Friday 29 January 2021

A touch of frost

Lately, these damp and dismal January days have been leeching what's left of my energy levels. I feel like I'm just going through the motions and, left to my own devices, my non-working days would be spent reading and what my lovely blogging friend Lynn delightfully calls fiffing and faffing. Nothing wrong with that, I can almost hear you think, but I absolutely hate not being my usual energetic self.

I often wonder how I managed to blog two times a week while working full-time, but perhaps having oodles of time is just counterproductive! Now don't get me wrong: I love blogging as much as I ever did and my blog has been more than a lifeline during the past 10 months. It's just a matter of serious amounts of procrastination! 



OK, that's quite enough of the latter. If I don't get my skates on, I'll still be blogging about these January days in Spring!

My journal has now reached the end of January's first full week and that Friday was just another one of those grey and rainy days. With the temperatures hovering between 5°C and freezing point, the day's precipitation briefly turned into melting snow.

The perfect weather for one of my wool blend skirts which, however, wasn't my first choice that day. 

I was determined to wear the Nordic style H&M cardigan I'd scored at the charity shop earlier that week, which I'd hung up ready for wear after its gentle cycle in the washing machine.



I'd already picked out the brown blouse as well, as it was long overdue an outing.  With the majority its biscuit and off-white print - which always puts me in mind of bullrushes - near the hemline, it was obviously meant to be worn on top rather than tucked in. However, it looked just awful worn with the skirt I'd originally earmarked, which was quite a bit wider than I'd remembered and made the proportions all wrong.

After a bit of trial and error, this rust brown skirt with its subtle burnt orange checks turned out to be perfect for the job. I paid homage to the checks by wearing a shiny burnt orange belt at my waist and did some secret matching with my opaques as well, offering you a sneaky peek of them in the first collage.



Here's a closer look at some of my stuff. Both the enamelled butterfly brooch and the tiger eye pendant were picked up at the sorely missed monthly indoor flea market. It saddens me to realize that its last edition was in the weekend of 7 and 8 March 2020. Will we ever be able to go back, I wonder.

Flea markets might be off-limits for now - and quite unimaginable too - but we are counting ourselves lucky that we can still go for a rummage in the charity shops, offering some well-needed diversion and change of scenery when the weather isn't on its best behaviour.



That day, we decided to widen our horizons and go to our favourite shop, the one in Duffel near the park, for the first time since February. We'd been avoiding it as it tends to be quite busy and as it is laid out on three floors, requires the use of narrow staircases or a rather cramped and excruciatingly slow lift.

Before we go in, here's a look at my outerwear. You've seen my green fur-collared wool jacket, multi-coloured knit scarf and purple mohair beret before, so that they need no further introduction.



The shop turned out to be reasonably quiet, the first indication of which was that we easily found space in their parking lot rather than having to use the car park at the edge of the park.

I found a pair of pristine brown boots, which I'm already wearing in the outfit photos we made after we got home. They are replacing the pair which have been downgraded to walking boots.

My other finds were a vintage pussy bow blouse (left) and another King Louie frock (right). You'll get to see me wearing both very soon, so that I'm limiting myself to the patterns here. Oh, and there's grumpy old Phoebe too, as I needed another photo to fill up the collage :-)



Saturday morning came with a surprise! I actually gasped when we raised the kitchen shutters and looked out on a garden which looked as if a pastry chef had come along and sprinkled it with icing sugar.



It was a gorgeously sunny day so, after our fruit and yoghurt breakfast, I hurriedly got dressed,  put on my new-to-me boots, grabbed my camera and dashed outside. 

Even with the temperature flirting around freezing point, there was no time to lose, as the relative warmth of the sun would soon do away with the frosty jewels adorning our garden.



My newly acquired King Louie dress got its first outing. It's a bit shorter than I usually wear, reaching to just above the knee, but I'm alright with that if I can wear it with opaques!

