touch of frost overnight, the day developed into what felt like an early Spring one. Once again the thermometer insisted it was 8°C, even if it felt much warmer than it did on the Friday.

In spite of the sunshine, the dregs of my maudlin mood were still hanging around, so, to cheer ourselves up and give ourselves something to look forward to, we booked a couple of nights at the B&B near Bruges at the end of March. After all, I still had those birthday vouchers, given to me by Jos's children for my 60th, to spend.



My skirt, in a soft wool knit, is another item which hadn't yet seen the light of day this Winter, so it was a matter of now or never.

I fell in love with its glorious jacquard pattern when I plucked it from the rails at Think Twice back in the Autumn of 2019. What's more, it was during one of their sales, so I only paid a couple of € for it.
The blouse, in black Diolen printed with diagonals and flowers, was another Think Twice find, but predating the skirt by many years. Still too chilly to go it alone, I layered my teal King Louie cardigan on top. Accessories consisted of a tan leather belt, a recently charity shopped beaded necklace in the same colour, a teal flower brooch and a wood effect resin ring.




After a morning of pottering and doing a load of washing, we couldn't ignore the lure of those brilliant blue skies any longer and once again set off into the direction of Antwerp's delightful cluster of parks.

We parked our car in the main car park, noting that apparently we weren't the only ones making the most of the sunny weather. Nevertheless, with three large parks to choose from, it wasn't too busy anywhere, except at the children's playground near the tavern in the part of the park called Vogelzang.

We started our walk there, crossing the decorative cast iron bridge which had been under restoration the last time we visited. Then, steering clear of the playground and its screaming children, we walked towards Middelheim-Low, the part of the sculpture park we don't visit very often.





Some of the paths were cordoned off here as apparently storm Eunice had slain some of the gentle giants which have been guarding the park since time untold. A particularly unlucky one had even damaged one of the works of art, an architectural brick sculpture by Danish artist Per Kirkeby dating from 1993 (bottom left), a cross between a maze and a castle ruin. 

The toppled houses on the bottom right are no victims of the storm, they are part of a work of art dating from 2001 by Berlin artist Timm Ullrichs.



Venturing further into the park, we stopped at the open-plan exhibition pavillion called The House, from which strange bird calls were emanating. These too, of course, are part of a work of art, not surprisingly called Birdcalls. It is by American artist Louise Lawler who, using her own voice, has sounded out the names of twenty-nine well-known artists into bird calls.

Here's a sample of what it sounds like:




Leaving the pavillion and walking towards the road which bisects the two parts of the park, we caught a glimpse of a glorious, prematurely blooming, lilac Rhododendron. 



By then, we were gasping for a cup of coffee, so we crossed the road and made our way to the castle café. As the café's terrace was inundated with people, some of them enjoying a drink on the steps leading up to the café, we found a table inside, where it was a veritable oasis of quiet. Making use of our CST's or Vaccination Passports - which Jos actually had to remind the staff of - we ordered some welcome cappuccinos and apple crumbles.



Our return journey took us through the park's outdoor depot, an atmospheric place where retired sculptures huddle together, awaiting their fate.



My favourite is a sculpture called My Inner Beast, although I've only become aware of its title on this very visit. Intrigued, I trawled the Internet for more details, and apparently it is one of a series of concrete sculptures created by Danish artist Jens Galschiøt in November 1993, when twenty sculptures were erected in twenty cities in Europe without permission from the authorities, one of them in Antwerp. 

The sculptures depict a pig in human clothing, their purpose being an unconventional way to focus on the rising violence, intolerance, racism and persecution of minorities in Europe.



With blue skies and sunshine all day, accompanied by a mild 11°C, it wasn’t a day for staying inside on Sunday. I had plans for a long-overdue spot of gardening so, donning my gardening gear and grabbing a pair of secateurs, I pruned some of the rampant ivy and Winter Jasmine, cut back our Hydrangea and did a general tidy up until my back told me it had enough.




Still trying to give some of my soon to be redundant Winter wardrobe an outing, I wore this cozy
 wool-and-polyester blend frock with its multi-coloured flowers and foliage pattern. My crazily patterned green tights, which you can just make out in the above photo, was due an outing as well, as apparently I hadn't worn them since February 2018. 

I used a paler green for my belt, a delightful crochet one I bought in the Mango sales last year. My glass ring was a retail buy as well, but true to form my purple cardigan and necklace and my orange flower flower brooch were charity shop and flea market finds respectively.



So, that was February finally wrapped up. I will be back with what has been happening in March so far in a couple of days. Do stay safe and sane!



35 comments:

  1. I never would have guessed that first dress is modern. What a fun combination of colour and pattern.
    I'm not surprised Bess has found some fun in the thread spools. The scratching bed is different from the typical post. No wonder she treats it like a throne.

    That's an interesting art installation with the bird calls.

