Monday 7 December 2020

Jewels of a year grown old

We're well into December by now which is feeling quite unreal. The final month of a year half-lived: a constant balancing act between despair, reluctant acceptance of a new reality and the odd, flickering spark of hope. 

The year's darkest days are encroaching on us and if they always have a tendency to make me feel quite maudlin, this is especially true this year. The fading light is making it almost impossible to pick out the positives from the long row of negatives 2020 has presented us with. The gift of time versus the loss of freedom to go where we please and without fear? As much as I appreciate the former, the latter remains a bitter pill to swallow.

But I'm getting ahead of myself, as my blog hasn't caught up with the calendar yet, being still firmly stuck in November.



The weather on the month's penultimate Sunday wasn't much to write home about: an utterly miserable day on which darkness ruled, the granite grey sky joined by light but persistent rain in the afternoon.

We'd waited all day for a break in the clouds so that we could nip into the garden for outfit photos, but when this still hadn't happened by mid-afternoon, we had no choice but to take a couple of snaps indoors. None of which were very good, I hasted to add, the one on the right being the best of the bunch. 

The dress with its groovy green, orange and brown print was an old Think Twice find. I've included some close-ups taken in proper daylight a couple of days later which, apart from the print, allows you to have a better look at my necklace and my belt with its tortoise shell buckle, a flea marked and charity shop find respectively.




For want of something better to do, I continued with the kitchen cleaning I'd started the previous days, taking the time to dust some of our shelves of kitchenalia, which I'm sure you'll understand is quite a time consuming task!

Lunch was Jos's yummy homemade Winter vegetable soup.

The afternoon was spent hibernating reading on the couch, making things cozy with cinnamon and vanilla scented candles and tea-lights burning cheerfully inside amber coloured 1970s coffee cups.



I'm skipping Monday's humdrum office day to arrive at Tuesday, 24th of November which, in total contrast to Sunday, was a gorgeously sunny day. 

With the temperature still hovering in the region of 10°C, it was the kind of life-affirming day that implores you to go outside and explore.



Racking our brains for a suitable place to wander around, we decided on a nature reserve called De Walenhoek, which we last visited in high Summer.

Situated in Niel, a village about 10 kilometer from where we live, this is another reserve which has been established on the site of former clay pits.



When clay extraction came to an end here in the late 1970s, the local residents and town council joined forces with the fledgling nature conservation movement to achieve something which was quite unusual for that time: they saved the former clay pits from being turned into a waste disposal site.

The result is today's reserve comprising 60 hectares, and offering an enchantingly varied landscape of large ponds and pools bordered by reed beds and dense thickets. There's a largely fenced-off wooded area as well, which is being grazed by Galloway cattle, and is home to rare fungi and mosses.


I was wearing my favourite green fur-collared jacket again, this time accompanied by a multi-coloured knit scarf and a tan Burberry beret.  I've had the scarf for so long that I can't remember where it came from, but I do remember the beret was picked up at Think Twice.

I exchanged my ruined boots for a pair of fleece-lined chocolate brown ones, which were last year's retail buy. 


The dark brown dress, with its symphony of white and yellow spots, arranged into squares on its box-pleated skirt, was yet another Think Twice find. 

My necklace, an arrangement of wooden disks, as well as my belt and opaques, picked up the yellow in my dress's print. To its bodice, I pinned a large off-white oval brooch containing a picture of a lady, which I found at an outdoor flea market several years ago.



Dotted around the reserve are some of the remnants of its industrial past, completely taken over by the forces of nature and the passing of time.


Narrow paths separate the twenty or so pools and ponds of varying sizes and depths, all vying for first price in a natural beauty contest, and eliciting wows around every corner.



In Summer, lush and sprawling vegetation tends to hide some of the smaller ponds from view, but in late November, with only a handful of glistening golden leaves left on the otherwise bare trees, the reserve's innermost secrets are revealed.


On this still and golden Autumn day, the unrippled surfaces offered mirror-like reflections picturesquely framed by skeleton twigs and branches. 

Time seems to stand still here, even if only for a moment, until suddenly it's there again, triggered by a trick of the light, or the chug-chug sound of a distant train passing by: a dawning realization that nothing is quite as it seems.



The weather continued to be good-natured on Wednesday, my second office day of the week. 

As always at the end of a sunny late November afternoon, I was regaled with the most spectacular sunsets from the first row of my office window. 

And then it was Thursday. I'd woken up with the craving to wear a particular red-hued dress, which I soon realized was missing from my wardrobe. Hoping against hope that I hadn't sold it and that it was still lurking inside one of my flea market boxes, I dived into our bedroom's built-in cupboard, opening one box after another. 


Alas, my search was in vain, but what I did find was this luscious floral velvet skirt. A charity shop find back in December 2016, it had become a tad too snug and was thus relegated to the to-be-sold pile. Gingerly trying it on, I was overjoyed that it fit me again, so all thoughts of the elusive dress disappeared from my mind, as I was determined to wear the skirt there and then.



To keep the skirt company, I opted for the ginger cat blouse I paired it with the very first time I wore it (here).

I did wear a different belt this time, an unstructured burgundy one with a big circular buckle, and instead of an orange necklace, I chose a string of olive coloured wooden beads. The ginger cats were joined by my faux Lea Stein cat brooch.

A burgundy fluffy cardi, curry coloured opaques and sage green suede ankle boots completed that day's outfit.


Rummaging through those flea market boxes unearthed a couple of other forgotten treasures, like these two dresses which I'm offering a second and final chance to rejoin my wardrobe.



I'm concluding this post with some jewels from our garden, which I caught with my phone's macro lens.

It seems that the moderate temperatures and the mix of sunshine and rain has been tricking the garden into thinking the flowering season isn't quite over yet. 

We used to laugh at one of our local garden centres, whose generic plant signs proclaimed that the plants they were selling would flower until November.

Well, this foursome is certainly living up to expectations and beyond!

On that note of positivity, I am wishing you all well and hope that you keep on staying safe.

Hope to see you again next time!



37 comments:

  1. The short days really are a bummer.. I look forward to when the days are long and bright again.
    You are so blessed to have so much nature around you.
    You look wonderful, love your jewelry picks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hena! Not long now to the Winter Solstice! xxx

      Delete
  2. That sunset looks equal parts nature's spectacle and alien invasion. Glad it didn't turn out to be the latter (2020 being as it is you can't be too sure). The dark, short days are unpleasant for sure, but we're almost to the turning point come 21 December. After that, slowly but surely spring starts coming. Who knows, perhaps your garden will still be thriving. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, you can never be sure of anything this year! Almost made it to 21 December, though! xxx

      Delete
  3. It's hard to keep one's spirits up - this pandemic feels like it's been going on for SOOOO LONG. And truly, it'll be over a year until things get back to normal, I'm sure.

    I love your pretty dress - I can see the colours fine in your kitchen, although I do appreciate the close-ups of the pattern (it reminds me of Aztec designs). That is too bad about the missing red dress, but what a nice surprise to find that velvet skirt and then to have it FIT! Huzzah! It's definitely a silver lining, and made only better by that dear cat blouse.

    I love that you have so many nature sanctuaries around your city. That is amazing. I'm so glad they didn't let this become a waste dump. The glorious sunset is incredible.

    Hugs to you, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila, sending you a very big hug right back! xxx

      Delete
  4. The weather here in the UK has been awful Ann. It was dark at 3.30 pm today! I await the 21st of December so that I can celebrate the start of lighter days! I'm glad you got some comfort of going out on your sunny day. It's what we need to do isn't it xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather's been very up and down here in Belgium. But at least the hour's difference between us means it doesn't get dark quite that early here ... xxx

      Delete
  5. oh, I totally agree about the poisoned chalice of having a lot of free time, but not having any freedom of movement. Anyway, I'm trying to make the most of my cosy home, even if crocheting is a forbidden activity (which annoys me). But I have a lot of books to read and some planned excursions on mind.
    Sorry for the poor lighting to take photos, I totally understand. But you deal with it nicely and your orange and green dress looks fab!. Love these colors and cool print!
    Your winter soup looks like the comfort food we love too!. And love your photos on the natural reserve, the golden light and the reflections of the trees are so atmospheric.You look particularly fabulous in this background, your dress is stunning, and love how the yellow accessories enhance it!, gorgeous!
    Glad that you found this floral velvet skirt (even if the red dress is still missing!), and love it with the cats printed blouse and burgundy details!. Actually, this cats print has put a smile on my face!!
    My geraniums are still blooming madly, even if we had some hail yesterday!. Love that you're taking advantage of your new phone, these photos are fab!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So annoying that you're not able to crochet! Reading does make up for it a little, though, as does going on excursions when the weather permits! My geraniums are all still blooming as well, perhaps not as madly as before, but I'm thankful for each flower! xxx

      Delete
  6. How beautiful is that first dress. The pattern makes me think of art deco. The green, orange and brown fuse together beautifully and I like the necklace you wore it. Another great Think Twice find. I also love the printed dress you wore to your hike in De Walenhoek. I have never heard of it, nor of the village in the vicinity, how nice to learn of new places and visit them virtually. The brooch you wore with this dress is beautiful. The outfit featuring a floral velvet skirt and a floral shirt is fantastic as well. You are always dressed so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! I'm not surprised you have never heard of the nature reserve nor the village. I think that even here in Belgium there are lots of people who aren't aware of their existence! xxx

      Delete
  7. soup and candles and cosy clothing - best things for cold winter days!
    and a walk out in the nature of cause!
    what was the reason to put this dresses into the "for sale" box - they´r so much you......?
    hugsies! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ps@photos: we had some good results with the flashlight in the dark evenings during winter..... xx

      Delete
    2. We will have to give that a try. I'm usually not too keen on using flashlight, but your photos in the dark are truly amazing! xxx

      Delete
  8. "a constant balancing act between despair, reluctant acceptance of a new reality and the odd, flickering spark of hope"

    This is so true, and so tiring. I am glad I can see my students every day. They are the reason to get up in the morning. I have a mission to make their lives ligher. It's uplifting to interact with them. However, I am tired.

    I'm glad the holidays are just around the corner.

    All the best!

    Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it is extremely tiring. I'm glad to hear your students are your reason to get up in the morning! xxx

      Delete
  9. What a glorious sunset, I love the view from your office window.
    You managed some lovely sunny weather for your vitamin D enriched nature walk.
    I also loved the yellow wooden brooch, it's a great shape and such a warm colour.
    With a decidedly gloomy day outside the window today, it's been nice to have a sunshine fix! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally, I never tire of that view from my office window! And I'm thankful for every non-gloomy day! xxx

      Delete
  10. You've got so many lovely open spaces to explore, haven't you? I'm happy that the reserve didn't become a dump, as thing so often do here!
    The lack of light is frustrating but its only a matter of weeks until the days start getting longer - hooray! I struggle with indoor photos, my camera flash bleaches the life out of everything.
    All your outfits look lovely especially the one by the pool with your favourite jacket, a photo worth framing! Frustrating for you about the dress but a great result with the velvet skirt and the other two dresses.
    Jos's soup look delicious and your flickering candles very cosy indeed.
    Sending love to you, Jos & Phoebe! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! We do, and there's quite a variety too! Can't wait for the days to start getting longer again. It is such a struggle to take photos and we often forget and leave it too late, and then it's too dark to go outside! xxx

      Delete
  11. Lovely outfits as always, Ann. I love the velvet floral skirt and a blouse with ginger cats is so appropriate for a cat lover like you!. Isn't it great when something fits when you thought it wouldn't? I'm also loving your chocolate brown long boots.

    It's amazing how quickly nature takes over and what a wonderful nature reserve that is - I'd be keeping my eyes open for birds if I went there; especially reed buntings which I'm sure you have.

    The weather is so depressing; we've had several days of freezing fog which was awful; but the winter solstice will soon be upon us and then the days get slightly longer.

    Those flowers are full of cheer!

    Take care and stay safe,
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! Ideally, it should have been a blouse with black cats, but I'm sure Phoebe doesn't mind :-) Those chocolate brown boots are a delight to wear, I really have to force myself to wear my other boots! xxx

      Delete
  12. It is really a difficult time. You are absolutely right. Often it still seems very unreal to me. But that's no consolation. It just has to get better soon.
    i love your walk outfit. You look very pretty in it and the photos are lovely. Time to take a deep breath.
    Hope for sunny cold days. Fingers crossed. With a very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! I have that too, that often it still seems very unreal to me! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one, and I'm not going mad! xxx

      Delete
  13. P.S Those flowers are truly beautiful. I noticed that this year flowers have kept blooming longer and the leaves also started falling later than usual...the nature has been fooled thinking that the winter is still far away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana, yes, I do think nature is being confused! xxx

      Delete
  14. The sunset looks amazing! Love your green fur collar jacket.
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like your Tuesday polka dot dress and even if you didn't find the dress you were looking for it's good you could rummage through your wardrobe and find some other forgotten pieces! It's always fun finding pieces you forgot about!
    Hopefully the last month of the year will be a pleasant and relaxing one for you. We are lucky here as things are getting back to normal slowly, although it's looking like we may not be in the office for some time still.

    Hope that you are having a nice week :)

    Away From The Blue | Handbag Gift Guide

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica, and I am glad to hear that things are slowly getting back to normal over there. I wish I could say the same! xxx

      Delete
  16. Very nice pictures and fantastic Styles!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It really is a gut sinking sensation when you suddenly long to sport a given garment (or accessory) and cannot find it for all the world. I'm sorry that your red dress proved elusive (and may perhaps have gone on to a new home). The skirt that you unearthed in the process is such a beauty! It's deep, earthy meets regal hues are a wonderful compliment to these last, ever-chillier days of fall.

    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Autumn, and yes, I am sure the dress has gone to a new home. But I have other red dresses, and am thankful to have found that velvet skirt! xxx

      Delete
  18. Using those amber glass cups as candle holders is a great idea. It must give a lovely light. And how nice to be able to get into a favourite skirt once again! Though I do hope you find the red dress at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mim, they do give a lovely light indeed. The red dress, I'm afraid, isn't to be found, so it must have gone to a new home. Oh well. xxx

      Delete