When I tried it on in the charity shop, I marvelled at how fabulous it looked with the burnt orange opaques I was wearing, so they were the obvious choice.  Then I layered it with a tangerine t-shirt, while a chunky long-line orange cardigan went on top.



Finding the dress too plain without accenting my waist, I wore a fabric covered sky-blue belt, which tied in with the blue beads joining the off-white, brown, yellow and orange ones in my favourite necklace. 

The shiny coral paste brooch is one of the oldest in my collection in terms of ownership. People are usually incredulous when I tell them it's H&M, and I've actually seen it being sold as vintage at the flea market! 



Meanwhile, I kept snapping away in the garden as I couldn't get enough of its iced beauty.

How enchanting are the frosted remains of the honesty pennies! And I thought that the woolly lamb's ear (Stachys byzantina) leaves on the top right looked uncannily like winged angels.



Look at that poor ivy leaf trapped in the solidly frozen water in our bird bath. Not that I've ever seen a bird bathing in it, its main function being Phoebe's outside drinking bowl!



By noon, most of the hoarfrost had gone, only leaving tiny patches in the shadiest spots, but for a brief couple of hours we enjoyed the winter wonderland which had descended on our garden.



Sunday was another gorgeously sunny but chilly day with highs of up to 3°C. 

The perfect day for our socially distanced walk and meet-up with Inneke and Maurice. We'd agreed to meet at the so-called Artist's Entrance of the sculpture park and although I'd brought my camera, not many photographs were taken as we were far too busy chatting. After all, we hadn't seen each other since ... July! Oh Corona, so much to answer for ...



We tried to stay off the well-beaten paths as it started getting more crowded as the morning proceeded towards noon. At one point, while we were already making our way back to our cars, a police car appeared on the main path as if out of nowhere. We presumed they were checking if it wasn't too busy and whether people were keeping to the rules. 

Who could ever have imagined such strange happenings this time last year?



We drove back home after saying goodbye to our friends, vowing to make this a regular thing. Now, all we need is a date and some decent weather!



As most of my outfit was covered by my bottle green, fur-collared Winter coat - only just visible in the collage - here is what I was wearing underneath.

I was wearing double wool to combat the chill, starting with a thick knit black vintage jumper embroidered with flowers along its square neckline.

The grey, white and black plaid skirt is vintage too. It is 100% wool and lined and weighs a ton. Some more secret matching went on underneath, as I was wearing 120 denier red opaques.



Again, I felt the jumper and skirt were too plain on their own, so I added a red elasticated belt with a plastic flower buckle, which came with a dress I no longer have. I donated the dress but naughtily kept the belt!  A string of swirly turquoise beads completed my outfit. 

Again, I wore a beret to hide my hair which looks a mess if I haven't washed it for two days. I'm not holding out much hope that our hairdressers will be allowed to re-open soon, but surely one is allowed to dream!

Meanwhile, haircut or not, I keep doing my best to stay safe, sane and fabulous, and I hope that you are all doing the same!



52 comments:

  1. That first outfit in warm earth tones is so pretty. I really like the Nordic style H&M cardigan with the brown blouse and rusty brown checkered skirt. I do like the subtle checks on the skirt. The belt is very pretty as well, matches the blouse and the skirt nicely. I also like the butterfly brooch and that lovely necklace.
    It is nice you were able to find those fab brown boots in that shop- and wear them already.
    I like your new King Louie dress. The knee length is lovely. I think knee and midi are my favourite lengths. I also like how you layered this dress. A great outfit.
    Beautiful frost photography! Lovely hiking outfits as well.
    Your double vintage and double wool outfit is fabulous. I like the flowers on that jumper. I always like embroidered items. The skirt is fantastic too and how great it is underlined with wool as well. You dressed very stylish but also sensible for combating the cold.

    I hear you on the blogging process. I find it easier to blog when I work full time. It is much harder when I do freelance or when I'm unemployed or semi-employed or anything like that. Having a routine job really helps with my blogging schedule. Having regular working hours makes blog feel like a treat, a nice hobby...and when I'm worried about other stuff, it is hard to find energy to blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! I think that my blogging routine went out of the window when my working routine changed. I'm still blogging as regular as before, even if sometimes it doesn't go like clockwork ... xxx

      Delete
  2. * I mean to write- lovely hiking photos, not lovely hiking outfits- not that everyone's outfits on that hike weren't lovely- they absolutely were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew what you meant, Ivana, no problem :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. I really like the first outfit with the brown shirt and rust skirt together, and the green dress looks fantastic with the orange, as does the bright accessories you added to the jumper and skirt outfit at the end :)

    I'm enjoying not having the commute to the office as it means if I'm up before the kids I can spend a little extra time on the blog but honestly I never seem to be caught up with it either, despite in theory having all this extra time, haha!

    Hope that you are having a good weekend! :)

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica! I'm hearing you, and I'm so glad I'm not the only one ... xxx

      Delete
  4. Blogging is a constant game of catch-up! There are the posts, then the comments, then visiting other bloggers and responding to their posts! Rinse, repeat! I took a break from responding to comments for a couple of years, as I was just too busy with work and actually posting 5+ times a week. At 3-4 times/week now, it still feels unmanageable at times.

    I love your pictures of the rimed plants! So lovely! And I laughed at Grumpy Phoebe. Your black/grey outfit is my favourite - I would wear the entire outfit! Your new King Louie dress is excellent, and a great colour. It bugs me when I see fast fashion brands being sold as vintage.

    I'm glad you were able to see friends! I miss my friends so much...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! I've often wondered how you do it, and often quite lengthy posts too. In the beginning of my reduced hours, I temporarily posted every 3 days instead of every 4, but that soon went out of the window :-)
      On our charity shops' retro day, there's often lots of retro among the vintage. They should know better! As for that brooch, lots of people seem to assume it's vintage, but if you know your stuff, it's obvious that the clasp is all wrong! xxx

      Delete
  5. I'm finding it hard to get motivated right now as well. Partly the time of year, I suppose.
    The new dress is a great length for you-you have terrific legs, and it gives you an opportunity to show off your colourful tights.
    Glad you were able to have a socially distanced meet up. That must make things a bit more bearable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Goody! I often feel a bit lethargic at this time of year, so that certainly is a factor. I only wish we had some more perspective! xxx

      Delete
  6. Imagine, the police checking on regular people in the park, on a hill, with their children outside. That sounds more than weird to me ... ????? Not long and they are checking on people's thinking, I'd better stop here ... Today is a bad day! xxx all the best, Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, but I also know if they leave it unchecked, people will flaunt the rules left, right and centre. xxx

      Delete
  7. I am so pleased you were able to catch up with your friends for your socially distanced walk. Your frosty photos are wonderful. I am always pleased when we have a frost as a sunny , clear days always follows. I always enjoy your outfits and today's outfits are no exception. The black jumper with its embroidery is just lovely. Your impressive beret collection will do the trick covering your hair. I am so impressed you could blog twice a week while working full time , I seem to only manage once and most of the time I only work two days. Take care Ann. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill. Having a husband who is retired and doing more than his fair share of the housework is a great help! xxx

      Delete
  8. very glad you could meet your friends finally!!
    and your garden looks magical with the ice!
    as with to much time on your hands - as a long life self employie i can say one has to have a plan! especially for days without actual tasks/ work to do. STRUCTURE! i use to plan my days thru, scribble it down (calender or plain paper) even if it´s only for housework or sorting out the atelier and going for a walk - and blogging. but - no pressure of cause :-D
    love the first and the third look - both look cosy and chic!
    hugsies! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate, and I am definitely hearing you on the structure. It seemed to work in the beginning but lately not so much. I started this week with renewed energy but that soon went out of the window since Phoebe is poorly :-( xxx

      Delete
    2. oh no! what happened to sweet poebe?
      i hope she recovers - its always heartwrenching when our furry babies are ill.......
      biggest hugsies! xxx

      Delete
    3. Dearest Beate, thank you so much for your concern. It pains me to tell you that we had to say goodbye to Phoebe today. I cannot stop crying ... xxx

      Delete
    4. dearest ann!!
      i´m so very sorry. i know how much you miss little phoebe..... the most beautiful black hole in the universe <3
      sending you strong hugs.
      (excuse me - lost your email adress over a computer change....but if it helps you, write me)
      xxxx

      Delete
  9. I'm glad you were able to meet up with your pals and spent it chatting rather than snapping away, it's good to live in the moment!
    How fabulous to still be able to stop, that chazza sounds enormous!
    The frosted garden looks gorgeous especially the honesty with its dusting of icing sugar.
    Your outfits are fab especially the last one. We don't see you in black very often and that jumper is just lovely. I hate when you have an outfit in your head but it doesn't work when ou try it, your substitute skirt looks good, though,
    I'm with Beate on the structure. I've been self employed for 15 years now and always have a rough plan of my day, not rigid but enough to keep my occupied and out of trouble.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix. Most of our chazzas are quite big, but this one with its 3 floors is indeed enormous!
      Following your and Beate's advice, I started the week with a rough plan for each day. I did well on Tuesday and OK on Thursday but it's back to square one today as Phoebe is quite poorly :-( xxx

      Delete
  10. Haha! I know what you mean. Having oodles of time does lead to excessive fiffing and faffing! OMG!!! That multi coloured bead necklace is to die for!!! Love it!!

    Thank you for posting the pictures of your pretty outfits and the frosty landscape. It’s a feast for the eyes!

    Happy thrifting ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I'm glad you know what I mean. It's a relief to know I'm not the only one :-) xxx

      Delete
  11. Hi Ann
    Thank you for the mention and link and yes I’m still faffing. The frosty garden looks so pretty. I remember Philip’s mum cutting the honesty in her garden to display in jugs in her home.
    As I’m looking at all your well coordinated outfits I can’t help thinking how interesting it’s going to be to see the colours and textures change as we move towards spring. Although we won’t be taking our opaque tights off for some time yet will we.
    To meet up with your friends is so nice. It’s one of the things I’m longing for.
    Take care xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn! And yes, I'm sure we'll be wearing those opaques for quite a while yet :-) xxx

      Delete
  12. I'm totaly in love with that grey skirt! And that beautiful brown blouse, I would wear it with that gorgeous brown and cream skirt that you showed not so l long ago. It seem they are a perfect match. I know you don't like matchy matchy though. The title of course is a lovely memory of one of my favorite detectives! And I think yours too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy, and you know me so well already! And oh yes, Jack Frost is certainly one of our favourites! xxx

      Delete
  13. I love all of the orange you're wearing obviously;) but also really like the black folk style flower embroidered jumper. I've got a real taste for folk inspired clothes lately.
    I'm glad you got to go for a walk with your friends.
    The frosted garden photos look beautiful. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally! I've got another one of those flower embroidered jumpers in purple. With the sub-zero temperatures that have been forecasted for the next days, I'm sure it will make an appearance soon! xxx

      Delete
  14. Nice post, Ann! The brown shirt is well enhanced by the pendant and the brooch with the theme colors! I like it! Nice that you found treasures in your favorite shop. Your garden really seems to be under a veil of ... sugar! Beautiful pictures!
    Hugs, Carmela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carmela! That hoarfrost does look like sprinkled sugar indeed :-) xxx

      Delete
  15. Love your frost pictures :) They are amazing. Every day I get up and I see this grey sky...arghh the whole january. Hope for February ;)
    Great you can see your friends.
    with a very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! I know, hasn't January been wet and grey? So far February hasn't been much of an improvement, but we're still early days, aren't we? xxx

      Delete
  16. Oh I love it the third outfit
    All the loks are great
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely outfits and your finds were brilliant. You seem to have a special boot radar as you seem to pick up fab ones all the time... I thought you'd managed to pick up a bargain priced cat as well!