    I hope the weather cooperates to let you pack away your winter clothes soon, but that last dress is rather fabulous. I'd be sorry to pack that one away for the year.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Goody, and I'm so glad I bought that dress after all. It's been warm and sunny but expected to get colder again next week, so I won't be packing away my Winter clothes just yet! xxx

      Delete
  2. the abstract dress IS totally you! as is the last one with the swirly pattern in greens and oranges.....
    the green, multi-patterned skirt is fab too!
    its sad when beautiful huge trees get murdered by this horrible storms. don´t ask how our forests look in some places...... but your wander around the sculpure park made again for many interesting photos and even a video :-D
    lisbeth never had other toys then empty tread spools (no tread - she would eat it!), wine corks or the occasional ball of old paper - its really great fun to watch cats playing!
    hugsies! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate! Bess definitely seems to love the empty threat spools better than any of her "bought" toys. She's playing really wild games with them! xxx

      Delete
  3. Great post Ann! I had to laugh at the thought of Bess reclining on her scratch roll like a Roman Goddess! I was considering buying one for Lotte just before Christmas. I might have to now, just to see what she does with hers! The jacquard skirt and floral blouse outfit perfectly encapsulates spring. Lovely! Louise Lawler's Birdcalls is sublime and the pig in human clothing is more relevant than ever right now. I'm drooling over that apple crumble and looking forward to hearing all about your forthcoming Bruges trip. Take care. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! At first Bess wasn't interesting in her scratch roll, but it has become her favourite "toy" now, using it for playing wild games - and reclining - rather than for scratching :-) xxx

      Delete
  4. I had to laugh at Bess's scratch roll, we bought one for Stephen and Polly years ago from Wilkos and they never went near it. I love to think of Bess reclining like an empress on hers!
    Love the funky print dress, that lady was kind to point it out to you. The other two outfits are brilliant, too. Me and Liz were just talking about Shein, there's loads in charity shops around here and the quality is appalling.
    How fabulous are those retired sculptures? That Louise Lawlor installation seems very familiar.
    I think you took inspiration from those rhododendrons on Sunday, the beads are a perfect match! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to post a photo of Bess reclining on her scratch role ...
      I sometimes see Shein clothing in the charity shops too, but not very often. They probably fall apart before they even make it there :-) xxx

      Delete
  5. I love the fun we get out of our pets. Beau often has me in stitches. At last the days a getting lighter and a little brightness is coming our way Ann. I need to get into my garden too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurie! What would we be without our pets? xxx

      Delete
  6. A blue sky makes a huge difference. However, there is much to be happy about even if it rains, for example a playful cat. I envy cats anyway as they never seem to bother about anything other than food in the plate. Not for long though ... Have a nice Sunday! Regula

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm very curious about the brand of the first dress as it looks so vintage. And that jacquard skirt is devine. Those colors!! That rhododendron is early isn't it? Well at least it doesn't bloom in my garden yet. The magnolia does. I hope this dry and sunny weather will last for 3 more weeks as we leave for the UK in two weeks! Can you believe it? I can't!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I removed the dress's label as it was scratchy, but it was Anna Field, which I believe is only of the Zalando brands. We're booked for our June holiday, and I'll only believe it when I get there! xxx

      Delete
  8. Two fabulous dresses and that wonderful skirt made for 3 very stylish outfits. I loved those patterned green tights especially.

    We've had a couple of 16 degree days with blue skies - hurrah! The pig sculpture was very striking and very reminiscent of 'Animal Farm', I thought.

    I was astonished at the rhododendron in full bloom, too!

    I remembered reading about Bess and the empty spool of thread; how the cat we had when my children were small loved to play with the very same thing!

    Hope the brighter weather is continuing for you....
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! We've been enjoying some wonderful Spring weather in the meantime. I never thought of Animal Farm, but you are right there! xxx

      Delete
  9. Oooh, all of your outfits are really niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!! I really like the paisley dress!
    Middleheim is looking lovely there! I loved the castle cafe- yummy soup and cake, I remember!
    I think I missed quite a few of the sculptures!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie. Don't worry, not many people know about the sculptures in the outdoor depot! xxx

      Delete
  10. Love your charity shop finds! I really like that first dress on you!
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you were convinced to get that first dress - it looks so good on you! I love that last dress with the purple as well! It can be frustrating when you brave the weather and don't get anything in return for your efforts, so it was nice to see you did manage to pick up some things while charity shopping!

    Hope that your week is off to a good start! :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica! I'm definitely glad that lady convinced me to buy that dress! xxx

      Delete
  12. Hello Ann, you are totally rocking your dresses and brooches. Lovely to see that, like Vix, your 'gardening gear' is as fabulous as your day wear! It seems the fluffy goddess was most happy with her spooly treat and even offered you some gladiatorial entertainment as a way of thanks ;) Aren't you spoilt with the wonderful choice of parks and sculpture in Antwerp! You were very right to stop for coffee and crumble. Hope the weather gods are being kind to you this week, Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lulu! I often just throw on a fleecy jacket and my denim gardening apron over my day wear. Unless I'm wearing something really delicate, that is! xxx

      Delete
  13. wow, I'm in love with your knit dress, such magnificent colours and geometric pattern!, rocking it with those beads and belt accessorizing!
    Also lovely knit skirt and teal and tan accessories, so fab colour combo!.
    And that multicoloured flowers frock is really a sight for sore eyes, springlike and joyful colours, with the purple cardi and beads and contrasting brooch!.
    And lovely to see Bess enjoying her scratching stool and her new 'toy', mwhaha, so cute!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Monica! I can't believe I dithered over that dress! xxx

      Delete
  14. I love the Beast Inside statue! Those gardens look lovely!

    The last dress gives me William Morris meets psychedelia vibes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That statue is quite intriguing, isn't it Laura? xxx

      Delete
  15. That first dress is so gorgeous. I love the crazy pattern one as well and the fact you wore it with a green belt makes the dress even more chic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is one thoroughly vintage appropriate dress if ever there was. It looks, for all the world, like it could have been plucked from a trendy late 1960s high street shop. Stellar find - are each of new treasures you hit upon that rainy day.

    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    PS: Those slices of apple crumble tart/pie look swoon-worthily scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete