Saturday 5 March 2022

In the eye of the storm

Like many of you, I've been feeling quite overwhelmed by the devastating news bulletins on the Russian invasion of Ukraine, and once again, I'm having to limit my news intake to the bare minimum in order to keep the wolves of anxiety from my door. On top of that, work has been quite hectic lately, which has further drained by already depleted energy levels. The long and short of it is that my head is a mess and while words are jostling for space, stringing them together in an orderly fashion is quite another thing.

At this moment in time, posting outfits and charity shop finds might seem shallow and frivolous but, the odd moan aside, I'm trying to keep my blog a place of refuge away from all the devastating madness.



Starting as I mean to go on, what about some feline cuteness to get this post going?  Doesn't it just beggar belief that yesterday, the 4th of March, it had been one whole year since the sweetest of furry creatures moved into Dove Cottage, enriching our lives in the process? The seldom seen cat for the first few weeks, she has slowly but surely developed into quite a character, making Dove Cottage her own and turning Jos and I into her long-suffering yet adoring servants.




Now, back into the time machine we go, setting the controls for the stormy penultimate weekend of February. 

After the onslaught of storm Eunice, which arrived on Friday afternoon and battered us well into the evening, we opened our curtains to a sunny morning on Saturday. Being a bit wary of the weather, as rain and more high winds had been forecasted later that day, we were somewhat in limbo.

In the end, we decided on a trip to the garden centre to pick up some pansies and primulas, after which we continued to the small - for Belgian standards - charity shop in the neighbouring village of Reet.



I was wearing one of my all-time favourite vintage dresses which, much to my surprise, didn't yet get an outing this Winter. Its print featuring orange, lilac, green and white flowers on a black background never fails to put a spring in my step. It's got a solid black cowl neck and cuffs as well as a wide circle skirt which was just made for twirling. 

I layered it with a chunky green cardigan, which is from Mango by way of a charity shop, ant to which I pinned a vintage brooch featuring a crown of orange flowers with a white one at its heart. At my waist, I added one of my stretchy chevron belts and I wore a charity shopped off-white longline beaded necklace. I'm also offering you a glimpse of my burgundy plastic ring, one of Friday's finds I still owe you.



Back at home, Jos discovered that Eunice had made a casualty, beheading poor Venus by toppling her off our kitchen windowsill. As if it wasn't bad enough that she is armless! At the time of writing, Jos has glued her head back on, but for nearly two weeks it was looking at us balefully from its bed of houseleeks ...

With the weather gods treating us to a rainy all-dayer on Sunday, presenting us with a hailstorm accompanied by thunderbolt and lightning in the early evening, it was a day to remain firmly ensconced inside Dove Cottage. And that was before they sent us storm Franklin overnight!




The good news is that I had all the time in the world to photograph Friday's and Saturday's charity shop finds, although light conditions were understandably poor.

First up is this handmade skirt which bowled me over with its exuberant flower pattern. The eagle-eyed among you might have caught a glimpse of it in my shopping trolley pictured in my previous post.

The ochre knit jumper was another Friday find, albeit from a different shop.  As luck would have it, it turned out to work perfectly with some of my other finds too.



Case in point is the floaty pleated skirt in a chocolate and fudge zebra-esque pattern, originally from high street shop Lola&Liza. I spotted it when I saw someone returning it to the rails. The hessian belt with its massive rectangular wooden buckle was, of course, a no-brainer.



I fell hard for this funky pair of pull-on trousers, although I haven't decided whether they will be for lounging around the house only, or whether they will eventually get an outing.

The jewellery department did deliver again as well, with two scarf clips and two rings found for me by Jos, and two wooden beaded necklaces.


Apart from the jumper, all these were found at the 3-storey charity shop with the cafeteria in Duffel.

Joining the jumper at the 2-storey shop in Mechelen was Friday's star buy. I had just unsuccessfully tried on a Zara jacket with a faux fur collar, when my eye was caught by this fabulous grey, brown, blue and pink tweed coat by my beloved King Louie. And just look at that divine equestrian lining!



I'm guessing its original retail price must have been in the region of € 150, so the shop's € 6 price label must make it bargain of the year so far!

A not unimportant detail is that all its pockets are real ones!



I also found this multi-coloured striped scarf, which I thought looked very jaunty with the coat.

My final find in that particular shop was a fabric covered box which, at € 0,50, I found impossible to resist. Although I didn't have a purpose in mind for it at the time, that was soon remedied when I spotted the tiny runner embroidered with birds and flowers in the charity shop we briefly visited on Saturday. A snip at € 1,50!




They have conspired in totally transforming our hallway cabinet, with the box holding a ready supply of soon to be obsolete face masks. As from Monday, the mask mandate will be lifted in most places here in Belgium, except for on public transport and in healthcare institutions, although I'll still be wearing one in busy places for the time being.



Sunday's outfit was built around the green and pink plaid Betty Barclay dress I found at Think Twice back in November. Although Angelica modelled it for you at the time and I actually already wore it to work, it still had to make its debut on the blog featuring me!



I took my lead from the plaid's pink, opting for a pink-based woven belt to cinch my waist and a hot pink tie-neck cardigan for extra warmth.

My accessories consisted of a wooden beaded necklace with lashings of pink and a pink owl brooch which, apart from my raspberry pink opaques, is the only item in my outfit which was bought retail.

Even my forest green ankle boots were a serendipitous charity shop find back in November 2018. They came into my life after I'd succumbed to a pair in a high street shop while on holiday in Middelburg as my search for green ankle boots had so far been fruitless. 




Due to the inclement weather, we were once again reduced to making outfit photos inside. With the help of a recently required cheap ring light, they didn't turn out too badly this time.

It was a day for catching up on chores, so I dusted while Jos swept the upstairs rooms, then folded away the morning's washing, assembled some outfits for the upcoming week, uploaded photos and caught up with blogland.




The rest of the day was spent curled up on the sofa with my latest read, on which the jury is still out.

I'll be back with some long awaited sunny weather soon. In the meantime, please try not to let anxiety get the better of you!

Oh, and before I forget, it's my blog's sixth anniversary today. How is that even possible?



45 comments:

  1. Oh, Ann, keep doing what you do! The headlines on the news make me so anxious that my stomach hurts, and I very much need to read about your adventures and your thrifted outfits. And that fabulous cat Bess. I look forward to every one of your posts and I am grateful that you're helping me keep my sanity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely comment, Beth, and yes, I do promise to keep doing what I do. It is keeping me sane too! xxx

      Delete
  2. Happy Blog Anniversary! You have done incredibly well recently with your thrifty finds - love the King Louie coat, the zebra inspired skirt and your hallway table transformation! Your final outfit colour combination is sublime! I too am finding that my anxiety increases throughout the day and am limiting myself to news bulletins in daylight hours only. Every day I hope for some kind of breakthrough or light at the end of the tunnel. Distractions are a necessity right now. Take care. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire and I do agree that distractions are a necessity. I know we mustn't lose hope, but sometimes it's really hard to see that light at the end of the tunnel! xxx

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your blog anniversary.

    Well done! It's scary what politicians, publisher and leaders impose on us. Let's hope the people in charge think things through.

    It doesn't help anybody if you don't do what you like to do.

    All the best!

    Regula

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the anniversary! Here's to many more years of blogging! And to many years of enjoying Bess'company of course. We went out yesterday and it felt really good to be in a crowded restaurant and see no one wearing masks to be honest. Your find are superb as usual. But Jos had a good eye for accessoires! We have a Venus in our garden! With head...... and no scarves in the neck. Lol. Enjoy a sunny but cold Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! Indeed it does feel good not to be wearing or seeing masks all the time. A tiny slice of normality! xxx

      Delete
  5. Hello Ann, a very happy blog birthday to you! Your colourful outfits, weather gods updates and feline cuteness are a very welcome distraction right now. Poor Venus, I thought you were going for a Roman ruin look until you mentioned her head peeking out from the houseleeks :0 I think you can always tell a posh coat from the quality of the lining. Here's to real pockets, fake ones are just vexing. Anyhow, I hope you get a much needed respite with some sunshine in the mix xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lulu! We've got another Venus which clean broke in half as a result of an earlier storm, so there's you Roman ruin look :-) xxx

      Delete
  6. Oh sadly no pictures for me. It’s a lazy internet here. I wish you a happy blogbirtday. 🥳 and send many kisses from Sri Lanka , Tina

    ReplyDelete
  7. happy sixth blogaversary! I'm glad the weather was bad but it's good you were able to turn it into a positive and allow us to see so many great finds! I really like that pleated skirt and the coat was a great find! :)

    I've definitely been enjoying having blogging to escape to with a bit of fashion and frivolity! :)

    Hope that you are having a great weekend! Was a hot and sunny one here :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica! That pleated skirt is a firm favourite! xxx

      Delete
  8. Happy bloganniversary to you, dear Ann! I can't believe it's been a year since beautiful Bess entered your lives, too.
    Poor old Venus, battered by those dreadful storms.
    I think we all need a bit of light relief from the dreadful news coming out of Ukraine. All we can do is donate as much as we can to a reputable charity and keep those poor people in our minds. Your chazza shop finds are gorgeous, the pretty embroidered box, that posh coat and I bet those trousers look great on!
    I love your dark floral dress and your snazzy green checked one. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! Bess has been such a joy to us and will hopefully continue to be for many years to come. It'll be a bit of a wrench leaving her behind when we go on holiday! xxx

      Delete
  9. Your black floral dress is a triumph

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy blog anniversary Ann! Your gloriously colourful outfits are a real antidote to the sheer madness going on in the world. Green and pink are a fabulous combination.
    Queen Bess is looking beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carole! I think pink and green is gorgeous, if slightly underrated! xxx

      Delete
  11. one year?! time flies..... bess is such a cutie!
    both outfits are fabulous - and not, thats not shallow to post about clothes.... we need every little bit of soul soothing beauty.
    hugsies! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...congrats to 6 years of blogging... <3

      Delete
    2. Thanks Beate, and yes, we do need some of that soul soothing beauty to keep us going! xxx

      Delete
  12. Happy Blogiversary! Six years of fabulousness.
    That King Louie coat is a great find and real pockets too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Good! The pockets are a tiny, but at least they are real! xxx

      Delete
  13. I agree that we should keep trying to write about positive things and things we love- who knows what might happen-do what we can,whilst we can.
    Your charity shop finds are brilliant! I love all of them and the King Louis coat is marvellous! The green dress is really gorgeous- nice to see YOU wearing it rather than Angelica- it looks ace with pink!
    I must say, you really are the queen of the Belt! I think you have more interesting ones than anyone else I know!
    Happy Bessieversary- she really is a sweetie!
    Happy blogiversary too! Six years!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie! Trying to stay positive is all we can do, really. Some days are better than others. Today is great as the sun is shining and I'm on holiday for a week! xxx

      Delete
  14. Happy six years!
    You first outfit is divine! Love the colors and the way you put it all together.
    Our mask mandate ended today. We too will still be wearing our masks. The kids wore them to school as well. When they come home I will find out how many of there teacher's and classmates did the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hena! I think it's a good idea for your kids to still be wearing their masks to school. xxx

      Delete
  15. "and back to the time machine." LOL And yes, furry creatures do enrich our lives like nothing else! Your sweet furry friend sure looks like a cat I had when I lived in Alaska back in the early 80's. It had 6 toes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joni! The time machine reference is kind of a running joke in my blog :-) xxx

      Delete
  16. The world is so chaotic right now - I can't watch the news either, Ann. Thank goodness for our furry friends and their comfort.

    I love your vivid green ensemble - those boots are fabulous with it. Dresses that make us twirl are treasures.

    Love that King Louie coat! And all the pockets are real? Catch me before I swoon! They don't make 'em like that anymore!

    I actually kind of like the Venus' head in the succulents. :)

    Take care, my dear - happy 1 year anniversary of dear Bess becoming a member of your fam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! Agree on dresses that make us twirl. And pockets, even though they are tiny! xxx

      Delete
  17. Congratulations on your blogoversary! Mine will be 7 years in November. How time does fly. You are perfectly right your blog is a place of escape and your happy place.Nothing should spoil that.

    What fabulous outfits. I loved that first colourful dress with the amazing green cardigan and brilliant accessories and the green plaid dress and pink was a delight. You also found some beauties in the charity shop. The ochre jumper is what I call a really useful item as it will go with so much of your wardrobe; I loved the pleated skirt and the belt with giant buckle. The colourful skirt (I bought one ,too) and the trousers - do wear them outside of the house they look very cool and very comfortable. As for the coat I expected the label to say 'Polyester Princess' it's so you! The wee scarf was perfect with it.

    I'm so glad Venus got her head back and as for Bess being chez PP for one year already; I can hardly believe how quickly that has gone. She is a gorgeous cat and rightly deserves to have 2 faithful servants meeting her every need!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! I agree the King Louie coat should have had a Polyester Princess label instead. Still not 100% sure about the trousers, but I will definitely give them an outing. xxx

      Delete
  18. Starting the blog with some feline cuteness overload is the best thing possible. Bess is a star.
    I love your dress.
    Congrats on blog anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jubilant 6th blogging anniversary month wishes, dear Ann.

    I well remember the very early days of your site and the instant connection that we shared. It is one which, happily, has only grown stronger over the years - arguably all the more so when I returned to blogland myself at the start of 2020.

    Thank you for six incredible years of your eloquent writing, amazing outfits, sublime fashion finds, amazing local + travel settings, darling kitty snaps, and for being the warm, wonderful light that you are in the blogging sphere.

    Here's to the next six and well beyond! :)

    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Autumn! You're really making me blush with your wonderful comment. We did indeed have an instant connection, and I remember you leaving comments from very early on, which I was really over the moon about, as I had been following CV for a long time by then! xxx

      Delete
  20. Happy blog anniversary Ann and happy first for little Bess, where has that time gone.
    You are not alone in finding all the world happenings overwhelming . I think we need to be aware and as Vix suggested help as we can but also focus on things we can control. I know we think alike on the benefits to our well being of the art of composing our outfits and sharing them with like minded friends. Your dark floral is beyond wonderful. Take care dear Ann.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am also someone who has to limit their media for their own mental health so I get it. I think focusing on creative things is a good pastime and it cheers others up too!

    Happy cat-iversary! and Blogiversary!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Belated congrats on your Blogoversary!, and sorry that I'm so late in my commenting!
    Lovely outfits, lovely accessories and totally cheering me up with your style and fabulousness!, this is something I'm grateful for these days!
    Sending hugs and cuddles to Bess too!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica, and once again, never mind about being late in commenting. I'm late in replying too :-) xxx

      Delete