    It was lovely you got out to meet your friends and the photos of your frost covered plants were beautiful. I agree about the leaf that looks like an angel - angel leaf!

    Hope your mood is lifting as we see more signs of Spring everyday.

    Take care
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! I hadn't found any boots or shoes for many months, but I've found two more pairs since this post. Not that I don't have enough of them already :-) xxx

      Delete
  18. Smashing outfits. Especially love the black embroidered sweater. Those photos of the flowers are so beautiful. we have almost two feet of snow outside right now.. and it is still coming down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hena! We've got snow forecasted for this weekend and part of next week. Very pretty to look at I'm sure, but no longer pretty if you have to go out in it :-) xxx

      Delete
  19. Delightful outfits. I always appreciate the vibrancy your attired houses and the wonderful, expressive ways in which you accessorize. You are a total style icon!

    What a splendidly lovely jumper that black one with its sweet, charming floral neckline is. Definitely something I'd gravitate towards as well.

    Many hugs & wishes for a safe, serene, and very happy February coming your way, dear Ann.

    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, Autumn, surely that's too much praise! I have to add that I did learn a lot from you in the Chronically Vintage days, which might also have been an incentive to start my blog. I don't think I ever thanked you properly for that! xxx

      Delete
    2. Dearest Ann, to say that you've touched my heart to its very core would be a sizable understatement. Thank you deeply. I'm honoured by your words and truly grateful for the blessing of our long-standing friendship. May it only continue to deepen and flourish all the more with each passing year.

      Immense hugs,
      Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

      Delete
  20. Love your biscuit and brown outfit, the prints and the brilliant accessorizing!. And so fabulous 'secret matching'!, mwhaha, it's so lovely that you match your tights even if no visible (I do it too!).
    Love your green dress with the orange cardi and tights, such a fantastic colour combo! and fab necklace too!. I always admire your wise use of belts to enhance your figure, I have to give them a try.
    Lovely photos of your frozen wonderland, so whimsical and amazing!.
    And so lovely that you could enjoy a walk with friends and have a chat with them. Great idea to meet them in the park, hope that this becomes a routine when warmer days come.
    Love your 'monochrome' outfit, love the way that red accessories enhance these red embroideries. You Rock It!.
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! I couldn't stop making photographs of our frozen garden, it was totally magical.
      I'm sure we'll be meeting up more when the weather gets better. It has been raining a lot here, and it's too muddy everywhere! xxx

      Delete
  21. I'm finding my energy levels down and my procrastination levels way up, I'm just going with it, pretending it some kind of human hibernation.
    Your new boots are lovely, and the green dress a triumph. What fabulous finds!
    I love the way frost transforms the outside world, it can make even the most ordinary plants come alive.
    I'm glad you got to have your walk after postponing. It's so nice to see friendly faces these days, it feels like an age since I've seen anyone other than family.
    Take care
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it exactly, Hazel, human hibernation! That's what I'll be telling people henceforth. We haven't even seen any family for months. It really is heartbreaking! xxx

      Delete
  22. You really suit a beret! I meant to say in my last comment, how very pretty you looked in your wedding photo!
    The butterfly brooch is so delicate!
    Ah, the turquoise fur collared coat is so nice! I'd like to see it with those scrummy boots!
    MMm, the pristine boots are lovely!
    The garden looks breathtaking with all the icing on the plants!
    The King Louie outfit is SO cheerful! I loved the combination of colours.
    Your hair looks so nice with the berets- it's a good thing you are wearing them so much!
    My hair is looking SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooo ratty! It really need to be cut now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie! Hurray for berets, they've definitely been life savers! My hair is so brittle, dry and yet, ratty too. Luckily our hairdressers are allowed to re-open, and I've already got an appointment for later this month! xxx

      Delete
  23. Your garden looks beautiful all covered in frost!

    Hopefully your energy levels will return once the sunshine does and we're all able to do more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mim! It's bitterly cold here right now, and there's quite a bit of snow, but the sun is out, and I can already feel my spirits soaring! xxx

      Delete